Start by marking “Kokeshi: Yumi” as Want to Read:
Kokeshi: Yumi

Kokeshi: Yumi (Kokeshi)

Meet Yumi! Clever and ready for adventure, Yumi can’t wait to play with her friends at Kimi’s costume party, and you can help her get ready! Complete with peekaboo flaps, charming die-cuts, and extravagant gatefolds, discovering a whole new world has never been so much fun.
Published March 7th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kokeshi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kokeshi

Jaga
May 27, 2010 Jaga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sophomoric, 日本国
I know almost nothing about present day children books but this one's amazing. Yumi is a doll and through riddles she introduces kids into all things Japanese. I bought it as a gift but feel very much like buying one for myself since stunning artwork makes it an eye candy many adults will appreciate.
Semnebune
Aug 07, 2014 Semnebune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yumi e o fetiţă curajoasă, inteligentă şi rafinată. Îi place să meargă la şcoală, să se distreze şi să rezolve diverse probleme.

Bine aţi venit în lumea ei şi a micuţelor kokeshi – păpuşi din lemn – din Ţara Soarelui-Răsare. Veţi pătrunde într-un univers al dichisului, presărat cu chimonouri, evantaie şi zmeie. Veţi învăţa cuvinte în limba japoneză, veţi face cunoştinţă cu prietenii ei şi chiar o veţi ajuta în tot felul de „misiuni speciale”: cum să-ţi asortezi chimonul, de pildă.

Fiecare pagină d
Marien Ortiz
Aug 19, 2011 Marien Ortiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KAWAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aide Acuna
Jul 17, 2012 Aide Acuna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Main characters: Yumi a young Japanese Kokeshi doll
Setting: In her room, at the store, at a party
Point of View: Yumi's telling the story.

Plot: Yumi is a young Kokeshi Japanese Doll who loves to dress up. In the book we are able to visit her closet and meet her friends. We are able to look at her outfits as well as the food she likes to eat. We even get to tarvel to her friends party in comstumes.
main Ideas: In this book we get to learn about the Japanese culture. We learn about their food and
Jul 05, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc-asian-pacific
Yumi is a Japanese kokeshi doll that takes us on a tour through her world. As we follow her through the book we see Japanese words translated into English along with traditional Japanese cultural items like kimonos, kites, sushi, cherry blossoms, and more. The book would be appropriate for grades k-2 as a superficial introduction to Japanese culture and would require further paired readings to help younger readers develop a more well rounded, no-stereotypical understanding of Japanese culture. T ...more
hannah
Jun 04, 2016 hannah added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Maybe a tad too busy for my taste as an adult, but I would have pored over this for hours as a kid and loved it. Kawaii indeed.
Andromeda
Dec 12, 2014 Andromeda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with the entire series. Very happy, very cute, great introduction of vocabulary. I also read this one in Finnish.
Christine
The books in this Kokeshi series are strange, unique, and my son quite enjoys them.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My daughter and I are crazy for Yumi! Can't wait to read the other books!
Barbara
Kokeshi doll Yumi loves dressing up and going out with her best friend Kimi. Readers will enjoy the book's colorful illustrations and the many choices Yumi and Kimi have as well as the folding and sliding pages and one that is cut in horizontal strips so that it resembles the wind on one side and flying kites on the other. Although this won't appeal to everyone, it certainly will appeal to those who enjoy playing with dolls. The fact that readers will encounter a few Japanese phrases, translated ...more
Carla Vazquez
Jul 16, 2012 Carla Vazquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is geared to the primary grades. It is simple for the kids to read. The book is about a kokeshi doll from Japan who like to dress up. It gives children a chance to see a different culture. The pictures in the book are detailed and may grab the childs interest right away.
Donalyn
Kokeshi doll Yumi enjoys an exciting day with her best friend, Sakumi as they prepare for a costume party. Elaborate, colorful illustrations with flaps, gatefolds, and cutouts invite readers to explore Japanese culture. Includes Japanese vocabulary alongside English.
Klaudia
Aug 29, 2010 Klaudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've recently bought it... for myself and I'm an adult. It was so cute I couldn't stop myself. If I have a bad day all I have to do is look at all these colourful and funny illustration and everything is all right again.
Fives OnTheFly
Nov 28, 2012 Fives OnTheFly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yumi is a wonderfully engaging book with a very cute story line. Reader's follow Yumi along on her day out and help her with a variety of tasks. We all loved in introduction of some primary Japanese words and phrases.
Vim
Nov 04, 2012 Vim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very creative and beautifully thought and published book. This book is simply a work of art. I envy the kids that are able to read this in such a young age. I want to read more books made like this one!
Jing Yang
Mar 20, 2013 Jing Yang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Easy to flip through. Would be a perfect gift for 5-yr old kid. I am happy to encounter this book in Salem, MA and bought it online as a gift
Xenia Feldman
Dec 19, 2013 Xenia Feldman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
What a wonderwul book to read for your daughter !
Lovely story, beautiful illustration!
Edward Sullivan
May 13, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yumi looks forward to playing with friends at Kimi's costume party.
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Tare, tare drăgălaşă!
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Okasam
Okasam rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Thabata
Thabata rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Desiree Dottery
Desiree Dottery marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Jac
Jac rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Ameryn
Ameryn added it
Jul 13, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nopie
Nopie rated it it was amazing
Mara Muru
Mara Muru rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »