Start by marking “Kohtalon miekka (The Witcher – Noituri, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kohtalon miekka (The Witcher – Noituri, #2)

Kohtalon miekka (The Witcher #2)

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,922 Ratings  ·  462 Reviews
”Kohtalon miekassa on kaksi terää. Toinen niistä olet sinä.”

Hän ei ole vaeltava ritari eikä kylmä ja aivoton tappaja. Geralt Rivialainen on noituri, palkkasoturi. Hän saa maksun surmaamalla majatalojen takapihoilla ja sammaleisten metsien siimeksessä lymyäviä mutantteja: uhrinsa psyyken kopioivia miimikoita, helmenkalastajia teurastavia merihirviöitä, kenties jopa kultaise
Published 2011 by WSOY (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kohtalon miekka, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Julie Most illustrators/designers of book covers don't have time to read the book, they only work from a synopsis - the details (like hair colour in this…moreMost illustrators/designers of book covers don't have time to read the book, they only work from a synopsis - the details (like hair colour in this case) are usually lost. It's probably no one related to the book.(less)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/12/17/a...

Sword of Destiny is a collection of short stories featuring Geralt of Rivia, and it is actually the second book in The Witcher sequence. But because the English editions of the series’ first three full-length novels were released before this one (not to mention I was also pretty adamant about waiting for the audiobook, which wasn’t released until December 2015), I had to read it out of order.

Now that I’ve completed the boo
Fredrik
Dec 08, 2014 Fredrik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in swedish (called Ödets Svärd - Sword of Destiny) and let me just say;

WOW. Sapkowski, you f-ing rule.

It doesn't seem like the Swedish publishers will publish any more Sapkowskibooks, and all I can say is; Your Loss, man.

Luckily, the Witcher Saga is available in English!

Everything about this book is awesome, from the characters to the world, to the humor and the fighting scenes. Geralt is a true badass, although he tries not to act like one. And his, kind of tragic, love story w
Althea Ann
Jan 18, 2016 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bounds of Reason
Rumor has quickly spread of a dragon on the loose, and an assorted group of warriors, wizards and scoundrels have assembled. Many are clearly there to slay the dragon and gain reward and treasure - but Geralt the witcher is also there, and he says he doesn't kill dragons. As the story unfolds, we discovers that others' motivations are also more varied than we might've guessed.

A Shard of Ice
In a dingy midden heap of a town, Geralt must compete with a powerful wizard for the af
Bokeshi
"Ovaj... Gosn Sapkovski?"

"Reci, mladiću."

"Imam jedno pitanje. Kakva te je boljka mučila tokom pisanja ove knjige? Depresija? Konstipacija? Da nije možda bila nejebica - ili čak prejebica? Mislim, ne bih da vređam, prva knjiga je bila stvarno sjajna, ali ovo silno patetisanje i ljubavisanje u drugoj je bilo na nivou fanfikšna neke nesrećno zacopane tinejdžerke."

"Neuki čitaoče, zar ne znaš da je najteže pisati o intimnim međuljudskim odnosima? Ti misliš da bi umeo bolje?"

"Ako ćemo iskreno, ja misl
Dusty
Aug 17, 2012 Dusty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
What a pleasant surprise. I've heard good things about the Witcher books, of which the Witcher video games are based on, and I wasn't disappointed. This collection of short stories is not available in an official English translation so I had to read the fan translations. I didn't know what to expect in terms of the quality of the translation, but it was actually very well done. They were in Word doc format and I combined them and created a single Mobi file for the Kindle which turned out quite n ...more
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 16, 2014 Jennifer Melzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have become so emotionally attached to these characters over the last few years. By the time I got to the end of the last story in the Sword of Destiny I had a pile of tissues on the table beside me.

These stories were missing, little bits and pieces of the story in the fog, but wow... Just wow. Filling in those empty spaces was like coming home through memories you almost forgot were the greatest part of who you were, are and will one day be.
Patremagne
Jan 29, 2016 Patremagne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
"It's like they said! Geralt! it's like they said! Am I your destiny? Say it! Am I your destiny?"

"You're much more than that, Ciri. Much more."

Fuck. Too many feels in these past two audiobooks.
Knjigoholičarka
Jedne večeri se Džon Grin i Paolo Koeljo otkinuli od Rubinovog Vinjaka i odlučili da pišu fantastiku pošto tu sad leži lova. "Ti dnapišeš onaj 'lozofski deo one... one... 'nutrašnje mono-loooge... i spoljašnje...kaksezovu", zapetlja Grin jezikom, "a ja ćdnapišem ljubvne priče i dialogitakoto". "Ae", reče Koeljo, pre nego što je glavom opalio o već lepljivi sto i skotrljao se na pod bifea "Čep".

I tako je nastala ova knjiga.
Joseph
Jun 18, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Witcher series and, like the first book (The Last Wish, although I think Sword of Destiny might have been published first; this is all very complicated), it's a collection of mostly longish short stories about a day in the life of a Witcher, to wit Geralt of Rivia. Almost all of the stories involve a Witcher's normal day-to-day business -- find some monster that's eating the local peasants, kill the monster, get paid for it -- but several of them also introduce cha ...more
Mladen
Feb 07, 2015 Mladen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kao i prva knjiga - brzo, osvežavajuće, bez opterećujućeg razvlačenja, s malo više humora i mnogo bolje osmišljenim celinama/pričama.
Utkana poznata mitologija, to jest poznata bića ne ostavljaju utisak prežvakavanja već poznatog jer su preoblikovana u skladu s pričama - odlično utkana u piščev svet koji mi se, kako čitanje odmiče, sve više dopada.
Za razliku od nekih drugih serijala, koji su mi se smučili na drugoj knjizi jer vode u beskrajno prežvakavanje po svetovima koji sa svakim poglavljem
fenrir
Aug 18, 2015 fenrir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
'Nella mia ballata la sirena si sacrifica per il principe, cambia la coda da pesce in due belle gambe ma a prezzo della perdita della voce. Il principe la tradisce, la abbandona e allora lei muore di dolore e si trasforma in spuma del mare mentre i primi raggi di sole...'
'Chi crederà mai a queste frottole?!'

'La spada del destino' di Andrzej Sapkowski è il primo libro della saga di 'The Witcher' che leggo, ma conosco le storie dello strigo Geralt di Riva perché sono una grande fan dei videogiochi
Kelly
May 23, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts, fantasy
Not quite the epic journey of the first collection, but perhaps a little more heart.

The Sword Of Destiny is the second collection of stories by Andrzej Sapkowski following the adventures of the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia. The release of this volume has been highly anticipated, not just because there will never be enough stories about Geralt, but because this is the first time this particular collection has been translated into English. Now, English-speaking fans of the Witcher can celebrate the r
Liz
Mar 01, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wonder whether my heart will survive the encounter with all the following books.
Mark Halse
Feb 13, 2016 Mark Halse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more stories I read about Geralt of Rivia the more I love him. The best thing about these stories is that the characters are so very real despite living in a fairy tale world.

I liked this set of short stories a little better. In THE LAST WISH the only thing holding the stories together was that they all starred Geralt. In this book the stories were connected by more and seemed to lead to something.

The thing I love most about Geralt is how honest he is as a character. Sometimes he's a selfis
Unai
May 06, 2015 Unai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hace algunos años leí la primera parte de las historias de Geralt de Rivia. No seguí con ello porque el formato de recopilaciones de historias no suele ser de mi agrado y esta saga empieza no con uno, sino con dos libros de historias cortas antes de entrar en harina. Pero todo tiene su momento y como no puedo con la vida esperando que salga el juego Witcher III, voy a ir calmando el hype leyendo la saga. Recientemente he jugado el Witcher II y es que sencillamente me interesa la historia, los pe ...more
Nailya
Aug 18, 2014 Nailya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't find the first book here, so here is my short review of both.

I've read the first two volumes a while ago, so I don't reme them that well. What I do remember is just how amazing they are. The first two volumes consist of a series if short stories about the same character - the Witcher Geralt - a mutant who travels around a brutal fantasy world and kills monsters for money. The moment you think that it sounds like a novelisation of an average video-game would be your biggest fantasy-rel
мεgяεร.
Aug 29, 2015 мεgяεร. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ci sono alcune cose che non capisco ancora di questo libro.
Se la madre di Gerald era una maga/strega come ha fatto a rimanere incinta? Per tutto il libro ripete che strighi e maghe sono sterili e yennefer si dispera perché non potrà avere figli e poi puff! questa riesce ad averne senza nemmeno volerlo. Comunque, perché l'ha abbandonato? Aveva tutte le possibilità del mondo, poteva dargli una vita favolosa e lo vende agli strighi sapendo che 4 su 10 sopravvivono??
Quanto è insopportabile Occhietto
Zaratoth
Sep 08, 2013 Zaratoth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval-fantasy
Awesome sequel to "The Last Wish". It doesn't have here a main story like "The Voice of Reason" which acts as a reason for different side stories. In this one there are stories in a chronological order covering a couple of years or so with the stories concerning mainly the weird romance between Yennefer and Geralt in the first half and the story of Geralt and Ciri in the second half. The book ends almost where the sequel "Blood of Elves" started.
This was an awesome book, continuing the style of
Pablo Bueno
Apr 02, 2016 Pablo Bueno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“La Espada del destino” sigue de una manera bastante fiel el planteamiento que ya se mostraba en “El último deseo”. No obstante, me ha gustado más. Quizá por la mayor profundidad o, para ser más precisos, por la mayor ambición de suma, de construir una historia más grande. En este segundo libo de la saga encontramos una obra más armada, no solo una serie de relatos sueltos; aquí también se ilustra al brujo en narraciones cortas, sí, pero son como mosaicos que, al juntarlos, crean algo superior a ...more
Isaac Clarke
Dec 05, 2015 Isaac Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
საპკოვსკის წიგნების ერთი ძალიან მაგარი თვისება აქვს: თავიდან ბოლომდე გადაგაგდებს თავის სამყაროში და წიგნის დამთავრების შემდეგაც რამოდენიმე დღე იქ ცხოვრობ. არც ბედისწერის მახვილი იყო გამონაკლისი. შეიძლება არ გიყვებოდეს რაიმე განსაკუთრებულს, მაგრამ ის ატმოსფერო რომელიც წიგნშია გამეფებული თავიდან ბოლომდე გითრევს და იძულებულს გხდის იქაურ წესებს დაემორჩილო. სწორედ ამიტომ არის საპკოვსკი ერთ-ერთი უდიდესი ფენტეზი ავტორი.

არ შემიძლია მთარგმნელის და რედატორის ძალიან მაგარი ნამუშევარი არ აღვნიშნო. არცერთი
Giovanna
Dec 07, 2015 Giovanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La spada del destino mi è piaciuto decisamente di più del primo volume. Non si tratta di un romanzo anche in questo caso, ma di una raccolta di racconti, ma riuscendo a vedere di più il quadro generale che prende forma (aka la storyline di Ciri a quanto pare) ho apprezzato di più il libro in generale.

Belli tutti i racconti in sè, interessanti alcuni personaggi, meno altri. Continua a piacermi parecchio la ripresa delle favole tradizionali in alcuni racconti, che viene resa in maniera ironica ed
Sibil
Nov 18, 2015 Sibil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked more the first one, but it was also more original. The first one was a frame story while this one was "just" short stories. Usually I had some problems withs short stories but I loved this book. Geralt is soooooo good as main character and the writing of Sapkowski is wonderful, it's enchanting and you just can't stop to read. Wow!
Zoran
Oct 31, 2015 Zoran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
hmmm, ostaje još jedna šansa, da pročitam tu treću knjigu i da vidim hoću li nastaviti sa serijalom.
Moram da priznam da mi je ova knjiga nešto bolje legla od prve, i nekako malo pobudila znatiželju, obzirom da se priče prepliću. Videćemo kako je sa trećom :)
A već je krajnje vreme da goodreads uvede ocenu 0.5, tako bih ovo ocenio sa 2.5
Marta Conejo
Mar 04, 2015 Marta Conejo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tengo que admitir que este libro me gustó más que su anterior por el hecho de que poco a poco se van construyendo los personajes. Los dos primeros libros de la saga son como historias cortas con los mismos personajes, pero lo que vemos en ello es que hay una trama secundaria muy bien hilada. Geralt, el brujo sin sentimientos, es lo más monoso del mundo... y no esa monosidad que leemos en muchos de los libros actuales. Jaskier, fiel acompañante y mejor juglar, que siempre te acompañará con enseña ...more
Gerald
Apr 13, 2014 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another excellent collection of Sapkowski's short stories and introduces characters seen in the later novels. It is a bit more psychological and character-heavy than the stories in "The Last Wish" and explores things like the relationship between Geralt and Yennefer. This is a free download from the Internet Archive and was translated by fans. There is no official English publication of this collection and it seems unlikely there will ever be one.

M. Ashraf
The second part of The Witcher Saga.
It is very good, as a second hand translation in English from a French translation of the original language so yeah :) It is still good though!
I am here for the fantasy and I got ton of it, Dragons, Witcher, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Sirens, Knights... everything! so it is great!
I think this more ordered than the first book, though this one was published before it anyways, this was more organized the stories followed each other, and we continue on the Destiny child
Jordi Balcells
Con "Fuego eterno", voy entendiendo por qué me recomendaron Sapkowski si me gustó la visión de la economía (la compraventa, la bolsa, los créditos, los tributos) de Abercrombie en la trilogía "La primera ley". Maravillosa. "Un pequeño sacrificio" conviene leerla con pañuelos a mano porque incide en el sentimiento trágico-romántico con que se flagela el lobo blanco en "Esquirlas de hielo". En "Las fronteras de lo posible" se curra una caracterización, unos enredos y una subversión de tropos fantá ...more
annik
Ведьмак – совсем не легкое фэнтезийное чтиво, каким он мне запомнился по первому прочтению (полжизни прошло, елки). Рассредоточенность на несколько сюжетов, раскрывающихся в отдельных рассказах, оказалась настолько подкупающей, что я смаковала каждую новую историю и растягивала до пределов возможного, хотя иммерсия в этот мир гнала вперед будь здоров. В общем, я еще неделю отходила от второй книги о Ведьмаке – надо было осмыслить и выдохнуть.

Первые истории – шутливо-игривые, обыгрывающие старые
Lys
Aug 25, 2011 Lys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, e-book
La Spada del Destino ha due lame. Una sei tu, l'altra è la morte.

Se devo ancora trovare le parole per poter commentare Black Friars. L'Ordine della Chiave by Virginia De Winter (oltre che ribadire che a fine lettura si prova la stessa sensazione che rimirare Marat mezzo nudo), non è che per questa seconda raccolta di racconti vada molto meglio.
Al che il dubbio è lecito, magari il problema non è il libro ma sono io xD

Ma tagliamo corto il preambolo e veniamo al dunque: Sapkowski mi spiazza. In questo libro ancora più che nel precedente. Mi spiazza, e o
Adam
Apr 23, 2015 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I'll be damned if The Witcher isn't amazingly written. Short stories in a semi-order. Each one elucidates something that will make either a previous or new one hit harder. I hate Yen. I love Yen. I don't get how it's so perfect, but it is. And it ends with a laugh of joy.

But it's High Fantasy, it's not supposed to do that, right? I thought I was getting hack and slash, lies and trickery, that. Geralt makes me want to cry, and I can't choose happy, sad, or frustrated.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong ISBN 5 26 Feb 25, 2016 11:34PM
Goodreads Librari...: Fan-made translation 8 61 Jun 17, 2014 06:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: Fan translations 4 49 Jun 17, 2013 08:20AM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1
  • Młot na czarownice (Mordimer Madderdin, #2)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Limes inferior
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

The Witcher (7 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

“There is never a second opportunity to make a first impression.” 10 likes
“For me,” mused Dandelion, “a mattress without a young woman isn't a mattress at all. It is incomplete happiness...” 8 likes