Start by marking “Change Baby” as Want to Read:
Change Baby

Change Baby

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An award-winning writer's debut novel about a young woman's return to her Southern roots and to the secrets of who she is.

Avie Goss is a change baby-a baby born late in her mother's life, almost a generation after the births of her two siblings. When her mother nearly dies in a house fire, Avie returns home to the South she abandoned after college. There, she tends to he
Published September 9th 2004 by Riverhead Hardcover (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Change Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Baby

Mary
Apr 16, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Avie Goss is a 'change baby', a baby born to her mother late in life. She has been born almost a generation after her two siblings and truly cannot find her own place in her family. When her mother almost dies in a house fire, Avie returns home to the peaceful Southern lifestyle that she strove to leave behind forever after college. As she cares for her ailing mother, Avie begins to unravel the story of who she is and to discover the secrets of a disappearing picture of life as it used to be. Sl ...more
Jackie
Dec 30, 2014 Jackie rated it liked it
p. 125 "Where you thought was solid brick and mortar, all of a sudden a door opens right smack in the center and you wonder why you never saw the light pouring in around the edges before, for the door was always there, it is your seeing has changed."

p. 138 "maybe she considered me a silent partner in the care and feeding of her husband's enormous ego... I didn't like to think I'd been causing her pain instead."

Friday, Sept 29, 2006, having just read that part of the book and feeling its tug on
Marian
Jan 10, 2011 Marian rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is southern in a nice and realistic way (the story is set in a fictional small town near Raleigh) and I found the characters, story and alternating narrator structure interesting.
Lois Duncan
Nov 06, 2011 Lois Duncan rated it it was ok
Perhaps because I couldn't relate to either the characters or the situations, this book did not hold me interest.
Bea
Jun 13, 2008 Bea rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
ok book--- interesting b/c it is set in NC right out side of Raleigh in some little town called Regina, I kindof imagine it is one of those small country towns along HWY 70, they do go into Raleigh for the hospital and of course I imagine they go to wake med --maybe even on Elizabeth's floor:)

the story is very dark and kindof odd and there is a big secret, i like the main character though...she is about 24 and has spent the last 2-3 years being a mistress to her boss, now she has to come home to
Margaret M.
Oct 09, 2014 Margaret M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Once again, a novel comes my way during this time in my life that parallels it, or at least describes similar circumstances (death of a parent/caregiving).
Joan
Apr 30, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story about middle America. Not at all the chick-lit story I thought at first.
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Meh. The multiple perspectives really didn't work for me in this book. I wish the author had just stuck with Avie's story and unraveled the mysteries for the reader as they were answered for Avie. Also, I felt like Avie wasn't particularly sympathetic, and by the end, it seemed like her life was just sort-of where she got stuck. For me, there wasn't much emotional development of the main character, and I wasn't particularly invested in the story. I'm not sure if some of the questions that were a ...more
Rebecca Defrang
Jan 01, 2013 Rebecca Defrang rated it liked it
I thought the book to be well written, and I truly enjoyed it at the beginning. Then, it started to lose some of its focus, and the characters were not developed well (brother, boyfriend, sister) toward the end. But, it was a quick, easy read, and was engaging with so many (perhaps a little far fetched) twists, so I would recommend it as a lazy weekend read.
Jane
May 26, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read, kept me guessing. The search for personal identity begins with the past & it seems that many novels are using this explicitly now. Back, back, back... even for secrets not as big as the protagonist's, perhaps most of us are questing for the secrets that will unravel the mystery of our lives.
Tricia
Apr 20, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Not bad. Entertaining enough, but sort of left me with a "now WHAT was the point?" feeling. The main character is an over-sheltered, self absorbed brat and she learns some lessons about herself, her family, loyalty and keeping secrets.
Jenny
Nov 29, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this story. It had twists and turns you didn't expect, esp for the time period part of it was set in.
Jane
Nov 03, 2013 Jane marked it as to-read
Written by the wife of a friend who is very talented himself.
Sarahfitch
Jun 19, 2012 Sarahfitch rated it it was ok
Shelves: ready-to-read
I am having such a hard time getting into this one.
Kelly
Apr 21, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book got much better toward the end.
Veronica
Jul 15, 2008 Veronica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that women will read anything that ends with the messed up girl getting the guy. Even if it is as believable as a potty-mouthed/charmingly slutty girl from the city living in sin with a practicing small town minister.
Rosie
Jun 01, 2009 Rosie rated it really liked it
great
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Amy Hatzigiannis
Amy Hatzigiannis marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Lynne Bouchard
Lynne Bouchard rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Janice
Janice added it
Feb 12, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Valerie Heaton rucker
Valerie Heaton rucker rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Sunny
Sunny rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015