Start by marking “The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales” as Want to Read:
The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales

The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The majority of the pieces in The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein, and Other Gothic Tales feature characters and storylines that have previously made appearances, sometimes many times over, throughout the history of supernatural horror. This is not unusual. Like cannibals or vampires, authors have fed off the flesh and blood of one another’s creations in vari ...more
Signed hardcover, Revised Edition, 98 pages
Published October 2011 by Centipede Press (first published 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales

Stephen
Today’s Motif is PAIN...whether physical, emotional, psychological or spiritual, we are talking warm buckets full of agony, trauma, battery and destruction...with added art.
Photobucket

These are brutal, beautiful flash fiction codas to a host of the elite gothic stories of all time, penned by one of the masters of modern cerebral literary horror...Tom Ligotti.

Among the pantheon of great ideas, the inspiration behind this collection belongs up there with Post-it Notes and the iPad.

From the title story ext
Randolph Carter
Droll Ligotti take on the classic monster stories. The only problem is it is like a one joke comic. However Ligotti keeps it blessedly short. Only Ligotti could get away with issuing this as a "book."
TwitchyRedPen
Mar 23, 2016 TwitchyRedPen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ebook
Fan fiction about classic horror, written by someone far too convinced of his writing's artistic merit. The preface goes on longer than any of the stories to tell you just how clever and twisting and painful these stories are. Painful is right.

Plots are basically "What if this story was EVEN WORSE OOOOOO" [holding flashlight under chin]; writing is the present tense tone of someone telling you about their day with about as much narrative skill as you'd expect from someone who insists on telling
Tyler Gable
Dec 12, 2015 Tyler Gable rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash
I got this in a pack of a bunch of ebooks from Humble Bundle. I'm unfamiliar with Thomas Ligotti's work, and after reading this, I have no desire whatsoever to track down any of his other books.

"Agonizing Resurrection" is pointless garbage, with no more skill or insight than a 1st year creative writing course submission. Ligotti does nothing more than take the ending to various classic horror stories, then rewrite them ~with a twist~ (what if Victor Frankenstein's was placed in the body of anot
Doug
Jan 28, 2014 Doug rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, weird
The conceit of this short anthology is to re-examine many classic horror stories—from novels, movies, stories, and [in one case] biography—with an added dash of pain. To re-examine them, in very quick form (a page or two, a handful paragraphs), with an element of keen insight into the humanity of the characters.

Generally speaking, many of them deal with loneliness, broken hearts, and betrayal. The semi-titular tale depicts Frankenstein's corpse being used in a similar-to-his-own experiment, wit
Steve
Sep 08, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-fiction, horror
Though not as powerful or deeply engaging as some of Ligotti's better-known work, The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales is nevertheless a clever and entertaining read.

In Songs of a Dead Dreamer, Grimscibe: His Lives and Works, and even in the shorter pieces of Noctuary, Ligotti usually employs a heightened and somewhat old-fashioned mode of expression. In contrast, the language in The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales has a p
James Taylor
Mar 25, 2016 James Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of this anthology is to re-examine many classic horror stories in brief form; a couple of pages. The book itself is short too and can be comfortably read in a few hours.

The brevity of each story means that it often reads as a set of notes or a draft chapter. Reading from one paragraph to another can feel very disconnected when the context jumps from the past to present, or from one location to another.

There are stories containing Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll & Hyde, The Wolfman, Dr
David Bjorne
Aug 01, 2014 David Bjorne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange collection of vignettes based on well-known horror stories, and the creatures and characters within. Lots of suffering in this short, interesting read.
Andy
Jan 28, 2016 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you rate a book like this exactly? I don't have a lot to say about it. This is a short book, coming in at just over 10,000 words. It is essentially a dark look at the aftermath of various works and characters of Gothic literature. The traditional "villians" are here shown to be the real victims, lonely outcasts.

There's a good deal of humor here, especially in the earlier stories, but the stories gradually darken as they go. The Lovecraft and Poe stories were the most interesting I thought
Matej
Jan 08, 2016 Matej rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Collection of short stories (really really short) that feels more like a writing excercise than the actual writing. The idea is to take several well-known (and some less) horror stories, sum them up a bit and then add a twist at the end. And that is it. Nothing truly memorable, maybe one or two entries were kind of entertaining. I have never before read anything else by Mr. Ligotti, but from what i have gathered, he is supposed to be a not-that-well-known master of horror. This collection did no ...more
Hillary
Apr 14, 2015 Hillary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A set of "short stories" that are more story ideas than actual stories, based on fiction with monsters/the Other. Several of the stories I didn't recognize the source, which made the story idea make no sense. However, most of the ideas would have been interesting to read in actual short story form, with enough explanation of the source given to understand the story even if you haven't read the source.
J.
Ultimately, I don't know what this book is doing. I did enjoy a few of the stories, but many of them were about characters I'm not familiar with (certainly not the author's fault.) But even many of the ones where I did know the character reference, I couldn't figure out what the story was saying. Maybe the whole thing just went over my head?
Joanna
May 12, 2015 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This collection consists of a number of very, very short stories taking famous Gothic and/or horror stories and twisting them all so that they are just a little bit more worse than the originals. I had picked this up as part of a Humble Bundle and read through it in about an hour. I didn't care for it.
Eric Reitz
Feb 07, 2016 Eric Reitz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I feel sorry for readers who choose this as their entry into Ligotti's monstrous world. He is, of course, a terrific writer, but this is like a series of outlines that he barfed out in an hour's time while hepped-up on cough medicine. Thank goodness it was short.
Benjamin Uminsky
Jan 02, 2012 Benjamin Uminsky rated it liked it
Well,

This was my first foray into Ligotti's super short fiction. I can't say I really care too much for the vignettes... they ultimately left me feeling truly wanting of something more.

I certainly heard Ligotti's sardonic humor come through many of these vignettes. In fact, there were a few that left me feeling that I was listening to dark literary joke. Unfortunately though, other than some of the gallows humor, these super short pieces had very little impact on me in any meaningful fashion.

I
Jeff
Aug 07, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
This volume is an interesting read, if a minor addition to the overall work of Thomas Ligotti, the best living writer of weird fiction. These short pieces that extend the well-known narratives of famous works of weird literature (from Lovecraft, Poe, Stevenson, etc) are clever, occasionally thought provoking, and beautifully written. While best read one-at-a-time over an extended period, they're certainly worthwhile, but not at all comparable to Ligotti's original stories (as collected in other ...more
Jamie Grefe
Dec 03, 2015 Jamie Grefe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-theory
A creepy brew of dark comedy and the macabre with so many corridors through the caverns of classic horror tales gone joyfully mad.
Jason
Mar 20, 2015 Jason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I don't really understand the point of this. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was more familiar with the original stories.
Patrick
Mar 16, 2015 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I was expecting. Lots of short, interesting ideas. Not exactly stories as I think of them.
Jack Luminous
Miniaturki. Impresja o śmierci Lovecrafta - bdb!
John
Jun 07, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New classics on old twists.
Ariel
A collection of short stories, that while familiar with most of the stories based upon, am I slightly bitter as to having purchased this in a HumbleBundle. Call me uneducated (for it feels like most of the reviewers of this collection are big fans of this writer and horror in general), but I really couldn't enjoy this short story collection. Wish there had been a different substitute found in my HumbleBundle.
Justin J
May 23, 2012 Justin J rated it it was ok
Ligotti riffing on classic horror is not that good. the misanthropic humor of his other works doesn't shine through like it does in the Teatro Grottesco collection or the essays in The Conspiracy Against The Human Race
Pygment
Dec 31, 2015 Pygment rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I did not finish reading this. It's a series of really short stories that never gave me the chance to get into any of it. I just stopped reading.
Tlegg
Tlegg marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Haywan Al-Hashishi
Haywan Al-Hashishi rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2016
Hanna Miles
Hanna Miles marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Nikki Johnson
Nikki Johnson marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • The End of the Sentence
  • Muse of Fire
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • New Cthulhu 2: More Recent Weird
  • Inside Job
  • Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)
  • The Door to Saturn
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2015 Edition
  • Digital Domains: A Decade of Science Fiction and Fantasy
Thomas Ligotti (born July 9, 1953) is a contemporary American horror author and reclusive literary cult figure. His writings, while unique in style, have been noted as major continuations of several literary genres – most prominently Lovecraftian horror – and have overall been described as works of "philosophical horror", often written as philosophical novels with a "darker" undertone which is sim ...more
More about Thomas Ligotti...