Start by marking “Novio Boy: A Play” as Want to Read:
Novio Boy: A Play

Novio Boy: A Play

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Ninth-grade Rudy has asked eleventh-grade Patricia out on a date, and to his amazement she has agreed. Now Rudy has to come up with the money, the poise, and the conversation to carry it off. This one-act play, by turns heartwarming and heart-wrenching, follows Rudy from his desperate search for guidance from family and friends through the hilarities of the date itself, al ...more
Published February 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Anthony Chavez
This was a cute little play about a young boy named Rudy who is going to go out on a date with an older girl named Pamela AND EVERYTHING that builds up to that date. All the chisme, oh yeah and this play is written in Spanglish and has a little Spanish glossary of words used in the play, that leads up to the date: Rudy talking to his best friend about it, Rudy trying to get some money for the date, his family's reaction to him dating an older girl, etc. etc. It all culminates at the restaurant S ...more
Tanay
This book is about one boy that are in ninth grade, her name is Gary and he look for a girl, of the eleventh grade and her name is patricia . and Rudy ask a looking for a date , and she say yes , and Rudy is very nervous , what will he say to her , how cant act form her and how he can surprise her. and he invited her to the restaurant while he is trying to romance patricia. the Important think is that he want that she have a excellent and unforgettable day .
Felix
In the book Rudy was a teenage boy in love with a girl named Patricia. Patricia was older than him. He was a freshman and she was a junior. At first he was nervous like some people that see the woman/man they like. Then he starts talking with her and makes good friends with her. Rudy thought it would be good to take her out to on a date but he didn’t have money. Rudy’s uncle Juan gave Rudy money cause he didn’t have money to take her out to eat. His whole family went on the date with him. Rudy’s ...more
Athena Herondale
I read this book for an extracredit project. ONLY because of that did i read that book. It was only about 80 pages and read it in 30 extremly long minutes. Its about a boy named rudy, a 9th grader, going on a date with a girl 2 years older than him. Pointless book. If it wasnt because a need the extracredit, i wouldnt have looked at it.

Sorry to the poeple who like it.
Rafael
This book is about a kid that has a crush on this girl and he finly got a date with her. But his family came to the resteraunt they went to. This is a funny play, when my class actted this out i starting luaghing on the floor. A lot more classes should act out this play.
Juleissy
I think that is a nice book and is about a boy that live this girl that is in the 11 grade .
Mercedes-lynn-mathias-ortiz
I think that this book is so awesome because it talks about how they did the play and when they showed who's turn it was when they were talking in the play. I would love to read this book again because it talks about how this boy takes a girl out that is 2 grades older than him but they don't care because it doesn't matter if they will always love or like each other by getting to know that person. But I want to read it my self because I really want to know if what they are telling me is true and ...more
Melissa
Snapshot:
A charming vignette of a play, set in the Mexican American community in Fresno (if my memory serves). Rudy, a 9th grader, asks out Patricia, a 12th grader, and -- to everyone's surprise -- she says yes. A lot of bumbling and stumbling humor ensues. Again, charming. And good for young actors.

Hook:
Young love, and meddling family. Who can't relate?

Challenges:
Hmm... There is a lot of Spanish. Although there is a glossary, this could present a challenge for certain students, whether non-S
emily jimenez
This book Novio Boy was good. Although it really wasn’t a book. It was a romantic comedy play by Gary Soto. The characters were Patricia (Pat), Mother, Alex, Rudy, Tio Juan, Alicia, Estella, The Old Man, El Gato, and Mama Rosa. Rudy and Alex are best friends. Mother is Rudy’s mom and Estella was mother’s friend. Patricia was Rudy’s date and Alicia was her best friend. Juan and mother were brother and sister, which means that Juan is Rudy’s uncle. The old man is someone that Rudy and Alex give ad ...more
Nikoleta
The Novio Boy A Play is about Rudy and Patricia who are going to go on a date. Although Patricia is 2 years older than Rudy. Everybody around them are giving them advices what to do on the date. Patricia even goes to Rudy's mom to curl her hair,but she doesn't know that. Although Rudy's mom realizes that after they talk a little bit, but she doesn't say anything.
During reading this book I made a text-to-text connection. This book reminds me of all the stories that friends give all these advise
Sharaesof2014

This book was a play between more than 2 people about a boy who has a crush on this girl and is working up a nerve to ask her out. The problem that the boy has is that he is really nervous because the girl is in a higher grade than he is and the girl is being teased for going out with a kid a lower grade.

Text-to-world . the reason why i connected this book to world is because there are people who do go out people in lower grades especially teenagers now in days. I'm pretty sure that a lot of
Wilson
This book is about this boy named Victor who likes this girl named Patricia. So he decides to take the girl to a restaruaut,but he is nervous because he knows thet Patricia is older then him. But he also dosen't have the money to take her to the famous restaruant, so he ask his family,and his friends for money so he can take her to the restaraunt. I liked this book because everything that happens in the book sometimes happen in the real world. I don't understand why the author didn't the author ...more
Andy Lee
My students and I read this play in class as part of a unit on Gary Soto. Actually he was supposed to speak at our school. It was all planned out, everyone was excited and he ended up backing out at the last minute. Everyone including myself thought that that was a classless thing to do. Even before this incident, I wasn't a huge fan of his writing.

Soto merely capitalized on writing down the coming of age stories of Mexican-Americans. He certainly isn't an exemplary Chicano author, but to fair,
Marlene Medina
This play is brief and lighthearted. I enjoyed the cultural statements made about Mexican-American culture, although it does incorporate more of a Chicano style of speaking. At times, even as a Spanish speaker, I found myself a little bit thrown off my some of the verbage of the Spanish that's thrown in there. I'm from Monterey County, somewhat near to Fresno, so I expected Soto's Spanish style to be like mine! They are similar but differ in some ways. I like that there's a glossary at the end f ...more
Jose
Novio boy was the funniest book I read in 6th grade last. The genre was a play and it was realistic fiction. I liked how the author used Spanglish or spanish and english together to make the charcters funny yet realistic. I can relate to this book because Rudy's family was in his business and my family is much like that too! I loved this book because I could read it at my reading level and also because it made me laugh a lot!
Quran
This is a funny book. My class last year for our ELA class put on a play, so did 8th and 7th grade but we think we did the best and we really did. I loved finishing the book beacuse we finally finished it, but we didn't really want to but we had to and when we did we all just kept laughing and laughing. Everybody would say that Alex was their favorite character because he was funny and a true friend to rudy.
Aziza
The book Novio boy is about a boy name ruby. Ruby is in ninth grade and he actually enjoying his ninth grade life. Ruby have so many best friend and he all most just love to make so must girl friend. One of his best friend names is Patricia. So he had asked her to go out with him and in that way his entire friend wants him to go out with her.
Tremain8f
Apr 03, 2008 Tremain8f rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like something like a comedy becuase this book is funny.
Recommended to Tremain8f by: My Ela Teacher Mrs. Graham
This is a stage play about a boy who like this girl who takes advice from his friend to date this girl. Even though his friend don't have any experience dating. They are both in high school but the girl is 2 years older then him. He don't really have any experience with girls. Though he really likes her and she likes him.
Guiying
I like this book because that this book is funny I like how the things happen in the book. When I read this book I always want to know what happen next. I think this is one of my most funny book that I ever read.
Because of this book I start to interest about Gary Soto and his book.
Roodelyne
I like this book because its about a Rudy in other boy name Alex that is talking about a girl that name Patricia in Patricia was talking Rudy with his friend name Alicia they both was about to go in a date but they don't what to talk about when they get on the restaurant.
Jaisha Taveras
This book is about Mexicansd who like eachother they are teenagers and is the guys first date.. he is a freshman in highschool and she is a junior so he is shy and he takes her out. You can find this book in Bin RST. In Ms. Lacy's class.
Scott
Endearing characters make this play's dubiously realistic "date" scene and heteronormativity (including a couple of "unless you want to date a GUY!" jokes) ignorable. I'm using it as a mentor text for a playwriting unit.
Shaeley Santiago
Sep 19, 2012 Shaeley Santiago rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Esmeralda & Maria
Recommended to Shaeley by: Sarai
Funny play about a high school freshman taking a junior girl out on a date. He has to wade through all the advice (good & bad) from his friends and family. I'd like to see this play performed by a group of students!
Evita Garcia
This Is An Intrestin Book Is Really Funny && Its A Play Rudy Is A Boy Where He Dosent Know Anythinq About Girls And Hes Freind Helps Him Out With A Gril That He Has A Crush On Her This Is A Great Book '!!!
Ryan Berry
a very funny play i remeber reading it in the 7th grade and it showed how a typicl Latino family lifestyle probably is and was and makes me look forward to reading more of Gary Soto's works
Karina Davila
I liked the book because it was funny,interesting,and it was a romantic/comedy fiction. It had some good parts and some boring parts but it kept me reading.
Josemaria
It was a great book. It connects mexican and american languages in a very funny way. I loved the book.
Howard
Very cute play that I suspect only southern californians would understand. Quick read and entertaining.
Willie Veal
The play was highly interesting because of the romantic scenes and the hard to get situations.
Novio Boy I liked because its funny and great to read. I loved all the charecters in the book.
International HS ...: Conflict 1 1 Feb 21, 2013 12:02PM
  • First Crossing: Stories About Teen Immigrants
  • Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida
  • Call Me Maria
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  • Crossing the Line (Border Town, #1)
  • The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen
  • Bad Boy: A Memoir
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
  • Finding Miracles
  • Mexican WhiteBoy
Gary Soto, born April 12, 1952, was raised in Fresno, California. He is the author of eleven poetry collections for adults, most notably New and Selected Poems, a 1995 finalist for both the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the National Book Award. His poems have appeared in many literary magazines, including Ploughshares, Michigan Quarterly, Poetry International, and Poetry, which

has honored him w
More about Gary Soto...
Too Many Tamales The Afterlife Buried Onions Accidental Love Baseball in April and Other Stories