Start by marking “Stay!: Keeper's Story” as Want to Read:
Stay!: Keeper's Story

Stay!: Keeper's Story

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Published March 9th 1999 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Stay!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay!

R.A. Danger
A nice fiction autobiography of Keeper’s life styles, many names, and poems. On his first life style he lives the life of a feral pup (who likes pasta) and makes an enemy (Scar), who will appear off an on though out the book. The second life style he picks is a homeless man and they both make money (the homeless man gets money by using Lucky’s cuteness). In return Lucky protects him from rats. On his third life style he becomes famous and leads a life of the rich and now is called Pal. Then on ...more
My 8 year old son and I just read this book aloud and are utterly charmed by it. Lowry's sophisticated yet accessible style is captivating for adults and children alike. Her sense of humor is extraordinary. We laughed out loud many times and had to take pauses to catch our breath. Amazing tale (and tail). We decided we must own it forever (we read a library book), and it will reside on the shelf right next to "the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DiCamillo.
Mary Lee
I'm going to put this book in my tub of "dog stories," but it's going to take a pretty special 4th grader who will be able to deal with Keeper's advanced vocabulary.
Jaqui
Feb 23, 2010 Jaqui rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids ages 5-12
Recommended to Jaqui by: got it at a bookstore
I read this book in first grade with my mom when I was in Spain- so it has sentimental value- but it is a nice little story.
Jose
this a good story for people who love animals
Michelle Ou
I love how she used the B-word correctly.
JennLynn
A wonderful story about a most erudite canine, first known as Lucky, then Pal, and ultimately Keeper. He writes the varied story of his life - literally from scraps to media star, and composes a little poetry on the side. He never forgets his goal of reuniting with his little sister either. A delightful read for all dog lovers, absolutely perfect until the last two pages which I could have done without (though it is still basically a happy ending for anyone who worries about that).
Mallory Dreiling
This is the story of a dog who tells his own tale. As a pup he is separated from his mother and siblings. This unusual dog learns about living on the dangerous streets and even makes up poetry. He finds human friends, has the chance to win fame and fortune, and is given the name Keeper. Through it all Keeper can't forget his long lost little sister. If only they could be together again, life would be perfect. But an old enemy is watching and waiting to make his move.
Jerome Kuseh
A good children's book.
Mary Whisner
A young dog narrates this story abut his life from his puppyhood in an alley through periods with two different men to a happy home with a girl. (His names are Lucky, Pal, and Keeper?)

Unlike too many dog stories, in this one the dog lives!

I think it would be a good book to read aloud--the author has fun with language, and the dog narrator enjoys composing little poems.

It features warm, cartoony illustrations by True Kelley.
Emily
Finished reading this to my 6-year-old dog lover last night. She liked it a lot, and I absolutely LOVED it. So cute, sweet, funny. The dog narrator has quite a sophisticated vocabulary, and I found it interesting that my daughter would occasionally ask "what does that mean?" but other times, the unfamiliar words did not seem to interfere with her understanding. Adorable.
Melissa
I read this one aloud and I don't think my son got a lot of the humor. It is fun that it is told in the dog's perspective but this lead to some of the jokes that may be too sophisticated for reader's who can follow the simple plot. Lucky/Keeper/Pal with his three names and companions has a tremendous vocabulary for a stray dog!
Shannon
Being a story for children (I needed something easy to read for the half asleep nights to help me fall asleep :) ), I don't feel she should have called Keeper's mother a bitch in the beginning, but whatever... other than that, it was a rather cute story from a dog's point of view.
Taylor Engel
I liked this book. It would be great for young children because they could use their imagination. It would be a good book to have in the classroom library.
Chris Norman
A dog who creates poetry. A wonderful story. As much as I lobe dogs I find many dog books uninteresting. Read this one in a few hours and loved it.
Heather S
Sequoyah Nominee: 1999-2000 (Children's)
Reading Counts Reading Level: 5.9
School Library Journal Age Recommendation: Grades 5-8
Catherine
The dog in this book is so pretentious. The story is okay, but I didn't feel an attachment to any of the characters.
Jose
i would recomend this book to people that love animals and have a sence of humor
Zoe
I remember Stay being stunningly honest, especially for a kids' book.
Julia Hu
kool book. not the best though.
Aspen Cooper
Aspen Cooper marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Megan Goodrich
Megan Goodrich marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Georgia
Georgia is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • The Mayor of Central Park
  • Journey's End (The Last Dogs, #4)
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • Doglands
  • Snot Stew
  • Longtusk (Mammoth, #2)
  • Ratha and Thistle-Chaser (The Named, #3)
  • Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World
  • The Adventures of Unc' Billy Possum
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
  • Dominic
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Red, Stop! Green, Go!: An Interactive Book of Colors
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • Songs in the Year of the Cat (Upper Kingdom, #3)
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...
The Giver (The Giver, #1) Number the Stars Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) Messenger (The Giver, #3) Son (The Giver Quartet, #4)