Start by marking “Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment” as Want to Read:
Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment

Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment

Confederates in the Attic meets The Year of Living Biblically in a funny and original memoir

In Arkansas, there is a full-scale Roman fort with catapults and ramparts. In Colorado, nearly a hundred men don Nazi uniforms to fight the battle of Stalingrad. On the St. Lawrence River, a group of dedicated history buffs row more slowly than they can walk—along with author Char
Published May 24th 2012 by Hudson Street Press (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Man of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man of War

Leta
Feb 19, 2013 Leta rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable overview of reenactment in the US. As a former reenactor I particularly appreciated a passing reference to crawling out of a tent on a chilly morning after trying to sleep on the cold hard ground. Hot coffee is never so welcome!

I would say that the only thing Mr. Schroeder missed was how much time reenactors spend talking to the public, hoping to educate them on the time periods only to be asked The Three Questions over and over and how the Questions get turned into "Yes, but --
Mara
Jul 07, 2012 Mara rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a fun lighter read about a writer who decides to explore the world of historical reenactors, which leads to various strange adventures reenacting everything from Roman times to the Vietnam War. Schroeder is most likable when describing his journey from being someone who didn't care much about history to being a true history buff. One of my favorite passages:

"The more history I absorbed, the more I felt like a detective. Everywhere I looked, I examined things not for the way they are, bu
Alana
Jun 24, 2012 Alana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: val
Shelves: first-reads, 2012
absolutely phenomenal! schroeder combines fact, whit, and the 'realities of war' for a variety of periods. for example, i learned spainish pieces of eight were the first global currency. there were interesting tidbits mixed within his encounters with reenacters.
liberally sprinkied throughout were schroeder's whitty observations. my favorite was 'flatulus' the farting roman. (i nearly died of laughter while reading the "I, carolus" chapter!)
also, liked the fact that he shared when he got hurt
Jessica
Jul 06, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, history
"Have fun at the crucifixion!" Yeah, you just don't hear that very much anymore.

Charlie Schroeder enters the world of Historical Reenactment and runs the gamut of Roman Empire to Viet Nam. While Schroeader's book takes a look at the breadth of reenactments, Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic looks in depth at just the Civil War. I enjoyed reading both of them, but if I had to pick one to recommend, I'd go with Confederates in the Attic.

This is a good combination of entertainment and educat
Joan Burgess
Feb 20, 2013 Joan Burgess rated it it was amazing
I laughed from the title page until the end. Best book I've read in a long, long time. As an occasional reenactor (1750 give or take a decade) I understand the alure of escaping modern day. I've only experienced that "period rush" once but it's worth pursuing over and over again. You meet the most fascinating and entertaining people when you leave the 21st century. Even if you think you hate history read it. You won't be able to put the book down.
Michelle Veo
Aug 23, 2012 Michelle Veo rated it it was amazing
OK - this was a fun book! It became a bit disturbing in the Vietnam reenactment segment, but all in all just a lark. I love reading about sub-cultures and this certainly qualifies. People spend loads and lots of money being "authentic". Charles Schroeder is a great story teller and kept me amused and interested throughout.
Wayne
Mar 22, 2013 Wayne rated it it was amazing
A funny read for the reenactor or for one who wishes to get a glimpse in the world of historical reenactments. Would love a sequel, possibly some visits to europe? Many more groups and time periods to look into!
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 Barry Davis rated it it was amazing
Subtitled “My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment,” this whimsically entertaining and informative book follows the author through what he recounts as the following: “I’d traveled close to forty thousand miles, reenacted ten different time periods, read upward of sixty books, dressed like a Roman, a Viking and a friggin’ Nazi, been attacked by the British, French and Russians, nearly froze to death, nearly capsized a bateau, got heckled by “Justin Bieber” and even made some new frie ...more
Jody
Jul 12, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from goodreads giveaways.

This was an excellent book. It was funny, well written and informative. Charlie Schroeder took us on a journey into the life of the war reenactor. I have known some of these guys who reenact Civil War battles and I have always wondered what made them want to do that. Charlie answers that questions. He opens a whole new world to me. I am really impressed with how the book looked at this community of people who by their own admittance are some
Susan
Jun 16, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
Interesting account this author had with various reenactment groups. I found some experiences more fun and fascinating than others, but the dry wit came through with all the telling.

It seems that nowadays reenactors are few and far between so I'm hoping that this book may create more enthusiasm for this unique past time. It would be a shame for the public to miss out on a 'I was there' experience that these players put their hearts and souls into. And getting a history lesson is an added bonus.

T
Heather Bridson
Jul 26, 2013 Heather Bridson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I truly love this story! I used to be part of a medieval recreation group since High school, so hearing of someone trying out a group and learning history this way is wonderful. There is something special about stepping into the lives of people who have past before us. I am one of those crazy people who go to restaurants dressed as Vikings with others, it is so much fun watching people's faces when they see us, and the off chance someone will let us teach them some history along the way.
This
Charlotte
May 23, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it

I was a bit concerned while reading about his first experience during the WWII reenactment that it was going to be one of those "these guys are a bunch of redneck freaks" types of books, but for a Liberal guy immersed in a mostly Conservative past time he did a good job of staying pretty objective. He recounts several conversations he had with several of the reenactors about the "whys and whats" of their involvement and it was really interesting. He even d
Ron
Aug 17, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it
I finally got this title added to my reading schedule earlier this year and finished it. Once I got going, Man of War was an easy and entertaining read. Charlie Schroeder takes the reader on a series of adventures with reenactors doing WWII attacks on Stalingrad, Civil War clashes in Florida, Romans vs. Celts in Alabama, French and Indian War at Ft. Niagara, the Vietnam War in Virginia, and finishing with a Friar's walk in California. Along the way the reader learns as Charlie does that people c ...more
Katie Hurst
May 29, 2013 Katie Hurst rated it liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. From the summary I knew the author was going to take a humorous tone, but was concerned about whether it was going to focus on the oddballs of the reenacting world. I was happy to discover he was able to be respectful and tease a bit at the same time. Everyone knows about civil war reenacting which the author covers, but I really enjoyed the more tales of the more obscure reenacting groups like the vikings and scottish calvarymen. This is a great introduction f ...more
Michael
Sep 26, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Discovered this book by watching BookTV and seeing a segment with Charlie talking about this book and his experiences while writing this book. For a preview of the book you can watch the program via streaming video at:

I found this a very entertaining book that gave me an insight into those people who like to dress up like the people of old and spend their weekends trying to relive the past.

He takes us along as he experiences several different eras with th
Jason
Jun 30, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Man Of War is written by Charlie Schroeder who played Mr. Pussy on Sex and The City. The book is him narrating his way through historical reenactment. One day, he thought about how much he did not know about history, so he decided to find and join all of the historical reenactment groups that would tale him. He does everything from civil war times, all the way back to Roman times. I loved the book, it was very funny. And I never thought I would learn so much from Mr. Pussy.

* I won this book for
John
Feb 23, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of one man's year long journey through a number of historical reenactments. It was an interesting read to see some of the reenactments in a close up view. The author was able to convey what ti is like to participate in some of these events. Some of them are a bit scary in regards to what they are portraying (German Army on the Eastern Front in WWII) or some of the things that the participants will do (Vietnam).
Torieqwq
Jan 09, 2013 Torieqwq rated it liked it
The author spent 15 months traveling to and participating in various reenactment groups through the US, partially inspired by "Confederates in the Attic."

I enjoyed the book, but started getting a little lost in the various narratives, as the scenes shifted from group to group. Worth reading, but I prefer "Confederates," maybe because it stuck to one time period.
Don Cygan
Jun 08, 2013 Don Cygan rated it really liked it
Great insight into an interesting subculture (subcultures?) in America. Charlie is able to add humor as well as genuine respect for those of us in the historical reenactment community, and remind us that as much as we tend to "geek out" on our little hobby, in the end, you can't take it all too seriously.
Maryellen
Sep 28, 2012 Maryellen rated it liked it
Schroeder travels through history by becoming a reenactor. Easy read, some interesting points. Not as biting or profound as Tony Horowitz's Confederates in the Attic. Yet, if your thinking about reenacting history, a good place to find out what it's all about.
Heather
Jul 12, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely read, from the perspective of another (although temporary) re-enactor. It was enjoyable to hear about other impressions and time frames that I haven't had experience with--some of which I'd be interested in finding out more about (such as the Roman and Viking re-enacting)!
Leah Lucci
Aug 08, 2012 Leah Lucci rated it liked it
Pretty fun read. Not life-altering or particularly informative, but this man definitely suffered to create this, so kudos. (Much like The Lost City of Z, this mostly deterred me from pursuing the subject matter personally.)
Claudette
Jun 09, 2012 Claudette rated it really liked it
A very detailed look at the world of reenactors. Charlie Schroeder didn't just interview the people who reenact part of history, he actually joins in, which gives the book an insider's look at what goes on when people get together and reenact history.
Odoublegood
Jul 16, 2012 Odoublegood rated it really liked it
very entertaining; the subject was a fine approach to writing about a variety of topics; this book is good for reading aloud; got tired of seeing "stepped foot" and other expressions that should have been edited out; "fraile" was spelled "friale"
Tom
Jul 31, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
this book sounds like Fun! I do American Rev/Colonial reenacment. I am looking forward to reading the book
James Vachowski
Dec 31, 2012 James Vachowski rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome that it gave me PTSD. Charlie Schroeder is on the shortlist of candidates for my new OIF/OEF re-enactment society!
Julie
Jan 03, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
This story wad actually fun to read, as you got to know a little more about each of the wars/events he choose to reenact.
Naomi Lambert
Aug 15, 2013 Naomi Lambert rated it it was ok
A gently amusing book. It's certainly a window into another world. Not as laugh out loud funny as I'd expected, more poignant.
Tallbuilding
Apr 30, 2013 Tallbuilding rated it it was amazing
I like this book very much, I read it in hard cover form. I not only learned about history
but a little about myself. I swear that I was a Roman soldier in a past life, with a few
problems.
Kelly
Mar 07, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Not as good as Confederates in the Attic, but very entertaining! Made me laugh out loud at some points. He gets a little political, but nothing annoying.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Q&A with Charlie ...: My Influences 1 1 Jun 25, 2012 11:17PM
Q&A with Charlie ...: The writing process 1 1 Jun 25, 2012 11:15PM
Q&A with Charlie ...: Welcome 1 2 Jun 25, 2012 11:13PM
Q&A with Charlie ...: What exactly does one learn from reenacting? 1 2 Jun 25, 2012 11:12PM
  • Between Two Worlds: How the English Became Americans
  • Domestic Manners of the Americans
  • The Shakespeare Thefts: In Search of the First Folios
  • To Have And To Hold: An Intimate History Of Collectors and Collecting
  • Lives of Extraordinary Women: Rulers, Rebels (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Dungeons & Dragons  - One Woman's Quest to Trade Self-Help for Elf-Help
  • Sick From Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction
  • The Longest Afternoon: The 400 Men Who Decided the Battle of Waterloo
  • The Making of the Great Communicator: Ronald Reagan's Transformation from Actor to Governor
  • Hundred Days: The Campaign That Ended World War I
  • The Rarest of the Rare: Stories Behind the Treasures at the Harvard Museum of Natural History
  • That Book about Harvard: Surviving the World's Most Famous University, One Embarrassment at a Time
  • An Imperial Possession: Britain in the Roman Empire, 54 BC - AD 409
  • Worlds Elsewhere: Journeys Around Shakespeare’s Globe
  • The Participatory Museum
  • Chasing Shackleton: Re-creating the World's Greatest Journey of Survival
  • Half Slave and Half Free: The Roots of Civil War
  • Leaving Mundania: Inside the Transformative World of Live Action Role-Playing Games
I share the same birthday as Harvey Korman, Matt Groening and the adult film star Arnold Schwartzenpecker. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about me, well, then read on.

I've written for the NY Times, LA Times, New York Observer, Los Angeles Magazine and Readers Digest. A story I once wrote about people who fish golf course water hazards was selected for inclusion in the Best American
More about Charlie Schroeder...