Start by marking “Kwaidan” as Want to Read:
Kwaidan

Kwaidan (Kwaïdan)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In 12th century Japan, Lady Orin pines for her warrior lover, Nanko, who has been away in battle. Jealous of her beautiful sister, Lady Akane savagely mutilates Orin's face, beginning a spiral of despair ending in the suicides of both lovers at Lake Amada. Akane becomes the caretaker of the lake, now brimming with a strange power.
Published March 2nd 2004 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Kwaidan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kwaidan

Cait
In which spiritual growth equals "Oh, foolish ladies! Don't you know that there's more to life than having a beautiful face?"

Also, points off for selling a five-year-old to a brothel and having only the blind painter see how beautiful she is on the inside.
Laurie
Mar 21, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is by a husband-wife team, both born in South Korea. It was originally released in French in 3 volumes. Here are the most detailed bios I could find on them. Artist Jung Henin at https://www.festivalscope.com/directo..., and illustrator Jee-yun Thot at http://www.bedetheque.com/auteur-5857.... Thanks Dark Horse for the translation but why doesn't it say anywhere what the original language was? Also the binding on the copy I read was pretty poor.

As for the content I liked the art a lot.
Kirstin
Apr 11, 2010 Kirstin rated it liked it
Recommended to Kirstin by: Thea of Dark Horse
Shelves: own, graphic-novels
Basically this is a Japanese ghost (kwaïdan) story. Two sisters are in love with the same man. The homelier, Akane, scars the pretty one, Orin, with burning oil, who then drowns herself out of what would seem to be preemptive self pity. The guy returns from war, learns she’s dead, and gouges out his eyes on the bank of the lake. The sister, too, eventually ends up at the lake, but we later learn it’s so she can achieve some sort of twisted immortality. Confused yet?

Well, it turns out that after
Laith
Apr 13, 2015 Laith rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
the book was good, the story was deep (at first but then...)
what i didn't like kinda the ending, it was too fast going, and i was thinking it's gonna be something really good like: (super fight etc...)
but it was just so simple happy ending, 3.5 from 5 starts to this quite good book.
it was fun, i did like how does it's starts and then end was fine, but not what i really was thinking it's gonna be.
Tracey
Jul 30, 2014 Tracey rated it really liked it
The story plays out like many fairy tales but with more adult appeal, despite somewhat underdeveloped protagonists and some plot confusion near the ending. The artwork is flat-out gorgeous; it outshines the story, and yet manages to strengthen the writing. Most of the secondary characters were more interesting than the main characters. The story's center has less substance than I would've liked, but the warmth and detail--in both art and story--made me glad I read it.
Holly
Jan 18, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
Really interesting Japanese legend. My only complaint was the size of the pages & individual panels - they were pretty small, so it was hard to see the details in the artwork.
Caroline
Sep 09, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing
ce livre est comme 'Samurai X'. J'aime beaucoup cette histoire mais elle ne continue pas... Jee-Yun doit continuer cette série.
Mel
I bought the original French version of this comic and loved it, but it was only part 2. So I found the English version complete for 1p on amazon and had to buy it. The art is just gorgeous! I really liked this historical ghost story. There are many spirits and other worlds and wronged lovers, and innocent people caught up in the middle of it all. Having read the beginning which explains what happened and why everyone is the way it is it made a lot more sense. Definitely one I'd very highly reco ...more
Radhika
Feb 29, 2008 Radhika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love graphic novels
Beautiful prints on thick and quality paper. Nice art work. This is a keeper on your book shelf if only to admire the images. The story is Japanese and also nice. Kwaidan literally means ghost in Japanese. And this is a ghost-story.
Marissa
Jun 20, 2012 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, feminist
I loved the art style in this book, the well-done horror/ghost story aspects of the overall narrative, and the very cool, strong female main character.
Kristen
Jan 05, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Great Japanese comic book about spirits and love and war. Fantastic read and fairly good graphics.
Steve
Sep 22, 2007 Steve rated it really liked it
just reread this bad boy. so wonderful.
Christopher
Dec 29, 2011 Christopher rated it liked it
A little confusing at times, but decent.
Elvie Mae Parian
Elvie Mae Parian is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Angela Shrum
Angela Shrum marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Felipe Orce
Felipe Orce rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Conan Tan
Conan Tan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Jezzy
Jezzy rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
Emm ☿ Riddle
Emm ☿ Riddle rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Alienne
Alienne rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Rafael Amado
Rafael Amado rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Samuel
Samuel rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Johnny Guerrero
Johnny Guerrero marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Isak Theodorsson
Isak Theodorsson rated it liked it
May 22, 2015