Start by marking “Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)

Psion Gamma (Psion #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,748 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews

Nook, 1st Edition, 482 pages
Published October 21st 2011 by Jacob Gowans (first published October 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Psion Gamma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psion Gamma

Tim Alm
Mar 02, 2013 Tim Alm rated it it was amazing
How is it that Jacob isn't more well known. This book is amazing. After reading it I now have a new favorite author.

The book is classified as young adult but I feel that is because the main character, Samuel Berhane, is sixteen. Yes there are shades of things that all teens worry about. These are interlaced amid a backdrop of a secret civil war. It can get pretty intense in places.

I read this very quickly. Not because it was short but because it was that good. Once I picked it up two or three ho
Lazybee
Dec 09, 2015 Lazybee rated it really liked it
Trust me, you will feel despair.
Lance
Jul 06, 2013 Lance rated it it was amazing
A terrific follow-up to Gowan's maiden voyage in self-publishing. The author's maturation as a writer is clear as the characters continue to develop. Having read the series to date, the fact that this author was self-published still fascinates me. How was this book not picked up?

I love the author's note at the end of the book. It certainly deepens the connections with the readers, in my opinion.

Ultimately, I think one of the more compelling facets of this book is the plausibility of this future
Jeanine
Jan 14, 2012 Jeanine rated it liked it
This book clarified a few things in Psion Beta that weren't too clear. I still think these books have a great story line but would have been much better books with better editing. There was a bit more character development in this book and it would have been nice to see more of the back story in the first book. You care about the characters and want to know what happens to them.
David
Mar 14, 2016 David rated it liked it
I started this immediately after finishing Beta. I did enjoy it, but I think the author could have used some help weaving together the two main storylines. For some reason, I could not get a good feel for how much time elapsed at various points in the story. If you were to read what was going on with Sammy and Toad as a whole, and then read the chapters back at Beta HQ, they do not feel like parallel stories in terms of how much time has gone by.

Adding a little more detail when slipping in and
Kjirstin
Jun 14, 2012 Kjirstin rated it really liked it
Well, I think I liked the first book better... but I'm a sucker for the "training exceptional kids to be even more exceptional" genre. This one got into the realities of warfare and all that, and was consequently a bit more depressing. I think I'd have preferred to stick with only Sammy's viewpoint... during this book we were jumping from one person's head to another and all the extra viewpoints (with flashbacks) felt unnecessary, and all I wanted to know was how Sammy was going to do what he ...more
Rebecca McKinnon
Jan 07, 2012 Rebecca McKinnon rated it it was amazing
The second book in this epic series does not disappoint. Superbly written, with amazing characters and a plot that twists more than a pretzel. It was so good that I easily forgave the multiple flashbacks (I'm usually only good for a couple per book).

With this installment, we start to really see some of the nastier aspects of war, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone very young. There are some dark, creepy characters (one in particular) that are amazing.

I'm not-very-patiently looking forward to
Shelley
Sep 23, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it
I think the writing markedly improved from Psion Beta. The story takes on whole new dimensions. We get to know some of the characters more intimately. New characters are introduced- some good, some horrid. There are some dark, ugly moments where we find out what steel Sammy is made of. There was more history, more emotion, more information than Psion Beta. I thoroughly enjoyed this book- great story!
Dave
Nov 07, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Wow, I spent Saturday re-reading Psion Beta since my physical copy of Gamma was going to be coming on Monday. I finished Beta, and bought the kindle copy of Gamma and finished it Saturday night. Thank you Daylight Savings!!! I really enjoyed the sequel, and thankfully this one did not leave us on another cliff hanger. Great book. what are you waiting for, just read it!
Ryan
Nov 17, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book along with the first one Psion Beta. Psion Gamma continues to follow Sammy as he makes his trek through CAG-infested territory(the U.S.) and eventually to his ride home. This book is great for anyone who loves sci-fi. I read this book really fast not because it was an easy read but because it was so intense at some parts.
Andrea
Jul 04, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Psion Gamma really impressed me. The story of a teenager gifted with psychic powers unfolds in the previous book, Psion Beta. Whereas that was a light coming-of-age tale, Psion Gamma is a darker story that examines the world the Psion books are set in and the consequences of finding yourself on the wrong side of enemy lines.

I'll be watching for the sequel!
Blake Billings
Feb 21, 2012 Blake Billings rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I got a kindle for a christmas present and bought five books all a part of series. I read Psion Beta last and it was the only book of the five that I immediately had to read the sequel. I can't wait for Psion Delta!
Eileen
Aug 09, 2012 Eileen rated it it was amazing
I. Love. This. Book. The first one was very good, but this one is just riveting. The characters are great, it rings very true, and the suspense is great. I definitely don't recommend this one for younger readers, as even I find it pretty scary.
Danielle Young
Jun 18, 2012 Danielle Young rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-favs
Love part 2 as much as I loved part 1 and now I can't wait for part 3. Sammy is a great character and has been through so much in such a short time.
Stanton
Nov 01, 2011 Stanton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you liked Psion Beta, you'll love the followup. Read them both!
Dan
Mar 29, 2016 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my Booklikes Blog, Dan Grover: Cover to Cover

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

It's Complicated

I just committed 14 days to 2420 pages of the five-book Psion Series.

The series has 2564 five-star reviews on Goodreads, and about as many four-star reviews. There are hardly any one or two starred reviews.

Everyone who read these books loved them. So, obviously, I loved them too.

Obviously.

Right?

Sigh.

It's complicated.

Here's what I liked.

I wonder when I'll get bored of stories aboutkids wit
Robert
Writing: 4 of 5
Story: 4 of 5

"Psion Gamma" is a better book than it's predecessor in every single way. Gowans carries two parallel plot lines fairly well and finally develops some of the old supporting characters along side a few new ones, much to my delight. Folks, this book is where the series gets *dark*. I cannot stress that enough, but going into details would spoil some scenes and who wants that!?

My major compliant with the first book was the writing and, particularly, the pacing. In this o
Amy
Jun 01, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
I liked the second book better than the first. The writing seemed more polished. Overall, it was kind of a darker mood than Psion Beta... Sammy couldn't seem to catch a break. I was wishing I could go straight into book three, and I am really hoping Gowans will keep the quality of writing high with such a long series.

My Rating System
4.5 - Writing Style (Better character development and over all style than book one.)
5 - Kept me Awake at Night Reading (I had a really hard time putting this one dow
Eva-Marie Stanger
Aug 10, 2012 Eva-Marie Stanger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All YA/Sci-Fi fans.
After finishing Psion Beta in less than a day, I immediately began to read Gamma. While the writer's style and intent is consistent with Beta, Gamma is a much darker book. Detailing Sammy's journey back home, Gamma is an exploration of humanity's true limits and the definition and limits of friendship. I felt that the progression and development of each character was expertly executed, and contained enough natural tendencies that I believe each character could be real. I eagerly await the ...more
John
Feb 12, 2013 John rated it really liked it
This is another great book in the Psion series. I find it very similar to the Bourne series. This book follows Sammy's struggle to return home and deal with the consequences of war. As a consequence of the story, this book takes a darker turn as Sammy deals with his inner demons and as more of the evil villains are exposed. Death and its injustice is a constant theme.

One minor criticism is that the story of his friends back at headquarters feels disjointed and breaks up the flow of the book. Pe
JC
May 13, 2012 JC rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've ever bought on my Kindle. After reading the ending of the first book in this series, I couldn't wait to start this book. Considering Gowans self-published these books I felt like I'd definitely support him in his writing as I really enjoyed the first book and this book didn't let me down. Sammy is still alive but must find his way home after being left behind in factory where things went seriously wrong. After finding out that he has been setup, he has even more ...more
MegaSolipsist
Dec 15, 2015 MegaSolipsist rated it liked it
A noted improvement from the first book, Psion Gamma is darker in tone and shows a much more complex protagonist. Sammy is quite damaged in this book, and struggles to control his violent urges after his ordeals.
It was nice to see Brickert and Kobe get more development in this, especially Kobe, as he was nothing more than a generic rival in the first book, although Jeffie got rather annoying, and her plotline seemed to be in the book more for the sake of drama than anything else.
Albert was devel
Malou Friisberg
Jan 30, 2016 Malou Friisberg rated it really liked it
I thought the first book of the Psion Series was very surprising and entertaining, there really wasn't anything I would have changed. Though I really enjoyed following Sammy on his adventure in the second book, it wasn't as amazing as I first thought it to be. It was basically the same, but with a much more dark and scary side to it, and that's why I haven't given it the fifth star. I still think you should read it and would find it thrilling and entertaining, if you enjoyed the first book, but ...more
Jodie
Apr 22, 2014 Jodie rated it really liked it
This book is the 2nd book in the Psion series. In this book, Sammy is stuck in enemy territory. The master of the school Psion Beta, Bryon, realizes there is a traitor at Psion. His son, Al, becomes obsessed with finding out what happened at the failed misison. And Sammy's friends have to deal with Sammy's disappearance and thinking that he might be dead. I definitely recommend this book after reading Psion Beta!
Mary
Feb 10, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young, survival
Sammy, a fourteen-year-old fugitive, accidentally discovers he has the powers of a Psion. After months of instruction at Psion Beta headquarters, Sammy is selected to go on a stealth training mission. When the team is ambushed by the savage Thirteens, he is left for dead. Now, alone, he must survive in a hostile land. His search for help takes him deep into enemy territory and changes him forever. On Capitol Island, Commander Byron discovers the possibility of a traitor in the Psion ranks.
Brandon Jensen
Nov 10, 2011 Brandon Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The next book in the series presents a darker world than Psion Beta. Sammy is cutoff from his friends and "country" and there are some very mean people after him. There are a few downright scary characters in the book namely Queen and Stripe. I couldn't put this book down. I enjoyed the ending much more than in Beta and thoroughly enjoyed understanding Sammy better.
Not as light as the first book, but a better overall book and worth a read.
Ann Puntel
Aug 03, 2016 Ann Puntel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series

Love this series! I am not normally a sci-fi reader but something drew me to this. As I read the series it seemed as though the writer grew with the series I found some issues with pacing of the books ( not an issue that made me want to put the book down) but as series grew the books actually got better! Would I recommend this series yes!
Gary Thacker
Jan 06, 2015 Gary Thacker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST SERIES EVER!!!!!! : )

This series is a must-read for everyone! Great for action/drama lovers. Amazingly good! I purchased the first book thinking to try it out... I couldn't stop reading and got the second book immediately after!!!! : ) (now I just have to read the next books...)
Jeffrey
Dec 03, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Psion series and if you liked the first you will see growth and depth in both the story and the author in a improved second book. Jacob does a great job in making the story deeper and has multiple chapters that are excellent storytelling. I highly recommend both this book and its predecessor Psion Beta and look forward to the book #3 Alpha.
Trevor
Nov 07, 2011 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Psion Gamma, but not as much as Psion Beta. The ending was definitely better since it wasn't a huge cliffhanger, but there was something about it that wasn't quite as engaging as the first book. I still read it in 3 days and will read the next one in the series though.

Good stuff from byujacob.
Fantasy 1 3 Jan 07, 2016 04:16PM
  • Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • A Stolen Crown (The Book of One, #2)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • The Awakening (Hasea Chronicles #1)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Far Shores (The Central, #3)
  • Lifeless (Words Made Flesh, #2)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • The Apprentice (A Knight's Journey, #1)
  • City of Light (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #3)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • Wizard Born (Wizard Born, #1)
  • Ransom (Bodyguard, #2)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • Division of the Marked (The Marked, #1)
  • Rebel Elements (Seals of the Duelists, #1)

Psion (5 books)
  • Psion Beta (Psion, #1)
  • Psion Delta (Psion, #3)
  • Psion Alpha (Psion, #4)
  • Psion Omega (Psion, #5)