Start by marking “Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate” as Want to Read:
Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate

Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate (Halloween Jack #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  115 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, the one night of the year the Devil and his kin are free to roam the world. Only one thing keeps humanity safe on that darkest of nights: Jack o' the Lantern, the mythical figure that all demons despise and fear. What if Jack o' the Lantern didn't frighten all of those dark creatures any more?

The Devil's Gate comes crashing down! Jack o' the La
Published October 19th 2011 by Bard's Cloak of Tales

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate

Ashe Armstrong
Sep 27, 2016 Ashe Armstrong rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a very fun read. Fun characters, fun story, fun ogre. The power of myth and lore can, as Jack shows, carry some weight. Could use an editing touch up, but it wasn't enough to diminish my enjoyment. Indie authors take a lot on their shoulders so it makes a lot of things even more forgivable. Especially if you enjoyed the work. If you like clever heroes and steampunk, give it a read.
Ren Bedell
Apr 28, 2016 Ren Bedell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
An interesting story of a family taking on demons and the devil. It's a fun story. Even though it is based around battling demons, it is very lighthearted and comedic. The characters and storyline is great. Overall it is a very enjoyable read. There is a clear resolution to the story at the end, but also teases about the next book too. I wish there was more character development. It centers on Halloween Jack, and I feel like I don't know or care about the other two. The dialogue is also not writ ...more
Todd Ross
Oct 19, 2015 Todd Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got this book for free from Amazon over the weekend. I was surfing /r/fantasy on reddit and the author mentioned that it was free for a few days. I figured I'd pick it up and give it a try.

Before I get into the review though...
I was wondering is this is a novella or novelette? What is the breaking point between the various definitions. When does a short story become a novelette, and that into a novella, and eventually a full novel? I have no idea, and its not really pertinent to the review any
Katharina Gerlach
Aug 05, 2013 Katharina Gerlach rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I've had this on my eBook reader for quite a while and always meant to read it. It was a pleasant surprise. The book was one of the fastest paced I've read in a while with many interesting twists and turns.

I liked Jacks female cousin best, but Jack was an interesting character too. Normally, I despise it when characters in a novel don't tell the others their intentions or plans but here, it made sense.

Very enjoyable read for everyone who's got a heart for Halloween. I wouldn't give it to young c
Christopher Kellen
Dec 23, 2011 Christopher Kellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, indie

Halloween Jack and the Devil’s Gate is, at its heart, a folk tale. It stirs up feelings of stories featuring other characters named Jack – like Jack & The Beanstalk, for example. This is a story of whimsy and hearkens back to an age of storytelling when history was a murky blur and legends ruled and had power.

In fact, the power of myth, story and legend is one of the central themes in HJ&tDG. The mythical figure Jack o’ the Lantern (who keeps the demons away from Earth, chasing them back
Jeffery Moulton
Jul 10, 2012 Jeffery Moulton rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a quick, mythology-based, light fantasy with some steampunk on the side.
I'm really torn on the review for this book. In fact, I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have been coming up with excuses to not post a review because I wasn't sure what to say. Here are some of the problems:

The story is very fun. I loved the mythology angle and the steampunk aspect. The variety of demons was also well done and interesting, and I got a kick out of reading a tale about out-smarting the devil, which you just don't get very often anymore.

In general, the story was also well-tol
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Really enjoyed this one. A bit more serious than I was expecting at times, but there are plenty of humorous moments.
A wonderfully diverse group of characters tread the stage for this adventure as they battle to return the recalcitrant escapees from hell to their warm and toasty abode. Demon outsmarting always makes for a good read and this was no exception.
Halloween Jack is a particularly sneaky, and brave young man and young Moira is someone even demons need to think twice about before battli
Nov 20, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, historical
This novella, inspired by stories of Stingy Jack or Jack of the Lantern, was a fun, light read.

In this version of the story, Jack not only tricked the Devil, but he and his descendants became keepers of the Devil's Gate. The story opens with the end of a Halloween night, when the forces of Hell are allowed to roam the earth, but instead of going back through the Gate they finally overcome Jack and stay on earth to wreak havoc.

It's up to the the final descendants of Jack's line to find a way to r
Christopher Davis
I bought this one from the author himself while visiting a renaissance fair with my then two year old grandson (who by the way was on my nerves that day) Although I did enjoy the few moments that I had in talking with the author, I would have liked to have spent more.

The story got down behind some books on the shelf as was missed for some time. Finding it a few days ago, I decided to read the story that I had purchased for the first of my grand kids. Unfortunately...I don't think that (my now fo
Nov 03, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read from beginning to end. It's a nice mix of folklore and steampunk. It has something for everyone: fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, scary monsters and did I mention steampunk? Halloween Jack should be read alongside The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I recommend this book to everyone who loves Halloween folklore.
Sgt Roman Hunter
Nov 09, 2014 Seonaidh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2014
Lots of fun, A sort of mashup of Irish and American folklore with a dash of steampunk.

A light read for younger readers of all ages :)
Mar 03, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very quick read. Clever story, could have used a little more substance.
Feb 08, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed it! I recommend it to everyone!
Sep 28, 2012 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a romp of a story.

Based on Irish folklore, Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate starts out on a darkly magical note with the Devil's minions taking over the gatehouse where demons gather on their way back to Hell. This Halloween night, the only night in which demons are free to walk the earth, will be the last one where Jack o' the Lantern holds power. At least, if the Devil has his way. And to make sure, he orders every one of Jack's line to be killed.

Caught up in this maelstrom is John
Oct 15, 2012 Vannessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, fantasy
This was a fun quick read, telling the story of how Jack of the Lantern was defeated by the Devil Lord on the Darkest night (Hallowe'en to you and me!) and because of this demons roamed the earth doing as they please with no one to stop them.

No-one that is until Hallowe'en Jack comes into being. Hallowe'en Jack is the grandson of Jack of the Lantern and with the aid of his two cousins, both of whom carry magical artefacts to help scare off the demons (they cannot be killed, but can be scared int
Misty Mirko
Oct 15, 2015 Misty Mirko rated it it was amazing
Very addictive

Great story, nice writing style and super hard to put down. Looking forward to seeing if his other works are as well written. Great job!
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Nov 23, 2011 Alejandro Canton-Dutari rated it it was amazing
Not being an American or British, I was only aware of some of the traditions of Halloween --trick or treat in the US and costume wearing in the UK. The carved pumpkin with a candle inside I had seen without knowing much about it.
The story of John of the Lantern was very well described, but the creation of Ha...lloween Jack was surprising. I had never "experienced" the company of so many devils, goblins and other hellish creatures.
An important outcome of this reading was that the first night I a
Lisa Cox
Jan 31, 2013 Lisa Cox rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a lot of steampunk, but I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It's a mixture of old-fashioned Irish folk legends, the traditions of fun and light-hearted besting-the-devil stories, some magic, bargaining with St. Peter, a genius who tinkers with inventions no one else can understand, and a Victorian setting.

It was fun, kept me thinking, made me re-read it to see what clues I had missed along the way, and the characters were really sympathetic and entertaining. It made me
Oct 21, 2015 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little romp, putting a semi-updated (steampunk) take on old Irish mythology.
Sep 24, 2012 Micheleann rated it it was amazing
halloween and halloween eve is when the devil and his kin roam what happen when the line of decesandts comes to be the next in line to scare the devil and his kin back into hell and the gate need to be clossed forever it was worth it a book i enjoyed for this time of year it goes highly recommened
Jan 17, 2013 Valruspines rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Very fast paced, even a bit rushed at a times. But a very fine reading. The characters could be a little deeper but the story is like a presentation to longer and better stories. I'm going to follow Jack and his latern for sure. And Mickey, I'm sure wanna follow Mickey!
Like many other reviewers, I must agree that this story would be much more enjoyable and easier to read after a bit more proof-reading.

That said, I did very much enjoy the story in itself. I will likely add this to my annual Halloween reading list.
Oct 15, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
Kind of a folk tale legend sort of thing. Fun little read of Good vs Evil. Nice story line that reminded me of a Fairy Tale. Not a scary Halloween horror at all. I liked this one.
Nov 06, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This an excellent read. It delves into the true meaning of Halloween --- guarding against evil spirits and demons. Halloween Jack is cuning, daring, and devious. My kind of character!
Mia Kleve
Jan 12, 2013 Mia Kleve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default, kindle
Excellent story! I haven't had this much fun with a folklore tale since deLint. I can't wait for the next one!
Deanna Goodson
Oct 13, 2012 Deanna Goodson rated it liked it

A cute folk tale. Some editing mistakes reduce overall quality of the story.
Lacee marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Lee Harrison
Lee Harrison marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Tammy J Rizzo
Tammy J Rizzo marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
#GallowglasArmy H...: Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate 1 1 Nov 09, 2015 09:58PM
So much fun... 1 2 Nov 02, 2011 06:48PM
Goodreads Authors...: Where's your lantern? 1 7 Nov 02, 2011 05:10PM
Goodreads Authors...: Where's your lantern? 1 6 Nov 02, 2011 05:02PM
  • Scraping the Bone: Ten Dark Tales
  • Freeze
  • Dark Entry
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • A Collection of Scary Stories (Creepy Collection #2)
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • In Siege of Daylight (Compendium of Light, Dark & Shadow, #1)
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • A Hollow Dream of Summer's End
  • Dragon Soul
  • Cinema of Shadows (Harmony, Indiana, #2)
  • The Witch Stones : Gathering Of The Covens
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Fox's Bride
  • Dead Stop
  • Rodger Dodger (Railroad! #1)
  • Sorcerer’s Code
  • You Only Die Twice
M Todd Gallowglas has been a professional storyteller at Renaissance Faires and Medieval Festivals for over twenty years. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University in 2009, he used his storytelling show as a platform to launch his fiction career. He is the author of the Tears of Rage and Halloween Jack series, which have spent time on various best ...more
More about M. Todd Gallowglas...

Halloween Jack (2 books)