Demonosity

Demonosity

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  30 reviews
An ancient myth + a mean girl + a reluctant warrior = a lively take on good vs. evil

The Black Rose--a powerful ancient force--has been let loose and has taken up residence in Celeste Gibson, popular girl at Cassidy Carter-Lewis' high school. Thomas Delacroix is the spirit of a fourteenth-century knight who is devoted to protecting the Black Rose, but he needs a contemporar...more
250 pages
Published August 15th 2013 by Puffin

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
370th out of 1,416 books — 9,843 voters
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. MaasBetween the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve TucholkeDeception by C.J. RedwineOrigin by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
YA Books - Publishing August 2013
33rd out of 68 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Mitch
Believe it or not, Demonosity isn't my first Amanda Ashby book (that dubious distinction would go to Zombie Queen of Newbury High), so I'm a bit familiar with the usual adjectives that are thrown around when it comes to her books - humorous, light, quick, fun. Normally I'd agree, Ashby has a way of subverting the usual young adult paranormal tropes in a way that's good for a few laughs, but this time around? - I really didn't think Demonosity was all that funny. Tired, maybe, but not funny.

I gue...more
Alice Liu
Fun, fun, fun! It was a pleasure to have a female heroine who is not also the damsel in distress, but the kick ass guardian instead. Add to the mix, an asexual male best friend who is a nerd but also a hottie! Kudos to Amanda Ashley for bending gender expectations and stereotypes. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely male hotties who are hormonally driven, but it's nice to have a lead character who is not constantly distracted by puberty. Cassidy (the heroine) is tasked with a seemingly impo...more
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Dec 16, 2013 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of suspenseful choices you have to make with two brothers who love you.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Goodreads.com, public library.
ACTUAL RATING: 4.5

This is my first book by Amanda Ashby and it was really good. I noticed her other books on Goodreads and thought they were interesting. So when I found this book at the library I was excited to read it. The plot was really good with its suspenful chapters, twists and turns, and etc. I thought the characters were great too. I loved Thomas. He. Ishtar have been a little harsh with Cassidy at the beginning, but he meant well. I didn't like Travis because he seemed to sketchy and I...more
Ashley
2.5 stars. I wanted to like this book, and it was an enjoyable read, but there weren't any fresh ideas.

One thing that I loved was that Nash, the perfect guy, was NOT a love interest. However, that being the case, I didn't understand why it was necessary to describe his clothing every time he entered a scene. It was also entirely too convenient to have him be a genius (and if he was a genius, why didn't he skip high school? That's not a very smart choice, especially since he has social skills as...more
Kelsey
This book was a little different from the others she's written- sure there's sword fighting & monsters but this one had time travel. I liked that! Cassidy is just a normal teenager who has trouble making decisions who gets thrown into the world of "The Black Rose" & has the biggest decision heaped upon her. Cassidy was easy to relate to, very likable to me. Thomas was pretty interesting himself, his shapeshifting was really cool. This book is full of laughs, magic, knights in (shining?)...more
Celeste
This had the potential to be a cute novel.

That was what I was expecting it to be.

But for some reason, to me it just fell short.

I just couldn't get into the story. It felt way too rushed and the characters weren't developed enough to create attachments with. Because a good story makes you relate to the characters within it, but this one just wasn't doing it for me.

The backstory and the plotline had so much potential. The whole "the Black Rose has been interwoven throughout time again and again" s...more
Ayanami Faerudo
Original review at Whatever You Can Still Betray.

It's 2.5 actually.

I want to like you. I do. It was going well, dearie. It was. But then the last third part of the book happened and it became hurried... Well, not really hurried but the way things fell through confused and bugged the hell out of me since how come she suddenly had this thing for Thomas when she (and he) didn't give so much an indication that she liked him other than her fascination for his scar and wanting to touch. She didn't eve...more
Tina
3.5 Stars!

*Big spoilers in the spoiler links so don't click if you don't want to know what happens!

When debating whether or not to give it 3 or 4 stars, I was leaning more towards 3 because I sort of dropped off reading the book near the middle for a day and wasn't excited about starting where I left off. Though I'm glad that I got back into after a chapter or 2, I still felt a 3 was appropriate. I enjoyed reading it, but (as one has mentioned already) it does has its flaws.

Characters
For the mos...more
Marsha
With a heroine that’s a little exasperating, what with her indecisiveness and her tendency to get mushy-headed when a handsome boy starts paying attention to her, Cassidy Carter-Lewis is not one of the more appealing characters. Her best friend is also asexual (by his definition) and a lover of the Renaissance. How convenient that he specializes in ancient books and astronomy! This makes him rather unbelievable, although very useful when needed.

Cassidy rises to the occasion when she’s called upo...more
Andrew Carlson
Rating Demonosity was challenging. It was between 3 stars and 4. The overall idea is fresh and unique. It's a good concept.

But the execution was lacking. First, I almost abandoned it. I set it aside for a while to read another book that interested me a lot more. That's usually not a good sign.

But as I picked it up again and continued reading, the story pulled me in. The story line could have been refined, in my opinion. Characters and side plot lines were introduced very late. And I'm not sure w...more
Viviana
Demons, magic, knight warriors, ancient book, "a powerful ancient force", good vs evil, and a teenager, Cassidy, in the middle of it. With the help of his best friend Nash, a asexual (interesting trait), geek hottie and Thomas, a knight warrior, Cass will learn to kill demons and protect the black rose (the powerful force/essence), which turn out to be more complicated then she thought. Demonisity is a fast-paced paranormal adventure with a hint of sweet romance. The plot is fun. The characters...more
Gemma
It was not her best work

honestly I read it because i read Fairy Bad Day and really liked it. This however the heroine is just sad and boring. She lacked basically any skills whatsoever at the beginning of the book. She cant make decisions. I just really did not like her.

The plot was interesting in general but what i do not get is how all of a sudden she is dating the other guy when as far as i could tell she never showed any feelings for him (though towards the end before she chooses i skipped s...more
Terri
Thoroughly enjoyed Demonosity! Amanda Ashby never fails to tell an entertaining, funny, light paranormal with strong, likable characters. Nash, the heroine's sidekick, might be my favorite character yet. I'd love to see a sequel with him in the lead. If, like me, you get tired of the plethora of dark YA you should put Amanda on your must read authors list.
Colette
Demonosity is a humorous and entertaining Young Adult novel. It follows Cassidy, a girl who has to learn how to fight demons and overcome her indecisiveness or else the world as it is known could end. Ashby does an amazing job of presenting developed and relatable characters. The plot was fun, and the length of the novel was perfect. The only downside was that it was a bit gory for my taste. Overall 4.5/5 stars; readers who enjoy Demonosity would likely also be interested in Ashby's other books,...more
Penni
Amanda Ashby’s DEMONOSITY, in which a sixteen year old girl’s life is turned upside down when she has to protect an ancient alchemist’s relic from two demon knight brothers, one of whom is good and one of them bad: the problem is she has no idea which is which.

This book was a great choice for my next mother/daughter read! I read a book with my daughter at least once a month. This was a perfect blend of sass, comedy, and intrigue. We both give it a great recommendation!
Genevieve
Nov 03, 2013 Genevieve marked it as did-not-finish
DNF - meh; after 50 pages, I just wasn't all that interested, and I could tell that I probably wasn't going to get more interested, especially if the stereotypical mean girl became the possessed antagonist or whatever the summary said she would be. The other books I've read from this author have been enjoyable enough but haven't really wowed me, so I don't think this one will end up being a new favorite or anything.
Stacee
Loved the story line [something unique!] and the snark and the action. A quick and fun read.

It was so nice to have a boy and girl be best friends without the awkwardness of one of them in love with the other. Cassidy and Nash are perfect BFFs, they compliment each other so well and their dynamic was the best part of the book.
Karin
Quirky high schooler Cassidy is chosen to help a 14th century knight protect a supernatural thingamabob called the black rose - so she must learn sword fighting, demon-slaying etc. all the while navigating high school, family relationships and an annoying ex-boyfriend. Cute. Will prob read more by this author.
Marian
Flawed but lots of fun. I liked most of the cast quite a lot, and the writing was pretty engaging. I would have liked a little more diversity, but kudos for having an asexual major character--an emotionally available, relatable asexual character at that.
It was a really great book (especially with the fighting scenes!!) but it needed more romance between Cassidy and Thomas. I mean it was like one minute they just teacher and pupil and then BAM! Then they had feelings for each and date.
Amy
Spoilers!

I rarely give 5 stars, but I have already lost my father to medical complications, so when I got to page 301, the tears started falling...till I reached the last page. Amanda, you did I great job! Keep up the good work!
Bookworm007
Oct 30, 2012 Bookworm007 marked it as aint-anywhere-or-out
I freakin' LOVED Zombie Queen of Newbury High; am positive that Demonosity will also be rockin' good!!
Julie
cute and so different. Loved the girl is actually friends with a boy. Also the two love interests are both interesting. its light and loved the mythology with the Black Rose.
Sarah Mae
Wen Cassidy chooses a black rose temporary tattoo to cheer her father up, she has no idea she is sealing her fate as the protector of an ancient essence of the same name.
BookChic Club
GAH I LOVED IT!! I need another Amanda book now (ok, I have the final two Sophie books, but I want another YA!)!!
Tsubasa
 Soph...*Lock&Key*
May 19, 2013 Soph...*Lock&Key* marked it as to-read
This looks like my kinda book. Can't wait for it to come out!
Linda Cohen
Review to come...

I've hit a wall!

Sara
This a fabulous book, Amanda Ashby at her best!
Mery St. Clair
Oct 25, 2012 Mery St. Clair marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
ame la portada!
  • The Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • How (Not) to Find a Boyfriend
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Taste Test
  • My Sister's Reaper (Reaper's Rite, #1)
  • Reaper
  • No Angel
  • In Shadows of Magic
  • Darker Days (The Darker Agency, #1)
  • Mystique
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Texting the Underworld
  • TMI
  • Hollyweird
  • Reign Storm (Demon Princess, #4)
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush
I was born in Australia but after spending sixteen years living between England and New Zealand I've finally settled on the Sunshine Coast. When I'm not moving country I like to write books (okay, I also like to watch television and eat chocolate but let's keep that between ourselves!!)

More about Amanda Ashby...
Fairy Bad Day Zombie Queen of Newbury High You Had Me At Halo Wishful Thinking (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #1) Under a Spell (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #2)