Start by marking “Regent (The Balance of Power, #1; World of Godsland, #4)” as Want to Read:
Regent (The Balance of Power, #1; World of Godsland, #4)

Regent (The Balance of Power #1)

Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity...
In the years since the end of The Herald War, the world has become complacent despite Catrin Volker's warnings. When the darkness of her visions comes to pass, no one is prepared, and the fate of humanity will rest in her hands.
Humanity is not alone.

The World of Godsland Young Adult Epic Fantasy Series includes:
Published October 21st 2011 by White Wolf Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Regent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regent

Gracy
Aug 21, 2015 Gracy rated it liked it
There was a lot about this book I really liked, but unfortunately also a lot I didn't like.
The main character, Catrin, is a strong female mage who communes with dragons and in a lot of ways is excellent - innovative, brave, fiercely protective of those she loves. But she is far too often portrayed as crippled by pointless guilt and indecision that clashes with the rest of her personality.
The plot is good - it keeps moving, no stagnation, and while nothing was 'GASP' surprising there were plenty
Caffee K.
Feb 15, 2015 Caffee K. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves fantasy
Shelves: rathbone
The action doesn't stop. With the new trilogy in his Godsland series, Brian once again takes you on a gripping adventure through new areas of his world, introduces new characters, and reveals more of the horror that lies at the center of the evil investing the world.

This tightly woven tale continues the saga without a break. The new characters show all the typical pre-teen issues you could expect. Especially for boys living in the shadow of an icon. Yes, most of us will want to take those same b
Kikuvian Yaslana
Dec 13, 2012 Kikuvian Yaslana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly have to say I was very disappointed in this book. It starts by jumping an unknown number of years (we knew Catrin WAS 15 and now suddenly she has a teenage-sounding son). The drama is overly drawn out and weighs the whole book, practically drowning the story underneath. Every battle (and there's plenty of them) is Catrin experiencing "more power than ever before" and each strike against her is "feeling like her soul was being torn apart". And the use of power has become unrealistic. T ...more
Jean Brandenburg
I had the feeling I should have read a book before this, even though it is called Book One. There were lots of places where they talked about what happened before, and gave you some idea, but not details. This is a fantasy with telepathic dragons and people able to pull energy from the air and comets and spirit travel (though there aren't many of these people. Lots of dragons some good, a lot very evil) There are also demons and black hordes. There was almost always 2 separate story lines and so ...more
Kim
Jan 12, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series but I am constantly wondering how Cat is supposed to be the most powerful but is constantly coming up against a super power that thwarts her at every turn. This book is full of fighting....demons, dragons, giants, inner turmoil within the hold, and with each other. I'd like a bit more story line and Cat actually learning about her power instead of just trying things out and finding, hey, I can do that!!! I realize that if it was easy for her there wouldn't be much suspense but ...more
Raven Stormbringer
Continuing the tale started in the first trilogy, but picking up more than a decade later. While jumping from persona to person, to see what is happening with each character when they are separated, can be a useful tool, it can be a nuisance and distraction when it is over used. At times this book felt like a soap opera, in the sense that most of the 'scene changes' were cliffhangers. It started to become more annoying than exciting.
Aside from that, I enjoyed the book and am continuing the serie
Diana
Sep 02, 2015 Diana rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, I liked the entire prior trilogy. The story line was pretty good, but the writing reached a new level of annoyance. At least every other page there was a "never before" "guilt" "never seen"....or can't do, impossible, blah, blah blah and this was for most of the characters.

How can something be the worst/most dangerous/never seen again and Again and AGAIN?

It was so annoying I had to put it down every few pages. The only reason I finished it is because I kept h
Kla
Jan 17, 2015 Kla rated it liked it
I felt as though I was missing valuable information about the main character, as I did not know there were books before this series that would have been important to read. While I love action packed books, it seemed as though the author didn't give the readers time to breathe from the constant struggle of an impossible battle. The battles left me feeling as though I was drowning because of the lack of hope that the author fails to create for the readers.
Alissa Chandler
Jan 09, 2016 Alissa Chandler rated it did not like it
Vague, lost,

Throughout the entire book I kept wondering if I had missed the books previously published. References to previous events that weren't part of the current situations or storyline.
Constant fighting in the "spirit realm" seemed monotonous and added to the lost feeling throughout the book. Storyline is muddled and surrounding descriptions vague
Nicole Mackey
Wow. So action packed, I had a hard time putting it down. Catrin, with her dragon, Kyrien, faces as enemy unlike anything she has seen before, and she is the only one standing between her loved ones and total destruction.

Brian crafts some really intense battle scenes for this one. My mind is still buzzing. I can't wait to see what he has in store for Feral.
Kristine Vigil
I'm torn on my review (2.5 stars)

I enjoyed but also disliked the book. The plot was great the characters were great, but I just could not stay in the book. Maybe I will need to read it again at another time but then maybe the book really is boring. Not sure. I won't recommend the book to friends at this point but don't let my review stop you from reading the book either.
Richard Preston jr
Feb 08, 2015 Richard Preston jr rated it liked it
Great adventure

Regent has a lot of action in it. Getting all the characters down is a little difficult being that there's so many and it is skipped around a bit. Overall though it is a good story line which is the most important thing. I will read the next one the hook was set late in the book but it was set.
Donna Kinsaul
Mar 10, 2014 Donna Kinsaul rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the series

Series don't always live up to the first book but this series keeps delivering and leaving you wanting more. There a lot of action and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I can't wait to read the next and I know I will be sad when it is over.
Erik
Oct 13, 2014 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I started with this book and paused reading halfway to read three previous Call of the Herald, Inherited Danger, and Dragon Ore. I purchase Dragon Ore and got three other books for free. I like the book and have also purchased next book in the series : Feral.
Patty winrod
Sep 19, 2014 Patty winrod rated it it was amazing
Very good book

if u like fantasy and Dragon wars u will enjoy this book. lots of adventure intrigue and great story but need to read all the books to understand why the characters are fighting
Tracy Sanzo
Dec 11, 2014 Tracy Sanzo rated it it was ok
I found this book choppy, disconnected and vague. It was difficult to get through, the ending is not an ending, so reading the next book is like the next chapter to this one, I assume. Frankly, I'm not that troubled about what happens.
Naomi
Mar 17, 2014 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book may have been good if you had read the 1st trilogy, but this is not a stand alone book. I read 250 pages of the 550 pages and just could not get in to the story and had no idea what was going on in those pages.
David Clark
Oct 21, 2013 David Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fist book after the trilogy, and about 10 or so years has passed. The book started out way to slow for my liking. Then an explosion of activity occurred and the book kept up the pace for the rest of the book.
Jairus Reddy
Mar 16, 2012 Jairus Reddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy a while back. If you love hardcore fantasy, Brian Rathbone is the writer for you. He's vivid, his characters are alive, and I couldn't put this book down. Five stars.

Jairus Reddy
Nanny
Jan 01, 2015 Nanny rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Can't wait for next book in series!
John Young
Feb 17, 2014 John Young rated it it was amazing
A great continuation.

A great continuation.

This book picks up about eleven years after the last book. It brings the new enemy into the story. Enjoy the story.

Abby Miller
Apr 23, 2012 Abby Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to read an advanced copy long ago. I read it again a few months back, and if you enjoy in-depth fantasy, this is the book for you.

Abby Miller
Beth
Oct 22, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just say NO to Amazon Invasion.
Apr 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. At times, the book was a bit long-winded, but overall it's worth the read. Without a doubt I'd recommend to any fans of fantasy.
Brad
Aug 14, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book in the series and really ended in a cliffhanger can't wait for the next book.
Netta Strickland
Feb 27, 2015 Netta Strickland rated it did not like it
very boring hard to see where story going.
Rajeshwari
Sep 07, 2013 Rajeshwari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome narration,... brilliant book,..
Kellie Dipiro
I won't read the rest of this series. The continuation of Catrin' s story no longer appeals to me.
Silvia Zanna
Sep 29, 2016 Silvia Zanna rated it it was ok
Nice book, but the previous series was better.
Many good points, but maybe too much fighting. Situations are sometimes confused.
Sephone
I gobbled up the first four and am awaiting more.
The World of Gods...: Announcements 1 11 Dec 18, 2011 09:07AM
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • Everflame
  • Awaken (Fated Saga, #1)
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • The Battle of Verril (The Book of Deacon, #3)
  • The Gatekeeper (The Marenon Chronicles, #2)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Cloak
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • The Lady Astronomer
Fantasy author Brian Rathbone
A former horse trainer and computer programmer, Brian Rathbone used his old world knowledge and love of fantasy fiction to create The World of Godsland fantasy series, which begins with The Dawning of Power trilogy.

The World of Godsland fantasy series includes:

Regal
The Fifth Magic
Dragonhold
The Seventh Magic
More about Brian Rathbone...

The Balance of Power (3 books)
  • Feral
  • Regal (World of Godsland #6; The Balance of Power #3)

“Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity.” 228 likes
“The true measure of a person can be seen in the way they treat those less powerful than themselves.” 1 likes