Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)

Psion Gamma (Psion #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  950 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Sammy, a fourteen-year-old fugitive, accidentally discovers he has the powers of a Psion.

After months of instruction at Psion Beta headquarters, Sammy is selected to go on a stealth training mission. When the team is ambushed by the savage Thirteens, he is left for dead. Now, alone, he must survive in a hostile land. His search for help takes him deep into enemy territory...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 482 pages
Published October 21st 2011 by Jacob Gowans (first published October 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Psion Gamma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psion Gamma

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Best Young Adult Dystopian Novels
68th out of 316 books — 1,732 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Dystopian/Utopian for YA Readers
90th out of 212 books — 201 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim Alm
How is it that Jacob isn't more well known. This book is amazing. After reading it I now have a new favorite author.

The book is classified as young adult but I feel that is because the main character, Samuel Berhane, is sixteen. Yes there are shades of things that all teens worry about. These are interlaced amid a backdrop of a secret civil war. It can get pretty intense in places.

I read this very quickly. Not because it was short but because it was that good. Once I picked it up two or three ho...more
Lance
A terrific follow-up to Gowan's maiden voyage in self-publishing. The author's maturation as a writer is clear as the characters continue to develop. Having read the series to date, the fact that this author was self-published still fascinates me. How was this book not picked up?

I love the author's note at the end of the book. It certainly deepens the connections with the readers, in my opinion.

Ultimately, I think one of the more compelling facets of this book is the plausibility of this future...more
Kjirstin
Well, I think I liked the first book better... but I'm a sucker for the "training exceptional kids to be even more exceptional" genre. This one got into the realities of warfare and all that, and was consequently a bit more depressing. I think I'd have preferred to stick with only Sammy's viewpoint... during this book we were jumping from one person's head to another and all the extra viewpoints (with flashbacks) felt unnecessary, and all I wanted to know was how Sammy was going to do what he ne...more
Rebecca McKinnon
The second book in this epic series does not disappoint. Superbly written, with amazing characters and a plot that twists more than a pretzel. It was so good that I easily forgave the multiple flashbacks (I'm usually only good for a couple per book).

With this installment, we start to really see some of the nastier aspects of war, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone very young. There are some dark, creepy characters (one in particular) that are amazing.

I'm not-very-patiently looking forward to...more
Shelley
I think the writing markedly improved from Psion Beta. The story takes on whole new dimensions. We get to know some of the characters more intimately. New characters are introduced- some good, some horrid. There are some dark, ugly moments where we find out what steel Sammy is made of. There was more history, more emotion, more information than Psion Beta. I thoroughly enjoyed this book- great story!
Jeanine
This book clarified a few things in Psion Beta that weren't too clear. I still think these books have a great story line but would have been much better books with better editing. There was a bit more character development in this book and it would have been nice to see more of the back story in the first book. You care about the characters and want to know what happens to them.
Dave
Fantastic! Wow, I spent Saturday re-reading Psion Beta since my physical copy of Gamma was going to be coming on Monday. I finished Beta, and bought the kindle copy of Gamma and finished it Saturday night. Thank you Daylight Savings!!! I really enjoyed the sequel, and thankfully this one did not leave us on another cliff hanger. Great book. what are you waiting for, just read it!
Andrea
Psion Gamma really impressed me. The story of a teenager gifted with psychic powers unfolds in the previous book, Psion Beta. Whereas that was a light coming-of-age tale, Psion Gamma is a darker story that examines the world the Psion books are set in and the consequences of finding yourself on the wrong side of enemy lines.

I'll be watching for the sequel!
Eileen
I. Love. This. Book. The first one was very good, but this one is just riveting. The characters are great, it rings very true, and the suspense is great. I definitely don't recommend this one for younger readers, as even I find it pretty scary.
Blake Billings
This book was amazing. I got a kindle for a christmas present and bought five books all a part of series. I read Psion Beta last and it was the only book of the five that I immediately had to read the sequel. I can't wait for Psion Delta!
Danielle Young
Love part 2 as much as I loved part 1 and now I can't wait for part 3. Sammy is a great character and has been through so much in such a short time.
Stanton
If you liked Psion Beta, you'll love the followup. Read them both!
Jodie
This book is the 2nd book in the Psion series. In this book, Sammy is stuck in enemy territory. The master of the school Psion Beta, Bryon, realizes there is a traitor at Psion. His son, Al, becomes obsessed with finding out what happened at the failed misison. And Sammy's friends have to deal with Sammy's disappearance and thinking that he might be dead. I definitely recommend this book after reading Psion Beta!
Amy
I liked the second book better than the first. The writing seemed more polished. Overall, it was kind of a darker mood than Psion Beta... Sammy couldn't seem to catch a break. I was wishing I could go straight into book three, and I am really hoping Gowans will keep the quality of writing high with such a long series.

My Rating System
4.5 - Writing Style (Better character development and over all style than book one.)
5 - Kept me Awake at Night Reading (I had a really hard time putting this one dow...more
John
This is another great book in the Psion series. I find it very similar to the Bourne series. This book follows Sammy's struggle to return home and deal with the consequences of war. As a consequence of the story, this book takes a darker turn as Sammy deals with his inner demons and as more of the evil villains are exposed. Death and its injustice is a constant theme.

One minor criticism is that the story of his friends back at headquarters feels disjointed and breaks up the flow of the book. Pe...more
JC
This is the first book I've ever bought on my Kindle. After reading the ending of the first book in this series, I couldn't wait to start this book. Considering Gowans self-published these books I felt like I'd definitely support him in his writing as I really enjoyed the first book and this book didn't let me down. Sammy is still alive but must find his way home after being left behind in factory where things went seriously wrong. After finding out that he has been setup, he has even more reaso...more
Eva-Marie Stanger
Aug 10, 2012 Eva-Marie Stanger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All YA/Sci-Fi fans.
After finishing Psion Beta in less than a day, I immediately began to read Gamma. While the writer's style and intent is consistent with Beta, Gamma is a much darker book. Detailing Sammy's journey back home, Gamma is an exploration of humanity's true limits and the definition and limits of friendship. I felt that the progression and development of each character was expertly executed, and contained enough natural tendencies that I believe each character could be real. I eagerly await the publis...more
Patty Blaney
Really enjoyed this book...if you liked Enders Game series you would definitely like this as it has some of the same elements. This is well written and you don't want to put it down.
Mnoraznan
The world is fully realised and protagonist's tribulations is illustrated with aplomb.
Looking forward for the next one.
Matt
This book is really good. I spent almost the whole weekend reading it. I highly recommend this to everyone.
Brandon Jensen
The next book in the series presents a darker world than Psion Beta. Sammy is cutoff from his friends and "country" and there are some very mean people after him. There are a few downright scary characters in the book namely Queen and Stripe. I couldn't put this book down. I enjoyed the ending much more than in Beta and thoroughly enjoyed understanding Sammy better.
Not as light as the first book, but a better overall book and worth a read.
Jeffrey
This is the second book in the Psion series and if you liked the first you will see growth and depth in both the story and the author in a improved second book. Jacob does a great job in making the story deeper and has multiple chapters that are excellent storytelling. I highly recommend both this book and its predecessor Psion Beta and look forward to the book #3 Alpha.
Trevor
I liked Psion Gamma, but not as much as Psion Beta. The ending was definitely better since it wasn't a huge cliffhanger, but there was something about it that wasn't quite as engaging as the first book. I still read it in 3 days and will read the next one in the series though.

Good stuff from byujacob.
Dan Hill
The writing takes a step up from Psion Beta, but the tone is definitely darker, with some villains that definitely represent "evil". I enjoyed this book very much, and the author continues to provide unexpected plot twists, although the ending is less of a cliff hanger than what Beta left us with.
Pete
if the previous was explosive, this deals in aftermath shrapnel, muddied waters. I got a better sitiational (sometimes I miss-spell on purpose) view. there was quite a bit of wounding, recovering fallen heroes, losses, efforts to mitigate damage.

load up the next volume!
Rich
This wasn't as good as the first book.

The bad: Too many flashbacks for me. It seemed that every chapter had a flashback to the given character's earlier life. It was a lot darker than the first book.

The good: It was entertaining. I enjoyed the story.
Mike Burton
I just finished reading it yesterday and liked it just as much as the first book cant say enough good about the series i am a big time fan of the books now and cant wait for more to come out so Jacob needs to get the lead out and hurry up lol.
Christina Shaw
Jacob Gowans has done a fantastic job in creating likeable and interesting characters. I really enjoyed his work and I want others to see if they like it too. I personally like it better than Hunger Games. Let me know what you think!
Kim
I really enjoyed the continuing saga! Probably a 4 1/2 star. It kept me interested, the bad guys were really bad & the good guys made you wonder.... I enjoy the suspense & can't wait for the next book!
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • Shift (The Protector, #2)
  • Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • The Academy (The Central, #1)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 1
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 2: Awakening (Spinward Fringe, #2)
  • Brutal Asset (Demon Accords, #3)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
Psion Beta (Psion, #1) Psion Delta (Psion, #3) Psion Alpha (Psion, #4) Flight from Blithmore (The Storyteller Tales, #1) Fool and the Dragonox: A Prequel to A Tale of Light and Shadow