Start by marking “Gossamer” as Want to Read:
Gossamer

Gossamer

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  12,174 Ratings  ·  1,495 Reviews
Where do dreams come from? What stealthy nighttime messengers are the guardians of our most deeply hidden hopes and our half-forgotten fears? Drawing on her rich imagination, two-time Newbery winner Lois Lowry confronts these questions and explores the conflicts between the gentle bits and pieces of the past that come to life in dream, and the darker horrors that find ...more
Published April 24th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Gossamer, please sign up.

Lexxy I had to at school. did you like the book?
Lucas Yumul kids may read it but I suggest that if your a parent read it with them since there may be words and terms they won't understand. Lois Lowry is a kid-…morekids may read it but I suggest that if your a parent read it with them since there may be words and terms they won't understand. Lois Lowry is a kid- friendly writer with a big imagination.(less)

Karen
Mar 17, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, fairy tale like book about dreams and where they come from, that is very touching.."
Maury
Dec 17, 2009 Maury rated it it was amazing
First of all, I really love Lois Lowry. That being said, I loved this as much or maybe even more than The Giver, her most famous book. This is the story of little mythic creatures that give us our dreams. I loved the idea of how and why we have dreams and nightmares, and fell in love with the characters in the story. I also loved that she didn't tie up the whole thing with a nice neat bow. . . the ending was satisfying, but like life, unfinished.
Joyce
Mar 15, 2016 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, exquisite. This is such an enchanting book. Yet, it's a quick read, easily just one sitting, and you need some tissues as it'll go right to your heart. I absolutely loved it! It's original, beautifully written, close to a fairy tale and ever so touching unlike anything I have read. Highly recommend this book. In fact, it's going on my favorite list.
Amanda Cook
Dec 16, 2009 Amanda Cook rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, people who appreciate fantasy
This novel was a great departure from the trilogy of Lowry books I had just finished reading (The giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger). It's a fast read, since it's written for preteens/teenagers, but I think adults could appreciate the story and Lowry's writing style, as well. The book tries to answer questions about dreams and their origins and plays with a great narrative style by switching between reality and imagination. The story centers around both the real world of an old woman trying to he ...more
Caroline
Apr 20, 2010 Caroline rated it did not like it
Okay,

This one was truly a child's book. The print was GINORMOUS (aka gigantically enormous. hugantic? hah) boldface and the book was only 144 pages but I struggled to finish this book. Boring as crap. I have an issue swallowing words like 'flutter' and 'shimmer' and 'twirling'when they are being used repeatedly ...oh and the ridiculous names (oldest one, littlest one, fastidous)...

Back to the book review. There are these little fairy like creatures (forgot what they are called) that come into yo
Kirsten
Jul 17, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Littlest One and her teacher, Thin Elderly, are tiny creatures whose job it is to touch beloved objects and then piece the bits of memory and emotion therein into dreams for humans. It is a wonderful vocation, but not without its dangers: there are also the Sinisteeds, terrible creatures that plague people with nightmares. Perhaps most frightening of all, dream-givers like Littlest One and Thin Elderly can become Sinisteeds if they don't do their work carefully.

Littlest One and Thin Elderly are
Harold Ogle
This is an entertaining little book about fairy-like creatures who are responsible for human dreaming, and their rivalry with the Sinisteeds who inflict nightmares on humans. It's also about a broken home with a neglectful mother, an abusive father, and a broken young boy, as well as how love can go a fair way to healing the wounds of parental abuse and neglect.

Lowry uses the device of "benevolent aliens trying to understand humans" with the 'dream-givers' to explain quite a lot of the action in
Rebecca
May 03, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a quiet, poetic book
Susan and Lisa were right! I loved this book. It is a very quiet, whimsical story, but it still packs a punch. Lois Lowry is not famous for nothing. I was intrigued by how much I felt for the main characters, the dream-givers, without ever knowing what they truly looked like. This book has made me think differently about dreams, nightmares, memories, and people's ability to change. And the importance of pets, souvenirs, and talismans (talismen?).
Chris
Mar 07, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Interesting book. My wife loved it - said it was one of her favorites. I am a little less enthusiastic about it. Still, it's a good story with a neat premise (there are imaginary beings that grant people dreams and others than give nightmares and sleeping humans are the proxy for their war). Worth reading if you like any other Lois Lowry book. She's consistently inventive.
Barb Middleton
Oct 08, 2012 Barb Middleton rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
Not your typical tale. Of course, Lois Lowry and the word, typical, don't go hand-in-hand. Original... Great writer... Risk-taker... Those are words I associate with her. Pick your superlative. But typical? No way. This tale has more echoes of surrealism than realism with surprising juxtapositions of dreams and reality.

Littlest is being trained by Fastidious to bestow dreams on humans, and yes, the latter is hard-to-please. Littlest asks too many questions, plays, and is off-task when the two
Shaylece
Dec 17, 2009 Shaylece rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dreamers
What is beyond the world of sleep? Where do our dreams come from? Lois Lowry uses her exquisite imagination to explain one of the most interesting parts of life, and makes it even more mysterious. People of all ages will find this an interesting way to explain dreams. Also, the way the story is worked and connected is wonderful and exciting. This is a good and uplifting story of a not so good start of a life for a child.
Stephanie
Dec 22, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya, 2009
Wonderfull! A little book, simple, but packs a punch. Why can't Lois Lowry's books be just a little longer?
Dawn
Mar 05, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
The dream-givers creep around a dark house in the middle of the night. They are compassionate beings who visit humans at night. They touch objects, gather memories, and return them in the form of happy dreams to those that live in the house they are assigned to. The Sinisteeds,inflict nightmares and sometimes travel in frightening Hordes. Littlest and Thin Elderly care for a lonely old woman and a foster child named John. John has endured an abusive father who forces him to eat dog food after at ...more
Jenny
Jul 25, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I LOVE Lois Lowry! She amazes me with her story telling skills. Again, the story is so simple yet so complex at the same time. In less than 150 pages, she managed to create an entire "imaginary" world and 3 well-developed human characters without losing anything in terms of theme and conflict. Gossamer is a wonderful character, Fastidious annoys me appropriately, and I admire Thin Elderly's patience with Gossamer/Littlest. John is a realistic character, considering what he's gone through, and I ...more
Megan
Mar 08, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th graders
I listened to this one on CD, and the performed did a great job. It would be good for younger readers.

This book is a fictional story about dreams and nightmares. It follows a young gossamer and her teacher as they give pleasant dreams to an older woman and a young boy named John who is staying in her home as a foster child. Although the story is told mainly through the eyes of the young gossamer, the reader is able to follow the struggles and success of all of the characters. It is a great mot
Angela
Jun 18, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok
I did not like this book as much as "The Giver." I think Lowry had a pretty creative idea when she envisioned creatures that give dreams, but the story did not interest me that much. I found myself more interested in the "guardians of the dreams" than the actual humans, and even then I found the names of the guardians somewhat silly and the whole process of touching fragments to give the humans something to dream about ridiculous. My dreams generally have nothing to do with anything lying around ...more
The Reading Countess
May 11, 2016 The Reading Countess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Beautiful tale of how dreams and nightmares visit us. The characters are richly drawn. I'm not sure how I avoided reading this one for so long. Lois Lowry can do no wrong.

First paragraph is truly remarkable and a great mentor for strong leads (setting the scene):

An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance. Somewhere nearby, heavy wings swooped and a young rabbit, captured by sharp talons, shrieked as he was lifted to his doom. Startled, a raccoon looked up with brigh
Tapestrymlp
Jan 26, 2008 Tapestrymlp rated it really liked it
Littlest One is the newest Dream Giver in her heap. Playfull, laughing, and barely visible she lightly touches the handful of things in a little boy's room, crafting dreams to send him each night.

Gossamer is a beautiful story filled with wonder, hope and love. Lowry has done a brilliant job with her writing and every part of the story is perfect and well crafted. This is a fun and quick read that is somehow as dreamy and intangible as the title. It left me smiling and glad to have read it. A pe
DC
I expected a good read... And this did not disappoint.

I've read the first few pages, and I dare say that the fresh experience and plot devices are really pulling me in. Can't wait to get through the entire book.

[I've read and adored [book:Gathering Blue|12936], as well as The Giver (and I've been pining over Messenger, lol). Once I saw this book on sale, I knew I just had to get it!]
Kimberli
Nov 12, 2007 Kimberli rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5th graders
In Gossamer by Lois Lowry, Littlest One creeps in the middle of the night practicing dream-giving on an elderly woman and her sleeping dog. Toby is training to be a dream-giver, which is someone who gathers shreds of memories and gives them back as dreams. Then the elderly woman takes in a foster child who is an eight-year old boy named John. Littlest One now has to take on a great challenge, she must try to help John with his bad dreams. This book is an interesting fantasy that offers a clever ...more
Michelle
Dec 17, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsandteenbooks
This book brings a lot of depth to those little girls who do believe in fairies by giving them a purpose in bringing dreams to people and fighting the dark forces that bring nightmares. Inspiring with a touch of magic that left some up to the imagination (isn't it nice when everything isn't spelled out for you)...

gossamer
Shea
May 23, 2007 Shea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I highly recommend this book to young and old alike. It is a delightful and insightful children's book that will leave you with a feeling of gossamer which is hard to explain...you just have to read it. Though a fantastical perspective on dreaming, it has enough real elements to capture the fascination of multiple kinds of readers.
Tatra
Jan 12, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this book. The title is absolutely perfect for it, simply because it's a light feeling that the book gives off. There are dark tones in the story, but you fall in love with all of the characters and the traces of fancy are just wonderful.
Martina Munoz
Mar 11, 2015 Martina Munoz rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. Really fictional, but great.
I liked the part when New Littlest is introduced and when Littlest One becomes Gossamer.
I think Lois Lowry books are really enjoyable.
It is a great book.
Madeleine Rose
Jan 28, 2015 Madeleine Rose rated it it was amazing
this book is filled with fantasy creatures and cute characters. when i finished reading this book, the ending was one of the sweetest and cutest endings i have ever read. it shows friendship and love. i highly recomend reading this book. i promise you that you wont be disapointed.
Lesley
Jul 14, 2015 Lesley rated it it was amazing
This is just a slip of a book and a very quick read, but Lois Lowry manages to infuse it with weightier material in that deft way she has.
jo
May 07, 2016 jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
This weekend I had a lot of mundane chores to take care of, so for a treat, I downloaded the audiobook of Gossamer. For almost a year now, every time I've gone to the library, I've looked for Gossamer. Every single time, it's been checked out. This is a good thing.

Fuse #8 wrote about Gossamer when it first came out, and she had this to say about Ms. Lowry (to which I'd like to add an emphatic my feelings exactly):
"Lois Lowry is my comfort blanket. When you pick up a Lois Lowry book (and it reall
Cait (Paper Fury)
Lois Lowry is one of my favourite authors – ever. Her style is so simplistic, yet flowing and beautiful, and she can hook you in with the smallest of plot twist or vividly written picture. She’s amazing. Her style is as powerful as ever in GOSSAMER, but in all honesty, this book was not what I expected.

Having a different idea of what the book would be like, I went into it with totally wrote expectations. I had no idea it was going to be about dream-folk and a troubled foster-care-kid. After the
Rebekah Choat
Dec 02, 2015 Rebekah Choat rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Where do dreams come from? Why does a single dream sometimes contain snippets of memories from widely separated events in our life? And what about nightmares – do they develop the same way, or does the source of their malevolence lie elsewhere?

In this fanciful little book, Lois Lowry offers us an imaginative glimpse into the place where dreams are made. Gossamer is the account of the dream-givers assigned to a young boy and his mother and the older lady who is helping them through a difficult ti
Charity
Mar 08, 2011 Charity rated it it was amazing
I read this book a week ago and I have been pondering it almost every day since then. It is a very quick read and an uplifting story. Thank you, Anut Jeanie, for recommending it.:)

I finished this book in the middle of the night (when else do I read, really?) and I felt awash with gratitude for my family and life. I'm glad I took the time to read. This is another story that will stick with me and inform the way I look at the world. I hope that it will keep my perspective kind.

I don't know how Ms.
  • The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
  • Drita, My Homegirl
  • Olivia Kidney
  • Willow Run
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • One-Handed Catch
  • Dexter the Tough
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
  • Listening for Lions
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...

“And you know what, Thin Elderly? Sad parts are important. If I ever get to train a new young dreamgiver, that's one of the things I'll teach: that you must include the sad parts, because they are part of the story, and they have to be part of the dreams.” 11 likes
“Why do some of us turn menacing?' she whispered.” 6 likes