Start by marking “Kwaidan” as Want to Read:
Kwaidan

Kwaidan (Kwaïdan)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 12th century Japan, Lady Orin pines for her warrior lover, Nanko, who has been away in battle. Jealous of her beautiful sister, Lady Akane savagely mutilates Orin's face, beginning a spiral of despair ending in the suicides of both lovers at Lake Amada. Akane becomes the caretaker of the lake, now brimming with a strange power.
Published March 2nd 2004 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Kwaidan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kwaidan

Cait
In which spiritual growth equals "Oh, foolish ladies! Don't you know that there's more to life than having a beautiful face?"

Also, points off for selling a five-year-old to a brothel and having only the blind painter see how beautiful she is on the inside.
Laurie
This book is by a husband-wife team, both born in South Korea. It was originally released in French in 3 volumes. Here are the most detailed bios I could find on them. Artist Jung Henin at https://www.festivalscope.com/directo..., and illustrator Jee-yun Thot at http://www.bedetheque.com/auteur-5857.... Thanks Dark Horse for the translation but why doesn't it say anywhere what the original language was? Also the binding on the copy I read was pretty poor.

As for the content I liked the art a lot.
Kirstin
Apr 11, 2010 Kirstin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kirstin by: Thea of Dark Horse
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
Basically this is a Japanese ghost (kwaïdan) story. Two sisters are in love with the same man. The homelier, Akane, scars the pretty one, Orin, with burning oil, who then drowns herself out of what would seem to be preemptive self pity. The guy returns from war, learns she’s dead, and gouges out his eyes on the bank of the lake. The sister, too, eventually ends up at the lake, but we later learn it’s so she can achieve some sort of twisted immortality. Confused yet?

Well, it turns out that after
Tracey
The story plays out like many fairy tales but with more adult appeal, despite somewhat underdeveloped protagonists and some plot confusion near the ending. The artwork is flat-out gorgeous; it outshines the story, and yet manages to strengthen the writing. Most of the secondary characters were more interesting than the main characters. The story's center has less substance than I would've liked, but the warmth and detail--in both art and story--made me glad I read it.
Holly
Really interesting Japanese legend. My only complaint was the size of the pages & individual panels - they were pretty small, so it was hard to see the details in the artwork.
Mel
I bought the original French version of this comic and loved it, but it was only part 2. So I found the English version complete for 1p on amazon and had to buy it. The art is just gorgeous! I really liked this historical ghost story. There are many spirits and other worlds and wronged lovers, and innocent people caught up in the middle of it all. Having read the beginning which explains what happened and why everyone is the way it is it made a lot more sense. Definitely one I'd very highly reco ...more
Radhika
Feb 29, 2008 Radhika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love graphic novels
Beautiful prints on thick and quality paper. Nice art work. This is a keeper on your book shelf if only to admire the images. The story is Japanese and also nice. Kwaidan literally means ghost in Japanese. And this is a ghost-story.
Marissa
I loved the art style in this book, the well-done horror/ghost story aspects of the overall narrative, and the very cool, strong female main character.
Kristen
Great Japanese comic book about spirits and love and war. Fantastic read and fairly good graphics.
Steve
just reread this bad boy. so wonderful.
Christopher
A little confusing at times, but decent.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014