Start by marking “Smoke In Mirrors” as Want to Read:
Smoke In Mirrors

Smoke In Mirrors

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  5,831 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Charming, seductive scam artist Meredith is dead, and the job of proving that death was no accident is left to Leonora Hutton, who has always been there when Meredith needed her. Thomas Walker has something to prove about Meredith, too -- that the million-dollar inheritance she left Leonora was embezzled from a college endowment fund entrusted to his brother. He gives Leon ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by Putnam Adult (first published January 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke In Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke In Mirrors

Rashika (is tired)
The characters held a lot of potential but the bad romance and week mystery killed it. Also why do all characters end up in a relationship? I don't understand? Why does a HEA for all characters include a romantic relationship?
Ns
Smoke in Mirrors was an interesting murder-mystery with a sizzling romance. The prologue immediately set the tone of the story, immersing the reader right into the mystery. Somewhat confusing, but quite intriguing. Like most prologues, it is only as the story progresses does the pieces start to make sense.

The murder-mystery had its finer moments and other moments that were boring. Thomas Walker and Leonora Hutton played amateur detectives more than really facing any action. The interesting mome
Carrie
3.5*

******Possible Minor Spoilers******

The first half or so of the book was very good. The story grabbed my interest, as did the characters. The first chapter was definitely creepy, and several other times I thought I was in for one of JAK's "touch of paranormal" suspense novels. Even though the second half of the book was still good, the creepy factor dropped away and the resolution ended up being fairly typical mystery fare.

I liked the relationship growth between the main characters. I would
Joy
What does the death of a con artist in SoCal have to do with the suicide of a math genius at a ritzy conservative college? Everything, according to the math genius's brother-in-law, who recruits (with a little strongarming) the con artist's half-sister to help him discover the truth of the matter.

Typically convoluted Krentz setup, and a lot of her usual types (of course Leonora is a research librarian...). Another enjoyable but not particularly memorable read--I had to look up the characters' na
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 2002
Length: 321 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Smalltown.
Sex: Explicit once or twice. Closed door thereafter.
Hero: venture capitalist / investor. Independently wealthy.
Heroine: Librarian

A repeat in many ways of Krentz's Sharp Edges, but a better version of it. Subtle paranormal, good story, nice mystery, sweet romance.

Enjoyable.

Aside:
One of the complaints about 50SoG is that it portray s a version of a relationship many people don't want to see replicated in
Nenya
Oh, btw, Meredith and Leonora (the h) are/were (view spoiler) Thought I should put that on top, just to put the quotes in perspective. Oh and after all of it (the entire novel), h to Meredith (or her ghost/memory, whatever): (view spoiler)

***************************
I normally like JAK. This one, well, here's a snippet of the H's thoughts:
(view spoiler)
Faith Freewoman
I snickered, hooted and giggled all the way through while remaining involved with the mystery as well. The tool jokes and the dog were worth the price of admission.

I've read JAK in all her guises (Amanda Quick, Stephanie James, Jayne Castle, etc), and I probably have most of her books, and love them dearly.

This one marked a departure from her 190's and earlier books. The heroine is not as cutsey, the hero is more of a regular guy, less wierd (not that I don't appreciate these JAK icons...but I
Carrie
Well, well, didn't everyone match up just perfectly! It was almost enough to make me gag, but Krentz pulled it off without any unfortunate reactions from my stomach. Another cute and funny romance, just what I needed to get my head out of the last book I read. And, Wrench is now quite possibly my favorite literary dog.
Vanessa
I loved this book. The characters are developed and likable, the plot has twists, and I did not guess who the killer was or how the ending would play out. The romance is also nicely developed as well. The prologue sucked me right in. A nice lighter mystery read.
Denise
Good premise and execution. Good romance, okay mystery. I have this thing about mirrors, so exploring what they might symbolize in occult terms was really interesting.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Love me some Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz, but this one was kinda boring. the pacing was off.
Bonnie Randall
This novel did not pretend to be anything other than what it was: a straight-up, formulaic, romantic suspense - and you know? It's good. No insta-love or skanky insta-sex that's become the Holy Grail of 2k romances. Here there is mystery (though a titch convoluted) and a gothic-y setting; foggy woods which hold a house-turned-library, within which every wall is covered with creepy antique mirrors.

Oh, how I wish those creepy mirrors had played a bigger role (but I am a ghoul, so don't mind me).

Ok
Heather
This is the kind of book where rooms are always chambers, the past is always yesteryear, hallways are always corridors, and books are always tomes. And where perfectly ordinary mid-nineteenth century books of no particular value but with cool marbled end papers count as "ancient tomes" which makes me nuts. I like to imagine that JAK does this with a twinkle in her eye, sort of deliberately trying to sound Gothic and mysterious, but I worry that a) she thinks her readers are dumb or b) she really ...more
Gmc
Smoke in Mirrors by Jayne Ann Krentz
Meredith Spooner lived fast and died young and sends a last will and testament via e-mail to Leonora Hutton. Now it appears that Meredith's last scam is coming back to haunt her friend Leonora Hutton. Leonora is her half sister.
Leonora wants nothing to do with the tainted money, taken from an endowment fund at a small college. She's been accused of being in on the theft by Thomas Walker who, apparently, was a victim of Meredith's knack for both scams and seduc
Lara
I've only listened to the audio version of this book, which I enjoy because there are two narrators, a man and a woman. The male voices and hero's perspective chapters are narrated by the man, and the female ones by the woman. The story has many of Krentz's trademark themes: a librarian heroine, a faithful pet, thick fog, a near miss on a deserted highway, and dream messages. Not to mention a murder (or more), a break-in, an annoying ex-boyfriend/fiance, and a mystery.

This book had two men who
Amanda
The mystery was fun, but the romance was lacking in angst and seemed too easy. I enjoyed the side stories and side romances though. Though I think the suspense outdid the romance of this one, I still enjoyed it. Thomas wasn't super alpha male, and Leonora was kind of a nerd. It was a fun read, it just didn't give me any of those gushy heart feels I crave in a novel. A longer review will be up at https://amandasdailygrind.wordpress.com/ on June 17.
Darlene
The book is good, but not Krentz's best work. There are pages that will have you laughing out loud and others that will leave you unsatisfied. The plot of the investigation is a little quirky. The the smoke in mirrors theme was good and there is a cool twist you will not see coming. However, the ending of the book felt weak and unresolved to me. Mirrors are a major focus in the story, however, they did not tie into the story as much as it should have.
Maria
You gotta love Jayne Ann Krentz books. In two one-line paragraphs in the first chapter, she manages to spark a whole series of images for the reader. Get this.
"Two junkyard dogs stood in the doorway of the bedroom.
One of them was human."
Incredible timing and style.
I give this book a five-star rating for the characters alone. A lot of people would see a similarity in all of Ms. Krentz's characters from book to book, but I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I look forward to meeting and re
Gargi
What I like best about this book is that the mystery part never gets interrupted by the romance part. Unlike other most of the romantic suspence novels at the end this novels has logical explanation of the events in chronological order. Though it's not that hard to put up all the pieces together to find out the murderer and you can always use your reader's intuition about who it is but when the charecters discuss about how they figured it out you can compare your train of thought with them i.e. ...more
Marty Mayer
Excellent read. My favorite character is the dog, Wrench! The mystery was just enough convoluted to be entertaining and diverting.
Deanna Against Censorship
My least favorite of Krentz's (by any name) books. I liked the characters, but they were not deeply drawn. They lacked substance. The start gave indications of Arcane possibiliets, but ended as a simple mystery. It was almost like the author changed her mind about the plot half way through the book. I have loved other books of Krentz/Quick and will read more.
I listened to this book, as I have many of her books. There were two narrators. James Daniels was good. He made the characters and story c
Shirl
This is a good mystery with twists and turns. The characters are likeable and work well with the story.
Bette
Not exactly page-turning, rather predictable.
Karren
Very similar style to Sue Grafton's, Kinsey Millhouse series. Enjoyed the plot, but the ending was a little cheesy
Sara Bartlett
First book I've read of this author, I was pleased with the book I bought in a thrift store. Very well written, good character development, realistic, no tricks or fillers, a good mystery although I did figure out the riddle early on in the book. The ending was a surprise, however, but one that could not have been predicted because our author added a final surprise that came out of the blue. But still good, I'll look up her other work and read more.
Lauren Acton
This book definitely had satisfying romance but the suspense was awkwardly plotted. It was clear that the first resolution wasn't the real one, even without Leonora's continued bad dreams, but after the mystery was "solved" the first time, I lost interest in the story. The mirror imagery throughout was pretty well done but the scene where our hero tells off Leonora's ex went on for FAR too long and gave me that embarrassed, want-to-stop-reading feeling.
Kevin
I bought this book for a dollar while on vacation. I have not read this author before but I see some mixed reviews from those that have read if. I will use my 100 page rule. If the book doesn't grab me by the hundredth page I put the book down and move onto a different book.
Well I finished this book last week and it did have some intrigue along the way the end had a nice twist that I didn't see coming.....
Sam
This author takes what I interpreted as a popular cultural approach to a feminist character--I see this often in mystery novels that feature female leads. This leads to a lot of saying one thing and doing another throughout the story, which can get on my nerves. However, it was a good story that masked the murderer's identity for a long time. It had a bit of creepy ghost story elements to it as well, and these added to the suspense.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Smoke in Mirrors (2002) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 01:09PM
  • Wait Until Midnight
  • Silver Master (Harmony #4)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • The Color of Death
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)

“Why is it that fancy hotels always locate the rooms that are supposed to be accessible to folks in wheelchairs and walkers at the end of the hall as far from the elevators as possible? And why is it those rooms are always the ones with the worst views?” 0 likes
“When it comes to this kind of thing we can all hold out helping hands to each other, doctors can supply some very helpful medications, but in the end, each of us has to have the will to swim to shore on our own. No one can carry another person. Not for long, at any rate.” 0 likes