Start by marking “Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story

Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The Song of the Stars, written by best-selling author Sally Lloyd-Jones, is a Christmas book that explores the joy and excitement and celebration in all of creation at the coming of Jesus.
Published September 20th 2011 by Zonderkidz (first published September 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Stars

Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:
The skies shouted it to the seas that thundered it to the waves that roared it to the great white whales that sang it to the starfish in the deep. And tiny sandpipers danced it on shining sands… “It’s time! It’s time!” On one quiet night, creation whispered a secret. Grass and bees, robins and trees all spread the word. Sheep told their young while angels sang the song to the shepherds. Hushed news of a miracle echoed to the ends of the earth. The moment had come. The long-awaited
Michele Morin
Oct 31, 2015 Michele Morin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Time!

Sure, the angels told the shepherds that Jesus had been born, but when John said, “We beheld His glory,” it would seem that there’s an implicit invitation to use our imaginations a bit, and Sally Lloyd-Jones has accepted that invitation! Song of the Stars pictures the occasion of Jesus’ birth as an evening of breathless anticipation and enthusiastic sharing of the news: “It’s time! It’s time!” Everyone from barn owls to great white whales and “every single blade of grass” makes the ann
Vera Godley
Oct 29, 2015 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine if you will, every item in creation anticipating the time when God would send His only Son to the Earth to redeem mankind. Well, that is exactly what Sally Lloyd-Jones has done with her book Song of the Stars. The prose is perfectly suited for this anticipatory story.

. . . .the leaves, that night, rustled with a rumor.
News rang out across the open fields.
A song drifted over the hills.
The wind whispered it softly in the sycamore trees that waved their moonlit branches to the sky.
A barn ow
Jessica
Dec 26, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent. The words are a beautiful way to share the original Christmas story with children, without simply quoting Luke 2 or getting sappy. The pictures are gorgeous, both my children and I thought this was wonderful.
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Since it was first released, Song of the Stars, has been a favorite in our family. We all adore the beautiful illustrations of the creation and creatures as they listen to God and the angels declare that "It's time!".

I especially like how the anticipation builds and builds as the story goes along. I find myself reading it aloud softly at first and then as the big event gets closer and closer my voice rises in volume and intensity. When I look around at our family we all seem to be leaning in to
Becky Sayler
Feb 14, 2014 Becky Sayler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This Christmas story teaches several names of Jesus as various animals - and in fact creation itself - rejoice in the birth of the savior. This story went really well with the advent calendars the kids made in class this year, which we got from a church member's blog: http://www.mygrowinghome.com/2011/12/...
Though this Christmas story is more detailed than "Little One, We Knew You'd Come," it still leaves out a lot of details of the Christmas story. That's fine, you can use "The Jesus Storybook
SarahBeth
Dec 24, 2012 SarahBeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Christmas story. It is a wonderful book to read aloud.
Katie Casey
Nov 13, 2012 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
Great kids' Christmas book!
Katie Krimmel
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Krimmel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book written by Sally Lloyd Jones, which tells the story of the excitement that all life felt with Jesus Christ was born. All different kinds of animals appear in this story from lions, to fish in the sea, to bugs in a meadow. Even the grass and trees join in on the excitement. This is a classic story told in many homes during the holiday season and this book is a great way to show a different perspective of that story to children.

The story is written with a rhyme so it is like the
Glenys Nellist
Jan 27, 2015 Glenys Nellist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read a book by Sally Lloyd Jones that deserves less than a 5 star rating. This portrayal of the birth of Jesus is just beautiful. The simple words, "It's time, it's time," echo through the pages, as the animals of the world realize that something special is happening. Gorgeous illustrations accompany Sally's wonderful text. This needs to be on your Christmas bookshelf.
Eric Black
Jan 13, 2015 Eric Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I really enjoy Lloyd-Jones' use of language and imagery. I also enjoy the work of her illustrators. I especially love the idea that all creation prepared/prepares for the arrival of its Creator.
Joshua D.
Dec 01, 2015 Joshua D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a favorite at our house. Nicely illustrated, beautifully written. "The One who made us has come to be with us!"
Kendra
Jul 10, 2014 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Creation's response to Christ's birth. "The one who made us has come to live among us." Love this one.
Margaret Chind
Jul 22, 2011 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Candice Frederick
I love Sally Lloyd-Jones. She has such a gift for sharing scripture with children in a poetic and artistic form. Using anticipation this story creates a magical setting. I love the words within and I am sure this will become a seasonal favorite.

However I am not in love with the artistry in this one as I find the crackles distracting and unappealing.

This book is a great way to show how the whole world anticipated and showed excitement for the joy of the Christ one to come, from the skies to the
Laura McLoughlin
Lovely illustrations. A different POV from the traditional Christmas story, makes a nice change.
Joy Gerbode
Jan 06, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a phenomenal story ... about the nativity ... told in simple words so children can understand it, but also in an exciting way that made it enjoyable for me. Fantastic kids book ... I can hardly wait to read it to my grandsons.

Read this again to my Sunday School class as we finished up our Christmas season with a lesson about the wise men. While the children were eating their snack (wise men riding camels made of animal crackers, ham slices, oyster crackers, and yellow cheese) I read them
Doug
Dec 26, 2014 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book for the Christmas season!
Susan
Jul 16, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweetest version of Christmas story EVER!!
Aleisa
Feb 12, 2014 Aleisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and simple. Beautifully illustrated.
Gail Welborn
Dec 12, 2011 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story, Hardcover, by Sally Lloyd-Jones, Paintings by Alison Jay, Zonderkidz, 2011, Ages 4 and up, 32 Pages, ISBN-10: 0310722918, $15.99

“The world was about to change forever” with the birth of a baby anticipated by all of God’s created order, “And it almost went unnoticed.” Thus begins this enchanting children’s story of how all God’s creatures and nature itself anticipated Christ’s birth.

“It’s time, it’s time,” rang out…Full Review: http://tinyurl.com/89hrkvw

Sara
Jan 03, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a children’s book, but I was totally captivated by this story. Each page shows and tells about different aspects of our world – the wind, the trees, the animals, the stars – as they whisper to each other, “It’s time! It’s time!” The anticipation builds until at last Jesus arrives and creation celebrates the Light of the World and the Prince of Peace.

Read my complete review here: http://shoopettesbookreviews.blogspot...
Brendan
May 22, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story about the rescuer coming to Earth!!
Angie
All of nature anticipates the arrival of their King, in this gorgeously illustrated story that shows snails and whales, lambs and lions and wild stallions, all watching the heavens for the signs of Christ's birth. Keira, age 5, is captivated by all of the animals. We read it yearly as part of our "12 books of Christmas" tradition, one per night from Dec 13th to the 24th.
Taryn
Dec 14, 2012 Taryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the wonderful Sally Lloyd-Jones, who wrote our favorite "Jesus Storybook Bible: Every story whispers His name."

I think animal-loving kids would ADORE this telling of the earth's creatures and creation anticipating Jesus' birth, but Juni (4) got a little bogged down in the animal names. (If they had been princess names, Juni would have been WAY into it.)
Jessica
Dec 17, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
Another wonderful Christmas book for children. The whole world anticipates the birth of the Savior, as animals in the forest, the sea, the rivers and plains talk about his arrival and go to worship him in the manger. I have hard time reading this one out loud because I, without fail, get choked up at the end. Very beautiful story and illustrations.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful offering from Sally Lloyd-Jones! This time we take a surprising look at how all creation rejoiced at the birth of our Savior. Scripturally accurate and yet creatively presented, she brings a breath of fresh air not only into nurseries, but entire households. I will be sharing this book widely and often.
Jocelyn
Really sweet words and illustrations about Christ's birth. I want to own this one.
Stephanie Joy
"It's time! It's time! At last, he's here!"

This captures all of creation's anticipation leading up to the birth of Jesus and the rejoicing that took place that night he arrived. I love the cute illustrations and all the different animals that joined in celebration. :)
Casey
We read this book nearly every night before bed. My kids have it memorized! Love how it clearly portrays the wonderful and glorious event of Christ's birth that the whole earth had been longing for: "It's time! It's time! At last, he's here!"
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Jacob's Gift
  • Dream Snow
  • Santa Mouse
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Page. You'll find more @ my SUPER blog, my blog, my public facebook page, and my website.

PLUS you can follow me on twitter.

More about Sally Lloyd-Jones...