Start by marking “Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)” as Want to Read:
Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)

Therapy (Alex Delaware #18)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  6,461 ratings  ·  207 reviews
Therapy by Jonathan Kellerman (2004)
Published April 20th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Therapy

Jerry
Uneven Delaware story -- almost too complex a plot...

Kellerman fans (the people that really know all his books), as opposed to the "professional" reviewers, will find this latest psychologist Alex Delaware novel, as usual featuring co-star gay detective Milo Sturgis, somewhat puzzling. If we didn't know Alex and Milo well, we might well find their characters enigmatic, with inconsistent action and a pursuit of the clues that borders on hobbyist. When a young couple is found murdered, with an unn
Cyn
I've been finding many of the Alex Delaware novels somewhat 'meh' lately, but this novel redeemed the series a bit for me.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep up with the series because there are some things that grate on me:

The minute details of what a person wears, how they look, what they're eating, etc., etc., after 18 books of this, it feels a little over done sometimes.

Also, even though Alex Delaware is the protagonist of the series I actually don't feel a compelling connection with him as a c
jcg
OK book, kind of slow, they don't even have a suspect until halfway through. I liked the descriptions, but only the first quarter of the book had any interesting writing.

There wasn't any thrilling dénouement, the book just plugged along, finally pulled together some suspects and motivation in the last quarter, came to a sort of reveal-all resolution, and then petered out. Instead of building clues, the author resorts to long explanatory interviews. Near the end there's a long unnecessary life st
Susan
I really like Milo and Alex. I have read all of Jonathon Kellerman's novels. I have to honestly say that the older ones are better. These read as short stories more than novels. The best part of these novels is the relationship between the detective and the psychologist.
Astraia
There are some great and surprising characters in this book who unfortunately do nothing surprising. I think the reason I rated it so low is because the end disappoints. Prior to the ending, it is a page turning smart mystery. But you've got to have an ending.
Leslie
Alex Delaware is my favorite of Jonathan Kellerman's protagonists. I love his friendship with Milo. I always get wrapped up into his story and why he takes on cases - as much about his own issues as to help the people.
Patrick
The 18th in the series. Kellerman at his best! Dr Delaware probes the psyche, keeping the reader on the edge of the seat. This is a dark look at the human psyche!
Joan
Jonathan Kellerman seldom disappoints. This Alex Delaware/Mile Sturgis mystery held my interest throughout and I read it in less than 24 hours.
Sheryl
#18 in the series (yes, I've read them all!)

This is one of the very best of the full series, in my opinion.
Henri Moreaux
A methodical crime procedural which whilst paced rather slowly still has a pretty good plot.

The wrap up of the story became a little far fetched, however the development and investigation phase of the plot were both interesting and at least somewhat realistic.

Some paragraph openings reminded me a little of 1950s hard boiled detective shows with a jaded narrator which were certainly atmospheric albeit a little at odds with the feel of the rest of the novel.

Overall, upper end of the mid-range crim
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Steve
Ugh...really? I just wasted the last week on this. Entertaining...yes...sort of. Preposterous...yes ma'am. Absolutely ridicurous... Not the most ridicurous i've ever read (that's still The Langdon base jump from a helicopter and using his jacket as a parachute in Angels and Demons - although I actually liked that book). But come on...psychologists in a Rwanda-tied terror plot. Seriously? And does every character need a motive? Can't we meet one person (other than the strip club manager - who kne ...more
Stunatra
Not my favorite Kellerman. I've been reading them in order, with the exception of two or three, and I think the best books were those written between 1986 and 1994. Those books were a real joy to read. What comes after isn't bad, but just not as great as those novels. I think the problem is that Alex Delaware is just another detective who tags along with Milo. When Alex actually treated patients who later came into trouble is what made those early books so great. The last few I've read, there's ...more
Ryan
I'm getting into the flow of the Dr. Alex Delaware series by Kellerman. It's not the best stuff I've ever heard, but it is decent. And john Rubenstein has read all the ones I've listened to and I've got to say he does a great job. I've grown familiar with hearing the two main characters voices and quite like them both.

As far as this story goes, it seemed to me to be quite a bit longer than most in the Delaware series. And, I suppose, it needed to be in order to get, and keep, everything straight
Kaykay Obi
This is my fourth Jonathan Kellerman read, my second Delaware novel. After reading my first Delaware thriller, BLOOD TEST, I thought maybe I should give up on the series and focus on the author’s other books. But this one revived my interest. I didn’t come across things that put me off in BLOOD TEST - Delaware’s detailed description of persons, what and how they eat, and the clothes they were. Really put me off in BLOOD TEST. Also I loved the fact that Dr. Delaware isn’t doing all the detective ...more
Mcrib
About once a year I read an Alex Delaware novel. They are all pretty much the same; I enjoy them enough to keep coming back but I don't actively seek them out. A solid pick for me if I need something to read in a pinch though.

Here is every book in the series in a nutshell: A murder takes place in LA somewhere. The detective assigned to the case is Miles, who is gay, stocky, and loves to eat anything, anytime, and anywhere. For some reason Miles is (platonic) pals with Alex Delaware, a really bor
I was in the mood for a really good mystery story and this hit the spot!

Using the characters Alex Delaware (a consulting psychologist to the LAPD)and officer Milo Sturgis, the two set out to discover the mystery behind a gruesome murder. A young male and female are found impaled in a car. A bit of digging leads them to a therapy clinic where the victim had been going for counseling. There is more here than meets the eye.

I love the writing style. It is short, quick, and to the point. Even thoug
Nan Williams
Aug 26, 2014 Nan Williams rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Check Jerry's review. My thoughts exactly!

I've read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman and probably all of the Alex Delaware series. Mostly I've enjoyed them, but not this one. It was just too, too complex and went in too, too many different and divergent directions. I'm glad to see that Jerry (whose review was spot-on) felt that the ending was inconclusive. I was afraid that I had gotten so confused with the multiple story lines that I had missed it.

Don't waste your time.
Ed
Jun 23, 2010 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and thriller fans
Not the best that Kellerman is capable of, the story revolves around unsavory practices by some psychologists, exacerbated by three murders that are somehow connected to each other and to a group of psychologists.

Perhaps writing about psychology and psychologists kept Kellerman from moving the plot along as quickly as he does in most of his other books. The major characters Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis were enjoyable as usual. Delaware's new love interest, Allison, was less interesting and the
Ed
Oct 22, 2008 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ed by: Tracey Stoll
9-2-2008: I am reading this one right now with Tracey in the car. I like Milo, and I like the person that is reading the book too. The story is interesting.

Update: I finished the Audio book sometime in September. I'm already forgetting the details. Guess I should have written them down right away.

So here it is Oct 21, 2008 and I decided to go back to this book and listened to the last CD again. After relistening to the final CD, I actually decided that the book was better than I though, and gave
Linda
Earlier books were better. Terrorist twist didn't do much for me. Not believable. But I usually like the Alex/milo relationship. Allison relationship is underdeveloped. Hope he does better with her than he did with Robin. Milo needs to take better care of himself. At least show some improvement so it is believe able that a doctor would be interested in him as a life partner.
Jen
Alex and Milo pursue the person who murdered a young couple in their car in a local make-out location. The young woman was impaled in addition to being shot. What they turn up is right down Alex's line of expertise...therapy. But just how kosher is this therapy they've uncovered. When the murdered young man's therapist, who shunned Alex professionally in the past, winds up dead as well the plot thickens.

This was not one of my favorite Kellerman plots. It wasn't bad, it just didn't keep me as int
Clare
Being a therapist myself I found what happened in this terrible, but unfortunately I think its probably a lot more common than people realise, I suppose it could work the same way for lawyers really.
Just have to be careful and hope your therapist is ethical.
Annette
Read one other Kellerman mystery and thought I'd give another a try. Unfortunately, I felt it was a waste of my time. I finished it to just finish it. Nothing about this book kept me enthralled. To really enjoy a book, characters need to grab you and carry you through an amazing journey. Neither applied here. One word describes it....boring.
Eliana
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Julia
I have decided to go back and read some authors I like, but haven't read in awhile. I used to read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman books. This was another good one. I guess I missed a couple of books, because I didn't know Alex and Robin had broken up. I was a little saddened by this, because I liked their relationship.

The actual mystery in this book was a little confusing. Too many suspects, and a really convoluted relationship between them all. I never felt there was much closure on why Gavin, the
Sue Harris
YAWWWNNNNNN!!!!!!

Oh sorry.......just decided to stop reading a very boring book! I thought I would read the first 100 pages and when I got there I thought, "Okay, 100 pages is a bit harsh - I'll give it another 50". When I got to page 150, some snippets of excitement had come to light.....a little temptation to keep reading BUT I have now decided enough is enough (after 340 odd pages!)

What started off as quite good soon became quite droll. It was like opening up your favourite tin of sweets to
Cara Byrne
YAWWWNNNNNN!!!!!!

Mlag
Jul 31, 2012 Mlag rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrill reader desparate for something to read
Recommended to Mlag by: no one
I am almost finished reading Therapy an Alex Delaware novel. It certainly WAS easy to put down. I didn't connect w/the characters too well - I thought there was not enough expression of their personalities to connect to. (ie I like the relationship w/Milo, but I didn't think that Jonathan Kellerman was able make the dog believable. He started to descibe the character of the dog and it's actions but cut the descriptions short.) On the flip side, I agree w/some reviews that there are too many unne ...more
Sarah Rohrs
Pretty good Kellerman featuring the dynamic duo of Alex and Milo. Very compelling story which kept the pages turning. Also some very entertaining side characters. My only complaint is the incredibly long-winded discussions the pair get into as they try to eliminate suspects, etc.
ALEX DELAWARE SERIES' 2 13 Sep 05, 2009 03:42PM
  • Street Dreams (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #15)
  • Trouble
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • Deception on His Mind (Inspector Lynley, #9)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)