Start by marking “Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)” as Want to Read:
Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)

Therapy (Alex Delaware #18)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  6,926 ratings  ·  229 reviews
Therapy by Jonathan Kellerman (2004)
Published April 20th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Therapy

Jerry
Uneven Delaware story -- almost too complex a plot...

Kellerman fans (the people that really know all his books), as opposed to the "professional" reviewers, will find this latest psychologist Alex Delaware novel, as usual featuring co-star gay detective Milo Sturgis, somewhat puzzling. If we didn't know Alex and Milo well, we might well find their characters enigmatic, with inconsistent action and a pursuit of the clues that borders on hobbyist. When a young couple is found murdered, with an unn
Cyn
I've been finding many of the Alex Delaware novels somewhat 'meh' lately, but this novel redeemed the series a bit for me.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep up with the series because there are some things that grate on me:

The minute details of what a person wears, how they look, what they're eating, etc., etc., after 18 books of this, it feels a little over done sometimes.

Also, even though Alex Delaware is the protagonist of the series I actually don't feel a compelling connection with him as a c
is_znobel
Jonathan Kellerman never fails me. His background as a psychologist and his flair for crime and mystery is very refreshing. His books always bring me fresh perspectives on human mind and behavior. This book revolves around psychologists, confidentiality, fraud and even traumatic brain injury. What made this book even more engaging for me was that at the same time I was reading it, I was working with a client with TBI, so this book had me engrossed.

People always say 'never judge a book by its co
Wendy
There are several reasons why buying a book in paperback is so much more worthwhile than going straight for the hardback. A paperback book is easy to lug around and fits nicely in my purse. A paperback is less expensive to buy, and if it is not quite as good as I had hoped, I feel less guilty about spending money on it than I do if I buy the book in the hardback edition. And yet, when an author I really like comes out with a new book, I can hardly wait to read the latest book, especially when I’ ...more
Rebecca
I used to say that all Mary Higgins Clark books were really the same book, but that was okay because, you know, it was still a pretty good book. That's sort of how I feel about this series. At this point I am just reading to spend time with Milo and Alex. The plots are ridiculously complicated and far-fetched, but if you like Alex Delaware novel(s), this one's between three and four stars. Even as I write this, I can't decide between three and four. All I know is it's much better than two.

A prop
Cynthia
His books are all so good and quite creepy too. The only problem I have with Kellerman's books is there are so very many side characters, and some of them are mentioned only briefly (ex. not from book but generic) Milo had seen Freddy Kruger eating waffles at his favorite restaurant that morning and noted he seemed unusually pleased with himself as he polished his steel claw fingernails. Well, then 100 some odd pages later LO! Freddy is - not the killer because even that would be too easy - but ...more
Susan
I really like Milo and Alex. I have read all of Jonathon Kellerman's novels. I have to honestly say that the older ones are better. These read as short stories more than novels. The best part of these novels is the relationship between the detective and the psychologist.
Astraia
There are some great and surprising characters in this book who unfortunately do nothing surprising. I think the reason I rated it so low is because the end disappoints. Prior to the ending, it is a page turning smart mystery. But you've got to have an ending.
Leslie
Alex Delaware is my favorite of Jonathan Kellerman's protagonists. I love his friendship with Milo. I always get wrapped up into his story and why he takes on cases - as much about his own issues as to help the people.
Patrick
The 18th in the series. Kellerman at his best! Dr Delaware probes the psyche, keeping the reader on the edge of the seat. This is a dark look at the human psyche!
Joan
Jonathan Kellerman seldom disappoints. This Alex Delaware/Mile Sturgis mystery held my interest throughout and I read it in less than 24 hours.
Antonia Jackson
Set in Beverly Hills, the cop Milo and psych Alex spend endless hours of the day solving who murdered a young couple found in a lovers lane. The journey weaves from dysfunctional families, United Nation rorts, scamming Medicare, strip clubs, Jews, Nazis, Sweden, Rwandan injustice, snipers, unethical counsellors, run down apartments, property portfolios, prison systems with a few innocents thrown in for good measure. Hoping for film rights? Maybe a fewer number of layers in the plot. Some memorab ...more
Sheryl
#18 in the series (yes, I've read them all!)

This is one of the very best of the full series, in my opinion.
Henri Moreaux
A methodical crime procedural which whilst paced rather slowly still has a pretty good plot.

The wrap up of the story became a little far fetched, however the development and investigation phase of the plot were both interesting and at least somewhat realistic.

Some paragraph openings reminded me a little of 1950s hard boiled detective shows with a jaded narrator which were certainly atmospheric albeit a little at odds with the feel of the rest of the novel.

Overall, upper end of the mid-range crim
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Steve
Ugh...really? I just wasted the last week on this. Entertaining...yes...sort of. Preposterous...yes ma'am. Absolutely ridicurous... Not the most ridicurous i've ever read (that's still The Langdon base jump from a helicopter and using his jacket as a parachute in Angels and Demons - although I actually liked that book). But come on...psychologists in a Rwanda-tied terror plot. Seriously? And does every character need a motive? Can't we meet one person (other than the strip club manager - who kne ...more
Stunatra
Not my favorite Kellerman. I've been reading them in order, with the exception of two or three, and I think the best books were those written between 1986 and 1994. Those books were a real joy to read. What comes after isn't bad, but just not as great as those novels. I think the problem is that Alex Delaware is just another detective who tags along with Milo. When Alex actually treated patients who later came into trouble is what made those early books so great. The last few I've read, there's ...more
Ryan
I'm getting into the flow of the Dr. Alex Delaware series by Kellerman. It's not the best stuff I've ever heard, but it is decent. And john Rubenstein has read all the ones I've listened to and I've got to say he does a great job. I've grown familiar with hearing the two main characters voices and quite like them both.

As far as this story goes, it seemed to me to be quite a bit longer than most in the Delaware series. And, I suppose, it needed to be in order to get, and keep, everything straight
Kaykay Obi
This is my fourth Jonathan Kellerman read, my second Delaware novel. After reading my first Delaware thriller, BLOOD TEST, I thought maybe I should give up on the series and focus on the author’s other books. But this one revived my interest. I didn’t come across things that put me off in BLOOD TEST - Delaware’s detailed description of persons, what and how they eat, and the clothes they were. Really put me off in BLOOD TEST. Also I loved the fact that Dr. Delaware isn’t doing all the detective ...more
Mcrib
About once a year I read an Alex Delaware novel. They are all pretty much the same; I enjoy them enough to keep coming back but I don't actively seek them out. A solid pick for me if I need something to read in a pinch though.

Here is every book in the series in a nutshell: A murder takes place in LA somewhere. The detective assigned to the case is Miles, who is gay, stocky, and loves to eat anything, anytime, and anywhere. For some reason Miles is (platonic) pals with Alex Delaware, a really bor
I was in the mood for a really good mystery story and this hit the spot!

Using the characters Alex Delaware (a consulting psychologist to the LAPD)and officer Milo Sturgis, the two set out to discover the mystery behind a gruesome murder. A young male and female are found impaled in a car. A bit of digging leads them to a therapy clinic where the victim had been going for counseling. There is more here than meets the eye.

I love the writing style. It is short, quick, and to the point. Even thoug
Alasandra Alawine
When a young couple (Gavin Quick & Christi) are found dead in the boys convertible on Mulholland Drive Milo and Alex first assume it is some psycho targeting lovers, but as the investigation progresses they tie it to a cold case. When Gavin's therapist is murdered the case goes in an entirely new direction and Medicaid fraud is uncovered.

Just as Milo is posed to make an arrest the people connected to Gavin's murder are killed by a sharpshooter and Gavin's Father disappears.
Nan Williams
Aug 26, 2014 Nan Williams rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Check Jerry's review. My thoughts exactly!

I've read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman and probably all of the Alex Delaware series. Mostly I've enjoyed them, but not this one. It was just too, too complex and went in too, too many different and divergent directions. I'm glad to see that Jerry (whose review was spot-on) felt that the ending was inconclusive. I was afraid that I had gotten so confused with the multiple story lines that I had missed it.

Don't waste your time.
Ed
Jun 23, 2010 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and thriller fans
Not the best that Kellerman is capable of, the story revolves around unsavory practices by some psychologists, exacerbated by three murders that are somehow connected to each other and to a group of psychologists.

Perhaps writing about psychology and psychologists kept Kellerman from moving the plot along as quickly as he does in most of his other books. The major characters Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis were enjoyable as usual. Delaware's new love interest, Allison, was less interesting and the
Ed
Oct 22, 2008 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ed by: Tracey Stoll
9-2-2008: I am reading this one right now with Tracey in the car. I like Milo, and I like the person that is reading the book too. The story is interesting.

Update: I finished the Audio book sometime in September. I'm already forgetting the details. Guess I should have written them down right away.

So here it is Oct 21, 2008 and I decided to go back to this book and listened to the last CD again. After relistening to the final CD, I actually decided that the book was better than I though, and gave
Linda
Earlier books were better. Terrorist twist didn't do much for me. Not believable. But I usually like the Alex/milo relationship. Allison relationship is underdeveloped. Hope he does better with her than he did with Robin. Milo needs to take better care of himself. At least show some improvement so it is believe able that a doctor would be interested in him as a life partner.
Rita
I am a huge fan of Kellerman. His fiction and non-fiction are just superb. This book was great... Except the uneventful, subtle conclusion. Matter-of-factly if it was a meal it would be served from cans, not heated, and be a teaspoon given to each person. No more. No less.

Still giving it five stars as the story, characters, style, etc were spot on Lellerman.
Lisa Anne
Maybe it's because I listened to this on audiobook instead of actually reading it, but this was just not an interesting story. There were way too many characters that I didn't care about and couldn't keep track of, and the ending was frankly uneventful. I used to read Kellerman years ago, and evidently I haven't missed anything!
Jen
Alex and Milo pursue the person who murdered a young couple in their car in a local make-out location. The young woman was impaled in addition to being shot. What they turn up is right down Alex's line of expertise...therapy. But just how kosher is this therapy they've uncovered. When the murdered young man's therapist, who shunned Alex professionally in the past, winds up dead as well the plot thickens.

This was not one of my favorite Kellerman plots. It wasn't bad, it just didn't keep me as int
Sue
I always enjoy Jonathan Kellerman's books. This one was no disappointment. I was highly engaged, and could not wait to pick it up every night before bed. I enjoyed a personality and intellect of Alex Delaware, as well.
ALEX DELAWARE SERIES' 2 15 Sep 05, 2009 03:42PM
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Trouble
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Entombed (Alexandra Cooper, #7)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)