Start by marking “The Basement” as Want to Read:
The Basement

The Basement

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,354 ratings  ·  161 reviews
New York City. With a population of almost nineteen million people, it’s easy to remain anonymous — even if you’re a serial killer, torturing and murdering beautiful young women. The killer has another victim right now, locked in a basement somewhere in the city. For NYPD detectives Turner and Marcinko, it’s their job to sift through those nineteen million and narrow their ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 31st 2012 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Basement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basement

Nikki
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

I recently treated myself to a Kindle, and the basement (with its annoying lowercase title) was the first ‘ebook’ I decided to read with it. I chose this book for two reasons: it was at the top of the bestsellers list with great reviews, and it was a bargain at just 71p.

the basement (that just looks wrong – why must we avoid capital letters?) is a fast-paced thriller about a serial killer who has a woman trapped in a soundproof basement, and the race to find the vi
Kimberly
This book was suggested to me by a friend, and I admit that it really exceeded my expectations. A thriller/detective story, told from 2 different angles. I found the writing to be quickly engaging, and very easy to get from one scene, to another. This was certainly an interesting take on a serial killer, and the detectives trying to solve the mystery.

Recommended.
Bookie | The BookChick
Book Description:
New York is a city full of strangers. For NYPD detectives Turner and Marcinko, none are harder to figure out than the serial killer on the loose torturing and killing young women. In fact, right now, somewhere in the city, a woman is being held captive in a basement and it is up to the detectives to find her and the killer—before it’s too late.

As pressure mounts on Turner and Marcinko, their prime suspect is screenwriter wannabe Marvin Waller. He is becoming increasingly frustra
Beth
Not even sure what I liked about this book. The killer's narrative was appropriately grim but compelling and, thank God, no overload of gore or nasty details. However, the deluded writer just irritated me. I'm aware that he was supposed to be smug and unlikeable but that didn't make him any easier to read about. He was pathetic to a whole other extreme and I could not have cared less about what happened to him. There was nothing well-rounded or charismatic about him, just a nasty character given ...more
Dan
Really good story. I like the fact that it was not like most books these days: Bloated with hundreds of pages of "character development". This one said what it needed to say, then ended. By not including a bunch of unnecessary stuff, the author kept the story interesting, pacing tight, and ending was right on the money. I only wish more authors would follow his example.
Ruby Tuesday
At just over 100 pages this is a short story but superbly written. I used to watch a series on the BBC called Murder in Mind and when I was reading this book, the dark comedy aspects reminded me of the series. I was then reading about Stephen Leather and discovered that he actually wrote some of the episodes and also The Knock and The Stretch - need to check those out!

A serial killer is on the loose in New York, he's kidnapping secretaries, imprisoning them in his basement, raping them and then
Cheryl
Marvin Waller is an aspiring screen writer. He is trying to get his work seen by the stars but it is hard. In fact, the police have been called due to Marvin’s unorthodox pan handling of getting his work into the star’s hands.

Detective Sergeant Turner and Detective Marcinko come to visit Marvin to warn him to quit visiting buildings and just send his work via mail like everyone else. Detective Turner and Marcinko sense something is not right with Marvin. What dark secret is Marvin hiding?

There
Debbi Mack
I have to confess that when my own books began to climb the ranks on Amazon UK, my first thought upon looking at the other names up at the top was, "Who the heck is Stephen Leather?" It even sounded like a name I should know. Yet, I couldn't recall ever seeing his books before. So, I checked on Amazon.com. There he was, but not nearly as high up. WTF??? Now, I was exceedingly curious. Why the hell was this guy so popular in the UK, yet so little known outside that realm?

So, I took the only logic
Josh
As lurid as it is deceptive, ‘The basement’ is a classic thriller with a twist I couldn’t predict. Think Tarantula by Thierry Jonquest but on a more humane level (if I can say that) in terms of victimised suffering and complete resignation from self. Protagonist and prime suspect Marvin Waller is a screen writer with delusions of grandeur who harbours serious resentment towards secretaires of all professions. Unfortunately for him, in New York, attractive secretaries are being kidnapped, torture ...more
Darcia Helle
The book contains two viewpoints. Marvin Waller is a young writer whose part is written in first person. Much of his narration is spent telling us about his various screenplays. To me, this was like reading a synopsis of other books, many of which were more interesting than the actual events of the character's story. Marvin is a strange guy but we never really get to know him beyond his odd fixation with stalking actors and movie producers.

The serial killer's part is written in the rare second
Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2011 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good crime story
what a twist at the end of this wow A must read.
Michael Parker
I've just finished Stephen leather's 'THE BASEMENT'. This is the kind of book that starts drawing you in when you feel you may not want to. It has a touch of Stephen King about it, and simply emphasises the fact that Stephen Leather is an exceptional talent. Most thriller readers will have read of a poor victim, usually female who has been kindapped and strapped to a bed for the kidnapper's pleasure and subsequent murder, but we usually know who the kidnapper is, and how his or her mind works. W ...more
Roisin
This is the first of its sort for me. I watch a lot of CSI and Criminal Minds but I never read a book such a Crime/Thriller. It did not take me very long to get into this book within a day I was already 50% through on my Kindle and I completed it within 3 days, which for me is unheard of as it usually takes me 2 weeks to read a book I enjoy. The book was also a bargain on Amazon for only 49p.

The books itself is based on a struggling writer in New York trying to get his work noticed. In the News
Christy Gibbon
It's been about 36 hours since I finished this novel. It took me that long to get the images out of my head to be able to put my feelings into words. This book is a disturbing look into the mind of a self-absorbed wanna-be writer. He writes the best movie scripts in the world but they are never produced because they can never get into the hands of the right people. He hangs around outside the apartments of producers, directors, and actors to put the scripts directly into their hands but is alway ...more
Scott
I picked this up as an impulse purchase after reading one of the author's full-length novels, and I'm glad I did. The Basement is a novelette and can be finished in a day. An interesting and disturbing look into the mind of a serial killer, The protagonist is very flawed with darkness lurking just below the surface. As the story progresses, the author does a great job of dropping bread crumbs to make us think we've figured it out until he yanks the rug out from under us at the very end. Most of ...more
Terrie
Chris
The Basement held my interest from the start. The story is told by two narrators. Its fast paced, beautifully crafted, well researched, and the plot cleverly expands. There are a number of intense sexual scenes, which may offend or be a little too much for some.

This is a gripping, dark, and easy to read thriller, with an unpredictable twist at the end. If you like reading books of this genre, with a plot that includes rape and torture, then ‘The Basement’ will not disappoint.

Stephen Leather ha
pam
okay, so first off this is not a book for everyone. in fact, had it not been on special at amazon for $.99 i may have never picked it up myself. it is grisly, somewhat gory and very tense (think 'silence of the lambs'). not something you want to read before bedtime. i thought it would be a good treadmill book and it was. only i couldn't stop reading after my treadmill time was done. i HAD to finish it to find out what happened. lucky me, i was pleasantly surprised by the fab ending. what a book. ...more
Barbra
I read this as an ebook. Read it quite quickly and it wasn't a bad read. I didn't realise the twist at the end until I had almost finished.

Back Cover Blurb:
A serial killer is torturing and killing women in New York. And two detectives are sure that a writer is behind the murders. But as they close in on their suspect a woman is being held captive in a basement somewhere in the city. Can they find the killer before the latest victim is killed?
Emma
I liked this until the end when it suddenly produced a plot twist, which was unexplained and raised a few more questions about the main protagonist and another character. A bit like the author was so keen to have a twist, it didn't matter if it was entirely out of kilter with the rest of the book which seemed to be all about why certain behaviour was manifested... then there was no explanation at all... just odd.
Phillip
An intelligent well paced thriller cum who-done-it set in New York. A serial killer is on the loose and two NYPD detectives suspect that a writer is behind the grisly killings. This is a well put together novella with a twist at the end. The writing is fresh and lively and not over descriptive, the story is a real page turner and the ending will come as a surprise to those that haven't guessed it in advance!
Tanya
I was hooked, I read one review that said this had a disappointing end and so regretted buying it but thought I'd give it a go and how wrong was the review, I love horror films and am very rarely effected by them. I finished this book last night and it took me ages to get to sleep, I woke up this morning still thinking about it. I am now looking for more of the author's books I am a fan.
Gale Stanley
This is an alarming look into the mind of a serial killer. If you’re looking for a psychological thriller that will blow you away, look no further. It's not a story for the squeamish, so be forewarned. Expect graphic sadistic and sexual scenes. It’s a short tight read that keeps the tension high and kept me turning the pages. I finished it in one night and never saw the end coming.
Tracy Hipp
I bought this book because it was $2 on Amazon. It's told in first person by a serial killer and also by a wannabe screen writer. You're never sure if the two are the same or what is really going on. I liked that and the suspense of it. It was a great page turner, had some great twists and turns, and is a fast read. I plan to check out more by this author.
Rochelle Hart
I liked it, once I got into it, but it was a bit hard to follow at first. About half way through it picked up, and I really wanted to get to the end and find out who the killer was. I'm glad I did! Good ending!

Quick read. Would recommend if you're looking for a good read-on-the-train book.
Corey Dutson
Well that was different. Though I knew the obvious twist was going to happen, for some reason I didn't expect it to be exactly what went down until right near the end. Well written and a quick read. If you're looking for a thriller with a different narrative model, this is it.
James Cridland
Excellent. A short, dark, book - with a wonderfully strange main character. Very, very enjoyable; cleverly written, and I'd highly recommend this if you fancied something good to read on a long flight. I shall go hunting for more from this author; he's very good indeed.
Shirley Wells
Like most people, I bought this because the Kindle edition was cheap. I'm glad I did because I loved it. It's a fast-paced thriller with a brilliant twist at the end. (Some people might be put off by the voyeuristic feel and scenes of rape and torture.) A great read!
Terri
The look into the mind of a sociopathic, would-be screenwriter and his attempts to get seen by famous directors, along with the investigation into the abductions of young women. Very psychologically interesting reading and enjoyable cat and mouse games.
Naomi
All I can say is "WOW"! This is a new author for me and it def. won't be the last thing I read of his, although looking at some of the books they appear tame to this one. It is short...a novella of about 80 pages, but it packs a punch.
Sisterhood of the...: November 2013: The Basement by Stephen Leather 14 14 Nov 22, 2013 01:46PM
  • The Vanishing
  • Last Flight Out
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Killing Cupid
  • Fifty Shades of Silver Hair and Socks  (Fifty Shades of Silver #1)
  • Crimzon & Clover
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • Learning To Love
  • King City
  • Painless
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • The Destruction of Dresden
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1) Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1) Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2) Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2) Nightmare (Jack Nightingale, #3)

“New York always brings out the serial killer in me. It’s a great city to kill in. The best. You've got something like fifteen million people living cheek by jowl, and most of them couldn't give a damn about anyone else. No one wants to get involved. No one cares.” 5 likes