Start by marking “Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)

Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  10,521 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas comes a tale of love and magic...

Lucy Marinn is a glass artist living in mystical, beautiful, Friday Harbor, Washington. She is stunned and blindsided by the most bitter kind of betrayal: her fiancé Kevin has left her. His new lover is Lucy’s own sister. Lucy's bitterness over being dumped is multiplied by the fact that
Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 336 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rainshadow Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainshadow Road

Lisa Kay
Edited March 4, 2012 to include my review of the audiobook, narrated by Tanya Eby. See below the . I also wanted to add our RLfoCI “buddy read” tee-shirt montage worn by Sam and Lucy, The Scream, and a picture of the Afterglow Mausoleum (all below).

Friday Harbor, Washington
Lime Kiln Lighthouse
(Credit: Laura Boulton)
Ferry leaving Friday Harbor
 vineyard in area Orca’s blow-front of lighthouse

More wonderful pictures @ FACEBOOK: Friday Harbor

I have a friend who received an ARE of the amazing Ms.
♡Karlyn P♡
Really good! This was NOT what I expected, but Lisa Kleypas sold me in the end. It looks like she can write anything, including contemporary romance with a light touch a magic and fantasy for the imagination.

Rainshadow Road is a story of destined lovers, quite possibly brought together by unseen forces, to find a happiness they never dreamed possible.

Set in the beautiful village town of Friday Harbor, Washington - an island community protected by the rainshadows cast from nearby mountains, giv
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter

As Sam paused, searching for the right phrase, Lucy said softly, "You have to take a leap of faith."

3.5 stars.

Lucy is a glass artist.

After reading the Travis series, I had pretty high expectations in Rainshadow Road. I'm saddened to say that the book couldn't live up to my expectations. Rainshadow Road lacked the magic that I was looking for. Sure, the story is good and the main protagonists are likable. But. The characters couldn't draw me in like Hardy or Jack did.
4 -5 stars – Contemporary Romance

Lisa Kleypas is my favorite author and she’s delivered once again. Rainshadow Road is a poignant, lyrical, and altogether heartwarming read that seamlessly blends themes of self-discovery, family, friendship, romance, and even a slice of magic. And the beautiful, mystical setting makes me eager to visit the Pacific Northwest and San Juan Islands.

This speaks to some essential questions of life and love:

How do you learn to trust and risk opening your heart to lo
Taryn at My Secret Romance
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
4-4.5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

WARNING: "Thesis" ahead! LOL

‘“Do you think it will make good wine?”

“Probably not,” he said, and laughed.

“Then why have you gone to so much trouble?”

“Because you never know. The grapes might turn out to reveal some attributes of the wine that you never expected. Something that expresses this place more perfectly than anything you could have planned. You have to…”

As Sam paused, searching for the right phrase, Lucy said softly, “You have
…”The problem with chasing after happiness is that it wasn’t a destination you could reach. It was something that happened along the way.”

Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite authors and I was delighted to win a copy of Rainshadow Road, the second installment in her Friday Harbor Series.

There are many elements that I loved about this book. The story flows well and is filled to the brim with dialog. I found myself enjoying the beauty of its lyrical prose. The magical realism that shadows the na
I guess you never know how much you adore something until it's gone. Well, that's what happened to me with LK books. I always adored her reads, but it's been ages since I read one new book from her. I am ashamed to admit it, but I really do have a terrible memory and I started forgetting why I loved this author so much, so you all can imagine how good it was for me to be able to remember so again. AMAZING READ! Nice to feel this way again after so long, I guess I have been kinda lost when it co ...more

For Lucy Marinn, playing second fiddle to her younger sister Alice is nothing new. Ever since childhood when Alice contracted meningitis and nearly died, their parents have always favoured Alice. So it should have come as no surprise that Lucy’s fiancé favours Alice as well. Enough to dump Lucy and take up with her sister.

Born and raised on San Juan Island, Sam is a winemaker and grape-grower and the middle Nolan brother. When their sister was killed in a car accident, Sam along with h
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Welcome back to Friday Harbor! As an avid Lisa Kleypas reader, this book was at the top of my must-have list for quite awhile. Kleypas has a way to sneaking into one’s heart and settling in there with her words and characters. Rainshadow Road is no exception.

In this book, Kleypas takes on another Nolan brother, Sam who is known as the geeky brother. Sam owns the local vineyard in San Juan Island and is the care-free no-strings-attached kind of man.

For some, he’s the b
Liz* Fashionably Late
2.75 Stars
I do not usually read Woman's Fiction but after reading Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor a few days ago I felt in the mood for something sweet and uncomplicated.

Two things happened while reading this book:
First, I realized it was magical realism. The first book says nothing about it so I thought this was plain realistic. You can imagine my reaction when weird abracadabra shit happened…

The second thing is, I got the feeling the author was not sure what kind of book she wanted to write so
Mimi Smith
ETA, changing the rating to 4 stars. It really was a well written book, and my original rating was largely due to high expectations and comparison to LK's other books

When Lucy Marinn was seven years old, three things happened: Her little sister Alice got sick, she was assigned her first science fair project, and she found out that magic existed.

And these three things marked very important developments in her life. Her sister Alice did recover, but was continually spoiled and treated preferential
3.5 stars. This is definitely not as good or compelling as Kleypas's other series such as the Wallflowers, the Hathaways, or the Travises. However, it still has that pull and well written format that defines Lisa Kleypas's books. I was disappointed with the first in the Friday Harbor series, disappointed in that it was not a typical Lisa Kleypas book. Rainshadow Road is better than Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, but it won't knock you over with amazement. The magical realism element was not par ...more
Just yes. Read and enjoy.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I absolutely loved this book! Once I started reading, I just couldn’t put it down. It has everything I have come to expect from my favourite author; everything that makes her star shine bright amongst the constellation of other romance writers.

Ms Kleypas has that innate ability to draw me right into her stories with her lyrical and imaginative writing. Her vivid images appeal to the senses on every level:

The clouds lowered, smothering the vestigial layer of daylight. In the distance a thunderhe
Oh....what a treat this book is! After a year long break, Lisa Kleypas comes out strong with this newest installment in her Friday Harbor series. This long awaited book was worth the wait, provided hours of entertainment, and has me practically salivating for the next book in the series!

The Friday Harbor series started with Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor. It began the story of the Nolan family (three boys and their sister). The first book tells us the story of Mark Nolan. Rainshadow Road tells t
Rainshadow Road was a good, sweet read with characters I had to grow to like, at least the heroine. Sam, the hero, was troubled and had a commitment phobia, but his geekiness and hotness were very attractive. Lucy on the other hand wasn't warm or strong, she did grow on me. I really didn't like her family, yet I felt Lisa Kleypas wanted us too. She wrote them all with a lot of faults, mom, dad, and especially sister. I felt she was trying to justify their treatment of Lucy, which basically was n ...more
Jenny E
**2.5** = It was "okay"

This is a really hard review to write, because this is a LISA KLEYPAS BOOK, and I was disappointed darn it...

It didn't even seem like I was reading a LK book at first. It just *read* really different than her other books for some reason - sort of impersonal and stuffy - I can't really explain it, but it was too easy to put down. Had it been any other author, I might have just put it down permanently, but LK is my all-time favorite author and so I stuck with it.

I'm not s
2.5 dissapointing stars

I'm feeling generous today so I'm rounding up to three stars.

This is the worst Lisa Kleypas book I've read to date.

What didn't work for me

1.The romance: I felt like it started around chapter 15 (and the book has 21 chapters) and what I got even then wasn't satisfying enough. Lukewarm at best, except maybe for the last couple of chapters that were quite good, but too little too late.

2. The magic: It's not a secret I don't like magical/paranormal elements in my contemporari
I find it fascinating that Lisa Kleypas has finally written a book about magic, when that is exactly what her writing is; pure unadulterated magic. I didn’t want it to end!

In Rainshadow Road, Lisa takes us back to the beautiful Friday Harbor, which I guarantee you will want to visit when you begin reading this series. We meet Lucy Marinn a glass artist who has a magical gift and connection with her glass. She is getting dumped by her live in boyfriend of two years. He’s leaving her for her littl
Aly is so frigging bored
This book is amazing, Lisa Kleypas at her best. I'll be eternally grateful to my friend Madu for recommending me one of her books years ago. Whenever I read a book of Lisa's I get sucked in and forget about the outer world, I get so immersed in the story and the characters that every time I am amazed when someone interrupts me. I don't have enough words of praise for this book so I'll stop now :))

Favorite quotes:
“Do you need to … calm down?” she asked delicately.
Sam shook his head, rueful amusem
Nikki Wilde
It started off with a little magic. It goes through Lucy's childhood and why she and her sister are the way they are. I was so annoyed by Alice that I was cringing all through their childhood. Do parents really act like that? Then, I think, of course they do.

The whole story felt a little depressing to me. Even when Lucy was with Kevin in the beginning she seemed to be ... well, depressed. It was a little hard to read. Then she meets Sam in a very interesting and different way. I felt like it was
Notes: I received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) or this book. Some of the quotes I used may change by the final version.

'She'd lost her home, her boyfriend, and her sister in one afternoon.'

They say that how you handle yourself in your darkest moments defines you. Lucy had just had her boyfriend, make that former boyfriend, tell her things were over. He had a lovely speech all ready, and then at the end, he oh so delicately (Not!), told her things might get a little awkward because he'd been
The First Friday harbor book was far to short - I hope this one is longer and more up to Kleypas's usual standard. Otherwise, why wouldn't she have just release them as a collection of short stories? Large font and oversized margins can't fool me!

UPDATE: Like the first book it felt too short but slightly better than the first. I felt like not enough was going on in the plot besides the romance between Lucy and Sam. The time frame covered was pretty short, and there wasn't a lot going on in their
Susan Mallery
Wow, Lisa Kleypas did it again! I really loved RAINSHADOW ROAD, a follow-up to Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, and I'm looking forward to the third book in the series, Dream Lake. Romantic, atmospheric, and magical!
Lady Heather
I liked Sam in the first book Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas, but I LOVED him in Rainshadow Road!
Lucy is just AMAZING! Another GREAT female lead from Ms. Kleypas!
Loved the little bit of 'magic' in this story.
EAGERLY ANTICIPATING the next book in the series... too bad it's only being released in August :(
Fifteen pages in - My heart ached and went out for Lucy. The more I read the more I thought "That poor girl". But the end of that fifteen pages, the good that came out of the bad, made me smile.

I can understand Lucy's rapt attention in the glassblowers. My dad was friends with people in the Globe factory. They blew those glass balls that people put out in their front yards in pestals. Lisa did a wonderful job of describing that! Her research on that was spot on!

30 pages in - I am cackling here.
*4.5 Stars*

This was an easy fun story until the emotions took over. And that made it even better! I adore stories like this, where the changes come from within and there is no push or coercion. Sam and Lucy were so good together. It was great that there was so much more to their relationship than the physical and that they became friends as well as lovers. Reading this book made me feel good and left me feeling good when I was finished - I love that!
Willow Brook
I miss Kleypas' historicals, but am enjoying these Friday Harbor books. Rainshadow Road is second in a family series about middle brother Sam who meets glass artist Lucy at an extremely vulnerable time in her life. She has just been dumped by her narcissistic boyfriend who has been cheating on her with her sister, Alice. Kleypas does a great job of making you feel Lucy's anguish,,fury, shame and sense of helplessness. There is a long established history of her parents excusing and rescuing Alice ...more
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Suddenly You
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Sunrise Point (Virgin River, #19)
  • One Reckless Summer (Destiny, #1)
  • About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Come Fly With Me (Alaskan Nights, #2)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)
  • Trouble Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #3)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

Friday Harbor (5 books)
  • Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1)
  • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
  • Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)
  • Lightning Bay (Friday Harbor, #5)
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)

“Without a doubt... the worst part of being a single woman was having to take care of your own car.” 36 likes
“Friends are the support bras of life.” 24 likes