Start by marking “Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal, #1)

Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The Impostor Princess...

It’s the stuff of fairytales: Hannah agrees to help out a princess, and within hours finds herself engaged to a king! But this dangerous charade has to end fast – the electrifying chemistry between them feels far too real!... and the King!

Zale’s royal bride-to-be looks like the pampered princess he’s being forced to wed – yet she transforms into a f
Published December 2011 by Mills & Boon (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not Fit for a King?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Fit for a King?

Not Fit for a King? by Jane PorterEssence of Midnight by Julie KennerFor The Taking by Lilian DarcyWinning The King by Nicole MurphyThe Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
King as Hero in Romance
1st out of 40 books — 4 voters
Crystal Cove by Lisa KleypasOne Week with the Best Man by Andrea LaurenceThe Fix Up by Tawna FenskeThe Billionaire Takes a Bride by Jessica ClareThe Alpha's Temporary Mate by Victoria Davies
Fake Fiance/Boyfriend/Spouse
12th out of 21 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex is The Romance Fox

Wow…this is a total OTT fairytale, where it can only happen in a Mills & Boon story…which is of course one of the reasons I love their books.
Jane Porter is one of my most fav romance authors – I love all her books…my favorite is her Galvan series which is awesome and have reread each book over and over again.
I find her writing emotional and her characters always so engaging even if at times some things are so farfetched…but hey this is fiction after all…and we do want Cinderella to get her p
RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
Heroine agrees to impersonate a princess who happen to look like her except for the hair coloring. The agreement is to pretend to be her to her fiancé Hero for a few days until the princess finishes up what she set out to do, go back to Hero’s country, and switch places with her unnoticed. The problem is that the princess keeps delaying her return & heroine is left having to keep Hero from cancelling his wedding to the princess. Heroine’s efforts to keep him from doing so become more involve ...more
Carol Storm
Nov 02, 2012 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It was fun to see a Texas girl get a chance to be a princess! I loved how Zale was not just a king but a soccer star, a track star, and even a surfer! The hero's personal losses and his family tragedies were handled well and added depth to his character. Raguvia is a made up country but I really enjoyed the minor Raguvian characters and especially the quaint little hotel Hannah stays in at the very end.

SPOILER ALERT

The one thing that really annoyed me about this book
Diah Didi
I ... loved ... it
I know it's very typical, that's exactly what I thought at some first pages.
Some may think it's cheesy. So it's very light and quick-read indeed. But I found out I enjoy it a lot.
And having Paul Marron on the cover, it's pretty easy for me to visualize Zale. *drooling
Zale ... what a name. Never encountered any novel with that name. And I like it. Most of time, I'm not really interested with hero from Arab and others, Italy, Russia, Spain ... But I was so drawn to Zale.
I loved
HÜLYA
Oct 02, 2012 HÜLYA rated it liked it
Yıllar önce okuduğum bir Barbara Cartland romanına konusu neredeyse birebir benziyordu..Bu ikizli konuları çok seviyorum..Kaç kere okusamda hiç sıkılmıyorum...Hepimizin bazen masala ihtiyacı oluyor...Hannah kendisine benziyen prensese yardım ederken işlerin bu kadar karışacağını tahmin edemezdi..Belli bir süre sadece bir günlüğüne onun yerine geçecekti ve zamanını da otelde geçirecekti..Ama plan tutmadı..Bu prensesin evleneceği adama da aşık olarak işler dahada karıştı...Çok sevdim..Ne yapayım.. ...more
Tia
Jul 26, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
This is actually part of a series, I read Emma's story a while back and wondered if there was another book that had Hannah's story. This one was that! I really liked hearing what happened on Hannah's end, we know that Emma got her wish of a 'prince' and now it was Hannah's turn. It didn't disappoint. I loved the heroine and was so grateful she got her happy ending and baby. The hero was kind of brooding but he was likable as well and turned out to be such a great guy.
Moran
I enjoyed reading Zale and Hannah's story.
It was a romantic story full of emotions and chemistry between the hero and heroine .
I can't wait to read Emmeline story soon!
Cece Cons
Dec 17, 2015 Cece Cons rated it it was amazing
Such a great book the twist had me on my feet it wasn't completely like all the others like it. Truth be told I didn't see half of this happening great read!
Tawnya
May 24, 2013 Tawnya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really impressed with storyline. Unlike others I've read, this storyline had a lot of originality.
Jessica
Jun 29, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Aww this was such a cute book! It was definitely like a fairytale, but that's exactly how I like them! The characters are so lovable and they go through so many trials to try and be with their one true love.

Hannah is a girl everyone can relate to; she's not super skinny, she doesn't always know what the right thing to do is, and she's just a normal girl. Well, until she meets a princess who looks EXACTLY like her, switches places with her, and finds herself drawn to the princess's fiancé. And b
Kelly
Oct 03, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
My Rating: 3.0

Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

I was so glad when I won Fit For A King? though a goodreads first reads giveaway. I always loved reading situations of a real royalty member falling for a regular everyday person, such as the book The Princess and the Pauper written by Kate Brian. Fit For A King? was like The Princess and the Pauper: a real princess and a normal everyday girl swapping places with one another.

I love how Jane Porter executed the book. Every moment was filled
Marlene
Jan 14, 2013 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Princess Emmeline and King Zale are to be married. Their soon to be (arranged) marriage has been known since Zale was 15. However, Emmeline has been having an affair throughout their one year engagement. While in Palm Beach, Princess Emmeline meets Hannah. Hannah is the spitting image of Emmeline. Emmeline asks Hannah to switch places with her for a few hours so she can go out and not be recognized as the princess. What was suppose to be only a few hours turned into days. Hannah ended up flying ...more
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Sep 12, 2012 Donna McBroom-Theriot rated it it was amazing
In the first book of the series, we meet Hannah, personal assistant to Sheikh Makin Al-Koury, and King Zale.

Hannah, while overseeing a polo match for the sheikh, meets Princess Emmeline who’s resemblance to Hannah is uncanny. Little does she realize that her life is about to take a 180 when the princess asks her to switch places for a few hours.

When a few hours turn into a few days, she is forced to board a plane to meet the princess’ intended, King Zale.

King Zale, expecting a pampered pri
Figlet
Jul 23, 2012 Figlet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-romances
Five stars, you guys. Seriously.

Besides the instantaneous attraction between our hero and heroine, besides the well-written maturation from lonely king who keeps himself from love to avoid being hurt to open and trusting man, besides how awesomely real our heroine is even for a typical mistaken identity princess tale...

This book contains the single most erotic passage of any book that I have ever read. I know that's a heady statement to make, but I read this like a month ago, and haven't forgo
Michaela
Sep 26, 2015 Michaela rated it it was ok
Great concept but poorly executed. Emmeline just came across as selfish and I really don't understand how that could be remedied in the sequel.
Ltlmer2
Nov 14, 2014 Ltlmer2 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scribd, top-rated
Great story all around. Very touching and I was really invested in the characters which is rare in a category romance. Will definitely be reading Emmeline's story too
Annalynn
Aug 15, 2012 Annalynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't quite believe I'm rating this 4 stars, but of all the books I took with me on vacation, I enjoyed this the most. Its totally, as one might say, a f@#$ng fairy-tale, but who can resist the story of separated-at-birth twin sisters, one a small town Texas gal and the other a European princess, who trade places? This story just focused on our Texan masquerading as a princess and the king she falls in love with, and I must confess to being very glad I checked it out from the library. Now to l ...more
Jacqueline
Oct 27, 2015 Jacqueline rated it did not like it
extra 1/2 star
J.R. Newell
The plot was beyond silly, even for a Harlequin Presents, but I found myself enjoying the book all the same. The author did a good job with creating an alpha male hero with a sweet side, which is a tough balancing act. The heroine was a bit of a dope but had to be in order for the story to work. And the ending was a bit too simple and unrealistic - it was actually the reason I couldn't give this book more stars. However, this author writes well and I will probably read more of her books in the f ...more
Janet
May 17, 2016 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Jan 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
excellent read
Dalia

It was a decent read, but I m not usually a fan of royalty romance, I think they are OTT fairy tales that has nothing to do with reality or real people. I couldn't warm to Hannah, I couldnt find any plausible justification for her behavior to pretend to be princess Emmeline, or to continue the charade for so long, and most of all I couldn't go past the fact that she slept with Zale, Emmeline s fiance, under false pretences. That kind of ruined the book for me.
Lenore Kosinski
Jul 23, 2012 Lenore Kosinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, harlequin
3.5 stars -- It was nice to get back to just some light Harlequin reading... I always seem to enjoy Ms. Porter's books, and this one was no exception. It was hard how long Hannah kept Zale in the dark, but I enjoyed watching them fall in love with each other and that won out in the end for how I overall enjoyed the book. I'm disliking Emmeline at the moment though, so will be interesting to see how I enjoy the next book....
Lorretta
Jul 07, 2012 Lorretta rated it it was ok
I received this through the GoodReads Giveway.

This was what I assume is a typical Harlequin type of book. Quick to read, improbable plot but fun. It took less than an hour to read and did cart me off to an imaginary scenario.

It's a typical switch places, fall in love, hide the truth, reveal the truth, despair and finally the inevitable happiness.
Diane
the premise of this book is totally off the wall, but the author manages to almost make the reader believe it. in this day of computers, super security, identity theft, etc., it's impossible to think that one woman substituting for another without extensive preparation, can happen with the imposter pulling it off for any length of time.
Elisabeth
Sep 25, 2013 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
This book I simply loved. To me it's one of Jane's best Harlequins so fare. It was so easy to be drawn in to the story and connect with the characters. Very well written. I can't wait to finish reading Book 2 in Jane's Royalty Duo, "His Majesty's Mistake". This book, "Not Fit for a King?" is Book 1 in Jane's Royalty Duo.
Monica Tillery
Jul 27, 2012 Monica Tillery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Porter does it again! This is a beautifully written modern-day fairy tale. I was captivated by the story, unable to put it down while the characters made their way towards their happily ever after. It's a must-read, especially if you're looking for an escape this summer.
Janine
Feb 05, 2013 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-porter
Wonderfully fun! Wouldn't you love to change lives with someone who looks like you and live their life for the day? Hannah trades places with the princess, Emmeline and gets more then she bargained for. She falls in love with King Zale. I couldn't put this book down.
Christine
Apr 26, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Yes, it was a predictable storyline but that didn't take away from this book. It was written well and I loved it! Hannah was a breath of fresh air from Emmeline. Zale, wow a HOT King! and they did make magic! HEA :-)
Odessa Nance
Jul 20, 2012 Odessa Nance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was a twist from the usual Prince and Princess stories.
  • Dealing Her Final Card (Princes Untamed, #1)
  • The Dangerous Jacob Wilde (The Wilde Brothers, #1)
  • Waking Up in the Wrong Bed
  • A Legacy of Secrets (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #1)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • A Very Private Merger (Dynasties: The Kincaids #6)
  • An Inconvenient Affair (The Alpha Brotherhood, #1)
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • What Lies Beneath
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • His Marriage to Remember
  • The Couple Behind the Headlines
  • Married to a Mistress (The Husband Hunters, #1)
Born in Visalia, California, I'm a small town girl at heart. I love central California's golden foothills, oak trees, and the miles of farmland. In my mind, there's nothing sweeter in the world than the heady fragrance of orange blossoms on a sultry summer night.

As a little girl I spent hours on my bed, staring out the window, dreaming of far off places, fearless knights, and happy-ever-after endi
More about Jane Porter...

A Royal Scandal (2 books)
  • His Majesty's Mistake (A Royal Scandal, #2)