A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  7,542 ratings  ·  778 reviews
Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is . . .

But she's managing quite well as a governess to threehighborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge—in a singleweek she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playingan evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or mightbe a comedy—no one is sure), and tending to the wounds ofthe oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstea...more
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Avon (first published January 1st 2012)

Erika

I'd been wondering how old Daniel is. Which was why I skimmed through the pages of Just Like Heaven to find some clues. Turned out Honoria is twenty one years old, five years younger than Marcus. Marcus and Daniel are at the same age, and that would be twenty six. Since the first and the second book of Smythe-Smith quartet series are set in the same year, Daniel is still twenty six when he came home to England. Why am I babbling about his age? I had hoped he's much younger. Because that...more
Jill

Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead and his friend Hugh Prentice, get drunk and foolishly end up in a duel. Honour dictates that they face each other, but having sobered up and wised up, both realise they need to aim wide. Though Hugh's shot hits Daniel accidentally, it is superficial. But Daniel slips and his shot sees Hugh badly injured, nearly crippled. Threatened with death by Hugh's father, the Marquess of Ramsgate, Daniel escapes to the Continent, in fear of his life for the nex...more
Shawna
Jun 24, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: JQ & historical romance fans
Shelves: brothers-sisters-cousins-family, favorite-romance-series, hh-musician-rocker-singer-popstar, historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, julia-quinn, series-smythe-smith-quartet, hero-black-sheep, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, humor-fall-off-the-couch-funny, i-read-library, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, 2012-reads, 4-to-5-stars, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, best-faves-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-snarkasm-humor, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, favorite-love-scenes-hottest-nookie, favorites, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, heartwarming, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-beta, hero-gentleman, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-commoner-lower-class, heroine-companion, heroine-country-lass, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-i-adore, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-servant-serving-working-class, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, stalker-alert, star-crossed-lovers, steam-2-warm, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz, villain-uber-bad-nasty, hero-im-gaga-over
4 ½ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Oh, how I love Julia Quinn’s witty, winsome writing! She’s one of my absolute favorite authors for feel-good, sweet romances that put a huge smile on my face and lift my spirits. The musicale scene in the first chapter had me laughing so hard that I had tears streaming down my face and that part alone was worth 5 stars. This actually has a bit of angst as well, but it’s tempered with Julia’s engaging, heartwarming style.

Another enchanting, romantic winner f...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
If you're looking for a sweet historical romance, this is the book for you Photobucket

It's entertaining, funny and witty, it has a great romance with characters you'll love and who love each other like crazy Photobucket

I just have one problem with this, it somehow gets too sweet for me in the second half of the book Photobucket I know, I know, what's wrong with sweet? Nothing, but I personally don't like those sugary endings. Maybe sometimes I love them, but most of the times not. This was in the most of the times category Photobucket

B...more
Rane

JQ has the gift of being a great pick me up storyteller, her stories are always smart and alot of fun. The focus on the Smythe-Smith and their crazy family and well known ear bleeding musicals bring a smile to anyone's face if they'll read JQ's books.
A Night Like This follows in the same vein as the book before it Just Like Heaven with it's at times very simple plot. At the sane time reminded me of an older novel On the Way to the Wedding, but lacked the spark I found in On the Way to the We...more
Rachel (BAVR)
Back when BAVR still had her baby talons, we read a ton of Julia Quinn books. Almost all of them, really. And despite those years of frivolous happiness, I swore off Quinn books after the first in the Smythe-Smith series, Just Like Heaven, was pointlessly dumb enough to make me rethink what I was doing with my life. Did I really want to read the same banter and self-gratifying me so clever "comedy" for the rest of my life? No, I said. No, I do not want to read this funny stuff that isn't funny f...more
Kelly22
5.00 Stars - Regency/Historical Romance

Thoughts before reading:

I wish I at least knew who our hero/heroine will be in this one, at this instant...June 2012 will just take forever to come around :(

Thoughts after reading:

Daniel Smythe-Smith returns home to England after a 3 year exile at the continent on the night of a Smythe-Smith musicale. Soon enough he takes notice of the beautiful stranger amidst his sisters and cousins and suffers an instant pang of attraction which may only lead to lo...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Love love love the cover art. Bright blue dress and sweet pink heels. ohhh it's cute!!! I love the way Julia Quinn makes me laugh, cry and sigh with satisfaction.

It was so good to finally wrapped with a good romance. The epilogue make me continue my reading till evening. I was glued and I can't take my eyes of this wonderful story.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://juliaquinn.com/
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Smythe-Smith Quartet (spinoff series of Bridgerton Series)
Series Best Read In Order: Worked well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

This book reminded my why I fell in love with Julia Quinn’s books so many years ago. It was lighthearted without...more
Naganika
Makes me wonder WHAT HAPPENED TO JULIA QUINN!?!?

Is this really the same author I enjoyed reading all of her 28 books in a month after her Bridgerton series? She introduced me to the world of Historical romance and I didn't find a more witty author till date. But what went wrong with this one? Well...EVERYTHING!!

So, was the book funny?

Were the characters endearing?
No (with the exception of Frances and Harriet)

Were there solid supporting characters?
No!! (both the mothers portrayed in the boo...more
Lisa Kay
Anne dares to go out with only her cloak on over her nightgown.
[image error]

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Excellent narration by the always versatile and elegant Rosalyn Landor , who certainly kicked this up a notch. I will admit that I had to increase the speed from 1X to 1.25X, as it was just a tad slow. Though secondary characters, I loved the banter between all the Smythe-Smith cousins, Elizabeth, Harriet, Frances, and Daisy; Ms. Landor manages to keep them all sounding differen...more
Nisha
Oops. I wasn't supposed to finish it today, but I guess it was inevitable. There was no way I was going to be able to read it in small chunks over a period of a week, especially when I wasn't planning to anything especially exciting today.

We already sorta met Daniel and Anne in book 1. Daniel had just returned from his exile while the beautiful Anne seems to be serving her own exile as the governess for 3 of the Symthe-Smith girls. This book starts with some details about how Daniel got kicked o...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I have always been a Julia Quinn fan and with this book, I am reminded of why I loved her work. A NIGHT LIKE THIS goes back to what Quinn is known for. It opens with a fun scene with Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead and sets up the reason why Daniel left for so many years.
When he returns, Daniel is a changed man. After all, having your life threatened can do that to you. Time has done him good because he has matured. No longer the impulsive and brazen youth, Daniel shows a great amount of g...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Meagan
One thing I enjoyed about Quinn's previous books are that they are highly character-driven; there is often little plot, and little world-building (these being wallpaper historicals), but the books are still engaging purely because of the character development, and the development of the relationship between hero and heroine. My reading preferences are such that I take this development of the characters and their relationship to be THE key element in a romance.

The reason why I think Quinn's newer...more
Sophie Barnes
Daniel Smythe-Smith, the Earl of Winstead, returns from his three year absence from England, arriving home on the evening of the yearly Smythe-Smith musicale. Before he even manages to make his presence known to his family, he stumbles upon a mysterious woman - a lady more lovely thank any other he's ever seen before (sigh =) ) - and, forgetting himself completely, he unexpectedly kisses her.
Their little encounter is brought to an abrupt end by the incident that many of you may remember from 'J...more
Dianne
A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Anne is a governess and Daniel is a recently returned from exile, Earl. When they meet at a Smythe-Smith musicale, some small sparks start flying. We know as well as they that nothing can be done about these sparks; after all think of the class system in England - an Earl and a Governess? Well stranger things have happened and so the story begins!

We learn a lot about Daniels’ exile and return very early in this book, but we don’t learn anything about Anne until...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
A NIGHT LIKE THIS is the second book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet series and, although I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the first book JUST LIKE HEAVEN, it still combines all the elements that make Julia Quinn an absolute favourite of mine. I always know that I’m going to be drawn into her captivating world full of wonderful, loveable, quirky characters.

I completely fell for Daniel's charm and wicked sense of humour. He’s someone who has learned from his past mistakes and takes his responsibili...more
Lisa
Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead, has been in a self imposed exile for three years after a drunken card game got out of control and he ends up shooting his good friend, Hugh. He has been constantly looking over his shoulder, guarding his life against Hugh's father who vowed to kill him for damaging his son. When Hugh tracks him down one day to say it is safe to return home finally, Daniel does and arrives just in time for the annual Smythe-Smith quartet musicale. He is intrigued by the love...more
Lynsey A
After a slow start I really got into this book. It was a sweet love story and I do like how Daniel loved Anne from the beginning although he didn't realize it. It was something new for him and came on gradually and was then just there. I liked it.

There was a little bit of ping-pong conversations but not enough to annoy me.

It is definitely a fast read and a nice way to spend an afternoon. It isn't one of my favorite Julia Quinn reads, that is When He Was Wicked, but was still an enjoyable read.
Anachronist

Once upon a time an English aristocrat called Daniel returned home from three years of wandering abroad. You see, he was hiding from another aristocrat who wanted to kill him. Ok, never mind. As soon as he returned he saw a beautiful girl. "She was petite, small in that way that made a man want to slay dragons".I don't doubt she looked like this:

Oh no, sorry, wrong picture. She was of course looking like this:

Nononono, wrong picture again. Ok, I am pretty sure she looked more like t
Lelyana
Daniel Smythe-Smith, lelaki terkeren keluarga Smythe -Smith nih... *mendesah mendamba*

Anna Wynter , governess keluarga bibi Daniel, sudah 8 tahun di asingkan keluarga nya karena kebodohannya di usia 16 tahun...16 tahun? Hmmm..keluarga seperti apa yg mengusir dan mengasingkan anak gadis yg diperalat laki2 sialan yg cuma menginginkan her virtue tanpa menikahinya, malah menghina, karena Anne bukan dari keluarga ningrat.
Anne yang patah hati diasingkan entah kemana, setelah sempat menggores wajah ta...more
Susan
Very fun book. Anne is working as a governess to three young ladies. It's not the life she thought she'd have, but it is certainly interesting. It gets more interesting with the arrival of the Earl of Winstead. After spending the last three years exiled from England he's really glad to be home, even more so after seeing the beautiful Anne. He's determined to pursue her but somebody wants him dead and that danger spills over onto her.

I really liked both Anne and Daniel. Eight years earlier Anne,...more
Tina

Although Julia's Quinn's Bridgerton series is written with great undertones of humor, this book seemed more broadly funny than any other books of hers that I can remember.

It starts off with Daniel Smythe-Smith drunkenly and accidentally winning a hand of cards. Accidentally, because Daniel is an indifferent card player whereas his opponent, Hugh, can count cards and is sure that Daniel could only have won if he'd cheated. This leads to pistols at dawn where Daniel again, accidentally sh...more
Gabriella *is awesome*
adorable read ! i loved the chemistry between or two leads,DANIEL AND ANNE....

its been a pretty long time since ive picked julia quinn recently but for some reason this,book..its characters and its plot well i kinna felt like it was a mix of the bridgerton series...especially..# 3

description

so if u loved Benedict and Sophia ? u'll love this !

its a one-time read..but a definite fun one.
Lisa
Another Julia Quinn gem and just another reason she is one of my favorite historical romance authors.
Michelle (Michelle&Leslie's Book Picks)
Won a physical copy on 2/2013 from Avon.

2.5/5 stars
Had some issues with it, like I did not like the love/lust a first sight thing and the first 2/3 of the book was just blah.

I would've also liked a relationship between the hero's mother and the heroine (the mom just instantly accepted the heroine for her son without meeting her and it was unbelievable because the hero's family didn't know anything about the heroine).

Overall, it was just okay--it kept my attention especially the last third of the...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Much like the first in the series, Just Like Heaven, this is a charming and easy read. The Smythe-Smith Quartet is shaping up nicely to become a must-read - which is something that doesn't often happen for me with this type of romance novelish book. A Night Like This is a light-hearted and thoroughly charming novel with two very likeable and compatible leads in Daniel and Anne (and scene-stealers in Frances, Elizabeth and Harriet.) There's much more...more
Sarah (saz101)
Julia Quinn is like crack to me.

I finish one book, and I'm instantly in withdrawl... think, reads all eight Bridgerton books in, like, a week, then cries for more kind of crazy-obsessed.

But, here's the thing: I didn't think A Night Like This was going to do it for me. And I was sad, especially so, given the first book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet, 'Just Like Heaven' was, in fact, my first Quinn. And I adored it.

Yep. I was wrong.
Egg, meet face.

A Night Like This is a pure and simple rainbows and su...more
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae (The Cynster Sisters Trilogy #3)
  • Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3)
  • Seduced by a Pirate (Fairy Tales, #4.5)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Taming an Impossible Rogue (Scandalous Brides, #2)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

“Love is blind,” Harriet quipped.

“But not illiterate,” Elizabeth retorted.”
41 likes
“He said he loved me,” she whispered.

Daniel swallowed, and he had the strangest sensation, almost a premonition of what it must like to be a parent.

Someday, God willing, he’d have a daughter, and that daughter would look like the woman standing in front of him, and if ever she looked at him with that bewildered expression, whispering, “He said he loved me . . .”

Nothing short of murder would be an acceptable response.”
28 likes