Start by marking “Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease” as Want to Read:
Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease

Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The first years of human life are more important than we ever realized. In Scared Sick, Robin Karr-Morse connects psychology, neurobiology, endocrinology, immunology, and genetics to demonstrate how chronic fear in infancy and early childhood— when we are most helpless—lies at the root of common diseases in adulthood. Compassionate and based on the latest research, Scared ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Scared Sick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scared Sick

Deb
Oct 14, 2012 Deb rated it liked it
As a therapist/traumatologist I was very interested in finding a book that explained the connecting between early life trauma and the physical illnesses I was noticing in my clients hitting middle age. Also, as a member of my area's Trauma Institute, I was interested in fining a speaker on this topic to come to our annual conference. So I was very excited to learn about this work and to have the author come to speak to our members and local community of helpers. Overall I was able to cull some v ...more
Tom
Mar 22, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
I found this book a very good compilation of research informed by some of the new neurosciences, epigenetics and population research. There is a great deal to be gleaned from a careful reading of it. One quibble I have is the number of references that cite a telephone conversations that the author(s) had with some noted researchers. That is pretty weak, but there are many other useful sources in the notes pages.
Begins with a deeply concerning picture of the ‘health’ of the American population wh
Roslyn Ross
Apr 01, 2013 Roslyn Ross rated it liked it
The first chapter is really annoying: it's all because of childhood trauma! Obesity, everything! Because definitely kids today are more traumatized than kids in the past ever were.... But after that the book is really interesting. I have actually read quite a few of the studies referred to in this book so I can't say much of the information was new to me but I can say this book was not boring, definitely written in a "sensationalizing" style, which I enjoy but also find a little over-the-top and ...more
Michelle
Mar 07, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Important, but dry, and not what I expected or wanted. Recommended for people who plan on having children. Full review: http://bit.ly/ZGeCki
Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Elizabeth
Tirzah
Jun 30, 2012 Tirzah rated it really liked it
Love the biological and neurological pieces. So important, yet so overlooked in the healthcare system. Not to mention how early childhood trauma, dismal parenting/care-giving and weak family systems lie at the heart of just about everything wrong in our culture. Toxic adults taking care of vulnerable children...scary! Without intervention, it's a viscous cycle of repetition, when those same kids grow up and have children of their own.
Susan
Aug 26, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
The premise - that early childhood trauma and, in some cases, trauma visited upon our grandparents, can leave us more vulnerable to diseases in midlife - is fascinating and the authors offer up plenty of evidence to back up their claims. Made me wish I'd paid more attention in biology class.
BetsyD
May 15, 2012 BetsyD rated it really liked it
This was thought-provoking--especially for the child of a highly-stressed mother. However, I don't believe for a minute that induced labor causes the childhood habit of procrastination and lack of motivation, so I take some of the cited studies with a huge grain of salt.
Jac Thurman
Jun 02, 2013 Jac Thurman rated it liked it
It seems that so much of the book was adapted from Peter Levine's Trauma Through a Child's Eyes. Nevertheless, these authors team up to present a meaty literature review of traumatic experiences or ACEs on long term physical health. Very informative.
Donna Moreno
May 09, 2013 Donna Moreno rated it liked it
Good read for those who understand a bit of psychology. Important to remember that the book explores de possibility of sickness to childhood trauma. It's not a simple subject to read...
Luminousity
Nov 04, 2013 Luminousity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
Loved this book - valuable insights. Highly recommended to anyone working with those that have been through childhood trauma
Lauri
Jun 09, 2013 Lauri rated it really liked it
Loving all the research condenced in a very readable fashion. It has opened my eyes to why our society is so unstable.
Debra
Apr 11, 2012 Debra rated it it was ok
Would have been more intersting if there wewre more stories or well known cases to this..
David
Mar 21, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for trauma-informed therapists.
Amie Comeau
Jan 30, 2013 Amie Comeau rated it really liked it
Amazingly influential. Fight, flight or Freeze.
Claude DaCorsi
Claude DaCorsi rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Rebecca Sachse
Rebecca Sachse marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Anshel Bomberger
Anshel Bomberger rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Adam Ross
Adam Ross is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Nikhil Mehtaa
Nikhil Mehtaa marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Siggie Zaire
Siggie Zaire marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jaynie
Jaynie is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Johari
Johari marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Janice Doyama
Janice Doyama marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kchawla
Kchawla marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Remedios: Stories of Earth and Iron from the History of Puertorriquenas
  • I'm 35, My Eggs Are Rotting ... How's Your Sperm?
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Di et and Nutrition Claims
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • Total Recovery: Solving the Mystery of Chronic Pain and Depression
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing
  • Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression