Start by marking “The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow” as Want to Read:
The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow

The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A Concise Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow.
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Effortless Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effortless Life

David H
This book is largely a collection of Leo Babauta's essays from his blog Zen Habits, which I've started reading recently. It covers most of the key concepts that he's passionate about, like living without fixed goals or plans, reducing your needs, being mindful etc. Highly recommended for fans of his writing or those who are interested in applications of eastern philosophy.
Bistra Ivanova
За щастие този сборник от малки текстчета не бе достатъчно дълъг, че да чувствам, че съвсем съм си загубила времето :-) Всъщност някои от идеите са абсолютно смислени (бъди съзнателен - прецени *сам* в кои неща наистина си струва да влагаш енергията и времето си), но като цяло не мога да приема сериозно автор, който твърди, че смисълът на живота е да му се наслаждаваме :-)) Дори по пирамидата на Маслоу човек има нужда от повече от "храна, подслон, дрехи и връзки", както твърди Лео Бабаута. Или п ...more
Sergei_kalinin
Это очень смешная книга.

"Смешная" не буквально (в ней нет анекдотов и прибауток), а по уровню изложенных в ней идей.

"Смешная" - не означает насмешку над этой книгой и её идеями. Смех - это клинок с двумя гранями; одна из которых - разрушать и обесценивать, другая - чувствовать радость и позитив.

По существу:
Книга искренняя. Она описывает личный опыт автора, и это честно, и это интересно, и это особенно ценно. Это плюс :)

Но это не дневник, т.е. не текст, который пишется только для самого себя,
Cara
I don't read Leo much any more because it seems like he mostly says the same thing over and over. However, I really wanted to read about how to live without goals and still accomplish stuff. I wanted to find out how to work but not be too attached to any outcome. HOW TO!

Unfortunately, he doesn't talk much about how to. He talks about why to, and aspects of a simple life, many of which are oh-so-familiar. Bah. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

This is a decent book, except he's still insisting
Pallavi Sonal
I like Leo Babuta's writing , read the posts on his site zenhabits frequently and loved his book -"The Little Book of contentment". Though the ideas presented in this book feel a little too radical, will surely like to try out a few of them. As with his each piece of writing, there is always something to take away.
Also, his books are concisely written which makes it easy to complete in one reading session. And then you can go back again and again to refer.
Bloodorange
Not much, if you have a high school-level knowledge of buddhism and are prone to reflection every now and then. Also, repetitive (if you know Leo's blog) and virtually impossible to implement if you live in a less clement climate of have a job that you like which requires having contact with people on a regular basis. I liked the bit on giving equal weight to every action, though.
Nick
From the author of Zen Habits, a phenomenally successful blog. You can pay as little or as much as you like for it.

It is similar to his other books and blog posts: it advocates a simplified life. Minimalism, focus, monotasking, decluttering and curation are presented as methods both to achieve what you want in work or projects, and to find happiness in your personal life.

His philosophy is influenced by Zen and Buddhist concepts, but there is no reference to religion. Instead, Zen ideas are appli
Marius
Apr 04, 2014 Marius added it
About an hour of relaxing reading that slightly shifts your perspective about things - and life in general. Totally worth it.
Rachel
An amiably meandering sort of book which is pleasant enough to read, but with a disappointingly aimless feel overall. Had I been left to guess, I would have assumed I was reading the result of a young 20-something's conversion to Buddhism, so I was surprised to learn the author was in fact a man nearing his 40s. Still, a simple message can often be the most profound, and there were certainly enough gentle nudges along the way to feel perfectly content with having contributed towards his financia ...more
Danny Plass
An effortless life? Is that really possible? Leo Babauta advocates letting go of expectations, going with the flow, and doing what you love. Instead of goals, let your values guide you. And perhaps most importantly: appreciate things the way they are.

The book is quite concise. Most chapters are less than two pages. Easy to read.

Definitely a recommended read, if only because the premise is the complete opposite of what everybody seems to accept as "the way to live" nowadays.
Ashley Schmidt
Although I agree with some of the author's principles of simplifying life to make it more effortless and to allow yourself to become more mindful, other parts of the book I found hard to swallow. Particularly when he talked about his own eating habits and parenting methods. I feel very differently than he does in these areas, so it made the book hard for me to complete. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions on these topics, so this book just wasn't for me.
Joshua
Simple principles and simply presented, but with more than a little profundity. I found a lot of overlap with Stoic principles I have been learning about as well. The more I bring the kinds of simplicity Leo advocates into my life, the more I see the value in it. I still struggle with some ideas -- "the quantified self" has actually helped keep me mindful about important things; but perhaps those are crutches I can move past. I think I will revisit this book.
Ted
Oct 30, 2011 Ted rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, ebooks
I read the author's blog Zen Habits, so I rather enjoyed this ebook.

He doesn't get preachy or pushy about anything. My only problem is that he doesn't go into much detail about a few of the topics he brings up.

Recommended for anyone into zen, minimalism or mindfulness.
Jason Dettbarn
Short, quick read. Some good nuggets of wisdom, but it never goes into too much detail. I wouldn't really call it a manual -- more like a manifesto. Heavy on concept, short on actual execution details.
Rian
It's a light read and good reminder of what I aim at. While I probably won't go to the extent that he does, it's good to know that people can still thrive by simplifying their lives.
Kumanan Murugesan
Very nice. A very quick and interesting read. Couldn't agree with all the things that the author mentioned in the book like have no goals.
Kelly Deriemaeker
Bijna in één ruk uitgelezen. Erg inspirerend en boeiend, hoe meer ik lees van Leo Babauta, hoe meer ik fan word.
Kristian Norling
A concise and good read on how to minimize, remove and simplify in order to enjoy life more.
Nike
Hij zegt inspirerende dingen, die man. Meer van dat graag.
Dank aan Lilith voor de tip!
Han Thon
Leo reminds us: life is too short to do things you don't like.
Antoaneta Mitrusheva
Със сигурност ще се връщам към тази книга отново и отново.
Roberto Parada
Biggest take away: Let go of expectations...
Dumitru
simplify your life
Cristi Constantin
Cristi Constantin marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Renae
Renae marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • The Catalyst of Confidence: A Simple and Practical Guide to Understanding Human Potential
  • A Brief Guide to World Domination
  • A Song Called Youth
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • The Grendel's Shadow
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • The Really Hard Problem: Meaning in a Material World
  • The Barefoot Running Book: A Practical Guide to the Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running
  • The Macintosh Way
  • Textual Healing
  • Timepiece (Timepiece #1)
  • Ninja
  • How Societies Remember
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Dead Dwarves Don't Dance
  • The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers, mnmlist.com, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to
More about Leo Babauta...
The Power Of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential Zen to Done Focus: A Simplicity Manifesto in the Age of Distraction The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life The Little Book of Contentment: A Guide to Becoming Happy with Life and Who You Are, While Getting Things Done