The Grandmother Principles

The Grandmother Principles

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Combining both the wit and wisdom of the author who is a grandmother of ten, this guide to grandmothering skills covers communication, coping with emergencies and recording family history.
Published April 1st 2000 by Abbeville Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Grandmother Principles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grandmother Principles

Janelle V.
I liked the book and took away many good ideas from it, as well as a comforting sense that being someone's grandmother is doable. I don't agree with some of her views of a grandmother's role, but I think we all take our personal experience and family culture into how we will accomplish the thing. If you want to know what my grandparental role models were like, read Glenway Wescott's The Grandmothers.
Sally
Jan 27, 2009 Sally added it
Shelves: skimmed
The author writes "feminist science fiction" and "gentle communication" stuff. Don't have the foggiest if I'll like it, but she sounds darn intriguing....

Skimmed at library. Over the past 2 generations or so, the idea of "grandmother" has changed. (um, yeah!) I thought it would interest me, but I suppose it's not very relevant right now!
Mitzi Moore
Wonderfully reassuring and informative. As a new grandmother (2 months), I appreciated the advice. Although I did not teach myself to crochet (p 198), I will take away several ideas for enriching our family life.
Stephanie LGW
Interesting advice and ideas. It's geared toward grandmothers, but there are ideas for family histories and gift giving (and general family dispute resolution ideas) that are good for everyone.
Denise
Quick read...had it done in less than two evenings.
George Simons
George Simons marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Maureen Lohndorf
Maureen Lohndorf marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2012
Joe Schmutz
Joe Schmutz marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2010
Nihg Suki
Nihg Suki marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2010
Kevan
Kevan marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2008
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2008
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2008
Abbeville Press
Abbeville Press is currently reading it
May 28, 2008
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2008
Suzette Haden Elgin is an American science fiction author. She founded the Science Fiction Poetry Association, and is considered an important figure in the field of science fiction constructed languages. Elgin is also a linguist; she publishes non-fiction, of which the best-known is the Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense series.

Born in 1936 in Missouri, Elgin attended the University of California,...more
More about Suzette Haden Elgin...
Native Tongue (Native Tongue, #1) The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2) Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3) Twelve Fair Kingdoms