Start by marking “Mistletoe Magic” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe Magic

Mistletoe Magic

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

In London, a hospital clerk finds herself attracting the attention of an older physician who's definitely out of her league. She never imagined she'd be the target of A Christmas Romance.

In Australia, a news reporter meets up with her estranged husband, and discovers that she'd been tricked into leaving him for all the wrong reasons. So, for the sake of their daughter, the

Published November 1st 2000 by Harlequin (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistletoe Magic

Barbara
Jan 02, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La Betty is in fine form in this book from late in her career. Our heroine has to have just about the most pathetic name--Ermentrude. Good lord, what were her parents thinking?! But sweet Emmy, though plain and poor is definitely plucky and perky. She works as a hospital switchboard operator, which is how she comes in contact with our RDD(Rich Dutch Doctor)Ruerd ter Mennolt, a visiting Professor and lecturer.
And of course our RDD has the requisite beautiful and snooty fiancee, Annelise.
Our Emmy
Kathleen
A heartwarming holiday romance by Betty Neels, the beloved British Dame of Hospital Harlequins. She wrote this one in 1997, when she was 88 years old!! (Yes, I double-checked the math). I guess she could write them in her sleep by then. (Not suggesting they're formulaic, but for a *slightly* similar read, check out A Christmas to Remember, A Christmas Proposal / A Christmas Romance, The Fifth Day of Christmas, Roses for Christmas, The Silver Thaw, etc. etc.)

THIS is one of my faves, though. It's
Aayesha Khatri
A marvellous book about a 'plain, mousy' receptionist who works at a hospital and comes toe to toe with a tall, wide, fair-haired Dutch neurosurgeon. Emmy likes him from their first meeting, and Ruerd, despite being engaged, can't get her out of his mind. The story is about how they both run circles taking a wide berth around each other and how he slowly comes to realise how much he cares for her.

As usual, Betty delivers a wonderful love story with the small, everyday life details that make her
Leona
Aug 14, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I did not like about this book was the heroine's name "Ermentrude". However, since she was mostly always called Emmy, I got past it pretty quickly!

Betty has a wonderful way of "spinning the yarn" and she rarely disappoints her fans. For me this one was pure magic.

This was a very understated book that packed a powerful punch. I actually think the character of Emmy is one of Betty's more enjoyable heroines. Emmy has been handed a tough life. She's plain and mousy. She and her fami
NovelReaction
Feb 09, 2010 NovelReaction rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
photo_3280_20090106

Ermentrude Foster has always known that she was plain, looking in the mirror attested to that fact. So why was Dr. Rued ter Mennolt unable to keep her out of his mind. Emmy worked as a telephone operator to help support her parents and Dr. ter Mennolt was a visiting consultant from Holland. But fate kept throwing them together and Ruerd found himself thinking more and more of Emmy, despite the fact he was engaged to be married to the beautiful and sophisticated Anneliese. When
This book is by Betty Neels, so you should know what your getting into. Girl with silly name and loveable parents fallen on hard times. She looks mousy but has great eyes, enjoys fashion and style but knows she can't afford it. Loves animals. Works in a hospital, and crosses paths with a rich, dutch doctor.

Betty Neels obviously lived in a steampunk-esque alternate world than I lived in, a 1997 where a house might still not have a proper phone in it, much less people carrying around cell phones.
Franny
Jan 17, 2013 Franny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, especially if you've always had a heart for the underdog. We see a mean-spirited beauty engaged to a rich and famous doctor, who is slowly falling in love with the hospital receptionist. What a delightful book. The story takes place in London and Holland. It is quite contemporary, as we have a bomb going off near the hospital, and WWII is long over. You don't learn much about the medical world, but you do learn about the scenery and customs of both areas. A light romance, en ...more
Susan in NC
Jan 31, 2014 Susan in NC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Betty fans
Shelves: reread
One of my favorite Bettys, always worth a reread this time of year! I love Betty's Christmas stories and this one doesn't disappoint; I agree with Barbara and Leona, the heroine's name, Ermintrude, is horrid but thankfully she is Emmy to almost everyone, so phew! I also agree with you ladies that the Rich Dutch Doctor is delightfully thoughtful, kind and clearly into Emmy, and I like that they get the "I'm a mousy, plain, bad dresser and your beeyatch fiancée is not" out of the way early on...wh ...more
Pamela Shropshire
May 05, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teri-k
This is one of Neels "poor girl barely getting by" stories. Emmy works at the hospital telephone exchange and lives in a tiny house with her mother while her father, who has been made redundant in his old job, travels for work. Clearly the RDD has a need to rescue stray dogs and people, and Emmy needs rescuing. lol (view spoiler) ...more
Georgine
Nov 28, 2015 Georgine rated it liked it
A Christmas Promise by Betty Neels was a good story
Outback Christmas by Margaret Way was okay
Sarah's First Christmas by Rebecca Winters was the best story in the book
Jenny
Jan 24, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story with cute characters!
Mandy Hemmings
Jan 07, 2014 Mandy Hemmings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betty Neels has to be one of my favourite "comfort reading" authors. Her characters & settings may not change much from book to book but that's part of their charm - you know you're going to get a sweet romance that feels like a big, cuddly duvet! This book is much like all the others - and a great read for all that!
Tonya Warner
Oct 22, 2011 Tonya Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ermentrude Foster is doing a job that she does not enjoy, in a city she does not like, but the family circumstances are such that she has put her dreams on hold to help her parents. Running in to Professor Ruerd ter Mennolt sets her life in to a tailspin.

Ruerd is already engaged to a suitable, beautiful woman, but the plain little Emmy gets under his skin.

Very sweet.
Anisha
Apr 08, 2012 Anisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for a modern day feminist like me....the meek fragile domesticated cow of a heroin and stupid chovinistic hero from ancient times..thats what this book contain.
A dumb series of coincidences make it even more unrealistic.
I don't mean to be insulting to our beloved author but i just simply hated this book.its totaly worthless.
Cecilia
Aug 16, 2013 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and sweet, with the hero eventually figuring out his feelings for the mousy but good-hearted heroine. I like this kind of heroine - the ones who blurt out things that annoy the hero, but don't seem to be crushed by mortification. I wish the heroine's name didn't remind me of "ermahgerd" but there's nothing we can do about that.
Maddie
Mar 20, 2010 Maddie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: betty-neels
This one was OK, but this story and the previous one I read, The Quiet Professor, both dragged on too long. I know this is a plot device to add tension, the heroine must suffer and struggle, but good editing is necessary here. After saying all that, I love Betty Neels and all her efforts are 'feel good' comfort reads.
Xondra Day
Typical Betty Neels. Plain girl falls in love with a handsome doctor and a relationship develops. This is an old fashioned romance. I admit that I am a fan of Betty even if most of her books do read alike. There's a quaintness to her writing and I find her stories relaxing and comforting.
Anne
Aug 19, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heartwarming
Maddie
Mar 06, 2010 Maddie rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Betty Neels story. Its just such a warm cosy read. The main characters are simple, kind, decent people without all the 'drama' that one finds in 'modern literature'. Nothing dark or sinister here. Always a happy ending!
Allison
Dec 25, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how Betty Neels includes so much detail in her writing.
Liz Michaels
Sep 30, 2014 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, clean, old fashioned romance. 3.75
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Eileen Goh
Eileen Goh marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Eileen Goh
Eileen Goh marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
A.R  Slade
A.R Slade rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Rafat
Rafat rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
  • House of Mirrors
  • Temporary Wife
  • Maggie's Dad
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • Love's Legacy
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • The Sheriff and the Innocent Housekeeper (Historical Western Novella)
  • Land of Dreams
  • Gallant Waif
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...

“I shall report this, and in the meantime the animal can be taken away by one of the porters.’

‘Don’t you dare,’ said Emmy fiercely. ‘I’ll not allow it. You are—’

It was unfortunate that she was interrupted before she could finish. ‘Ah,’ said Professor ter Mennolt, looming behind the supervisor. ‘My kitten. Good of you to look after it for me, Ermentrude.’ He gave the supervisor a bland smile. ‘I am breaking the rules, am I not? But this seemed the best place for it to be until I could come and collect it.’

‘Miss Foster has just told me…’ began the woman.

‘Out of the kindness of her heart,’ said the professor outrageously. ‘She had no wish to get me into trouble. Isn’t that correct, Ermentrude?’

She nodded, and watched while he soothed the supervisor’s feelings with a bedside manner which she couldn’t have faulted.

‘I will overlook your rudeness, Miss Foster,’ she said finally, and sailed away.

‘Where on earth did you find it?’ asked the professor with interest.

She told him, then went on, ‘I’ll take him home. He’ll be nice company for Snoodles and George.’

‘An excellent idea. Here is your relief. I shall be outside when you are ready.’

‘Why?’ asked Emmy.

‘You sometimes ask silly questions, Ermentrude. To take you both home.”
0 likes