Start by marking “Racing the Devil” as Want to Read:
Racing the Devil

Racing the Devil (Jared McKean Mystery #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Nashville private investigator Jared McKean has a son with Down syndrome, a best friend with AIDS, an ex-wife he can’t seem to fall out of love with, and a weakness for women in jeopardy—until one frames him for murder. His DNA and fingerprints are found at the murder scene. His voice is on the victim’s answering machine, and the victim was killed by a bullet from his gun. ...more
Published January 9th 2012 by Permanent Press (NY) (first published December 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Racing the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Racing the Devil

Richard Derus
May 11, 2014 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Book Report: Nashville private investigator Jared McKean has a son with Down syndrome, a best friend with AIDS, an ex-wife he can’t seem to fall out of love with, and a weakness for women in jeopardy—until one frames him for murder. His DNA and fingerprints are found at the murder scene. His voice is on the victim’s answering machine, and the victim was killed by a bullet from his gun. To make matters worse, his teen-aged nephew comes out of the closet and runs away to jo
J. Orenduff
Feb 01, 2011 J. Orenduff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the title implies, a fast-paced book with many twists and turns. Great characters, dialog and sense of place (Nashville). I know it's corny, but I couldn't put it down because I had to find out who set the protagonist up and why.
Maddy
Jun 03, 2015 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
PROTAGONIST: Jared McKean, PI
SETTING: Nashville
SERIES: #1
RATING: 4.5

Jared McKean is a private investigator in Nashville who was formerly a cop. He’s having a drink at a local bar when he meets a woman who looks like she’s been the victim of abuse. He feels protective toward her, and they end up having sex in a motel. That may sound like a typical guy-meets-girl-in-bar scenario, but this situation is definitely different. Jared doesn’t wake up for a day and a half since he’s been drugged. He then
Monie
Dec 28, 2011 Monie rated it really liked it
When private investigator Jared McKean wakes up from a one-night stand he's got one more problem than he went to bed with. Besides having a best friend with AIDS, being fired from the Nashville PD Homicide department and still being in love with his ex-wife he's now being framed for murder. Once he makes bail he has to track down the real murderer while the body count keeps rising and deal with his own family drama.

Racing the Devil is book one in the new Jared McKean series and it's a fairly goo
Amy
Jun 16, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
TPB/Mystery: A disclaimer first: I got this free bound galley from GoodReads. I did, however, like it a lot and finished it in two days. The story is about a PI who is framed for murder after a one-night stand in a hotel room. Jared McKean is a lonely guy and uses bad judgement, several times. The only issue I had with this book was that as a former cop and homicide detective, he makes some big mistakes in the beginning after realizing he's been framed. If he had handled things differently, he w ...more
Vicky
Nov 26, 2011 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as a first-read so I was skeptical. Liked it from the first page. Kept me interested throughout the whole book. Easy to read. Letting my husband read it now because I knew he would like it.
D. Alan
Oct 31, 2011 D. Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Racing the Devil is the first of the Jared McKean mystery series written by Nashville native, Jaden Terrell. It is a top-notch PI novel that drops a former cop turned private investigator in to a nightmare that few would have the ability to escape from.
Jared McKean awakens to find himself framed for the murder of a young Christian housewife. The Police have his DNA, prints and eyewitness testimony to prove he was the killer. Thing is, McKean isn’t the type of man to go down without a fight.

Throu
Frank Errington
Jun 26, 2012 Frank Errington rated it it was amazing
OK, so it's not a Horror novel, kill me...no wait, I take that back. Sue me instead. At least that way if someone takes me literally, I have nothing to lose.

I picked this up a few months back as a free read from LibraryThing.com. It's a Mystery novel, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer Horror and well it does mention the Devil, in the title.

At 246 pages, it was a pretty quick read and an excellent one, at that. Racing the Devil introduces the reader to Jared McKean, a Nashv
Kathleen
Feb 18, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Carve out a chunk of free time to read this novel, because you won’t be able to put it down until you reach the end of this tale.

Set in Nashville, Tennessee, Racing the Devil is the first in the Jared McKean mystery series by Jaden Terrell. McKean is an ex-cop turned private detective who is framed for murder, in what looks like the perfect crime.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to create what looks like solid evidence of McKean’s guilt. But even as he works to untangle the strands of eviden
Sheila
Dec 26, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing
A man walks into a bar. Observant ex-cop, he sees the stories behind the people there. Divorced and lonely, he sees the needy woman too. But soon he’s bitten off more than he can chew. Charged with a murder that’s got his fingerprints all over it, Jared McKean finds his world falling apart. Luckily he has some true and valiant friends who rally to defend him from the most unlikely places, sending him off on a race to clear his name.

Jaden Terrell’s Racing the Devil is no cut-and-dried who-dun-it.
Alana White
Feb 10, 2012 Alana White rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers everywhere
Racing the Devil A Jared McKean Mystery by Jaden Terrell Jaden Terrell's "Racing the Devil" (a Jared McKean mystery) is a real winner. Beautifully written, this story set in Nashville has everything good going for it: engaging, well-drawn characters that don't fit the standard mold (Jared has a young son with Down's syndrome, and his best friend, roommate, and staunchest supporter, Jay, has AIDS) and a storyline that will keep you guessing till the end. From the moment Jared—who is still in love with his married ex-wife—enters a motel room with the ...more
Carlyle Clark
Dec 15, 2011 Carlyle Clark rated it it was amazing
Jaden Terrell's excellent debut mystery novel RACING THE DEVIL provides freshness to the niche genre that is the noir male private eye, while still giving the readers of niche everything they look for. Characters with troubled pasts, women with ulterior motives, sudden violence, but unlike much of noir, the protagonist, Jared McKean is far from a loner and has rich and interesting relationships with is family, child, roommate, friends and even horses.

Racing the Devil starts with the novel's prot
Doug Bower
Jan 08, 2012 Doug Bower rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this mystery and look forward to the next installment in the series. The primary character Jared McKean is a former police officer turned private eye. His relationship with the police is strained, he is divorced but is still in love with his ex-wife who has remarried, he is thoroughly devoted to his 8 year old son who has Downs, and he lives with a good friend who is gay and has Aids (although Jared is heterosexual). Jared is set-up for a brutal murder and must prove his innocen ...more
Joe Young
Dec 15, 2011 Joe Young rated it really liked it
An engaging story with a typically flawed private detective principal character drawn into a temporary liaison where evidence is collected to frame him for murder. The characters are well developed and largely sympathetic where the reader is drawn into their individual lives and forms and emotional connection. Occasionally, I had to ask "could her really be this dumb" after he stepped into yet another frame-up but, the P.I. did have a lovable naive nature and was basically honorable and honest a ...more
Les Gehman
Dec 25, 2011 Les Gehman rated it really liked it
Racing the Devil by Jaden Terrell is an excellent mystery by a new writer. It is a really nicely crafted mystery, but I really enjoyed the characters, and hope to read more about them in future books. This book is a well-written murder mystery, with likeable (for the most part) characters placed in a dangerous, complex situation. I'll definitely be looking for more books by Terrell.

Thanks to LibraryThing's Early Reviewers for a chance to read this bound galley.
Monica
Dec 28, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
Racing the devil is a fast paced book that keeps your attention and wondering if Jared McKean will figure out who set him up for murder. Jared is an ex cop turned private detective who wakes up after a night with a women who is in need of a good honest man.
While he is fighting the charge of murder his ex wife is pregnant with her new husband's child, his nephew is gay and runs away. As Jared tries to solve his own case he worries about his family and friends.
This is the first book in the Jared
Susan Goss
Dec 09, 2011 Susan Goss rated it it was amazing
The book was awesome!! Fast paced and kept me guessing til the end!! What a shock, never saw it coming.
St first I thought it was going to be another boring PI book, but this one has mystery, suspense, family drama, etc.. Story line made Jared seem like a real life person. Thumbs up to Jaden Terrell. You have a winner with "Racing The Devil."

I received this book through GoodReads!!
Carol K.
Dec 19, 2011 Carol K. rated it it was amazing
I won this amazing book on Goodreads. The author brought his own life experiences and areas of knowledge into the writing which made the story authentic. The plot, with all its twists and turns and suspense made the book impossible to put down, and of course, the good guy coming out as a winner in spite of all the challenges is always satisfying.
Deb Simpson
Feb 11, 2012 Deb Simpson rated it it was amazing
A mystery in Music City from Jaden Terrell, who knows all about mystery and she is the Executive Director of Killer Nashville! And, here again, is a mystery from a master in who-dun-its.

This one will keep you up at night, turning the pages, and turning over the plot and subplot!

A book not to be missed!
Debbie Rosenbalm
Dec 31, 2011 Debbie Rosenbalm rated it it was amazing
I was hooked as soon as I picked it up. Finished it that night. Great story. Would love to read more.Passing it on to family now to read. Thanks for the book will look up more from Jaden Terrell now to read.
Rebecca Mulligan
A Compassionate Detective

This is an interesting first book for a series. Jared McCain is a detective, former policeman, who is very convincingly set up in the first chapter of the book for the murder of a woman he does not know. Even Jared's former partner believes he is guilty. Jared begins to break the set-up and encounters the victim's sister who seems to harbour many secrets of her own. Many threads of Jared's past come together as Jared solves the murder. Jared is revealed as a sensitive, c
Cherie
Apr 18, 2012 Cherie rated it really liked it
I received this book free from Goodreads. This was an excellently written book that grabs your attention from the very beginning. Looking forward to the next title in the series.
Kayla
Dec 07, 2011 Kayla rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down, it was a fast paced book with lots of twists. I highly recommend this book!
Abc
Nov 15, 2011 Abc marked it as to-read
I won this book in a giveaway. Thank you.
Dave
Jun 18, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok
Been busy and haven't updated this site for a wee while... so, I am reviewing an unmemorable book that I don't remember too much about. I do remember getting bored, I do remember that I didn't like the main character, while secretly admiring him for his sexploits. But really, a book that I could have lived without reading. I would have given it a one star, but I did finish it, so two stars
Ann
Mar 25, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
I had already read the next in the series and liked it so well that I wanted to start at the beginning. Really like the characters, the setting, the action. And the author whom I met at Murder in the Magic City earlier this year. More, Jaden, more!
Angela Trumbo
Mar 02, 2013 Angela Trumbo rated it it was amazing
The author, Jaden Terrell, does a great job of depicting the life of Jared McKeen, a ruggedly handsome cowboy type ex-cop turned private detective who is working hard to make sense of the unfavorable changes in his life. Jaden Terrell shows us how a broken heart can make a man more vulnerable to the wiles of a deceitful woman and the target of a killer hell bent on revenge. Racing the Devil as told through the eyes of the main character is a story portrayed in such a realistic way that will have ...more
Beverly
Nov 26, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Nashville PI Jared McKean has been framed for murder. His DNA and fingerprints are found at the murder scene, his voice is on the victim's answering machine, and the victim was killed with a bullet from his gun. Now he must find a way to clear his name. A great book which leaves you wanting to read a sequel.
Diana Hockley
Dec 22, 2012 Diana Hockley rated it it was amazing
From the first couple of lines I knew I would like this book. I was wrong! I loved it. Jaden Terrell brings his characters to life from the opening sentences. His hero, Jared, is a likeable person, not so macho as to be overbearing, vunerable as most of us are, with creature failings.

The tension is maintained throughout, the plot intricate but understandable and the prose well written. Terrell's dialogue is excellent and something I always like - animals are included in the story. I stayed up la
David Marshall
Aug 30, 2014 David Marshall rated it really liked it
This is an impressive first novel with a family-oriented PI being framed for murder.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Fallen Angels
  • Death in a Wine Dark Sea
  • Overture to Disaster (Post Cold War Political Thriller Trilogy)
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • Black Swan
  • Lords of Trillium
  • Sisters in Crime 2 (Sisters in Crime, #2)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • Killerfind
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • The Undertaker
  • Missing Girl
  • Sweet Little Lies
  • Mr. Kill (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom, #7)
  • An Unattended Death
  • The Network
  • Sabotage
Jaden Terrell is the Shamus award-nominated author of three novels, <1>Racing the Devil (January 2012), A Cup Full of Midnight, (August 2012), and River of Glass featuring Nashville-based private detective Jared McKean.

Terrell has attended the Metro Nashville, FBI/TBI, and TBI Citizen Academies and is a member of Mystery Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Sisters in Crime, W
More about Jaden Terrell...

Jared McKean Mystery (3 books)
  • A Cup Full of Midnight