Start by marking “Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography

Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  2,868 ratings  ·  58 reviews
From her pioneer days on the prairie to her golden years with her husband, Almanzo, and their daughter, Rose, Laura Ingalls Wilder has become a friend to all who have read about her adventures. This behind-the-scenes account chronicles the real events in Laura's life that inspired her to write her stories and also describes her life after the last Little House book ends.
Published 1992 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Laura Ingalls Wilder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laura Ingalls Wilder

Shelley
I read this book because my daughter, Emily, is doing a biography on Laura Ingalls Wilder for school (we both love Little House on the Prairie & have all nine seasons on DVD). I grew up reading all her books and watching all the shows and so I couldn't resist not reading this book when my daughter bought it home. Even though I remember all the episodes and have basically a good memory of her books, I felt this book went further into Laura's life. I didn't realize just how much they travelled ...more
Maren
This was an excellent read for someone like myself who has read the Little House books a number of times. I also recently read the autobiographies of Rose Wilder Lane, so this all seemed so familiar, filling in the gaps and expanding the story beyond what I've previously read. My heart just breaks for these families and the lost babies and difficult circumstances life threw at them, and yet I'm so amazed at the perseverance and faith that they all exemplified. Pa & Laura are definitely on my ...more
Stephanie
I went on a road trip with my mom and dad and went to see Laura's houses that she lived in.... It was awsome and on the trip I bought this book and just read it and it was really good cuz you could learn more about her life with your parents and sisters and her husband Almanzo and their daughther Rose.... I would read this book over and over again and go see her houses again... I use to watch the show Little House on the Pairie when I was younger and fell in love with the story and how they live ...more
Scott Pagel
At times I found myself thinking that William Anderson had the easiest job ever – his biography subject had already told the whole world about the details of her life through her own writings and so the subject of the biography had already done most of Anderson’s work. This thinking is unfair to Anderson, of course, but I felt that way at times because I have read all of Wilder’s books and therefore many events were not new to me. However, Anderson does a nice job of trying to present the facts ...more
Jenn
I read the Little House on the Prairie books as a child and just assumed then that the people in the book were fiction and as a child I never gave one thought about the author. When I found an article about her sister Mary on the internet recently it made me pause and think about the author and her life. So I went online to find if there were any books about Laura Ingalls Wilder and found this one. The book was an easy read (I finished it in about 3 hours), almost like it was aimed for children. ...more
Scash
This book was fascinating to me. I learned so much more about Laura's life from this biography than what the tv show and her books cover. Laura started writing the Little House series IN HER 60'S! Amazing that she could remember so many details. Also, I was surprised to learn she only had one surviving child and from what I could discern her daughter Rose, had no living children. It saddens me that she doesn't have any descendents. Laura's life changed so much over the course of her 90+ years... ...more
April
I chose this book after reading the Stieg Larsson books because anything Little House is special to me. I needed something that wouldn't disappoint. I suppose it is unfair to rate any book after reading a series that wow'd me. But this book receives only 3 stars. It was blandly written, brief and managed to hit only the high points of Laura's books without a lot of additional details. I plowed through the book quickly and at no time did I think about putting it down and not finishing it. But as ...more
Zoe
This was an easy read - might be considered a YA level of biography, andyone 12 and up could read it, but the average person knows so little about Mrs. Wilder's later life. It tells a great deal about her time in the Ozarks, how she became a write late in life but didn't write the Little House series until she was in her 70's, and just how famous she and her daughter were. (Rose Wilder Lane was a bestselling author). If you've ever closed the last of the Little House books and wondered what happ ...more
Kristin Burleigh
Apr 07, 2013 Kristin Burleigh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger females
Recommended to Kristin by: My mom!
I love this book. I love ALL of the books in this 'series'. I read them when I was in 6th or 7th grade and BEGGED my mom for the set for YEARS until she finally got it for me on my 15th or 16th birthday! I now have the boxed set all safe and sound on my bookshelf where I look at them lovingly every time I pass. They were my childhood, and will be passed onto my children should I ever be blessed with any.

Definitely suggest for younger readers; it's a CLASSIC!
Rosa Cline
This was a really nice Biography of Laura and her families...and later in the book it almost is a biography of Rose. But with Laura and Rose being so close it would almost be hard to keep the two lives separate in telling of Laura's you had to mix some of Rose's in. It has some photos of the Ingallas and the Wilders and where they lived etc.

It was told with some actual quotes from Laura or Rose which made it nice. It was kind of story form but yet told almost as if the author was sitting beside
Char
LOVED remembering her!--made me want to go back and read all the books again--I don't think I really grasped the importance of them as a historical record at the time, but she is amazing. Fun photographs, and helped clear up the journeying back and forth through all of the books. I was so shocked though, when I realized she lived into the 1950's!! I used to daydream in elementary school, of showing (my friend) Laura all of the modernizations around now, like cars and planes and computers, and lo ...more
Hellen Riebold
I thought the author did an excellent job of filling in the blanks left by the 'Little House' series written by Laura. If you ever wanted to know what happened to half-pint later in life then this is the book for you; however, don't expect as easy a read as Laura gave us. This book makes you work hard to uncover the truth. It is written in a fairly academic style and can even appear a little dry in places. Worth persevering though.
Jane Rutherford
Even though I knew most of her story, I just kept reading torward the end to see how she and Manly did. Well written for a children's book. I'm sure it helps that lots of this was documented because she lived until 1957.
Allison Mcdougall
I was so little when I read this, but it was my LIW bible.
Hoopidnew
I read the entire Little House Books as a child and re-read them all in 2007. Then I stumbled upon this one and it tells the true story of Laura's life, which is a bit different from the story in her series (that's why her books are considered fiction). This book reveals many interesting details that she left out of her books and it also continued on with her story, right up to her death. The book includes photos of her and her family, and certain artifacts.
Connie
Premier Ingalls-Wilder biographer Bill Anderson has crafted an accessible biography for YA and adults who want to know the author of the "Little House" books. The writing is clear and just enough detail to help readers want to know more - and they can turn to additional LIW biographies by Anderson. I wish that HarperCollins had designed this title in a more attractive format with photos inserted throughout the text.
Lisa
Picked this book up at the gift shop at Rocky Ridge Farm! It was wonderful to read about Laura's life and be able to picture her Missouri years so vividly, since I have now been there. This book is a quick, easy read that fills in a lot of the gaps from the "Little House" books— particularly the time the Ingalls family spent in Iowa. It features several black-and-white photos, which I also enjoyed.
Megan
Nov 05, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Kinda fluffy, but I learned some new things--like, did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder and Almanzo lived in Florida for some time? I had no idea! I wish there were a book about that--it sounded fascinating. All in all, I didn't learn a whole lot of substantial things that I didn't already know, but it was a good, quick read, anyway. But probably written more for kids, not so much for adults.
Tracy
I just got this book on a wim from the liabrary. I was a massive Little House fan when I was child, and still have my books now! I read this book in a day and a half, could not put it down. I know it is written for young adults but I learned allot about the woman who was my favorite author for my early years. A great book, lots of great information and pictures.
Mommywest
A WONDERFUL telling of the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is fascinating to think about all the history she has lived--from a cabin in the Big Woods and a covered wagon to riding in a Chrysler automobile! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the Little House books or is interested in pioneer history.
Kris
Jan 23, 2008 Kris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LIW/Little House fans, young & old
I didn't "learn" very much new, but it's a thorough accounting of her life. Reads quicker, less like a textbook or journal article (and at a lower level - maybe 8-12 yrs old?) than the Miller books which I'm also wading through. This is more of a complement to the Little House books, rather than a reference book.
Cynthia
Enjoyed the real story of Laura and look forward to reading her books with my daughter, as I mostly have the television series in my mind. I could visualize everything the author wrote and was very interested in learning about her writing career and how she treated get fans so nicely no matter the time or place.
Melinda
YA biography written for about 5th grade and up. Adequate background with much about her life at Rocky Ridge Farm in MO. I was inspired to find that LIW didn't publish her first "Little House" book until she was in her 60s. She led a fascinating, active life. I'd like to re-read some of the series.
This is a fairly basic biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder that I picked up at the house in Mansfield, MO. It was interesting to get a slightly different perspective on her life, but overall I didn't think it added that much to what I already knew from the Little House series.
Rebekah Tilley
This is a juvenile nonfiction level book that is adequate for middle and high school book reports. There isn't much added beyond the Little House books in the early part of the book. Still the writing wasn't annoying (unlike the current Laura bio I'm reading).
Pam Herrmann
Interesting insight into the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her family. I found a few things interesting- especially The Homestead Act of 1862. It's amazing how they survived in the conditions they did. Not so sure people today would be able to handle that....
Lesley
I loved reading more about my favorite author. What an inspiration she was! This is aimed at grade schoolers, but I got a lot out of it. I liked knowing the dates and facts of what happened in her life and how she became a famous author.
Linda
This very interesting book is a bit disillusioning because the fairy-tell comes to an end. It tells the history of Laura Ingalls Wilder; what is true, what is not true, and what happens after the last book, "The First Four Years."
Laura Smith
So, not sure how I've overlooked reading this book for so long! This is a good childrens level biography, very quick easy read. I would recommend Donald Zochert's biography for a little more indepth look at Laura's life.
Erica
I found this book at Al's Oasis in Chamberlain,South Dakota. It is a biography about Laura Ingalls Wilder. It tells how life was back then. Did she have any kids? Well you should probably read this book to find out. :}
  • Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend
  • I Remember Laura: Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • Young Pioneers
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer's Life
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
  • Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
Laura's Album: A Remembrance Scrapbook of Laura Ingalls Wilder Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder Laura Ingalls Wilder Country: The People and Places in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Life and books Prairie Girl: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder The Little House Guidebook