Start by marking “Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue” as Want to Read:
Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue

Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue

3.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
“Truth arrives in microscopic increments, and when enough has accumulated–in a moment of recognition, you just know. You know because the truth fits. I was the only member of my family to lack the gene for numbers, but I do need things to add up. Approaching midlife, I became aware of a darkening feeling–was it something heavy on my heart, or was something missing? Gratefu ...more
Published August 24th 2004 by Random House (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Skywriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skywriting

Sandra Strange
In this autobiographical exploration, Jane Pauley, the network news and features commentator, records her memories of the years she spent climbing the ladder to the heights of daily TV. She explores her own psychological problems, as well, including her psychological breakdown and diagnosed bipolar disorder, speculating about the effects of her experiences—her family, childhood, teen years, and career. The narrative is unassuming, and that presents the problem. Her life, a life meeting and inter ...more
Rick Ludwig
Having suffered from severe, suicidal depression myself, I found great resonance in jane's experiences. her ability to view things with a writers detachment while still clearly conveying the impact on her life made this a very compelling read and should help others to face their own issues with depression.
Sydney Avey
Feb 02, 2016 Sydney Avey rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
There are many gems in this accessible memoir. From her first reveal--the onset of a bout with bi-polar disorder--to the Mihaly Csiksgentmihalyi quote on the last pages--"Many people don't know which elements of their lives cause stress and which they actually enjoy."--there is much the average person can identify with in Jane Pauley's experience. The book is full of hope and points to ponder. She shares words to help us frame our experience (purposeful wandering) and concepts to grapple with as ...more
Lucimar
Sep 18, 2012 Lucimar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this very honest account of her life and finally realizing she was bipolar. I totally appreciate the fact this book debunks alot of myths about what living with that diagnosis means.
Cyndy
Jan 25, 2011 Cyndy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I was kind of disappointed...she seemed to allude to a revelation about her family that never really happened. It was ok.
Jeff Crosby
Feb 13, 2014 Jeff Crosby rated it really liked it
"Skywriting" by the well-known NBC broadcast journalist Jane Pauley is an interesting read - especially for someone like me, who grew up in central Indiana and remembers her at the beginning of her career at WISH-TV Channel 8 in Indianapolis. The literary quality is impressive, and the vulnerability (especially about mental health) was somewhat disarming. If you've read her latest book "Your Life Calling" and enjoyed that, you might want to pick this earlier title up. The rare memoir of a celebr ...more
Louise
Nov 30, 2013 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, media
While bi-polarism introduces the book and recurs, the theme is really Jane's career.

Jane was catapulted to fame not by experience, her knowledge of public affairs, or even her rolodex, but by her looks, youth, midwestern charm and ability to make interesting conversation. She tells the story of this unmerited rise in a straight forward fashion. I remember Jane and Bryant as unrehearsed, positive, informed and amazingly entertaining. Despite the lack of a resume, she clearly rose to the occasion.
Ice
Jun 07, 2011 Ice rated it liked it
Shelves: auto-biography
Scott
Jun 04, 2012 Scott marked it as to-read
I always liked her and did a wikipedia search because i was wondering whatever became of her. Didn't know she wrote a memoir about depression/bipolar so i'm adding it to my reading list

from wikipedia:".

Pauley is known for revealing very little, if anything, of her private life, which made the disclosure of her bipolar disorder all the more unexpected. The timing of her announcement coincided with the release of her autobiography, Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue (2004) and the launch of her da
Roxanne
Jul 12, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This book is about the broadcast journalist Jane Pauley. She started out very young at a local station, then she was on NBC Today show and Dateline. She also hosted her own show. This is not just a book about her career but about the strong values and strenghts that kept her moving forward. She has suffered from bipolar disease and reminds us to keep things in proportion , and be aware of our health. Self knowledge can lighten our load in life.
Phyllis Jennings
Her last sentence sums it up: "There are no charmed lives,only lives."

It may be comforting for the rest of us mere mortals to know that a contemporary woman of Jane Pauley's stature has had her own challenges in life. It is fascinating to read about her almost accidental stumbling into the tremendous television network career she followed, along with raising a family. She's a genuine person through and through.
Ann Hein
Oct 31, 2015 Ann Hein rated it liked it
After hearing Jane speak a week ago, I found this very interesting. Written some time ago it tells of the early part of her career which started at nBC when she was 25! She'll be 65 soon. She became bipolar in her forties which was certainly significant in her life story.
Kathy Dieter
Feb 09, 2015 Kathy Dieter rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book as I grew up with Jane Pauley. Interesting to hear about her childhood on Indiana and rise to a TV fame. Very surprising her experiences with bipolar.
CJ
Feb 09, 2011 CJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
I like Jane Pauley, always have. I thought it might be interesting to learn a little more about her. She's the only other person I know of who has suffered from the same thing I have for almost my whole life - chronic idiopathic urticaria (unexplained hives).

Sometimes when I read a biography of someone, I end up liking them less. I actually like Jane Pauley more. She seems a bit baffled about why she's so well-liked/respected. Jane - people like you because you seem like someone who could live
Ann Adams
Apr 18, 2016 Ann Adams rated it liked it
An "inside" look at Pauley's life with a mention of herbs-polar disorder
Peggy
Dec 30, 2008 Peggy rated it liked it
Jane Pauley's autobiography is an OK book. I am glad I read it, because it talks about her battle with depression and bipolar disorder brought on by being given steroids for an allergic reaction. Since I have experienced the same problem with steroids, it was nice to know that someone like Jane had this probem too. You will learn a lot about Jane's childhood, teenage years, her stint on the "Today" show and a lot about her family. It isn't the best written or most interesting book I have read bu ...more
Connie Vogelgesang
not interesting to me. had to give up
Wendy Eastman link
Mar 15, 2013 Wendy Eastman link rated it it was ok
I understand she wrote this book to revel her journey about receiving her diagnosis of bipolar but... I found it to be disjointed. I never understood her relationships with her families and what that had to do with being bipolar. When she described her hospital stay inn New York, all I could think about was "Oh, the life of the privileged." As someone that has had first hand experience with bipolar disorder, I didn't really enjoy this book as much as I had hoped.
Sharon Faith
May 26, 2008 Sharon Faith rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, really
I thought this would be interesting since I love news and had written for a newspaper. Journalism is a wonderful career, and journalists are very interesting people. So I thought until I read this book. Jane Pauley was NOT as interesting as I had imagined, and the book was clearly boring, listless, and empty. I wish she had written more about her work and career and less about her 'illness'.
subterraneanhomesickalien
Sep 25, 2010 subterraneanhomesickalien rated it did not like it
An awful book by a terrible writer with nothing to say. Why did I read it? I guess because it was there. In my defense I was mentally ill at the time. The only thing about it I enjoyed was watching a once fairly respectable reporter completely embarrass herself with her self-absorbed drivel, her description of her psychotic break was amusing too, but only because it was so freaking pathetic.
Sue
May 01, 2012 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at the D.I. for .75 so thought I couldn't lose.

I enjoyed it but found it a bit disjointed. I am a big fan of Jane Pauley who now writes for AARP. How did she and I get this old?

Anyway, it's a quick read, a nostalgic trip through her childhood and provides insight into her insecurities and personal struggles with medical induced bi-polar.
Margaret
Jan 05, 2011 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this as I heard Jane had bipolar disorder and I was impressed that she was able to achieve all that she had achieved despite her condition. He bipolar disorder was brought on by hives (or the treatment of hives) when she was well into adulthood. There was alot of info about her childhood.
Susan
Aug 13, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always admired Jane Pauley. From her story I learned that the treatment she received from a serious case of hives medically induced depression and bipolar disorder. Who knew? Favorite quote from the book:
"It's good to keep things in proportion. Awareness is healthy; alarm is not."
Leanne Hunt
Apr 16, 2012 Leanne Hunt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Not being an American, I found all the references to American TV programmes uninteresting and lacking in substance. I read the book with a view to finding out about the author's experiences of bipolar disorder and was disappointed at how little there was about this after the opening section.
Nicki
Nov 20, 2009 Nicki rated it it was ok
I found this book frustrating. Jane Pauley was one of my favorite newscasters but this book showed a passivity I did not expect. I was disappointed in this account of her life and difficulties. I felt like she held back emotionally and did not fully embrace the truth of her experiences.
Polly
Jun 09, 2009 Polly rated it really liked it
This readable book was hard to put down. Pauley begins with her incident of hospitalization for bi-polar disorder and works backwards, examining her early life and her family with a reporter's eye and a daughter's affection. A fine read.
Steve Garvin
Nov 16, 2013 Steve Garvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, memoir
Really enjoyed reading Jane Pauley's memoirs. Her book was as personable as her on-air personality seems to be. Genuine, empathetic, and open about her strengths and weaknesses. She is amazed by and grateful for her blessed life.
Catherine
Jun 17, 2013 Catherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book expecting a good story about someone who found she was not who she thought she was. The bipolar incident in her life was downplayed and the book was basically fluff, not what I thought it would be.
J. Lassar
Jane Pauley is a wonderful writer, but I would have liked to know more about her bipolar disorder and how it affected her life. She brought it up in the beginning but didn't really explore the matter further.
Kristen
Apr 01, 2008 Kristen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Someone that wanted to read about Jane Pauley
This book is supposed to be about Jane Pauley's experience with bipolar disorder, but she barely even talks about the mental illness, and there is very little else of any interest in the story.
  • Not Just the Levees Broke: My Story During and After Hurricane Katrina
  • My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • Eastern Sun, Winter Moon: An Autobiographical Odyssey
  • Watching the Tree
  • Revenge of the Paste Eaters: Memoirs of a Misfit
  • Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide
  • Practicing Catholic
  • High Times & Rough Rides of a Bipolar Addict
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Vanished Arizona: Recollections of the Army Life of a New England Woman
  • To Love What Is: A Marriage Transformed
  • Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Cowboy & Wills: A Love Story
  • Heroes: From Alexander the Great & Julius Caesar to Churchill & de Gaulle
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing: The Experience and Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Up All Night: My Life and Times in Rock Radio
  • An Island Out of Time: A Memoir of Smith Island in the Chesapeake
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
Margaret Jane Pauley is an American television journalist, and has been involved in news reporting since 1975. She is most known for her 13 year tenure on NBC's Today program and later 12 years of Dateline NBC, and has acknowledged publicly her struggle with mental health and bipolar disorder.
More about Jane Pauley...