Start by marking “Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)” as Want to Read:
Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)

Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,986 ratings  ·  63 reviews
It takes a cat to write the purr-fect mystery.

Things have been pretty exciting lately in Crozet, Virginia—a little too exciting if you ask resident feline investigator Mrs. Murphy. Just as the town starts to buzz over its Civil War reenactment, a popular local man disappears. No one's seen Tommy Van Allen's single-engine plane, either—except for Mrs. Murphy, who spotted it
Published April 2000 by Bantam Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cat on the Scent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat on the Scent

Perfume by Patrick SüskindChocolat by Joanne HarrisThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Smells
63rd out of 245 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Christyn
Cat on the Scent is not my favorite Mrs. Murphy book. I just felt that this book wasn't quite as - focused or interesting as some of the others in the series. I figured out parts of the mystery but it wasn't difficult - what really irritated me is that the villainous parties just got away scot-free. I mean, I realize this happens in real life but if we're talking about reality - what about the animals ability to not only understand but be able to drive a stick shift? I really wanted to see them ...more
Knight
Xyra
Jul 10, 2012 Xyra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery readers who love animals
I love this series!
This installment was very interesting with all the twists and turns. My guess and the guilty party was slightly off, but not by far.
Harry and her entourage are wonderful characters with great interaction between animals and humans. The revelation Harry makes at the end is one with which I wholeheartedly agree.
These characters are very homey and comfortable; they've found a place in my heart and at one point tears pricked my eyes for one.
One of my favorite lines in this book i
Kate
I had this particular series confused with the "The Cat Who..." books, and hadn't really heard of these books. Apparently, they center around a small cadre of animals who live in a little Virginia town in Albemarle County with the post mistress. Crimes happen in Crozet, and the animals are a step ahead of the humans in solving them. The leader of the animals seems to be a large cat named Mrs. Murphy, and she has a couple of other animals, a cat called Pewter, and a corgi called Tucker, with whom ...more
Baseni
"Virginia war das Hauptkampfgebiet während des amerikanischen Bürgerkrieges, deshalb ist es nicht verwunderlich, daß die Einwohner von Crozet sich dem Reenactment der Schlachten verpflichtet fühlen. Mit allem ausgerüstet zieht man in den Kampf, nur daß ein Opfer mit drei Schüssen im Rücken verletzt auf dem Felde bleibt, war so nicht geplant. Da dem Schlachtgetümmel ein ähnliches in einer öffentlichen Ausschußsitzung des Stadtrates vorangegangen war, das Opfer hatte sich hier mit seinem Kontrahen ...more
Oceana2602
I know, I know. Not exactly what you'd call great literature. But I love her cat series! They are all crime stories, usually a murder or two, or so many that I wonder how Crozet, Virginia, has still inhabitants left after five or six years of murders and mystery. The writing is, uhm, plain is the right word I think. Not plain as in simple language, but there isn't much that can be said about the language. It just serves as a tool to tell the stories, and the stories are always good. I love all h ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Things have been pretty exciting in Crozet Virginia. Just as the town starts to buzz over its civil war reenactment . a popular local man disappears. and no ones seen Tommy Van Allens single engine plane either- except for Mrs Murphy , who spotted it during a foggy evenings mousing hunt. But things really take an ugly turn when the town reenactacts the battle of Oak Ridge -and a participant ends up with three bullets in his back. While the clever tiger cat and her pals sift through clues that j ...more
Paul Lunger
From 1999, this entry in the Rita Mae Brown series is actually one of the more entertaining entries which has a nice mixture of human, animal & plot interactions. This story revolves around the disappearance of Tommy Van Allen's plane & the world of mogul H. Vane-Tempest. When a murder happens at a Civil War re-enactment things get even more interesting for our characters. Brown's story is very plot driven & the balance which at times is missing between all the characters. Mrs. Murph ...more
Pearl Drolet
What a nice and relaxing mystery! I do not know how Rita does it, but she makes provincial America so likeable although she always describes hideous crimes. And in addition the ending might be frustrating for some, but such is life. It happens all the time in reality. And then the animals: I like their subtly described characters; they seem to be alive and much smarter than humans. You forget they are animals. They play a decisive dramatic role in her novels. A splendid idea!
I recommend the book
Nancy
This book would have been more enjoyable had the plot been tighter and had the book not been peppered with gratuitous Libertarian claptrap.
The 7th entry in Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy mystery series is one of the more interesting reads. While I enjoy all of the books in this series, they are fairly easy reads with quite a bit of "preaching" and the mystery is usually obvious. However, this book has quite a few more twists and turns than the earlier entries, and the ending is definitely a departure. If you love cozy mysteries, this book will not disappoint. Additionally, while this novel could stand on its own, it would be much mor ...more
Minervaking
This was the first time Id read a book in this series and I didn't like it too much. I read it on a CD. Maybe it was too much to hear cats and animals talking.
Natalie
The main character Harry has a cat, Mrs. Murphy and a dog, Tucker. Throughout the book, the dog and cat talk, investigate the murder and also act like dogs and cats. At first it was distracting, however, by the middle of the book I thought it was charming. This is the first of the many books she has written with these characters and style. I will probably read more of them. They are set in rural Virginia, an area that I visited when I lived in Virginia and can picture easily. Easy summer reading ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Civil War reenactments can be fun to watch, as long as there are no real bullets. But when some one takes three live rounds in the back, that gets Harry's attention. Now she may only be the post mistress but she can raise a lot of fuss with her three animal friends Tee Tucker, SneakiePie and Mrs Murphy, who have also spotted a downed plane, someone else has gone missing 3 days ago, and only they know where the plane is!
George
Oct 12, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Mystery featuring "Harry" Haristeen and her two cats and Welsh corgi mystery. Added by her three pets, "Harry" finds herself in middle of a mystery involving murder and behind the scenes activities by several people. Her pets, led by her cat, Mrs. Murphy, play a prominent role in the story with much dialogue between the animals. The story is set in rural present day Virginia featuring local characters and Southern manners.
Heather
After reading the latest in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, I needed something light to read. This was my second Mrs. Murphy book, and I really enjoyed it. These books are definitely "fluff" books. They're silly with the animals talking and all, but they're really entertaining, especially for cat lovers. If you want some light reading and are an animal lover, I recommend a Mrs. Murphy mystery!
Kelley Ross
To be honest, this book started out terribly and was a lot slower than other mysteries I have read by the same author. After the fifth chapter things started to pick up and I was pulled into the storyline like usual, and from there on out I enjoyed the mystery. I particularly thought the bit at the end when Harry realizes that her animals might just be sentient, in a different way than humans.
Racy-tay
I'm told I should be embarrassed by reading so many silly Rita Mae Brown books, but the truth is that I really enjoy them. It's my version of watching tv, entertainment without using my brain, a lovely means of procrastination... Keep your American Idol or whatever, I have a sleepy little town in VA called Crozet where the townsfolk keep solving murders.
Betty
I wanted to like this book so much more than I actually did since the setting takes place less than 1/2 hour from where I live, but it was just okay. I would read more from this author but would not go out of my way to do so.
This is a pretty entertaining addition to the Sneaky Pie Brown series. It starts off a little slower than some of the other books, but it does pick up and give you a pretty entertaining story. As usual for these novels, they aren't going to win any awards, but they are oddly addictive and a pleasure to read.
Marjorie
Enjoyable. Appealing characters. My one complaint is, having never read any of her mysteries before, that a character was suddenly brought up who obviously had some sort of history with a main character but the author didn't explain what it was until page 62. Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Claudia
This was bad. Boy was this bad. This was embarrassingly bad. It was so bad it took me two weeks to read the 200+ pages. That's pretty bad. And I finished it more out of sense of guilt than interest. Plus it helped with insomnia.

I can't begin to express how bad this was.
Michele
Sep 17, 2008 Michele rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who hate themselves, but love cats.
Recommended to Michele by: Abby Williams
How can I describe what I feel about books co-authored by cats...
hmmmm...
well...
If negative stars existed I would give them to this book. I fully support Abby--fellow SSBC member--when she said, "Let's take more than five minutes picking out a book next time." Agreed.
Jan
Set in Crozer, VA, various mrders seem to involve Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen. Part of the "horsy" set, she and her pets solve the mysteries. One of the fun parts of this series is that the animals talk among themselves and scheme to let Harry "know" helpful bits.
Leslie
Still a fun read, although the thing with the animals got a little TOO whimsical before the end. Harry, the main character is still working at the post office. I like the different viewpoints about Civil War reenactment and the murder mystery was pretty interesting.
Sean Kennedy
Not the best Mrs Murphy book, but certainly one with a different ending, which may work to its disadvantage when you read a 'cozy mystery' book for certain tropes. Some people may feel disappointed that not everybody gets their just desserts in the end.
Keith
Fun book. I have a little problem with some of the escapades of the animals. The descriptions of the people and countryside are enjoyable. This is the second Mrs. Murphy book I have read and I think I will weak out others.
Fishercat
A good light read, I enjoyed the use of the animals for social commentary. This book has an uncommon ending which makes it an atypical mystery. This is a book that I will reread at a later date.
Bonnie Hudon
I love this author, she proves that literature can be interesting and exciting without swearing and explicit sexual content. I really enjoy reading her books and plan on reading them all.
Dharma
It was an easy read but seemed to move slowly into the true meat of the mystery. About 3/4 through the pace picked up. Nice that the ending didn't exactly tie things up neatly.
  • The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who... #20)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.
More about Rita Mae Brown...
Rubyfruit Jungle Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5) Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3) Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

“When God made man she was practicing.” 173 likes