Start by marking “Beautiful Kate” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Kate

Beautiful Kate

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
"A born storyteller." —St. Louis Post Dispatch

Wanted as a material witness in a drug-smuggling case, Gregg Kendall is hiding out at his family's old Chicago home. While there, he finds himself thinking about his long dead siblings, older brother Cliff and twin sister Kate. The two died in a car crash years before, and as Gregg revisits and relives the memories of his chil
Published May 1st 1982 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Kate

David
Aug 13, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While it did contain some dark twists and rather shocking moments, it was an overall good read. To give you an idea of the novel's dark undertone, here is Greg describing how he feels about his nostalgic childhood memories before jotting them down on paper: "No, about all I have to do is endure them in memory, as they track through my head, much like random particles of radioactivity. One barely feels himself dying."

Wow.

On a more personal note, this book reminde
Sue
Aug 19, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Okay, this is a complicated book to review. I loved it, by the way. It all started with the movie (by the same name), which I saw on cable a few weeks ago. Have you ever had an evening in which you were ready to go to bed, started to watch a movie, and then could not tear yourself away? This is precisely what happened, and I had never heard of the book, author, or movie.
Rachel Ward, one of my favorite actresses, produced it. Her husband Bryan Brown, starred in it, along with Rachael Griffiths,
The_raisinet
Apr 27, 2012 The_raisinet rated it liked it
Beautiful Kate is NOT a 'light, breezy' read. It is uncomfortable, painfully so, in certain parts. It is an open wound, being poked at relentlessly every time you read another chapter. It isn't completely horrifying however, it does add a level of humanity to the situation this family and Ned find themselves in, one involving a (in my opinion) crazy Kate.

Kate as a character was sometimes too much for me. The one complain I have about this book is that it didn't offer much insight about Kate her
Tami
Tami added it
Jul 22, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Chris Pondish
Chris Pondish rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Kiku Yuki
Kiku Yuki marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ingi
Ingi marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Chasity
Chasity rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Anthony Nesbitt
Anthony Nesbitt rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Bmac
Bmac marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Judi
Judi marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Adria Robinson
Adria Robinson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Pratyush Kumar
Pratyush Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Rioronin
Rioronin rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Kyah
Kyah marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Emilia
Emilia marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Misanthropist
Misanthropist marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
David
David added it
May 15, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Listless Lilac
Listless Lilac marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Alessia
Alessia marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Nya
Nya marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Minime
Minime marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Roger Leatherwood
Roger Leatherwood rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Aurelya Hyjal
Aurelya Hyjal marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Harvey, Illinois, Thornburg graduated from the University of Iowa with a Fine Arts degree. He worked in a variety of jobs before devoting himself to writing full-time (or at least in tandem with his cattle farm in the Ozarks) in 1973.
His 1976 novel Cutter and Bone was filmed in 1981 as Cutter's Way. The New York Times called Cutter and Bone "the best novel of its kind for ten years." Anoth
More about Newton Thornburg...