Racing the Devil

Racing the Devil (Jared McKean Mystery #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Nashville private investigator Jared McKean has a son with Down syndrome, a best friend with AIDS, an ex-wife he can’t seem to fall out of love with, and a weakness for women in jeopardy—until one frames him for murder. His DNA and fingerprints are found at the murder scene. His voice is on the victim’s answering machine, and the victim was killed by a bullet from his gun....more
Published January 9th 2012 by Permanent Press (NY) (first published December 13th 2010)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Report: Nashville private investigator Jared McKean has a son with Down syndrome, a best friend with AIDS, an ex-wife he can’t seem to fall out of love with, and a weakness for women in jeopardy—until one frames him for murder. His DNA and fingerprints are found at the murder scene. His voice is on the victim’s answering machine, and the victim was killed by a bullet from his gun. To make matters worse, his teen-aged nephew comes out of the closet and runs away to jo...more
J. Orenduff
As the title implies, a fast-paced book with many twists and turns. Great characters, dialog and sense of place (Nashville). I know it's corny, but I couldn't put it down because I had to find out who set the protagonist up and why.
Monie
When private investigator Jared McKean wakes up from a one-night stand he's got one more problem than he went to bed with. Besides having a best friend with AIDS, being fired from the Nashville PD Homicide department and still being in love with his ex-wife he's now being framed for murder. Once he makes bail he has to track down the real murderer while the body count keeps rising and deal with his own family drama.

Racing the Devil is book one in the new Jared McKean series and it's a fairly goo...more
Amy
TPB/Mystery: A disclaimer first: I got this free bound galley from GoodReads. I did, however, like it a lot and finished it in two days. The story is about a PI who is framed for murder after a one-night stand in a hotel room. Jared McKean is a lonely guy and uses bad judgement, several times. The only issue I had with this book was that as a former cop and homicide detective, he makes some big mistakes in the beginning after realizing he's been framed. If he had handled things differently, he w...more
Vicky
I won this as a first-read so I was skeptical. Liked it from the first page. Kept me interested throughout the whole book. Easy to read. Letting my husband read it now because I knew he would like it.
D. Alan
Racing the Devil is the first of the Jared McKean mystery series written by Nashville native, Jaden Terrell. It is a top-notch PI novel that drops a former cop turned private investigator in to a nightmare that few would have the ability to escape from.
Jared McKean awakens to find himself framed for the murder of a young Christian housewife. The Police have his DNA, prints and eyewitness testimony to prove he was the killer. Thing is, McKean isn’t the type of man to go down without a fight.

Throu...more
Frank Errington
OK, so it's not a Horror novel, kill me...no wait, I take that back. Sue me instead. At least that way if someone takes me literally, I have nothing to lose.

I picked this up a few months back as a free read from LibraryThing.com. It's a Mystery novel, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer Horror and well it does mention the Devil, in the title.

At 246 pages, it was a pretty quick read and an excellent one, at that. Racing the Devil introduces the reader to Jared McKean, a Nashv...more
Kathleen
Carve out a chunk of free time to read this novel, because you won’t be able to put it down until you reach the end of this tale.

Set in Nashville, Tennessee, Racing the Devil is the first in the Jared McKean mystery series by Jaden Terrell. McKean is an ex-cop turned private detective who is framed for murder, in what looks like the perfect crime.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to create what looks like solid evidence of McKean’s guilt. But even as he works to untangle the strands of eviden...more
Sheila
A man walks into a bar. Observant ex-cop, he sees the stories behind the people there. Divorced and lonely, he sees the needy woman too. But soon he’s bitten off more than he can chew. Charged with a murder that’s got his fingerprints all over it, Jared McKean finds his world falling apart. Luckily he has some true and valiant friends who rally to defend him from the most unlikely places, sending him off on a race to clear his name.

Jaden Terrell’s Racing the Devil is no cut-and-dried who-dun-it....more
Alana White
Feb 10, 2012 Alana White rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers everywhere
Racing the Devil  A Jared McKean Mystery by Jaden Terrell Jaden Terrell's "Racing the Devil" (a Jared McKean mystery) is a real winner. Beautifully written, this story set in Nashville has everything good going for it: engaging, well-drawn characters that don't fit the standard mold (Jared has a young son with Down's syndrome, and his best friend, roommate, and staunchest supporter, Jay, has AIDS) and a storyline that will keep you guessing till the end. From the moment Jared—who is still in love with his married ex-wife—enters a motel room with the...more
Carlyle Clark
Jaden Terrell's excellent debut mystery novel RACING THE DEVIL provides freshness to the niche genre that is the noir male private eye, while still giving the readers of niche everything they look for. Characters with troubled pasts, women with ulterior motives, sudden violence, but unlike much of noir, the protagonist, Jared McKean is far from a loner and has rich and interesting relationships with is family, child, roommate, friends and even horses.

Racing the Devil starts with the novel's prot...more
Doug Bower
I really enjoyed this mystery and look forward to the next installment in the series. The primary character Jared McKean is a former police officer turned private eye. His relationship with the police is strained, he is divorced but is still in love with his ex-wife who has remarried, he is thoroughly devoted to his 8 year old son who has Downs, and he lives with a good friend who is gay and has Aids (although Jared is heterosexual). Jared is set-up for a brutal murder and must prove his innocen...more
Joe Young
An engaging story with a typically flawed private detective principal character drawn into a temporary liaison where evidence is collected to frame him for murder. The characters are well developed and largely sympathetic where the reader is drawn into their individual lives and forms and emotional connection. Occasionally, I had to ask "could her really be this dumb" after he stepped into yet another frame-up but, the P.I. did have a lovable naive nature and was basically honorable and honest a...more
Les Gehman
Racing the Devil by Jaden Terrell is an excellent mystery by a new writer. It is a really nicely crafted mystery, but I really enjoyed the characters, and hope to read more about them in future books. This book is a well-written murder mystery, with likeable (for the most part) characters placed in a dangerous, complex situation. I'll definitely be looking for more books by Terrell.

Thanks to LibraryThing's Early Reviewers for a chance to read this bound galley.
Monica Happy Reading All!!
Racing the devil is a fast paced book that keeps your attention and wondering if Jared McKean will figure out who set him up for murder. Jared is an ex cop turned private detective who wakes up after a night with a women who is in need of a good honest man.
While he is fighting the charge of murder his ex wife is pregnant with her new husband's child, his nephew is gay and runs away. As Jared tries to solve his own case he worries about his family and friends.
This is the first book in the Jared...more
Susan Goss
The book was awesome!! Fast paced and kept me guessing til the end!! What a shock, never saw it coming.
St first I thought it was going to be another boring PI book, but this one has mystery, suspense, family drama, etc.. Story line made Jared seem like a real life person. Thumbs up to Jaden Terrell. You have a winner with "Racing The Devil."

I received this book through GoodReads!!
Carol K.
I won this amazing book on Goodreads. The author brought his own life experiences and areas of knowledge into the writing which made the story authentic. The plot, with all its twists and turns and suspense made the book impossible to put down, and of course, the good guy coming out as a winner in spite of all the challenges is always satisfying.
Deb Simpson
A mystery in Music City from Jaden Terrell, who knows all about mystery and she is the Executive Director of Killer Nashville! And, here again, is a mystery from a master in who-dun-its.

This one will keep you up at night, turning the pages, and turning over the plot and subplot!

A book not to be missed!
Debbie Rosenbalm
I was hooked as soon as I picked it up. Finished it that night. Great story. Would love to read more.Passing it on to family now to read. Thanks for the book will look up more from Jaden Terrell now to read.
Cherie
I received this book free from Goodreads. This was an excellently written book that grabs your attention from the very beginning. Looking forward to the next title in the series.
Kayla
I could not put this book down, it was a fast paced book with lots of twists. I highly recommend this book!
Abc
Nov 15, 2011 Abc marked it as to-read
I won this book in a giveaway. Thank you.
Dave
Been busy and haven't updated this site for a wee while... so, I am reviewing an unmemorable book that I don't remember too much about. I do remember getting bored, I do remember that I didn't like the main character, while secretly admiring him for his sexploits. But really, a book that I could have lived without reading. I would have given it a one star, but I did finish it, so two stars
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jared McKean, PI
SETTING: Nashville
SERIES: #1
RATING: 4.5
WHY: Former cop and current PI Jared McKean meets a woman at a bar who appears to have been abused. He feels protective toward her, and they end up spending the night together. Only for him it's a day and a half--she has drugged him and he awakes framed for the murder of another woman. He has been expertly set up--they have his DNA and fingerprints at the scene, his voice on her answering machine. It's hard for even his closest...more
Ann
I had already read the next in the series and liked it so well that I wanted to start at the beginning. Really like the characters, the setting, the action. And the author whom I met at Murder in the Magic City earlier this year. More, Jaden, more!
Angela Trumbo
The author, Jaden Terrell, does a great job of depicting the life of Jared McKeen, a ruggedly handsome cowboy type ex-cop turned private detective who is working hard to make sense of the unfavorable changes in his life. Jaden Terrell shows us how a broken heart can make a man more vulnerable to the wiles of a deceitful woman and the target of a killer hell bent on revenge. Racing the Devil as told through the eyes of the main character is a story portrayed in such a realistic way that will have...more
Diana Hockley
From the first couple of lines I knew I would like this book. I was wrong! I loved it. Jaden Terrell brings his characters to life from the opening sentences. His hero, Jared, is a likeable person, not so macho as to be overbearing, vunerable as most of us are, with creature failings.

The tension is maintained throughout, the plot intricate but understandable and the prose well written. Terrell's dialogue is excellent and something I always like - animals are included in the story. I stayed up la...more
Steve
I won this book in a first reads giveaway. It is a great mystery novel for a quick read. I can't say there is anything really memorable about it other than the fact that it does well at uncovering clues a layer at a time to keep you guessing until the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

I can definitely recommend this book to mystery readers who are looking for something that deviates a little bit from the norm. I found this to be a good, original story that followed a relatively predic...more
Terri
I enjoyed this book. First one of a series (and the first 2 were released at the same time), I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd--which I just happened to have from the library. I thought the plot was put together well, like the characters, especially the fact that the hero and his ex still care for one another and are staying "friends" for the sake of their child. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Neil
aden Terrell has done a great job with her first novel. McKean is a protagonist that you can really empathize with. Although dealing with numerous difficult situations around him, he always manages to stay positive, which is really refreshing. Other than a few parts of the plot line that felt somewhat forced, it was still overall a very solid book, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Jaden Terrell is the executive director of the Killer Nashville Thriller, Mystery, and Crime Literature Conference and the author of two novels, <1>Racing the Devil (January 2012) and A Cup Full of Midnight, (August 2012) featuring Nashville-based private detective Jared McKean.

Terrell has attended the Metro Nashville, FBI/TBI, and TBI Citizen Academies and is a member of Mystery Writers of...more
More about Jaden Terrell...
A Cup Full of Midnight River of Glass