Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow” as Want to Read:
The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  338 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A Concise Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow.
Kindle Edition, 57 pages
Published (first published 2011)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Effortless Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effortless Life

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Sergei_kalinin
Это очень смешная книга.

"Смешная" не буквально (в ней нет анекдотов и прибауток), а по уровню изложенных в ней идей.

"Смешная" - не означает насмешку над этой книгой и её идеями. Смех - это клинок с двумя гранями; одна из которых - разрушать и обесценивать, другая - чувствовать радость и позитив.

По существу:
Книга искренняя. Она описывает личный опыт автора, и это честно, и это интересно, и это особенно ценно. Это плюс :)

Но это не дневник, т.е. не текст, который пишется только для самого себя,
...more
Elizabeth Rose
Aug 31, 2015 Elizabeth Rose rated it liked it
The Effortless Life raises some interesting points, but its numerous shortcomings drag it down into mediocrity.
This book covers some basic ideas about minimizing stress in one's life by eliminating unnecessary stressors. Viable suggestions include integrating mindfulness into daily life and working around obstacles instead of cursing them in vain.
The general thesis of the book is an exhortation to simplify, to subtract as much from life as possible until only the essentials remain. Thus, all o
...more
Andrew
Jan 15, 2016 Andrew rated it it was ok
The writing is essentially Westernized fetishism of Buddhism and Taoism stripped of its aesthetics. The points in the book are merely summarized as: reduce your needs; separate essentials (food, clothes, shelter, relationships) from invented (McMansions, fashionable whims, luxury cars, Wall Street careers et al); holds no expectations,; do not deliberately hurt others; be flexible, don't set self up for failure by creating a fantasy of future self (false needs); don't do things you hate (bad adv ...more
Lisa
Feb 21, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite- but there were some interesting tips!
Bistra Ivanova
Feb 03, 2012 Bistra Ivanova rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
За щастие този сборник от малки текстчета не бе достатъчно дълъг, че да чувствам, че съвсем съм си загубила времето :-) Всъщност някои от идеите са абсолютно смислени (бъди съзнателен - прецени *сам* в кои неща наистина си струва да влагаш енергията и времето си), но като цяло не мога да приема сериозно автор, който твърди, че смисълът на живота е да му се наслаждаваме :-)) Дори по пирамидата на Маслоу човек има нужда от повече от "храна, подслон, дрехи и връзки", както твърди Лео Бабаута. Или п ...more
Дмитрий Ерохин
Jul 09, 2016 Дмитрий Ерохин rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Основная идея автора - принятие жизни такой какая она есть. Очень здравая мысль. Очень нужная. Избавившись от иллюзий мы избавимся от ожиданий, что в теории автомагически уберет разочарования из нашей жизни. Это касается окружающей нас действительности, но в первую очередь нас самих. Параллельно идут размышления о том что по-настоящему для жизни нам нужно совсем немного, остальное – надуманне и привитые потребности. А вот дальше автор делает весьма странных ход – “Если мы принимаем жизнь таковой ...more
Cara
Feb 16, 2012 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: life, minimalism, kindle
I don't read Leo much any more because it seems like he mostly says the same thing over and over. However, I really wanted to read about how to live without goals and still accomplish stuff. I wanted to find out how to work but not be too attached to any outcome. HOW TO!

Unfortunately, he doesn't talk much about how to. He talks about why to, and aspects of a simple life, many of which are oh-so-familiar. Bah. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

This is a decent book, except he's still insisting
...more
Nick
Jun 17, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
From the author of Zen Habits, a phenomenally successful blog. You can pay as little or as much as you like for it.

It is similar to his other books and blog posts: it advocates a simplified life. Minimalism, focus, monotasking, decluttering and curation are presented as methods both to achieve what you want in work or projects, and to find happiness in your personal life.

His philosophy is influenced by Zen and Buddhist concepts, but there is no reference to religion. Instead, Zen ideas are appli
...more
Mark Clackum
Nov 30, 2015 Mark Clackum rated it it was amazing
Effortless as in Goaless, but not aimless

Great clarity!
A notion worth considering: that most of our stress & anxiety & lack of free time come from "invented" needs... If we reduce our overhead & commitments down to the essential, then we dramatically reduce our worries & expand our free time. If we go so far as to give up self-imposed goals & simply do what there is to do for the joy of doing it then we still create for the joy of art & are fit from the joy of sports &
...more
Rachel
Jul 20, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
An amiably meandering sort of book which is pleasant enough to read, but with a disappointingly aimless feel overall. Had I been left to guess, I would have assumed I was reading the result of a young 20-something's conversion to Buddhism, so I was surprised to learn the author was in fact a man nearing his 40s. Still, a simple message can often be the most profound, and there were certainly enough gentle nudges along the way to feel perfectly content with having contributed towards his financia ...more
Patricia Groves
Jan 01, 2016 Patricia Groves rated it it was amazing
Another classic from Leo

Confession: I have been a fan of Zen Habits, Leo Babauta's blog, for many years. The Effortless Life perfectly sums up what I am hoping to achieve in 2016 - today is New Year's Day, after all! This concise e-book is an effortless blueprint to guide you towards and effortless life. It discusses home, family, work, commitments and the surprising obstacle to achieving the goal of an effortless life: Goals! It won't take long to read - two cups of tea, sipped slowly - but the
...more
Danny Plass
Jun 15, 2013 Danny Plass rated it really liked it
An effortless life? Is that really possible? Leo Babauta advocates letting go of expectations, going with the flow, and doing what you love. Instead of goals, let your values guide you. And perhaps most importantly: appreciate things the way they are.

The book is quite concise. Most chapters are less than two pages. Easy to read.

Definitely a recommended read, if only because the premise is the complete opposite of what everybody seems to accept as "the way to live" nowadays.
Joshua
Apr 23, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it
Simple principles and simply presented, but with more than a little profundity. I found a lot of overlap with Stoic principles I have been learning about as well. The more I bring the kinds of simplicity Leo advocates into my life, the more I see the value in it. I still struggle with some ideas -- "the quantified self" has actually helped keep me mindful about important things; but perhaps those are crutches I can move past. I think I will revisit this book.
Pallavi Sonal
Oct 13, 2014 Pallavi Sonal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I like Leo Babuta's writing , read the posts on his site zenhabits frequently and loved his book -"The Little Book of contentment". Though the ideas presented in this book feel a little too radical, will surely like to try out a few of them. As with his each piece of writing, there is always something to take away.
Also, his books are concisely written which makes it easy to complete in one reading session. And then you can go back again and again to refer.
Ashley Schmidt
Sep 20, 2013 Ashley Schmidt rated it did not like it
Shelves: selfhelp
Although I agree with some of the author's principles of simplifying life to make it more effortless and to allow yourself to become more mindful, other parts of the book I found hard to swallow. Particularly when he talked about his own eating habits and parenting methods. I feel very differently than he does in these areas, so it made the book hard for me to complete. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions on these topics, so this book just wasn't for me.
Bloodorange
Aug 10, 2014 Bloodorange rated it it was ok
Not much, if you have a high school-level knowledge of buddhism and are prone to reflection every now and then. Also, repetitive (if you know Leo's blog) and virtually impossible to implement if you live in a less clement climate of have a job that you like which requires having contact with people on a regular basis. I liked the bit on giving equal weight to every action, though.
Ted
Oct 23, 2011 Ted rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own
I read the author's blog Zen Habits, so I rather enjoyed this ebook.

He doesn't get preachy or pushy about anything. My only problem is that he doesn't go into much detail about a few of the topics he brings up.

Recommended for anyone into zen, minimalism or mindfulness.
Jason Dettbarn
Mar 07, 2012 Jason Dettbarn rated it liked it
Short, quick read. Some good nuggets of wisdom, but it never goes into too much detail. I wouldn't really call it a manual -- more like a manifesto. Heavy on concept, short on actual execution details.
Roberto Parada
Jun 12, 2013 Roberto Parada rated it really liked it
Biggest take away: Let go of expectations...
Han Thon
Jun 02, 2012 Han Thon rated it liked it
Leo reminds us: life is too short to do things you don't like.
Dumitru
May 16, 2012 Dumitru rated it it was amazing
simplify your life
Danielius Goriunovas
Apr 21, 2015 Danielius Goriunovas rated it it was amazing
Ši knyga buvo nuostabi. Tokia nuostabi, kad pats panorėjau paimti ir ją visą tiesiai perrašyti į Debesylą.

Šimtas balų iš šimto!
Kelly Deriemaeker
Oct 21, 2011 Kelly Deriemaeker rated it really liked it
Bijna in één ruk uitgelezen. Erg inspirerend en boeiend, hoe meer ik lees van Leo Babauta, hoe meer ik fan word.
Kumanan Murugesan
Oct 28, 2011 Kumanan Murugesan rated it it was amazing
Very nice. A very quick and interesting read. Couldn't agree with all the things that the author mentioned in the book like have no goals.
Rosie
May 21, 2016 Rosie rated it liked it
A short book with a few interesting ideas. It is very different to his Zen Habits blog in the style of writing possibly due to the collaborative way it was written.
Marius
Apr 04, 2014 Marius added it
About an hour of relaxing reading that slightly shifts your perspective about things - and life in general. Totally worth it.
Antoaneta Mitrusheva
Oct 21, 2011 Antoaneta Mitrusheva rated it it was amazing
Със сигурност ще се връщам към тази книга отново и отново.
Joel
Feb 03, 2015 Joel rated it it was amazing
excellent manual for life

Thank you Leo for this guide to striving - or not striving. Good advice for people who already have enough but are fighting for more.
Eric
Jun 14, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Short,sweet, and powerful

Immediately actionable steps and lessons to amplify and simplify your life. The perfect book when lifesavers to feel too crazy.
Nike
Nov 12, 2011 Nike rated it really liked it
Hij zegt inspirerende dingen, die man. Meer van dat graag.
Dank aan Lilith voor de tip!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • Living in the Land of Enough
  • Knitting in America
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • The Catalyst of Confidence: A Simple and Practical Guide to Understanding Human Potential
  • 279 Days to Overnight Success: An Unconventional Journey to Full-Time Writing
  • Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend
  • Ninja
  • Not Quite Burned Out, But Crispy Around the Edges: Inspiration, Laughter, and Encouragement for Teachers
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Textual Healing
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • How Societies Remember
  • Red Rover: Inside the Story of Robotic Space Exploration, from Genesis to the Mars Rover Curiosity
  • The Really Hard Problem: Meaning in a Material World
  • The Barefoot Running Book: A Practical Guide to the Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running
  • The Macintosh Way
  • A Song Called Youth
1062192
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers, mnmlist.com, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to
...more
More about Leo Babauta...

Share This Book



“Be a curator of your life. Slowly cut things out until you’re left only with what you love, with what’s necessary, with what makes you happy.” 8 likes
“Don’t rush. Go slowly. Be present.” 1 likes
More quotes…