Start by marking “A Common Life: The Wedding Story” as Want to Read:
A Common Life: The Wedding Story
Preview

A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years #6)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  8,895 ratings  ·  215 reviews
Laughter and wedding bells ring as Jan Karon takes her millions of fans back in time to the most cherished event in Mitford! Mitford's Lord's Chapel seats barely two hundred souls, yet millions of Jan Karon's fans will be there for the most joyful event in years: the wedding of Father Tim Kavanagh and Cynthia Coppersmith. Here at last is A Common Life, and the long-awaited ...more
Published April 9th 2001 by Viking Adult (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Common Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Common Life

Hannah
As a long-time fan of Karon, I must say I was greatly dissapointed in A Common Life and embarrassed that I purchased it before reading more reviews. I would have certainly checked it out at the library and been equally dissapointed but $... dollars richer.
I feel cheated as a reader and a fan because it seems as though Karon took advantage of her fan base. This magazine-length story is marketed to "appear" like all her other books, while a quick flick through the pages indicates larger fonts and
Ali
Well I said I needed an antidote to the gritty reality of my last read. This certainly fitted the bill.

Although the 6th in the Mitford Years series - this story is chronologicaly out of time. It is the story of Father Tim and Cynthia's marriage. Father Tim 62 years old, marrying for the first time, his neighbour, children's writer and illustrator Cynthia Coppersmith. We see Timothy contemplating his marriage, thinking about his feelings for Cynthia as composes a letter, and we see what the marr
Jocelyn
I really liked the part where got to experience the other character's ponts-of-view. Especially Cynthia and Dooly's. This was a great little addition to the series, and it only took me a day to get through it. I'm reading through the series for the second or 3rd time and read this book in between the second and third books even though it was written far later in the series. It fit very well.
Julie
As soon as I realized that the "sixth book the Mitford series" was just about a wedding that happened in an earlier book, I took it back to the library. It may seem silly, but I felt cheated. I wanted to know what happens after the fifth book leaves off, not more about something that happened books ago. I'm officially finished with the Mitford series.
Janice
A Common Life is not just a wedding story. It's also an intimate portrait of the unfolding love between Cynthia and the shy Father Tim, complete with fears and hesitations, professions of commitment, and Barnabas the dog delivering love letters. But there's nothing heavy-handed here. The tensions don't run any higher than wondering if Cynthia will make it to the wedding on time after getting locked inside her own bathroom, or guessing if Esther will make her famous three-layer orange marmalade c ...more
Debbie
I didn't think I liked going back in time in this book of the series, but honestly now that I have read it I can't imagine the series without this book. It fills in a lot of the gaps. I loved the tenderness of Father Tim and Cynthia. What an example to us all.
Joy Gerbode
This installment in the Mitford series is a quick and easy read, with some details regarding Father Tim & Cynthia and their courtship and wedding. It was good for a fantastic laugh ... as well as some tender and very heartfelt moments, some great truths about marriage, and a wonderful prayer for marriage partners.
Josh Belice
This book needs a 5-Hour Energy shot and a dash of darkness to liven it up. There is no reason to read this book other than to waste time. The main characters, Father Tim and Cynthia, are under-developed and McGregor would label this as the epitome of a Theory-Y read.
Pam
May 24, 2007 Pam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Mitford
Shelves: wholesome
My least favorite of the Mitford Books. This one is a flashback to Father Timothy and Cynthia's wedding. Kind of fills in some gaps, but not as good as the rest. It is a fast read, and kind of sweet, but only true lovers of the Mitford series will enjoy.
Marsha
This is book #6 in a series. You will love all of the previous books. The characters are exemplary and charming. I love the Mitford series. I found a whole set at a library sale and I'm starting over. This is a series you will hate to put down.
Shannon
These books are magical. I was a bit confused when I came to this book. At first it seemed really out-of-order because Father Tim and Cynthia were already married. I really enjoyed getting to read about their wedding because in the book they actually got married in, it really seemed like there was not a lot written about it. I'm getting kind of sad since I'm on the home stretch of the series.

*Favorite Passage*
"The view took his breath away. Early morning mist hovered above the platinum lake, and
Sue
This, rather confusingly, was the sixth book written by Jan Karon in her 'Mitford' series, but is the third chronologically. It's quite a short book - less than 200 pages - and it covers the time from Father Tim's proposal to his neighbour Cynthia through to their honeymoon.

When I first read it, I felt a bit disorientated as I had already read books covering later periods of Tim and Cynthia's lives as a married couple. It was a nice book, but I felt as if I had already passed that stage.

However
Kate
I adored this book. It's slightly different than the other 'Mitford' books, in that the timeframe is only a few months, rather than a larger chunk, like most of the other books. This book was actually written after Jan Karon had written a few other stories in which Fr. Tim and Cynthia were already married. Apparently her fans wanted the wedding story, so she kindly obliged.
I loved that we got to get little glimpses into the lives of Mitfordians (is that how you'd say it?) as they prepare for the
Emily
We finally get to read about the wedding and honeymoon of our dear Father Tim and his beloved Cynthia! I didn't love this one as much as the others because it does nothing to further the story line in which I was very much engaged; nevertheless, it is a sweet glimpse into the hearts of our dear Mitford couple. I wish this book would have come right after they got married, as I really wanted the details then, but it was better late than never!
Ellen
Reading this account of Father Tim and Cynthia's wedding always gives me a moment of pause, particularly when we revisit the past and see the lives of people who drastically changed in later books. Not to give away spoilers, but there are a few character revisits that will bring a tear to the reader's eye if you're reading them in order of publication. Jan Karon does an exceptional job moving back in time and keeping in mind the emotional and spiritual development of the characters at an earlier ...more
Joleen
Jan Karon is a jewel among authors. I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced me to her writing. Her books are among my favorite books of all time. This one is no exception.
I love Father Tim and all the residents of this little town of Mitford.
Book after book bring delights to a reader.
Would I recommend it?
Absolutely!
And every one of the books within the Father Tim series.
Kelly
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Becky
This was my least favorite of the Karon books. It's called #6 but really since it's all about the wedding it would've made more sense to have been read back when the wedding actually occurred. It was very short and shallow - just took a couple of hours to read. I was disappointed in this book.
Danielle Cunningham
This is a great book that should have been written sooner. Very touching, brings back fond memories of my own wedding, and makes me fall in love with my husband all over again. I love the sharing of all the different love stories.
Carol
Although the 6th in the Mitford Years series - this story is chronologicaly out of order. It is the story of Father Tim and Cynthia's marriage, which really happened around Book 2 or 3. Father Tim 62 years old, marrying for the first time, his neighbour, children's writer and illustrator Cynthia Coppersmith. We see Timothy contemplating his marriage, thinking about his feelings for Cynthia as he composes a letter, and we see what the marriage of these two lovely people mean to the other characte ...more
Sharon
Felt that this one was less intriguing that the previous stories--less tension, fewer community issues, more internalization of the character's thoughts.
Katrina
I'd been wondering about the months leading up to Father Tim's and Cynthia's wedding and the actual ceremony, so it was fun to read this. Short, easy, good.
Shannon
I wasn't going to read another Jan Karon for a while just so I could read some other authors but got this one for Christmas and it was a short read so....

It was a very short read, 186 pages in large print, so my first comment would be that I missed some of the character development and some of the plot development that you normally find in a Mitford book. But the book was about Father Tim's wedding story. And as usual the author did an excellent job of telling that story. I enjoyed it and it hel
Al Gritten
Ehh....

I like Karon and the Mitford series really speaks to me as both a reader and as an ordained minister. Her character development is deep and I feel like I almost know the people of Mitford. She offers keen insight into the life of a minister and I often find renewal in reading about Father Tim. Having said that, this book was not up to the rest of what I've read in the series thus far. Karon claims to have written this because so many wanted details about the wedding, but this is one that
Terri
It was fun learning of the love stories of the other residents of Mitford. Glad that JK wrote the wedding story - it was a good addition.
Charlotte
I'm glad I read this book, but it still only gets a two. It's a throwback to the wedding and it's not as good as the others.
Melissa
Disappointing because this goes backward and basically adds more detail to Tim and Cynthia's wedding, which readers of the series have already heard about. But it was still entertaining to read, and with hardly any (if any) swearing. I do wonder if Father Tim is too idealized, or too much like a woman, in some ways. I suppose there are sensitive fellows like that, but women writers do tend to skew things a bit. (Guess what I've been reading, ha? Look in my current reads.) Overall it is quite rea ...more
Jared
As one reviewer said, it does fill in some gaps, but like many others, I don't think this book is as good as Karon's other Mitford books. Although this is the sixth book in in the series, chronologically it comes after the second. I thought it interesting, but not in keeping with her other books, that one was able to see things from other characters' points of view. Since the whole book is basically just about the wedding, it seems like Karon had to make a way to create more content. Still, ther ...more
Carmen
The continuing story of Cynthia and Tim as they marry. Of course a few things went wrong, butwent okay.
Jennifer Oliver smith
Not my cup of tea. Shallow characters, not much of a plot. Nice read when you just need to relax a bit!
not needed but good 2 12 Jun 15, 2011 04:17AM
  • Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (10 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1) A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2) A New Song (Mitford Years, #5) These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)