Start by marking “Dark Water (Siren, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Water (Siren, #3)

Dark Water (Siren #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,110 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
When seventeen-year-old Vanessa reunites with her biological mother, she faces the dilemma of a siren's existence, that in order to survive she must endanger the lives of those she loves most.
Published July 10th 2012 by EgmontUSA (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Water

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
64th out of 157 books — 755 voters
Something Strange and Deadly by Susan DennardEndlessly by Kiersten WhiteSuch a Rush by Jennifer EcholsBefore I Wake by Rachel VincentJust for Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
July 2012
23rd out of 63 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Mizuki
Note: I read this book only for the sake of getting this trilogy over with, not because I like it or something like that.

1.5 stars, the 0.5 star is given merely because I don't find this book offensive (but those who take the Siren myth seriously might be offended by the Sirens in the story), still I am not going to recommend Dark Water nor its author to anyone.

What you should expect when you open this book: paper-thinned and angst-filled romance between a love sicked girl and her handsome love
Lena
Mar 13, 2012 Lena added it
I know the book isnt out yet, but i still want to write a review anyway.
love the siren series by tricia rayburn.
I love Parker from book 2 and i hoped venessa would end up him but NO... Of course she would end up with SIMON ... Not that he is horrid or something i just like parker more....
I am i the only one that feels this way :( ????
I am SO looking forward to this book buy PLEASE make it come out sooner :) thanks
Mitch
Jul 26, 2012 Mitch rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-just-no
There are times when the series completionist in me has to read a book even though nothing good can come of it. This is one of those times. I'm not exaggerating - not much anyway. Dark Water's not as bad as Undercurrent, ok few books are as bad as Undercurrent, but it is really really dull. In fact, it's probably one of the more pointless sequels I've ever read.

I mean, not much goes on for most of this book. Vanessa, well she broke up with Simon in Undercurrent in a really bizarre twist of event
Mae
Oct 07, 2012 Mae rated it liked it
I had enjoyed the first two books in the series much more than this one. But I didn't absolutely love them. I had a problem with the writing style, and the way Rayburn liked to just skip the action parts and replay them later in their mind. It made it difficult to move from one scene to another, and you never get the full details.

I didn't particularly like the ending to the book either. It left too many things unresolved, and it didn't make it seem like there would be another book after it. It
Lidia
Feb 09, 2016 Lidia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great trilogy! I love how the characters developed during it, especially Vanessa! The writing is magical and really brings you into the story. Great way to tell the mythology of ancient sirens.
Love it and recommend it to everyone!
Viola
Jun 27, 2015 Viola rated it liked it
I liked this one more than thr other two, but it still followed the same irritating trend of a lead up to no real end. There was a tiny bit of action that was the climax that lasted about two pages and then that was it. I will say that at least there was more going on in this one than just the sd love story that was so prevalent in the others. And I could have guessed from the moment her mom told Vanessa what would be needed to stay alive what her ultimate decision would be. I mean, it would hav ...more
AylianInvasion
Sep 24, 2012 AylianInvasion rated it it was ok
Shelves: sirens
I liked the first two books of this series, but for some reason I couldn't get into this book. The pacing of the book was extremely slow and all the action happened in the end. The "bad guy" (view spoiler) was obvious from the beginning. The majority of the book consisted of Vanessa pining after Simon and hanging out at the restaurant she works at. This book was just okay.
Rebecca Jane
Mar 31, 2016 Rebecca Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I'm going to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this book and I don't know why. Turns out, I really enjoyed this book, and the characters. Some of the plot was a bit predictable but that's about it.
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
The Sea is calling, but the reluctant siren will do anything not to answer...
Here comes the final book! I promise you, after reading this book, you'll find yourselves fall in the trap of this haunting series. (And this book doesn't need to re-read to find out those mysteries! You can enjoy Dark Water for the first time you read.) In this book, all those problems were about to solve, and you'll no longer hate Vanessa for betraying Simon... (At least I forgave her.)
Perhaps you still remember the
Andréia
Aug 10, 2014 Andréia rated it liked it
Review in portuguese by blog MON PETIT POISON

Ando com medo de chegar aos finais de séries, cada vez mais tenho certeza do meu pensamento ‘os autores não bolam a série livro a livro, é como se eles escrevessem no sentimento e com isso temos livros ou momentos sem pé nem cabeça, onde a gente percebe que foi enrolado e/ou o autor fugiu da sua linha de raciocínio do início e quando vamos analisar friamente, quase percebemos que a maioria das séries poderiam se resumir em um único livro.’

Eu gostei ma
hayden
Mar 15, 2015 hayden marked it as wishlist
That cover is goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorgeous.
Carly
Jan 29, 2016 Carly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two were consistent, interesting and captivating. Yes, this one kept up the suspense but in the end? The nemesis was predictable and the writer still skipped scenes just when something was about to happen.

I'd say the books should have stopped after the second. This one was quite a drag. I wasn't sure if it was predictable or if it was going to be so predictable that I'd missed something else but in reality it could have been plotted and planned in the space of a night.

A poor end to a
Haley
Jan 15, 2016 Haley rated it it was amazing
After a few years of waiting, I finally finish this series by reading Undercurrent and Dark Water back-to-back. The first book, Siren, took place in Winter Harbor, the sequel, Undercurrent was mostly set in Boston, but they went back to Winter Harbor a few times. Dark Water, the finally, is almost exclusively in Winter Harbor and like the first book, it’s summertime.

The setting plays a major role in this book. There’s nothing as fun as a summertime story set in a seaside town. Of course, the pe
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
It’s been a while since I read the first book in this series, Siren and I remembered really liking it so I was excited to finally have a chance to grab the last two books in this series. Unfortunately I think I had overestimated it. Either that or the last two books were not as interesting as the first – in fact, a part of me believes that the second two books were not even necessary. The story plot was a little bland and I felt that the author had run out of interesting plot for Vanessa and her ...more
Becky Keir Grace
Finishing up the Siren trilogy left me without strong feelings either way. It is an average book. Vanessa and Paige are both sirens and back in Winter Harbor for another summer. Paige becomes the manager at her grandmother’s restaurant, although the once popular tourist destination is now empty. People are staying away from the town after all the deaths over the past year. Vanessa’s family is selling the lake house and just purchased a nice and expensive beach house. Well aware of Vanessa’s situ ...more
Nafiza
Jul 18, 2013 Nafiza rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Dark Water is the last installment in the Siren trilogy and unfortunately, in my opinion, the weakest one of them all. I enjoyed the first two books immensely. In a genre that was suddenly flooded with mermaids (pardon the pun), I thought Rayburn’s portrayal of sirens was original and refreshing. Her writing was strong as was her portrayal of bloodthirsty sirens. Dark Water flounders a bit because I felt it didn’t have a clear plot and direction. There were too many questions that remained unans ...more
Tiffany (About to Read)
Aug 11, 2012 Tiffany (About to Read) rated it really liked it
Tricia Rayburn mixes mythology, murder mystery, and romance in her phenomenal Siren trilogy. While I didn’t enjoy Dark Water quite as much as I did Siren or Undercurrent it was still a great read. The biggest question at the end of Undercurrent was whether or not Simon and Vanessa would be able to repair their relationship after the Parker incident. Watching the rest of Simon and Vanessa’s story unfold was truly enjoyable.

Even though the romance is one of my favorite parts of the story, it has a
Alyssa
Jul 31, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was ok
I first read an ARC copy of Siren, and I loved it so much that I emailed Tricia Rayburn to make sure there was going to be a sequel (and yes, she did respond). I gave that one 4 stars. Then I read Undercurrent, which I gave 3 stars. And now Dark Water only gets 2 stars.

This entire book seemed pretty pointless to me. The main "conflict" (random deaths, Vanessa learning about her powers, etc) was basically buried by her obsession with Simon. At this point, I don't even care anymore. I just kept th
ALM188
Overall I was very disappointed with this series. The cover on the first novel was fantastic and I had to buy it based on the jacket.

But the second and now this third installment were not up to par. The only siren/mermaid series that was decent was OF POSEIDON. I'm not sure if sirens are just hard to write about since most of their lives depend on water and it is just odd for us to "go" there with the characters or what, but several attempts at this underwater mythological creature have left me
Sophie
Oct 30, 2013 Sophie rated it liked it
Rok temu Vanessa nagle straciła ukochaną siostrę. Tego samego lata odkryła, że jej dziedzictwo jest związane z mrocznymi, mitologicznymi istotami i to na zawsze odmieniło jej życie. Dowiedziała się, że tak naprawdę jest potomkinią rodu okrutnych Syren, które nie dadzą łatwo o sobie zapomnieć. Aby przetrwać, musi dopuścić się najgorszego czynu znanego ludzkości. Czyhało na nią prawdziwe niebezpieczeństwo i żeby się z nimi zmierzyć musiała zaakceptować kim naprawdę jest, do czego jest zdolna oraz ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

I seriously adore the Siren series, and I was absolutely thrilled and excited to read the third and final book in the series, Abyss by Tricia Rayburn. At times throughout reading this series I have become a bit confused, sometimes about sirens and sometimes by events that happened in previous books, but what really stands out for me when I'm reading these books are Vanessa as a character and also her relationship with Simon.

Especiall
WJ
May 29, 2013 WJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
I don't know why I keep tormenting myself like this. I didn't enjoy the previous two installments in this series but when I came across Dark Waters I couldn't help but to get my hands on this book, if only to see how the series would end. Out of the trilogy, I think this was probably the most inoffensive but it had very little to offer in terms of plot development and character growth.

By the previous book's end, Vanessa has destroyed the Winter Harbour sirens including Raina and the evil Zara. S
M.M. Roethig
Sep 01, 2012 M.M. Roethig rated it liked it
I love this series, but I didn't love this book. The writing was good, the plot captured my attention, the problem was resolved, but I didn't feel resolution while reading. In fact, I actually had to skip to the end so I could read the last chapters first because I was getting frustrated with the way it was going. I LOVE Simon!!! I wanted good things for him and couldn't wait to find out what happened. I would start to read, then I would get frustrated and put it down only to be plagued with tho ...more
Камелия Йовчева
I feel sorry that this book didn't quite grab my attention as to make me read it in one breath..I liked the idea and this third book appealed to me and I found it more interesting than the other two...the plot is either moving too fast or too slow at moments that don't need much attention...The final was somehow predictable but all things concidered i am a little confused about how i feel about the whole serie as a whole..left with mixed feelings indeed !
Julie
Jan 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a mostly satisfying conclusion to the Siren series. I was hooked by the book, even though it was easy to figure out who was behind the murders.

I only have one problem with the series: The author never tells us how Vanessa will live our the rest of her life as a siren. (spoiler alert)

It seems at the end of the book that she is ok with killing people to keep herself alive. After she survives the siren attack, there is hardly a mention of her future as a siren. How is she going to live w
Darcy
Oct 25, 2012 Darcy rated it really liked it
Vanessa has discovered a lot about herself in the past year. She found out her true heritage - she’s a siren. She even found her birth mother. Now she and her family have returned to Winter Harbor, only to discover that events are similar to last year. Girls are turning up dead, and Vanessa fears that people in town have learned that there are sirens. She and her friends must figure out what’s going on - not just for Vanessa’s safety. For Paige’s, too. For everyone’s.

This is an excellent additi
Susan Francis
There are several plots intertwined surrounding Vanessa, the protagonist in this book. She has just graduated from senior high and is spending the summer in Winter Harbour, the small seaside town in Maine she and her family have always gone to in the holidays - returning despite the awful thing that happened there last summer...

My detailed review is available at: http://soozbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk...

I suspect this is another case of an author under contractual obligation to write a trilogy bu
Jade Herrera
Oct 12, 2013 Jade Herrera rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in this book. I really liked Siren, but as I read the other books, my fondness for the book gradually decreased. I actually had to finish reading this just for the sake of finishing something I started.

The book looked rushed, the plot was cliche and I felt bad about Colin, it was pure injustice. I didn't like the idea that just because Vanessa was the main character she didn't get punished for killing Colin even if it was an accident. It just wasn't fair. I don't care if
Guitar Chick
Sep 03, 2012 Guitar Chick rated it liked it
During the last section of the book, I was ready to give it four stars. Things were moving along pretty quickly, and Vanessa had give up on the annoying whiny things. And then came the end.
Cop-out after cop-out, the ending was a horrbile end to a mediocre series. While the book was better written than it's predecessors, it still focused on Vanessa's whining and feelings which we're already very familiar with due to previous books. I mean, seriously, GET OVER IT.
I've never wanted to reach into a
Sandown Public
An interesting resolution to the series, though I'm a bit disturbed at the supposed OK-ness of what Vanessa needs to do to survive as a siren. -Kirsten
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 22, 2015 10:54AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dark Water 1 3 Sep 26, 2012 06:11PM
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Selkie Girl
  • Breathless
  • Fins
  • In Great Waters
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Siren
  • Ninemia (Antara, #2)
Tricia Rayburn lives on eastern Long island with her fiancé and crazy shih tzu. She tries to eat vegetables instead of candy but, in her weaker moments, loves Reese's Pieces. The Melting of Maggie Bean is her first novel.
More about Tricia Rayburn...

Siren (3 books)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • Undercurrent (Siren, #2)