Start by marking “Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)” as Want to Read:
Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)

Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)

When Mary George Murphy finds that her Aunt Caroline fell down a flight of stairs to her death, she's heartbroken. To make matters worse, Mary is sure that Caroline's death was no accident.

Enter Augusta Goodnight, Mary's guardian angel. Normally assigned to Heaven's strawberry fields, Augusta died during WWII -- which explains her old-fashioned glamour and love of swing. S
Published October 30th 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Angel at Troublesome Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel at Troublesome Creek

❂ Jennifer
A book I re-read periodically that has never lost its charm. Great characters, and a solid mystery - there's just very little I disliked in this slim but fast-paced mystery.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/107286...
Meggie Mccauley
Nov 06, 2016 Meggie Mccauley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
funny
Lori Henrich
Augusta is a guardian angel. She is sent to help Mary George who was trying to kill herself at the time of her first meeting. Mary George has been through some difficult things. First of all she had recently lost her job, her fiance broke up with her and if that wasn't enough her Aunt Caroline was found dead in her home. Aunt Caroline and Uncle Henry took Mary in and treated her like their own when she was a little girl. Mary George wasn't sure that her Aunt's death was an accident. Augusta tell ...more
Gail
Apr 10, 2010 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Mary George Murphy is not very good at committing suicide. She tried poison and it tasted bad, she didn't have enough gas in her tank, and the rope was frayed. When she fell through the banister when the rope broke, she hears a voice and meets Augusta Goodnight, her standin guardian angel.

With Augusta's help (or was she even really there), Mary George unravels the mystery of her aunt's sudden death, finds a family, finds live, and gets her life back on trap.

Charming and quirky book helps pass th
Susan
When Aunt Caroline, Mary George's adopted mother, dies, Mary George knows it's no accident. Caroline had promised her she would not try to go to the attic alone. Her boyfriend has betrayed her, her boss has fired her, and Mary George is at the end of her rope--literally. That's when Augusta Goodnight appears, claiming to be Mary George's guardian angel. Interesting things start to happen in Mary George's life, but despite Augusta's intermittent visits, Mary George is not sure who she can trust.
Jessica
An quick and easy summer read. I like someone else's description of the book as "cozy." I didn't really care for the main character Mary George Murphy, but I liked the character Augusta Goodnight so I'll likely check out the next book in the series before I make a decision whether or not to carry on with it.

Also, it reminded me of "The Sugar Queen" by Sarah Addison Allen. Very similar story elements - food, magic, mystery, etc.
Bonnie McHenry
For a book about a guardian angel who helps to solve murders, the guardian angels appearance was minimal. Very disappointing and not a great mystery. The writer seemed to flip flop plots throughout the book. The main character was likable but I thought there would be more about the guardian angel. Very cute idea if the angel would have been more developed and part of the story. Haven't decided on whether or not I will read the 2nd in the series.
Grace
Sep 17, 2013 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trying a new author. Set in the present with a guardian angel from the 40s. One thing I thought was interesting was the guardian angel was typically in charge of the strawberry fields in Heaven. She said they had strawberry fields and angels who took care of puppies and the such because of all the people who say "it wouldn't be Heaven if there wasn't chocolate or (fill in the blank)." interesting thought. As far as the rest of the book, it was pleasant.
Stephanie
Jan 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
This is not a thriller or a can't put it down kind of book. I enjoyed it because it was cute in regards to the angel without being religious. THe Angel was from another period in time, so that added interest to the story. Also it was a 'cozy' murder mystery, but had other mysteries in it as well.

Best wishes for good reads!!

Jani
Feb 26, 2008 Jani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbackswap
This was a cute book. A "cozy" book is the term I have heard that would fit. I got two more of the books of the series that I will read in the next few weeks. I hope they are as cute. They are perfect books for when you are in the mood to read but not "think" too much.. with a cup of cocoa and a roaring fire..
Mary
Apr 08, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book.It took
so many twists and turns and the characters,
especially the 1940's angel, were such lovable
characters. Humor was interwoven through out.

This is my first novel to read by Mignon F.Ballard
and I look forward to many more.
Michelle
May 19, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the "Angel" series of mysteries by Mignon Ballard. So when I found a bunch of them at the library, I checked out a whole stack. It's kind of a different perspective on guardian angels. Good cozy.
Susan
Jun 15, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is a cute book about a young woman, Mary George, and her guardian angel. Mary George's adopted mother (aunt) fell down the steps and died, and Mary George (and her guardian angel) feel it was not an accident. It's a clean mystery and kept me guessing. There are a few swear words.
Christy
Oct 16, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 2nd book in the Augusta Goodnight Mystery series was a fun and quick cozy read full of mystery, and a little romance and suspense. I'm ready to read the next installment and see what delicious items Augusta is baking and what new fashion creations she has sewn up.
ara133photography
Aug 09, 2010 ara133photography rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Super cute!! A very cozy, comforting book. I've reread it several times, when I'm feeling anxious, down, rainy day bluesy... A quirky guardian angel helps solve a mystery; the main characters are well fleshed-out and likeable.
Ann Babcock
Jul 03, 2014 Ann Babcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery!!!
Alexandra
Sep 06, 2007 Alexandra marked it as looks-interesting-maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
1st in the series.
Sheetal
I adored the character of Augusta Goodnight. Its a bit of comical mystery may be because of the character of guardian angel. A very simple mystery. A light read.
Gabrielle
A lot better than Ms. Dimple disappears. This shows that you can't judge the quality of an author's work based on one book. I'm considering on rereading Ms. Dimple disappears.
Shirl
Dec 03, 2013 Shirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful tale about an angel and a sad young woman. Good reading
Marissa
Sep 28, 2009 Marissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A simple mystery book with a quirky angel helper. Not sure if I am hooked enough to the characters. I will give the second book a try to see if I am willing to read the series.
Carolyn
Cute mystery...fun little read
Kim
Nov 08, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun, light read with a good mystery combined.
Paula
Jul 26, 2014 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick light read for a summer day. By far not the best cozy I've ever read but it was fun for a really light read after a much heavier novel.
This book was a nice light read. I did enjoy the surprise ending.
Julie
Jul 05, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, fun, mystery read.
Elizabeth
A nice bit of fluff. I like the Dimple Kilpatrick series much better.
Karen
Aug 21, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guardian angel helps her charges solve murder mysteries.
Vickie
Oct 08, 2008 Vickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a promising start to a cute cozy series. The main character appears to be the guardian angel in the title. A little murder, a little mystery, a little romance.....perfect little cozy.
Carol
Apr 18, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Angel at Troublesome Creek - 9th May Book 1 1 May 28, 2013 12:38PM
  • Aunt Dimity Goes West  (Aunt Dimity #12)
  • The Telltale Turtle (Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #1)
  • Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)
Mignon Franklin Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
More about Mignon F. Ballard...

Augusta Goodnight (7 books)
  • An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Angel Whispered Danger (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Too Late for Angels (Augusta Goodnight Mysteries, No. 5)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)