Start by marking “Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)

Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity #14)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Business isn't booming for antiques dealer Abigail Timberlake Washburn. A local rug store is luring away her customers with its rock-bottom prices. Eager to check out the competition, Abby is delighted to find a priceless Persian amid the cut-rate carpets—and shocked when Gwendolyn Spears, the store's beleaguered owner, begs her to take it home! Abby feels more than a litt ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Rug Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Rug Lord

Jaci
This was an airplane book so it fulfilled its purpose. Perhaps Tamar Myers has adult ADD and writes like she talks? (I did chuckle at UpChuck = Northern Charleston, S.C.) "Who, pray tell, are these people? Oh Lordy, they look like Lithuanian acrobats to me; I saw some once on the Ed Sullivan show who dressed just like that. Abby, are you being held hostage by insurgents from the Baltics?" Perhaps I should have started with #1 in the series...
Carole
Abigail (Abby) Timberlake Washburn is at it again, getting involved in a murder and almost getting herself and her mother killed in the process.

Abby stumbles onto a racket where a company is picking up priceless oriental rugs to be cleaned, but people receiving back excellent newly-made imitations instead of their priceless rugs. Abby accidently discovers the exchange when she spills food onto a supposedly priceless rug and tries to clean up her mess so that the rug is not ruined. Being an anti
Drebbles
Abigail Timberlake knows when something is valuable - she runs The Den of Antiquity, an antique store. So she is naturally curious when a local rug store is selling good rugs at rock bottom prices and even more curious when the manager gives her an expensive rug for free. She thinks the manager may be sending her some kind of message but before she can figure out what the message might be the manager is found dead in Charleston Harbor wrapped in a rug. Abby decides to investigate the murder and ...more
Betty
May 06, 2009 Betty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to laugh
I'm not quite sure how to describe this one. Once again, Tamar Myers has tickled my funny bone with her antebellum wit overflowing in this hilarious series. It was truly laugh out loud. The mystery almost played out in the background behind the characters, but on the other hand I found a lot more characterization in this book than earlier ones I've read; the characters grew some in this outing.

Someone is switching priceless oriental rugs with machine copies and no one has been aware until Abby'
As a huge fan of Myers' "Den of Antiquity" series, I was supremely disappointed with this particular book, for a number of reasons.

In comparison to the previous mysteries in this series, I found Death of a Rug Lord to be continually veering off into distraction. Such as the dialogue between the characters, which kept meandering off into what I think the author was trying to attempt at comedy routines. I became lost when Abby and one of the Rob-Bobs found the computer office at Kitty's house and
Mascanlon
Aug 25, 2008 Mascanlon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
The latest in the Den of Antiquity Mysteries by Tamara Myers. A cute and quick read perfect for the beack, crusie deck or airplane. The plot is a clever story and I learned about how rugs are faked in these days of computerized weaving. Just last year we bought a handwoven rug in India for a great price but if we hadn't been traveling with Bengali speaking companions we might too have been unlucky in our purchase. As it turned out we have 2 lovely hand knotted rugs at wonderful prices and as dai ...more
VJ
Gah!!! The editing team, not to mention the author, needs to brush up on the backlist before sending manuscripts to print. Last book, Bob's estranged wife was named Cindy. This book, her name is Melissa.

Mildly entertaining story. Quite interesting that they ended up briefly back in their hometown and didn't visit with but one relative and didn't mention the original Den of Antiquity. Up to this point, the books all seem to claim that shop is still up and running.
Kristina Hoerner
I used to like the humor in this series but I think it has run its course for me. This is the Den Antiquity series where the main character is Abigail Washburn who runs an antique store in Charleston. She seems to always find a dead body in or near an antique. In this case, it is Persian rugs where the real rug and been replaced by a good fake. The Southern jokes and the short jokes (the character is 4'9") no longer seem to play well for me.
Peggy
This is the worst book I've ever read. The only reason I finished it is because it is for a book group. The characters carry on meaningless conversations that have nothing to do with the plot. The story is supposed to have a lot of humor, but I found the attempts at humor flat. The plot is weak. I actually dreaded having to pick up the book and continue reading it.
Barbara
OK...this is not classic literature nor is it really a classic mystery. As usual in the Den of Antiquity Mysteries, it's a mystery with a lot of down and out slap stick. Clever and funny and despite being number 14 in the series, still fresh. I would have given this a 3.75 so rounded up to a 4.

Read the Kindle Edition
Pam
Mystery book. I picked it up at a library book sale. It was OK, nice beach read. I am disappointed to find out that it is #14 in a series. Abigail is the owner of an antique shop. It seems that she gets involved in murders in Charleston, and she somehow solves them before the police do.
Debby
There was too much folksy dialogue and southern cliches in this book. I had trouble following what little plot existed. And, ok, I'm not a regular reader of the series, but is Aunt Nanny a person or an actual goat? Too confusing for my northern language skills, I guess.
Kay
This is possibly one of the worst books I've ever read. And certainly, the worst book that Ms Myers has ever written. Usually, the author's books are light and quick reads. Instead, this cozy read like the author was merely filling pages in order to get it finished quickly.
Mich
Usually have liked abigail and her adventures but this book just left me cold. i grew very tired very quickly of all the little rhyming words and silly little nuances.
wouldnt say its the best in the den of antiquity series
Jocelynn
Jan 27, 2010 Jocelynn is currently reading it
I love the wording and choice of words in this book. T Myers really try to get the readers to what they are reading. I do like this book a great read after a long day. I end up reading a chapter every night :)
Granny
This "Den of Antiquity" series has been fun reading, but this new one was a big snore most of the way through. The middle part of the book was slow as mud.
Lori Mason
Nan
Liked it better in Charlotte. Trying just a little too hard to be part of the community now..
Relay
Ridiculous! But I kept reading because I was like "what...?"
Dana
BORING!!! but of course I had to finish the book
Sandra
Always good for a laugh
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Angela
Angela added it
Jan 17, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Mickie Rousseau
Mickie Rousseau marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Brenda
Brenda is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • Plan Bee (A Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • How to Paint a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery, #5)
  • False Impressions (Stamping Sisters, #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Just Desserts (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #9)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • All That Matters
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
  • Silenced By Syrah (A Wine Lover's Mystery #3)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Den of Antiquity (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Baroque and Desperate (Den of Antiquity, #5)
  • Estate of Mind (Den of Antiquity, #6)
  • A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Splendor in the Glass (Den of Antiquity, #9)
  • Tiles and Tribulations (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #10)
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3) The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)