Start by marking “Catching the Tide” as Want to Read:
Catching the Tide

Catching the Tide

A stunning epic novel of secrets, betrayal and passion, from 1933 to the 1960s

1933. Tessa and Frederica Nicolson enjoy one last idyllic summer at the beautiful Villa Millefiore, overlooking Florence. Four years later, Italy is a distant memory and Tessa is revelling in the glamour and excitement of modelling in London, until a passionate affair with married author Milo Ryc
Published September 29th 2011 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Catching the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching the Tide

Lara
Jan 16, 2012 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed previous novels by Judith Lennox, I was very much looking forward to this one. And to be honest, I did enjoy most of the book, but the last fifth of the book totally let it down. Without giving anything away, all I can say is that the part after the war about one of the sisters seems to me quite pointless, and didnt really go anywhere! It felt as though the author had to write a set amount of words/pages and this was just a fill in! A couple of loose ends were tied, yes ...more
Jo Barton
May 17, 2011 Jo Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully written book has an overwhelming theme of love and loss, and expertly captures the hedonistic atmosphere of pre war WW2 London and Europe.
Tessa Nicholson is young and very beautiful, she embraces love and passion with joie de vivre, and yet when she meets and falls in love with a married man her whole life is irrevocably changed. Her younger sister Frederica, has a stabilising influence but with war looming the sisters need to make their own very difficult choices.

I really enjoy
Marjolein
Mar 19, 2012 Marjolein rated it liked it
I liked large parts of this book, but especially the last 100-150 pages I only finished because I had read the 450-500 preceding them. Sometimes at the end of a book the author ties up some loose ends to finish off the story in a few pages. Here, apparently, 100-150 pages were needed to tie up loose ends. The book would have been a lot better with some 100 pages less.
Lisa Bergin
Oct 22, 2011 Lisa Bergin rated it liked it
But was ok, but found it really difficult engaging with most of the main characters.
Angel
Jun 22, 2012 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sad book! I didn't want her and her baby to die. But it was worth my tears, at the end her sister finds her one true love:)
HediBähren
Der Roman um zwei Schwestern, die teilweise in Italien und England leben zieht sich etwas in die Länge. Liebesgeschichte, aber nicht allzu spektakulär.
Elena
Jul 17, 2011 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rezension bezieht sich auf das Hörbuch.

England, 1933: Als der berühmte Schriftsteller Milo Rycroft an einen gefrorenen Weiher die Mannequin Tessa Nicolson trifft, ahnt keiner, dass diese schicksalhafte Begegnung das Leben dreier Frauen für immer verändern wird. Da ist Tessa selbst, die ihre italienische Jugendliebe lange nicht vergessen konnte und nun nicht mehr an die Liebe glaubt. Getroffen von einem schweren Schicksalsschlag kehrt sie nach Italien zurück. Ihre mit ihr zusammen in Italien aufg
Marijke
Jun 30, 2012 Marijke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mooi geschreven boek snel uitgelezen want kon deze weer niet wegleggen.
nederl titel ITALIAANSE MINNAAR.

Italië, 1930. De zussen Tessa en Freddie Nicolson zijn geboren en getogen in Italië. Wanneer ze in hun tienerjaren naar Engeland worden gestuurd verandert hun leven drastisch. De onconventionele en mooie Tessa wordt een succesvol model en krijgt een relatie met een getrouwde man. Wanneer zijn echtgenote daar achter komt, vlucht Tessa naar Italië.

Aan de vooravond van de Tweede Wereldoorlog reist
Anne Harvey
Jun 04, 2015 Anne Harvey rated it really liked it
This was quite a complicated plot to try and review but I'll have a go. When beautiful model Tessa has an affair with married author Milo, she is unprepared for the tragic fallout. In desperation, she flees to Florence where she is caught up in the horrors of WWII in Italy. Younger sister, Freddie, also affected by the tragedy, is forced to make her own way in life in wartime London. Running through the plot is the story of Rebecca, Milo's wife, who has to learn to live with the fact that she wa ...more
Domic
Hm. Hab ich aus der Bücherei ausgeliehen als Hörbuch und die ganze Zeit darauf gewartet, dass die Story jetzt endlich mal Fahrt aufnimmt. Hat sie aber nicht. Und auch die Vorleserin war jetzt nicht gerade der Reißer. Eigentlich mag ich Frau Lennox sehr gern, Tildas Geheimnis z.B. mag ich sehr, aber dieses Buch ist nicht meins. Mittelmässig, höchstens. Und wieso der deutsche Verlag "Der italienische Geliebte" als Titel wählte? Keine Ahnung, aus meiner Sicht kommt der gar nicht vor - oder soll das ...more
Anne
Dec 22, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Don't think I've ever read a 598 page book so quickly, nor enjoyed one quite as much - wonderful escapism for a self-indulgent weekend, a superb story of the lives of three strong women set against a backdrop of war-torn Europe, so well written. I lived and breathed with Tessa, Freddie and Rebecca the whole way through, felt the sadness, and the guilt - one of those books that made me sorry to leave it. Off to seek out her back catalogue forthwith...
Amy
Nov 24, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, very well written and atmospheric, but not one of my favourites by Judith Lennox. I found it a bit depressing, with all the death and more than one character having failed marriages. Set during WW2 so I guess that's probably to be expected. I always enjoy the way she uses three or four main characters, who are usually linked in some way, and the story jumps between each one.
Julie Crawford
Nov 06, 2014 Julie Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning I couldn't put this book down and got wrapped up in the story... However the pace slowed and purpose in the storyline for lost. Overall the interweaving between the 3 women's love stories and trials were interesting to compare and contrast. Would definitely read another of the authors books. Overall very enjoyable.
Sara
Jan 21, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga
It is really a three and a half. Light read, very surfacey but fun. England before and after WWII with a maze of characters interwoven throughout
Veerle
loved the book!
Caroline
Feb 04, 2015 Caroline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-reading
Such a sad book, I left it about 100 pages to go with no happy ending in sight. I actually wondered why I had read that much of the book...
Sue
Feb 16, 2014 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book was enjoyable but I felt the second half was going nowhere. It did all come together in the end and was a pleasant read.
Jean Brazil
Jean Brazil rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
Emelie
Emelie rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Ninotchka
Ninotchka rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
lyla82
lyla82 rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Helen Carolan
Helen Carolan rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2015
Brenda Hawley
Brenda Hawley rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Sophie Houston
Sophie Houston rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Rhian
Rhian rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Memory Garden
  • La Femme au miroir
  • The Golden Cup
  • Nightingales at War (Nightingales #6)
  • A Stranger in My Street
  • Daughters of Eden
  • A Hand Full of Stars
  • Poppy's War
  • Maskarna på Carmine Street
  • The Italian Wedding
  • Krigsdagböcker 1939-1945
  • Pattern of Shadows (Mary #1)
  • Waiting for Robert Capa
  • The Bed I Made
  • The Night I Danced with Rommel
  • Maggie Bright: A Novel of Dunkirk
Aka Judith Lennox-Smith

Judith Lennox lives in Cambridgeshire, England with her husband and three sons.
More about Judith Lennox...