Homegirls and Handgrenades

Homegirls and Handgrenades

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a style that is hers alone, Sonia Sanchez brings politics and poetry together as she passionately relates scenes from the lives of poor blacks. Sanchez is a remarkable writer . . . this is s book in which the whole adds up to far more than the parts.
Published October 1st 1997 by Thunder's Mouth Press (first published 1984)

Steven
This seemed to me an uneven collection of poems and short stories. Sanchez is, in my opinion, at her best when she lets loose her anger and passion in free-flowing political poetry such as "Reflections After the June 12th March for Disarmament," or occasionally when she constructs some of her elegant haikus (e.g., "let me wear the day/well so when it reaches you/you will enjoy it"). I found most of her other poems and her short stories to be excessively trite and her colloquialisms overly precio...more
Aichlee
Dec 28, 2007 Aichlee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, anyone.
Shelves: poetry, favorites
my favorite book by sonia. in fact, this is my favorite book of all time. this is where i first discovered the prose poem. the first poem i ever read by sonia, "norma," was published in this collection. ah! makes me excited just thinking about it.
Danielle
Enjoying this book of poetry, but not as much as Morning Haiku
Tech
How apropos: the edition of this book I picked up at the Boston Public Library is from Thunder's Mouth Press!

Ms. Sanchez is nothing if not versatile. And her poetry, for an uneducated fool like me, is extremely accessible. Her work in this edition takes the form of poetry, haiku, letters, and short essays; her subject matter ranges from love to motherhood to social justice to old friends passed away; and each line sears and crackles with so much poignancy and humor that I was constantly sighing...more
Marthe
"let me wear the day
well so when it reaches you
you will enjoy it."

My favorite! Strong, heroic, and so deeply moving. The poems: from haiku to fairly traditional free verse to longish story-like poems, are devastating. Drugs and loyalty, politics and love, spoken of in a way that few books do. Read it; cherish it. Make it a part of you.
Shila
I love the way Sonia is with her poetry. She is bold and she hasn't forgotten what it means to be of African descent living in America. America trys to forget and repress the feelings, but no one can hide from the truth. The story will be told through people like you, me and Sonia. This book is excellent.
Mike

She paints a realistic picture of the situations that some of face most of the time.
I truly loved the After saturday comes Sunday story. I was so embedded into the story I felt concern for the twin babies when they lit up a cigarette.
Rowena
I didn't like this book as much as I liked Shake Loose my Skin but I loved the short stories she included in this book. They were definitely very poignant.
RK Byers
"After Saturday Night Comes Sunday" was shocking. if being on dope makes you not even wanna bone Sonia Sanchez, you can bet your ass i'd never touch the stuff!
Gabriella Lott
She's amazingly in tune with her time and surroundings. I felt a part of every poem in this collection, and can't wait to read more by her!
Bianca
Dec 12, 2008 Bianca added it
She does drop bombs.
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Camelia
Camelia marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Gabrielle Blockton
Gabrielle Blockton marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
MARY Brazeau
MARY Brazeau marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Liberty
Liberty marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
likewildflowers
likewildflowers marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Quest Jones
Quest Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Keishua
Keishua marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
K.m.n.
K.m.n. marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Mary Mccary
Mary Mccary marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Shantelle
Shantelle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • The Black Notebooks: An Interior Journey
  • The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • Daughter
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
  • Unbought And Unbossed
  • Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Suns: Stories
  • Plum Bun: A Novel without a Moral
Sonia Sanchez was born Wilsonia Benita Driver on September 9, 1934, in Birmingham, Alabama. After her mother died in childbirth a year later, Sanchez lived with her paternal grandmother and other relatives for several years. In 1943, she moved to Harlem with her sister to live with their father and his third wife.

She earned a B.A. in political science from Hunter College in 1955. She also did pos...more
More about Sonia Sanchez...
Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems Like the Singing Coming Off the Drums: Love Poems Does Your House Have Lions? Wounded in the House of A Friend Morning Haiku