Start by marking “America: The Last Best Hope (Volume III): From the Collapse of Communism to the Rise of Radical Islam” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
America began to breathe easy at the close of the Cold War and loosened its grip on the fear of nuclear confrontation for the first time since World War Two. Peace was palpable, but in retrospect the years between 1988 and 2008 were as rocky as they were uncertain. Turbulence, not tranquility, marked the turn of the century: the war on drugs, race riots, values debates, de ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Don Weidinger
Nov 07, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it
a century turns new fears by William J Bennett: Reagan remember history to learn from, 10M less drugs by 1990, tension as ussr dissolved and China put down in Square Ortega Eastern Europe Panama, Cheney with Powell in desert storm, Iraq with oil well fires dumping oil wmd on Kurds 1K burned, 12 year run with Reagan Bush, Clinton Waco 80 travelgate Bush assassination attempt Somalia withdrawal extramarital affairs Foster ended welfare where smoke fire perjury obstruction of justice rule of law, P ...more
Heidi
Nov 26, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I really enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. First, many of the things that Bennett talks about I remember, the coming down of the Berlin Wall, Desert Storm, election nastiness, and the war on terror. He does provide details that I did not know however changing how I see some of these events. His insider status allows him to discuss intelligently the ups and downs of the last twenty years. I appreciated the fact that Bennett, in the footnotes, tells the reader of his own involvement i ...more
Tim
Nov 04, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Looking back on my years as an undergrad, I often regret not taking more history courses. Actually, not more history courses, any history courses. I took U.S. History I & U.S. History II for college credit my senior year of high school. This was great for me in high school as it allowed me to receive college credit for taking classes in my favorite subject, but the drawback was that I had finished all of my college history requirements before even setting foot on campus.

These days I indulge
Andrew Toy
Jan 30, 2013 Andrew Toy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book, the shortest of the trilogy, luckily only oversaw three presidents (Bush, Clinton, W. Bush), thus it left a lot more room for the events that helped shaped America, such as the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, the Clinton scandals, and 9/11.

Bennett is surprisingly bipartisan in his careful narration of America’s last two decades. That to say, even Democrats who oppose Bennett can rest at ease and enjoy this walk through memory lane.

The books offer frequent antidotes throughout, s
Barbara
Jun 21, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and informative, I loved this account of U.S. history from the election of George H.W. Bush to the election of Barack Obama. The style of writing made this book delightful to read, and William Bennett always seems fair and honest in his writing, even though he does have definite right wing, Republican political views. In fairness, I tend to agree with his viewpoints much of the time, so someone who does not might not view him as being evenhanded like I do. He always indicates things ...more
Karyn
Nov 22, 2011 Karyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was a great read about the history of the past 25 years of our country. I think it was so interesting because it is stuff I remember happening, but sinceI was young I didn't really understand the how's and why's of it all. I really enjoyed Bennett's writing style. Never knew I would enjoy history so much. Honestly, it is amazing how much history repeats itself.
Love
Nov 25, 2012 Love rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy to read history of America since the end of the Cold War. The language and structure is such that it's probably aimed at high school students, while still being much more interesting than any typical textbook.
Gregg
Aug 15, 2012 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a great book that will give you American history from 1989 up to Barack Obama's election, it will give you great insight as to how we ended up where we currently are as nation.
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Stephen Sprules
Stephen Sprules marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Julia Gray
Julia Gray rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Laura Connor
Laura Connor marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Edgar
Edgar marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Lisa Copeland
Lisa Copeland rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Rebecca Kosten
Rebecca Kosten marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Jonathan Mecham
Jonathan Mecham marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Jamie
Jamie added it
Apr 17, 2016
V. Jaganmohan
V. Jaganmohan rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Ben Denison
Ben Denison marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Tracy Hagan
Tracy Hagan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Chainsaw
Chainsaw rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Carl Daniel
Carl Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
MusingMom Kris
MusingMom Kris marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...