Start by marking “Miss New York Has Everything” as Want to Read:
Miss New York Has Everything

Miss New York Has Everything

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Her aunt was a nun who popped pills and did time in Narcotics Anonymous. Her father grew up during the Depression, believed he'd be the next Frank Sinatra, and ended up working in the mills. His daughter, Lori Jakiela, spent her suburban Pittsburgh childhood watching Marlo Thomas in That Girl and dreaming of New York City.Instead, she got bad talent shows, a Junior Miss co ...more
Published January 23rd 2006 by 5 Spot

To ask other readers questions about Miss New York Has Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss New York Has Everything

Angie
May 16, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
The ending is expectedly dissatisfying, but overall an entertaining read, particularly if you're from the Trafford and/or Pittsburgh area of the world. Lori Jakiela's prose is delightfully snarky, depicting the many misadventures and harships of flight attendant work and the comical-yet-painful experiences she has endured in the air. As her love of New York City leads to her ultimate apprieciation for small-town Pennsylvania, she decides that it's the "little things" that make our lives worth li ...more
Stephen V.
Oct 02, 2012 Stephen V. rated it really liked it
I adored this book, particularly the latter half. I'll ding it slightly because its abundance of pop culture references from the 70's will likely distance some readers, and because a portion of my adoration stems from the story taking place largely in Pittsburgh, near where I grew up. The in references were delicious.

The prose is simple, the themes complex, the characters wonderfully drawn. Ms. Jakiela is a fine writer and this is a book that will entertain most everyone and deeply move many.
Christopher Carrolli
Sep 26, 2013 Christopher Carrolli rated it it was amazing
Her father, the loveable dreamer, comically grumbles and skeptically refers to most people as cockroaches; her mother, the nurse who stockpiles medication in the event of an emergency, and her father’s sister, a pill-popping nun, who eventually locates the family stash; all are part of Jakiela’s colorfully comic cast of familiar characters in her first memoir, “Miss New York Has Everything.”
Jakiela takes us from her early childhood memories, through her pre-teens, and into the awkward adolescent
Jeanette
Jan 08, 2008 Jeanette rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Bad Bad Bad. This should have never been written. I picked it up at the library after doing a search on books about flight attendants. on the cover is a plane, luggage and a flight attendant. this book is so not about that. the first 73 pages arent even worth reading. they are about the author's parents and the family is soooooooooo boring. theres nothing interesting or different about the family.

the next chapters are ok, but still, nothing out of the norm.

the freaking author doesnt even start
Heather Poole
Mar 04, 2012 Heather Poole rated it really liked it
Only a flight attendant knows an international layover doesn’t equate to happiness. And only an ex flight attendant who is now an author can make “flying international” sound truly miserable. Published in 2006, Miss New York Has Everything proves not a lot has changed as far as flying is concerned. This book starts off slow, but quickly picks up as soon as Lori Jakiela moves to New York and begins her flying career. But that doesn’t happen until halfway through the book. For that I give it 4 sta ...more
Bethany Andrews
Sep 01, 2007 Bethany Andrews rated it really liked it
This book is laugh out loud funny. Lori Jakiela has written one of the funniest and most real memoirs I've read...and I'm a memoir junky.

Growing up, Jakiela had dreams of being a writer..and being glamourous..but as is usually the case, things didn't turn out quite that way for her. With her twenties behind her, she answers an employment ad in the paper and becomes a flight attendent. The ad promises her everything she wants but neglects to tell her the bitter truth: that she'll be tired and ex
Karen
Jan 27, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I have to say the first three chapters did nothing for me. As a matter of fact, I put it down thinking this is just kind of tragic and sad. Then after a week, I picked it up again and read it in a couple of afternoons. Each chapter could be a stand alone magazine article, but all the chapters arch together to tell her life story - so far. Starting with chapter 4, the pace picks up and she had me hooked. When she blames Marlo Thomas or better, That Girl, for her dream that her life would be perfe ...more
Patricia
Aug 31, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
A fun memoir based on her years as a flight attendant. She shares many of humorous incidents, some were expansions of poems in her collection, The Mill Hunks Daughter
Bonnie
Mar 13, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
This book was required reading for a class I'm taking: Creative Non-Fiction. I've enjoyed reading it. It would be a good beach read and there are some good stories and laughs in the book. Some seem to be stream of consciousness at times and some are very heartwarming and some are just sad but mostly it's about her life, her parents, who were good people with dreams that didn't turn out the way they thought they would and her own dreams of being a writer and living in New York and how real life i ...more
Ann M
Jul 23, 2016 Ann M added it
Good laughs and a bunch of pop culture references are intertwined for an entertaining read.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Entertaining memoir about a woman who grew up in the 70s and became a flight attendant
NATUI
Nov 07, 2010 NATUI added it
Apparently the time between purchase and reading was long enough for my moron side to come out. I didn't realize it was a "memoir" until halfway through the book. Coming from an airline family myself, I thought I would relate more, but no. The book was an okay read, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were from an airline family and could appreciate the vignettes. I didn't quite get the point of the book. It just kind of rambled on, just like this review.
Kaity
Oct 12, 2010 Kaity rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-books
I found this book for a dollar at the thrift store. The title sounded interesting so I bought it. I thought the premise was good but her writing style failed. She was all over the place with her stories and it was written very randomly. I didn't feel for her at all, partly due to the fact that she would start a story then switch to another story halfway through the first. I won't be recommending this book to anyone.
Nicole
Apr 19, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, memoir
By the time you finish reading Miss New York Has Everything, you will wish you were Lori Jakiela's friend, while feeling like you already are.

Lori's story is endearing, relatable, at times funny, at times sad.

I've read quite a few memoir's this year, but there was something particularly touching and special about this one.

Miss New York deserves everything!
Lil Harris
Aug 14, 2008 Lil Harris rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim at Barnes and Noble from the sale table. It was a great find! I laughed out loud quite a bit. She was raised in the '80s and shares all kinds of anecdotes about her family (road trips, Sean Cassidy! etc). She's a real person who reveals that in her writing. I loved the book and loved her!
Joy
Sep 12, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
This book was a fast read, somewhat funny, but not really what I expected. This story is a compilation of short stories that go in chronological order. I thought it would be more like a cohesive memoir. Not sure what I got out of reading this....
John
Aug 25, 2007 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: bio-and-memoir
This one struck me as being almost smack in-between "awful" and "outstanding"; well-written, with a good premise that things don't turn out the way one might hope, but still be okay.
Karen
Sep 28, 2008 Karen rated it did not like it
I could not find a single point in this work of nonfiction. I think the boys chose it for me because of the title. I appreciate the thought they put into the gift.
Bethany Tedesco
Jun 09, 2008 Bethany Tedesco rated it liked it
I finally finished it. And I thought at first i wasn't going to make it throught the book! It did get better towards the middle. I just wasn't lovin it!
Sunshine
Jun 05, 2008 Sunshine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I found it for $1.50 at Albertsons of all places, and I thought the cover looked interesting. It is a memoir and hilarious...
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah added it
Entertaining but not particularly thought-provoking. Light and fluffy without being overly pretentious (a tough trick).
Martha
May 15, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this - also had the chance to meet the author, as she's a local Pittsburgh'r.
Therese
Jul 07, 2010 Therese rated it it was ok
Some funny parts. Not as hilarious ad the cover claims. Glad I didn't buy it.
Jen
Aug 10, 2011 Jen rated it did not like it
Hated it -- couldnt' get very far at all. didn't hold my interest.
Brian
Dec 22, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, entertaining, insightful ans sweet. Oh, and funny.
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
It was a little slow but did have a couple of funny parts.
Phyllis Geistlinger
Phyllis Geistlinger marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Alekhyaguptha
Alekhyaguptha marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Aritro
Aritro marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • You Are a Miserable Excuse for a Hero!: Book One in the Just Make a Choice! Series
  • Social Disease