Start by marking “Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)” as Want to Read:
Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)

Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,499 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
It takes a cat to write the purr-fect mystery.

Things have been pretty exciting lately in Crozet, Virginia—a little too exciting if you ask resident feline investigator Mrs. Murphy. Just as the town starts to buzz over its Civil War reenactment, a popular local man disappears. No one's seen Tommy Van Allen's single-engine plane, either—except for Mrs. Murphy, who spotted it
Published April 2000 by Bantam Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cat on the Scent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat on the Scent

Christyn
Cat on the Scent is not my favorite Mrs. Murphy book. I just felt that this book wasn't quite as - focused or interesting as some of the others in the series. I figured out parts of the mystery but it wasn't difficult - what really irritated me is that the villainous parties just got away scot-free. I mean, I realize this happens in real life but if we're talking about reality - what about the animals ability to not only understand but be able to drive a stick shift? I really wanted to see them ...more
Marti
Mar 07, 2015 Marti rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, cozy-mystery
With most cozy series, my enjoyment increases with each one. However, in this series, that has not been the case. I found this novel ridiculous and even annoying. Ms. Brown put far too much of her own far right wing political views in for one thing. I might as well have been reading Ayn Rand! Then, too, the antics of the animals went too far into the stuff of fantasy for my tastes. Perhaps the greatest sin of all, however, is that there was no resolution or perhaps it was that the resolution was ...more
M Harris
Jan 22, 2016 M Harris rated it it was ok
Well, the police did not get this one. So they pretty much let two (sort of 3) murders go without a fight. Disappointing. Well, this book didn't have a lot of suspense, and you know Sarah had to be involved and then H. Vane-Tempest to because the rest were dropping like flies. Not an ending I enjoyed. The part with the animals driving the Porche to Harry was my favorite by far! That part was great!
Jessie
Sep 02, 2015 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the book where you start meeting some real crazies who (MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!) get away with certain crimes. This is a first and while that's real life, it didn't sit well with me. I want justice to prevail! But then again, you don't know whether the crazies will come back in the future to finish what they've started...
Virginia
Nov 18, 2013 Virginia rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book, but the ending felt a bit unfinished. Also, the author got into much more personal political opinions than was necessary or interesting.
Nancy
Mar 31, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been more enjoyable had the plot been tighter and had the book not been peppered with gratuitous Libertarian claptrap.
Amanda McBreen
Aug 28, 2015 Amanda McBreen rated it it was ok
Not her best. Others are better by Rita Mae. The audio is fun to listen to.
Laurel Bradshaw
Not a review. These notes are for my own reference and may contain spoilers!

Reread on audio.

Takes place in May. Harry is "in her 30s".

Plot involves a Civil War re-enactment. Blair is involved in a scheme to buy up property to sell water to the county. The murderer is revealed to the readers, but otherwise gets away with the crime. Rita Mae Brown seems more preachy than usual in this "episode." Lots of Bible verses quoted.

New characters: Tally Urquhart, Mim's aunt. She has a secret which is uncov
Kate
I had this particular series confused with the "The Cat Who..." books, and hadn't really heard of these books. Apparently, they center around a small cadre of animals who live in a little Virginia town in Albemarle County with the post mistress. Crimes happen in Crozet, and the animals are a step ahead of the humans in solving them. The leader of the animals seems to be a large cat named Mrs. Murphy, and she has a couple of other animals, a cat called Pewter, and a corgi called Tucker, with whom ...more
Baseni
Mar 02, 2011 Baseni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimis
"Virginia war das Hauptkampfgebiet während des amerikanischen Bürgerkrieges, deshalb ist es nicht verwunderlich, daß die Einwohner von Crozet sich dem Reenactment der Schlachten verpflichtet fühlen. Mit allem ausgerüstet zieht man in den Kampf, nur daß ein Opfer mit drei Schüssen im Rücken verletzt auf dem Felde bleibt, war so nicht geplant. Da dem Schlachtgetümmel ein ähnliches in einer öffentlichen Ausschußsitzung des Stadtrates vorangegangen war, das Opfer hatte sich hier mit seinem Kontrahen ...more
Knight
Lora Shouse
Jul 10, 2016 Lora Shouse rated it it was amazing
It seems like there is a murder in the tiny town of Crozet, Virginia every couple of months. Yet, somehow you feel safe there.

Perhaps that is because Crozet’s postmistress, Harry Haristeen, her two cats, Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, and her Corgi, Tee Tucker, are right on every case helping to solve it as soon as they hear about it. In fact, in the town of Crozet all the leading citizens come to take an interest in mysterious deaths of this sort, keeping an ear out for gossip and an eye out for suspi
Xyra
Sep 13, 2011 Xyra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery readers who love animals
I love this series!
This installment was very interesting with all the twists and turns. My guess and the guilty party was slightly off, but not by far.
Harry and her entourage are wonderful characters with great interaction between animals and humans. The revelation Harry makes at the end is one with which I wholeheartedly agree.
These characters are very homey and comfortable; they've found a place in my heart and at one point tears pricked my eyes for one.
One of my favorite lines in this book i
Oceana2602
Jul 14, 2007 Oceana2602 rated it really liked it
I know, I know. Not exactly what you'd call great literature. But I love her cat series! They are all crime stories, usually a murder or two, or so many that I wonder how Crozet, Virginia, has still inhabitants left after five or six years of murders and mystery. The writing is, uhm, plain is the right word I think. Not plain as in simple language, but there isn't much that can be said about the language. It just serves as a tool to tell the stories, and the stories are always good. I love all h ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Sep 13, 2011 Georgiann Hennelly rated it really liked it
Things have been pretty exciting in Crozet Virginia. Just as the town starts to buzz over its civil war reenactment . a popular local man disappears. and no ones seen Tommy Van Allens single engine plane either- except for Mrs Murphy , who spotted it during a foggy evenings mousing hunt. But things really take an ugly turn when the town reenactacts the battle of Oak Ridge -and a participant ends up with three bullets in his back. While the clever tiger cat and her pals sift through clues that j ...more
Paul Lunger
Aug 02, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it
From 1999, this entry in the Rita Mae Brown series is actually one of the more entertaining entries which has a nice mixture of human, animal & plot interactions. This story revolves around the disappearance of Tommy Van Allen's plane & the world of mogul H. Vane-Tempest. When a murder happens at a Civil War re-enactment things get even more interesting for our characters. Brown's story is very plot driven & the balance which at times is missing between all the characters. Mrs. Murph ...more
Pearl Drolet
May 07, 2013 Pearl Drolet rated it it was amazing
What a nice and relaxing mystery! I do not know how Rita does it, but she makes provincial America so likeable although she always describes hideous crimes. And in addition the ending might be frustrating for some, but such is life. It happens all the time in reality. And then the animals: I like their subtly described characters; they seem to be alive and much smarter than humans. You forget they are animals. They play a decisive dramatic role in her novels. A splendid idea!
I recommend the book
Sep 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
The 7th entry in Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy mystery series is one of the more interesting reads. While I enjoy all of the books in this series, they are fairly easy reads with quite a bit of "preaching" and the mystery is usually obvious. However, this book has quite a few more twists and turns than the earlier entries, and the ending is definitely a departure. If you love cozy mysteries, this book will not disappoint. Additionally, while this novel could stand on its own, it would be much mor ...more
Natalie
May 24, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
The main character Harry has a cat, Mrs. Murphy and a dog, Tucker. Throughout the book, the dog and cat talk, investigate the murder and also act like dogs and cats. At first it was distracting, however, by the middle of the book I thought it was charming. This is the first of the many books she has written with these characters and style. I will probably read more of them. They are set in rural Virginia, an area that I visited when I lived in Virginia and can picture easily. Easy summer reading ...more
Heather
Aug 09, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
After reading the latest in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, I needed something light to read. This was my second Mrs. Murphy book, and I really enjoyed it. These books are definitely "fluff" books. They're silly with the animals talking and all, but they're really entertaining, especially for cat lovers. If you want some light reading and are an animal lover, I recommend a Mrs. Murphy mystery!
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 17, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Civil War reenactments can be fun to watch, as long as there are no real bullets. But when some one takes three live rounds in the back, that gets Harry's attention. Now she may only be the post mistress but she can raise a lot of fuss with her three animal friends Tee Tucker, SneakiePie and Mrs Murphy, who have also spotted a downed plane, someone else has gone missing 3 days ago, and only they know where the plane is!
George
Oct 12, 2007 George rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Mystery featuring "Harry" Haristeen and her two cats and Welsh corgi mystery. Added by her three pets, "Harry" finds herself in middle of a mystery involving murder and behind the scenes activities by several people. Her pets, led by her cat, Mrs. Murphy, play a prominent role in the story with much dialogue between the animals. The story is set in rural present day Virginia featuring local characters and Southern manners.
Kelley Ross
To be honest, this book started out terribly and was a lot slower than other mysteries I have read by the same author. After the fifth chapter things started to pick up and I was pulled into the storyline like usual, and from there on out I enjoyed the mystery. I particularly thought the bit at the end when Harry realizes that her animals might just be sentient, in a different way than humans.
Islay
Jul 29, 2015 Islay added it
I have read a good portion of the Mrs. Murphy series and have enjoyed them all. They are wonderful light reading and Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown write with a lovely sense of humor. The characters are engaging and the you always learn a little something about the south with every book. Great books to get your mind off your troubles.
Marjorie
Oct 31, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Appealing characters. My one complaint is, having never read any of her mysteries before, that a character was suddenly brought up who obviously had some sort of history with a main character but the author didn't explain what it was until page 62. Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Racy-tay
Mar 20, 2010 Racy-tay rated it liked it
I'm told I should be embarrassed by reading so many silly Rita Mae Brown books, but the truth is that I really enjoy them. It's my version of watching tv, entertainment without using my brain, a lovely means of procrastination... Keep your American Idol or whatever, I have a sleepy little town in VA called Crozet where the townsfolk keep solving murders.
Nov 07, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
This is a pretty entertaining addition to the Sneaky Pie Brown series. It starts off a little slower than some of the other books, but it does pick up and give you a pretty entertaining story. As usual for these novels, they aren't going to win any awards, but they are oddly addictive and a pleasure to read.
Arminzerella
Michelle Beteta
May 28, 2016 Michelle Beteta rated it really liked it
If you love to read mysteries and series and if you are an animal lover (a preference for cats doesn't hurt), you will love the Mrs. Murphy Murder Mysteries. The books are fun and easy to read. The author allows the reader to continue getting to know the characters that are recurring throughout the book series in funny, quirky plots - animals and humans alike.
Leslie
Oct 13, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Still a fun read, although the thing with the animals got a little TOO whimsical before the end. Harry, the main character is still working at the post office. I like the different viewpoints about Civil War reenactment and the murder mystery was pretty interesting.
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)

“When God made man she was practicing.” 199 likes