Start by marking “A Common Life: The Wedding Story” as Want to Read:
A Common Life: The Wedding Story

A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years #6)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,881 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
Laughter and wedding bells ring as Jan Karon takes her millions of fans back in time to the most cherished event in Mitford! Mitford's Lord's Chapel seats barely two hundred souls, yet millions of Jan Karon's fans will be there for the most joyful event in years: the wedding of Father Tim Kavanagh and Cynthia Coppersmith. Here at last is A Common Life, and the long-awaited ...more
Published April 9th 2001 by Viking Adult (first published 2001)

Hannah
Jun 12, 2009 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a long-time fan of Karon, I must say I was greatly dissapointed in A Common Life and embarrassed that I purchased it before reading more reviews. I would have certainly checked it out at the library and been equally dissapointed but $... dollars richer.
I feel cheated as a reader and a fan because it seems as though Karon took advantage of her fan base. This magazine-length story is marketed to "appear" like all her other books, while a quick flick through the pages indicates larger fonts and
Jocelyn
Jun 27, 2011 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-owned
I really liked the part where got to experience the other character's ponts-of-view. Especially Cynthia and Dooly's. This was a great little addition to the series, and it only took me a day to get through it. I'm reading through the series for the second or 3rd time and read this book in between the second and third books even though it was written far later in the series. It fit very well.
Ali
Dec 24, 2010 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I said I needed an antidote to the gritty reality of my last read. This certainly fitted the bill.

Although the 6th in the Mitford Years series - this story is chronologicaly out of time. It is the story of Father Tim and Cynthia's marriage. Father Tim 62 years old, marrying for the first time, his neighbour, children's writer and illustrator Cynthia Coppersmith. We see Timothy contemplating his marriage, thinking about his feelings for Cynthia as composes a letter, and we see what the marr
Julie
As soon as I realized that the "sixth book the Mitford series" was just about a wedding that happened in an earlier book, I took it back to the library. It may seem silly, but I felt cheated. I wanted to know what happens after the fifth book leaves off, not more about something that happened books ago. I'm officially finished with the Mitford series.
Piepie Beuttel
I don't understand why people have so much of an issue with Jan Karon going back in time with book #6 and giving us the story behind the wedding of Father Tim and Cynthia. For me, this rewinding of time was not a problem. I loved seeing various Mitfordians as they remembered sweethearts who they had loved...and in some cases, lost.

One of my favorite parts is when a lovestruck Father Tim sends his fiancee a letter...by way of his stubborn dog...and as a result we see Cynthia, usually so bubbly a
Janice
May 07, 2008 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Common Life is not just a wedding story. It's also an intimate portrait of the unfolding love between Cynthia and the shy Father Tim, complete with fears and hesitations, professions of commitment, and Barnabas the dog delivering love letters. But there's nothing heavy-handed here. The tensions don't run any higher than wondering if Cynthia will make it to the wedding on time after getting locked inside her own bathroom, or guessing if Esther will make her famous three-layer orange marmalade c ...more
Debbie
Mar 15, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I liked going back in time in this book of the series, but honestly now that I have read it I can't imagine the series without this book. It fills in a lot of the gaps. I loved the tenderness of Father Tim and Cynthia. What an example to us all.
Winter Sophia Rose
Sweet, Captivating, Witty & Charming! An Excellent Read! I Loved It!
Joy Gerbode
Feb 02, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-read
This installment in the Mitford series is a quick and easy read, with some details regarding Father Tim & Cynthia and their courtship and wedding. It was good for a fantastic laugh ... as well as some tender and very heartfelt moments, some great truths about marriage, and a wonderful prayer for marriage partners.
Heather Shaw
I love Jan Karon and love visiting Mitford over and over. So when I read the reviews about this, I didn't listen to it right away but after listening to "Come Rain or Come Shine," I just had to hear how Fr. Tim and Cynthia tied the knot.

The story was fantastic and brief. I really enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts as the big day approached... kind of like when Dooley and Lace were married. I forgot how much I missed Miss Sadie and Louella and loved hearing their thoughts about their own loves
Michelle
Oct 31, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little novella. I do agree with other reviewers that this is not long enough to be considered a full book, and it's not for those who have never "been to Mitford". However, for those who have read at least the first two books of this series, this book is a heart-touching delight. The bittersweet glimpse into Uncle Billy's love for his schizophrenic wife offers a small but real window into the possibility of love for someone who suffers from mental illness. I also found the character of ...more
Josh Belice
Mar 22, 2012 Josh Belice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book needs a 5-Hour Energy shot and a dash of darkness to liven it up. There is no reason to read this book other than to waste time. The main characters, Father Tim and Cynthia, are under-developed and McGregor would label this as the epitome of a Theory-Y read.
Pam
May 24, 2007 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Mitford
Shelves: wholesome
My least favorite of the Mitford Books. This one is a flashback to Father Timothy and Cynthia's wedding. Kind of fills in some gaps, but not as good as the rest. It is a fast read, and kind of sweet, but only true lovers of the Mitford series will enjoy.
Marsha
Jun 25, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book #6 in a series. You will love all of the previous books. The characters are exemplary and charming. I love the Mitford series. I found a whole set at a library sale and I'm starting over. This is a series you will hate to put down.
Shannon
Mar 30, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are magical. I was a bit confused when I came to this book. At first it seemed really out-of-order because Father Tim and Cynthia were already married. I really enjoyed getting to read about their wedding because in the book they actually got married in, it really seemed like there was not a lot written about it. I'm getting kind of sad since I'm on the home stretch of the series.

*Favorite Passage*
"The view took his breath away. Early morning mist hovered above the platinum lake, and
Carol C
After being reminded by a friend that this series is delightfully like "curling up with a cup of tea," I realized that the whole series is missing from my Goodreads list. It's been quite a while since I've read this book, so I'm just guessing on the date. I won't rate it, because the details are fuzzy, but I loved this series. Don't pick it up if you're looking for something exceptionally deep or literary. It's just a warm-hearted and good series with characters striving to learn and do what it ...more
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, rather confusingly, was the sixth book written by Jan Karon in her 'Mitford' series, but is the third chronologically. It's quite a short book - less than 200 pages - and it covers the time from Father Tim's proposal to his neighbour Cynthia through to their honeymoon.

When I first read it, I felt a bit disorientated as I had already read books covering later periods of Tim and Cynthia's lives as a married couple. It was a nice book, but I felt as if I had already passed that stage.

However
Kate
Mar 14, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book. It's slightly different than the other 'Mitford' books, in that the timeframe is only a few months, rather than a larger chunk, like most of the other books. This book was actually written after Jan Karon had written a few other stories in which Fr. Tim and Cynthia were already married. Apparently her fans wanted the wedding story, so she kindly obliged.
I loved that we got to get little glimpses into the lives of Mitfordians (is that how you'd say it?) as they prepare for the
Kshydog
Jul 02, 2015 Kshydog rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this book coming late in the series. It would have been better as a 2.5 in the series. This would have been better as a memory recall than as the wedding actually happening. Did not like reading about characters whose lives have already changed. Nothing exciting happens even though the build up about the derelict cabin for the honeymoon offered opportunities. Father worries about telling people about his decision to get married.
Emily
Dec 10, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We finally get to read about the wedding and honeymoon of our dear Father Tim and his beloved Cynthia! I didn't love this one as much as the others because it does nothing to further the story line in which I was very much engaged; nevertheless, it is a sweet glimpse into the hearts of our dear Mitford couple. I wish this book would have come right after they got married, as I really wanted the details then, but it was better late than never!
Rosy
Feb 05, 2016 Rosy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20th-century
I enjoyed this book, as anticipated, but not as much as the other Mitford novels I've read. This was a welcome break in my slog through The Golden Bowl, necessitated by an upcoming meeting of a Mitford book club that meets every three months--but it was such a perfect book for the post-Christmas lazy time that I finished it in two days. Oh well. The reason, I think, that it wasn't quite as good a read as the other novels in the series is that the story had less substance. The scene setting, the ...more
Ellen
Dec 19, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this account of Father Tim and Cynthia's wedding always gives me a moment of pause, particularly when we revisit the past and see the lives of people who drastically changed in later books. Not to give away spoilers, but there are a few character revisits that will bring a tear to the reader's eye if you're reading them in order of publication. Jan Karon does an exceptional job moving back in time and keeping in mind the emotional and spiritual development of the characters at an earlier ...more
Joleen
Nov 29, 2014 Joleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: father-tim
Jan Karon is a jewel among authors. I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced me to her writing. Her books are among my favorite books of all time. This one is no exception.
I love Father Tim and all the residents of this little town of Mitford.
Book after book bring delights to a reader.
Would I recommend it?
Absolutely!
And every one of the books within the Father Tim series.
Kelly
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Carol
This was a short, quick read! I like the way it picks up Father Tim's and Cynthia's story directly after book 2 (A Light in the Window) even tho it is book 6 in the series. If you've read these books before, go back and read them again with this book third in line. It makes a lot of sense. All weddings have "inconveniences" about them and this one is no exception. I like the way Karon lets us in on the feelings of the various inhabitants of Mitford as they think about Father Tim's marriage. Thos ...more
Gerald Matzke
Having read the Mitford series to this point I was not expecting book six to go back in time and rehash the wedding of Father Tim and Cynthia. Perhaps the author did this to appease those readers who wanted more of that special moment in Mitford history. I found it to be unnecessary. I was ready to move on to the next episode in the ongoing story.
Pam
Dec 17, 2015 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of the wedding of Father Tim and his next door neighbor, Cynthia. I liked the book but did not love it as much as I loved the first two. But it is good to have filled in the story. Read this after the second book and before the third for the correct chronological order.
Becky
Sep 12, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of the Karon books. It's called #6 but really since it's all about the wedding it would've made more sense to have been read back when the wedding actually occurred. It was very short and shallow - just took a couple of hours to read. I was disappointed in this book.
Frances Denmon
It felt like this book was an afterthought to fill in some missing components. It was helpful but seemed out of sync and out of order. It could have been written as an addendum ; not as book 6. I am glad to have read it so fast and now I can get back to the current lives of Father Tim and Mitford.
Danielle Cunningham
This is a great book that should have been written sooner. Very touching, brings back fond memories of my own wedding, and makes me fall in love with my husband all over again. I love the sharing of all the different love stories.
not needed but good 2 12 Jun 15, 2011 04:17AM
  • Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)
  • Home Song
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby, #3)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine