Start by marking “Once (Eve, #2)” as Want to Read:
Once (Eve, #2)

Once (Eve #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  10,146 ratings  ·  914 reviews
When you're being hunted, who can you trust?

For the first time since she escaped from her school many months ago, Eve can sleep soundly. She's living in Califia, a haven for women, protected from the terrifying fate that awaits orphaned girls in The New America.

But her safety came at a price: She was forced to abandon Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city
Published July 3rd 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Once, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2012
113th out of 1,282 books — 10,135 voters
Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
25th out of 144 books — 843 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This is a difficult review to write. Most of the things I want to talk about (good and bad) involve giving away huge spoilers. Once has a pretty big plot twist early in the story - one that I'm almost ashamed to admit I didn't see coming - making it close to impossible for me to adequately express my thoughts. But I'm going to try really hard to give a nice little run down of the book without ruining it for you.

Once picks up a few months after the events in Eve and our pr
Isamlq
It’s still a little more of the same of a girl head over heels over a guy she knew next to nothing about, a lot of hiding and seeking then one (or two) improbable moments thrown in. It had me wanting to head /desk, face/palm then maybe even body/floor. (Yes, I'd likely be black and blue now.)

She’s a (view spoiler) I didn’t see that coming. When I first read Eve, I recall how gullible she could be, how unthinking she could be… and how follow the leader she some
Katy
NOOOOO! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT! Once again, Carey has managed to rip out my heart and leave me tortured for the next few months.

This book was a bit different in that the first was about Eve and Caleb surviving in the wild, and this was about Eve trying to escape her situation inside the city. But I loved it almost as much. I'm sure some will even say this book is better than the first.

One of my favorite scenes in the first book was when Eve first met Caleb and she insisted she knew what he wante
Blythe
I’ll admit, I went into Once with some slight trepidation. I read Eve a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it, and was instantly captivated by the scarily familiar world it took place in, the characters and their struggles and the great emotional impact it had on me. With all of that praise for Eve, and more, I looked forward to Once immensely, having high hopes for it, but was also a bit worried, wondering if it could live up to its predecessor.

And now, the big question: did it live up to Eve?
Amelia
Feb 28, 2014 Amelia marked it as fake-ya-dystopian
is sure to appeal to fans who crave the high-stakes adventure of The Hunger Games...
ick. can't take this seriously.
THIS BOOK IS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS THE HUNGER GAMES
TO
THAT
REVOLUTIONARY
BOOK
this is a skim "to read" Eve bored the heck out of me.
Step Into Fiction
If you’ve read my review for EVE you’ll know I LOVED the book and I read it in four hours. So when ONCE arrived at my house RIGHT before Christmas, I couldn’t have been more excited. But I was afraid to read it because I’m impatient and I hate waiting. EVE doesn’t come out until July so I knew it would be at least a year from now (if not more) until we saw the next book but I couldn’t resist reading it. I am kicking myself now because the ending is just plain torture.

Review originally posted at
Becca
I haven't heard people talking too much about the first book in this series "Eve", but as I had read it and quite enjoyed it I decided to give the sequel a try. This sequel is better than most I have read in any Young Adult series for a long time. It was a definite page turner with a conclusion that has you annoyed at how long you have to wait for the next book(as this book doesn't even come out until July 2012, I'm guessing it is going to be quite a long wait!). I have to be honest, I am usuall ...more
Debbie (at) I Heart YA Books
I love, love, love Once. And for all of you who have read Eve, you know what the three “loves” mean. Anna Carey is an awesome, awesome, AWESOME! writer and she has written an irresistible series with Eve. I couldn't believe Carey could leave me on a more heart-breaking, torturous cliffhanger than she did in Eve, but yes she did it again arrrrrr! Eve and Caleb are my kind of YA couple. Eve is a strong, take-charge heroine, and Caleb is my strong, fun loving hero. Eve and Caleb are steamy hot this ...more
Wendy Godding
Jul 05, 2012 Wendy Godding rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Eve
After reading the other reviews on here I agree with most that is hard to write a proper review without giving away too much of the plot and the huge twist which - like everyone else it seems - I didn't see coming and is a great addition to the plot.

First the good. The premise is excellent. The writing is good too, Carey has a talent for getting the reader to read on, to always want more.

Now, the negatives. Eve is the most selfish character fathomable. I didn't actually find her that selfish in
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
**Spoilers if you haven't read Eve**

As soon as I finished Eve late Saturday night, I picked Once up straight away because after that ending, I had to know what was going to happen I'm so pleased to say, Once is a fantastic sequel - if not even better than Eve and once again, Anna Carey leaves me completely breathless with that killer ending.

After the shocking events in Eve, Eve is now safe in the lands of Califia. Unfortunately Caleb wasn't granted access because he is a male but even though he'
Kristin  Aragon
The sequel to Eve proved to not just be a filler book like most sequels in a trilogy are. The same amount of action and events occurred during the course of the story as well. The twist in the story that you are represented with is a complete shocker. It was something that I honestly never expected. Luckily the sequel wasn’t as depressing as the first book. It had a more determined feel and you see Eve grow as a character, from a scared little girl to a woman who should not be underestimated.

It
Mands
A joint review with my co-blogger, Meg:

Once by Anna Carey is the second book in the Eve trilogy. Set in 2032, eighteen year old Eve is living in Califia, a female-only haven. It’s been three months since she arrived and had to leave Caleb behind. She was taken in by Maeve, one of the leaders, and has been helping out and getting to know the other women, but everyday she worries about Caleb, wondering if he’s even still alive.

Meg was the one who recommended Eve to me last year and while I enjoyed
Michaela
YA Novelties
Check this review out at our blog!

1.5 Stars

After reading Eve, I was at a sort of a loss. Eve ended with such a perfect ending to keep the reader dying for Once, I remember reading an excerpt of this book and thinking "Meh...." There was nothing truly spectacular about Eve. After all, many of its themes and plot devices were ones already used in dystopians for years, and all of the characters bugged me. So now I really wonder why I read Once because honestly, it was worse than I expected.

Once beg
Natalie
Leah (Jane Speare)
A good solid four, not wavering to 3 or anything. Significantly better than Eve. ;) Glad I sticked with the series.

For the past few months, Eve has been living in Califia, a haven for women living outside the reign of the King. But when she learns her new home may not be safe for her anymore, she escapes in hope of finding Caleb—whom she had to leave behind in order to stay in Califia—but quickly finds herself in the City of Sand, home of the King who pursues her. In this sequel, Eve herself gro
Kristi
At this point, the first book is my favorite of the two. Even though I did love the progression of the Caleb/Eve relationship in this one, a few aspects of the plot were predictable and I just wasn't as thrilled or intrigued by what was going on as much as I hoped to be.

That being said, I believe this is a good book. Unfortunately, my reading experience this time around was one where personal issues got in the way (perspective on certain things, bad moods, etc.) So, I still want to give this a
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

This review is for the audiobook.

Eve was a book that I was mostly meh about. I try to read all of the dystopias, or at least the first book in each series. Obviously, I liked it enough to want to continue with the series. I read Eve around the same time as I read Wither, which I thought was better. With the sequels, though, I think I like Carey's series better, at least for consistency's sake.

The basic society seen in Once is interesting enough. I am a
Samantha
I liked the first one better than this one.

For one, there was more adventure there, and more happiness. This one seemed just all doom and gloom, there were only patches of writing were Eve was ever happy, and even that didn't last long. And the way it ended was so sad and depressing, that it almost made me not want to continue the series, but of course I will, after all, it makes it so much more exciting to see what happens next. The journey Eve had didn't have as much adventure as the last on
Carina Olsen
I should start by saying that if you have not read the first book in this series, Eve, yet, then you should not read this review. Because it will contain spoilers to the first book, and you really should not know those things if you have not read it yet ;) Also, my review of Once has a few small spoilers, but those can also be found by reading the summary :)

I want to start by saying that I LOVE the cover of this book :) It is simply stunning. Love that it follows the cover of Eve. Also love that
Krisz
More of a 4,5.

Iniţial postată aici: http://walking-on-letters.blogspot.ro...

Vă rog să faceți un scurt experiment: să închideți ochii, să vă lăsați imaginația să zboare în cele mai ascunse locuri ale minții voastre, și să vă gândiți că nu mai sunteți la voi acasă, în confort, ci într-o încăpere murdară, plină de păianjeni, vraiște, și cu vreun schelet printr-un colț. Că nu veți avea parte de o masă caldă, pregătită de mama voastră iubitoare, ci că va trebui să căutați prin resturi să vedeți dacă
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Eve’ series, and picks up 3 months after the end of book 1 ‘Eve’.
Eve has now been in Califia for 3 months, and has no idea what has happened to Caleb, or if he’s even alive. When she hears that he might still be alive, she sneaks out to try and find him only to be captured by soldiers and taken to the city.
Why is the King so desperate to get Eve? What has happened to Caleb? And what will happen to Eve now?

This was a good story, and I lik
Frida - Photos and Books
Okej, Frida, andas.... Jag borde egentligen inte skriva något om boken nu för jag är helt slukad av slutet, men whatever!

Det som jag verkligen älskar är handlingen och dens löpeld! Herregud! Jag skulle aldrig kunna tro att boken skulle sluta så när jag läste det första kapitlet! Vilken drivkraft, vilken glöd! Jag kunde inte lägga ifrån mig boken!

Egentligen är inte Eve, HP:n i boken, så rolig, men hon är lite som alla andra dystopi-tjejer, kämpar för en förändring, tokkära i en kille och livet gå
Rabbit { ☠ Pass the hard apple cider  ☠}
Ta§chima Cullen
Dec 19, 2011 Ta§chima Cullen marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
Pretty cover, as to the story agh, I don't know. Sounds... Blah. The first one was a bit disappointing, but I just gotta read this one to know if it will get better or just worse. What I really want to know is why the king wants Eve, some special reason with her DNA? Or does he just want her cause he thinks she is some hot piece of ass?

Oh us readers, we gotta do what we gotta do; the lengths we have to go to find the truth!
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Valerie
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

WOW! I couldn’t wait to get back into the world of Eve and see if she and Caleb ended up together. I also wondered in what ways had Eve changed after being sheltered her entire life then thrust into so many hard choice situations. I was not disappointed in book two and was totally hooked once Eve reached The City of Sand, Capitol of The New America.

In book one, Eve and Caleb spent most of th
Lauren
A sequel that manages to top its predecessor is rare, but it happens, and Once is such a book. It's just as exciting and haunting as Eve but the characters are more mature, have more depth. I couldn't put Carey's newest novel down and I'm so excited for the last book in the trilogy!
Belle Whittington
Excellent sequel to "Eve"! The last chapter left me wanting more!
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
oooh another pretty cover!
Paula  Phillips
  • Surrender (Possession, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Thorns (The Frost Chronicles, #2)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
Anna Carey has been a gift wrapper, face painter, nanny, horrific cocktail waitress, sofa saleswoman and children's book editor. She graduated from New York University and has an MFA in fiction from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Los Angeles, where she can be found writing, reading, and telling elaborate, only moderately interesting stories about her dog. Look for her new series, Blackbi ...more
More about Anna Carey...
Eve (Eve, #1) Rise (Eve, #3) Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1) Blackbird (Blackbird, #1) Hunger for Dystopian: Sampler

“You do anything for the person you love,” she said finally. "And then when you don’t think you can give any more of yourself, you do. You keep going. Because it would kill you not to.” 30 likes
“We stood side by side, and for that minute, in the stillness of that room, he was not the King. I was not not the Princess, taken against her will to the City. We were two people trying to forget.” 20 likes