Start by marking “Megume and the Trees” as Want to Read:
Megume and the Trees

Megume and the Trees

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Fifteen-year old Megume wakes to find herself in the woods, with no idea of how she got there beyond a murky memory of chasing her lost dog, Sasurai. But with the pain of her past and her family fragmented after the death of her mother, Megume finds that she doesn't really mind being lost. Yet strange encounters with others in the woods - including Kat, a woman who seems s ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Megami Press LLC (first published January 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Megume and the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megume and the Trees

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexiePerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesLiving Violet by Jaime ReedHarper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird by Christopher SergelEon by Alison Goodman
YA Books With Minorities
102nd out of 218 books — 133 voters
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzMore Than This by Patrick NessEverything Leads to You by Nina LaCourThe Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. DanforthSimon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
YA LGBT Books - Not "Coming Out"
157th out of 186 books — 190 voters

More lists with this book...

Desiree
Apr 19, 2012 Desiree rated it really liked it
As the Young Adult market has become ever saturated with light reads about “dark” romances and adventures with the flavor-of-the-moment paranormal/supernatural entity, Sarah Toshiko Hasu’s debut novella, Megume and the Trees, lays itself before the reader with a sober yet powerful question: What cost is escapism from your world and your inner turmoil worth? Do the ends justify the means, even if it means a final end?

The narrative thrives on questioning the line between reality and imagination, w
Gi-Gi
Nov 29, 2011 Gi-Gi rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank Sarah for sending me a signed copy of her book. I enjoyed every minute of her beautifully written story. I loved the style of writing as it switched from Megume's story to the letters her friend Emiko wrote her. Also how the story also incorporated so many messages along with the feel of how I used to feel while watching the twilight zone. Absolutely loved it.
Scott
Nov 24, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
dark and trippy, like a really good twilight zone episode...loved it! thanks goodreads for the complimentary book!
Lucy
Mar 31, 2012 Lucy added it
We were very kindly sent this wonderful magical book by the author Sarah. Having just finished reading it I feel conscious that I need to do the book justice through my review.

Our site is all about the positive side of being gay. To be honest I have been so lucky that I had forgotten how it felt when I was younger and struggled with my sexuality, that it was such a shameful thing and that those closest didn’t know me, the feeling of deceit.

This book focuses on a fifteen year old girl called Megu
Emily Rothbaum
Feb 19, 2016 Emily Rothbaum rated it did not like it
I purchased this for .25 cents at a garage sale. The best I can say is that it did have potential.
This is a dark work but for no compelling reason. Interesting issues and challenges were skimmed over or given the insight of a pre-teen in angst.
Once I began to follow the story, (it jumps around and around again), I found the plot disappointing and the expressions of painful emotions juvenile.
I looked for a follow up by this author and was not surprised to find none.
Terry
Nov 20, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very strange young adult novel. Weird, yet compelling. I wanted to finish to see where the young lady would lead us with this story. The author did a wonderful job writing through 15 year old Megume's eyes. Good descriptive prose, but somewhat hard to keep straight at times. Dark, serious, depressing work; one not easily forgotten.
Not a novel to be read lightly.
(Contains painful, yet important issues which teens deal with - self-mutilation, suicide, lesbianism, etc. Has a list of hel
Eva
Dec 13, 2011 Eva rated it it was ok
This was a firstread giveaway. All though it was a short story it took me a while to read. It was a hard book to get into and to follow. Once I got into the plot I was disappointed it is a depressing story to read. The story jumps you around to much. I would start understanding what was going on and the events would change and I would be lost again.
Sal Noel
Aug 10, 2012 Sal Noel rated it liked it
Bought on a whim-was a teenage read and there are times that's just what I fancy. Some interesting and challenging issues brought up but skimmed over and could have been expanded on. So, some disappointment- overall seemed rushed but thumbs up for making an attempt. Would hope that this author develops over time.
Jenn
Melissa
Feb 03, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
I won this from goodreads.com
Ragnhild
Ragnhild marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kara Lane
Kara Lane marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Sukeerti
Sukeerti marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Michelle S.
Michelle S. marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kimi
Kimi added it
Apr 13, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
MaryMac
MaryMac marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Apr 01, 2016
Jahnelle
Jahnelle marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Nyx
Nyx marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Karly-Lynne
Karly-Lynne marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Feb 26, 2016
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Annie Frazier
Annie Frazier rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolesence of Utena
  • Crooked Hills
  • Fading Into Magic (Fading Into Magic, #1)
  • Bloodwood (Chronicles of Max Mayhem, #1)
  • The Ghosts of Stone Hollow
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • Playing Well with Others: Your Field Guide to Discovering, Exploring and Navigating the Kink, Leather and Bdsm Communities
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • The Road to Her
  • The Good Patient
  • Fighting Gravity
  • True Lies: The Book Of Bad Advice
  • Debris Dreams
Sarah Toshiko Hasu is the author of Megume and the Trees, shortlisted for a 2012 Lambda Literary Award in Lesbian Debut Fiction, and the forthcoming Whitest Snow. After working on the business side of the music industry from the age of 17, she founded Megami Press in 2010. She lives in Arizona with her dogs, Daphne and Dylan.
More about Sarah Toshiko Hasu...