Start by marking “See You Around, Sam! (Sam Krupnik, #3)” as Want to Read:
See You Around, Sam! (Sam Krupnik, #3)

See You Around, Sam! (Sam Krupnik #3)

Sam Krupnik decides to run away to Alaska when his mother won't let him wear his new plastic fangs in the house. Sam stops at neighbors' houses to say goodbye and is given so much gear and information, he wonders if he's made the right choice.
Published March 9th 1998 by Yearling (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about See You Around, Sam!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See You Around, Sam!

June
Apr 27, 2008 June rated it liked it
I read this with my son for a book report and liked the concept behind the book and found the characters to be quite likeable (if seeming to good to be true).
Lorie
Jun 16, 2017 Lorie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a paperback edition originally published as a hardback in 1996. The story centers around Sam, little brother of Anastasia who has her own set of stories. After an unfortunate incident at nursery school, Sam's mother forbids him from wearing his fake fangs in the house so he does the only thing he can think of... run away.

Sam is never in danger as the kindly neighbors look out for him after his mother secretly calls them to watch out for him. The book maybe from a simpler time when every
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

When Sam comes home from nursery school wearing plastic fangs given to him by a classmate, his mother confesses her "fang-phobia" and insists that he not wear them in her sight. Astounded by this injustice, Sam decides to run away from home, but not before stopping in to see all his favorite neighbors.

Running away is a pretty common theme in children's books, and it is a threat most kids make at some point. What is so clever about this book,
Aubree Bowling
Sep 01, 2015 Aubree Bowling rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, funny book about a little boy contemplating running away and the wise way his mother handles it with the help of all the adults in their neighborhood. I read it to my 8 and 7 year olds. one caveat to think about, tension. My 8 year old son is on the Autism Spectrum. He is extremely sensitive to stories and books with tension. In the case of this book, Sam thinks about the negatives of running away as he slowly comes to realize he doesn't really want to go. But a lot of the thing ...more
george
Oct 18, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam is quite excited when he gets home from nursery school. You see, he traded his etch-a-sketch for a cool pair of fangs. But his mother hates fangs, has fangphobia even; so Sam is not allowed to wear fangs in the house. Fine, says Sam, he'll just run away. So he packs his necessities and heads for the door and his mother doesn't even try to stop him! He decides that his destination will be Alaska, but before he goes he decides to visit Gertrude Stein one last time for some cookies. But he does ...more
Karla Fuerte
In this relate able book we have a young boy named Sam. Sam loves fangs; but Sam's mother does not like fangs and thinks that they make Sam look disgusting. So Sam decides to run away to Alaska where "fanged" walruses lie around and he will be accepted. He packs some things in his Harvard gym bag and starts walking down the street. As he walks along he says goodbyes, and given somethings and his gym bag begins to get heavier. He rethinks if he wants to run away. I think it is a great book for ki ...more
Liz
Jan 31, 2017 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Actually finished this a while ago, but now able to update goodreads. Another cute story featuring Sam, this time attempting his first "running away from home" experience. Category: realistic juvie fiction. Sam's parents are pretty cool and laid back. I am nowhere close to being that way. I wonder if I would feel different if we live in a neighborhood where I also knew the neighbors? But now, my kids are so much older than Sam in this book.
Rachel Inbar
Jun 13, 2011 Rachel Inbar rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Having read The Giver, I expected a book that would draw me in and make me want to read more. I found this book to be the opposite. I kept looking for an excuse not to read it. There were a few good parts, but overall, I found the book boring and disappointing. I think it would have done well as a book for young children, in a 32-page format with a sentence or two per page. Nothing more was needed in order to tell the (not so interesting) story.
Allanna
Mar 13, 2008 Allanna rated it liked it
I've always liked the Anastasia Krupnik books ... including the ones about her little brother, Sam.

In this book, Sam decides to run away.

But before he goes, he has to get prepared and say good-bye to his neighborhood friends.

And, oh, I wish I had a neighborhood where I knew everyone.
I should work on that.
Julie
I'm not giving this any stars because I haven't read the whole thing yet. So far, this series has been a huge hit with my 4 year old son named Sam. But two chapters in, he asked me to stop reading this book..... he was very VERY upset that the Sam in the book was running away from home. So, be warned if you have a sensitive little one, this may not be a good choice for family reading.
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Sam decides to run away to Alaska because his mother won't let him wear plastic fangs in the house. Everyone in the neighborhood conspires to change his mind. I don't know why, but this book wasn't as fun as the previous books about Sam. He seemed less like a precocious genius and more like an ordinary little boy. I suppose as Sam grows up, he'll continue to be even less remarkable.
Cindy
Aug 01, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Melissa Namba
Jul 15, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
this was as cute as I remember it being. Sam wants to run away from home, but he gets tricked by the neighborhood into realizing that he doesn't want to. they overload his bag and point out the logistical nightmares.
Jamijones
Sep 22, 2009 Jamijones is currently reading it
sam wants to have things because he see other people with the things and so he can think he is as cool as the others
Lauriero
Apr 30, 2008 Lauriero rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was the least fav of the series--too much walking around. But the thought of peanut butter and blubbber sandwiches had us all gagging and laughing.
JINA YU
Mar 16, 2016 JINA YU marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Accelerated reading Book Level: 4.4 / AR Points: 3.0
Abigail
this is a wonderful book with tons of excitement and adventure
Shelli
Who knew that a trip to Alaska to lay in a pile with a bunch of Walrus required so much planning. Cute and funny read.
Lucy E.
Lucy E. rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2008
Colin Sexton
Colin Sexton rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2007
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2010
kathleen
kathleen rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2008
Dobalina
Dobalina rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2009
Ruhm
Ruhm rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Emmie
Emmie rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
Danielle Wood
Danielle Wood rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2011
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2008
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol
  • Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • Just Like Josh Gibson
  • Hip and Hop, Don't Stop!
  • Pictures from Our Vacation
  • Galimoto
  • Button Up!: Wrinkled Rhymes
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery on the Deep Blue Sea (Bobbsey Twins, #11)
  • Thunder-Boomer!
  • The Duchess Bakes a Cake
  • Max Found Two Sticks
  • The Lion's Share
  • Wombat Walkabout
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...

Sam Krupnik (4 books)
  • All About Sam (Sam Krupnik, #1)
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • Zooman Sam (Sam Krupnik, #4)