Start by marking “Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling: A Practical Homeschooling Book” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
From taking the plunge to tapping into the myriad homeschooling resources, parents will discover:
-- The ten essential steps to homeschool success
-- Curriculum options organized by grade level, religious preference, and Educational philosophy
-- Help for homeschooling both challenged and gifted children
-- Inspirational vignettes about successful homeschooling
-- Resources fo
Published June 1st 2004 by Harvest House Publishers

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling

Kristy
May 27, 2010 Kristy rated it did not like it
This book will be helpful if you agree with all of Mary Pride's opinions and beliefs in terms of religion and the function of parents (i.e., parents should protect children from all knowledge that is not biblically-based: an example of dangerous material is mythology).
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it did not like it
i'm looking at homeschooling, or alternative forms of education as i'm not thrilled with the school district we're in.
while this book has some good information, great definitions, it left a bad taste in my mouth with its quite literal holier than thou; anything from the government is of the DEVIL attitude.

while i understand there is a definite Christian movement in homeschooling, and even though I am a Christian, this book was not written for me. The impression i got from this book was that i
Lyn
Mar 07, 2011 Lyn rated it liked it
Mike called this book, my "telephone book" about homeschooling. At times it read like a telephone book! A lot of what I read I have heard or read other places but for me reading it a second time really helped me to understand more of the different teaching/learning options in homeschooling. The one part that I did not like was that the author's sentiments about government involvement in homeschooling was infused in many parts of the book. But it is titled, Mary Pride's complete guide to homescho ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who are interested in homeschooling or already are homeschooling
Shelves: my-books-read
This book is VERY good. It lists so many different resources, advice, different homeschool methods, and ideas. This was the first book I read when I was interested in homeschooling my children. It caught my eye so much and gave so much information that I decided to homeschool!
Amy
Apr 10, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a great source of information to get started homeschooling. It is only one opinion though, so I found that I agreed with some of her methods and not so much on others. It really gave me the confidence and knowledge that I need to get started homeschooling.
Carrie Rose
May 13, 2015 Carrie Rose rated it really liked it
There is so much useful information packed into this giant book that I wish I owned it instead of just reading my library's copy. But despite all that is wonderful about this book, I have to deduct a star from my rating because the author has some really extreme opinions that she inserts into the book rather aggressively in some places. I'm a Christian, but I disagreed strongly with some of her claims about Christianity. She's highly critical of the public schools, which isn't uncommon among hom ...more
Carrie
Feb 06, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
A great starting point for someone who is planning to start Homeschooling. It explains the different styles of homeschooling, gives curriculum suggestions, and ideas for avoiding beginning mistakes.
Catherine
Sep 19, 2009 Catherine rated it liked it
Lots of good information, but I disagreed strongly with much in the chapter preaching about avoiding charter schools and involvement with local government.
Kerri Simpson
Jul 02, 2014 Kerri Simpson rated it really liked it
I was looking for helpful information because Im considering homeschool my young one. This book actually gave me some of the information I was looking for. While just talking about your homeschooling experience is nice its not the stand alone information Im looking for. This book had both. I was homeschooled but I still want information and resources before I begin. This book helped alot.
Rose Zivkovich
May 15, 2015 Rose Zivkovich rated it it was ok
I thought it was boring and too generic - it covers a lot - but I really didn't learn anything new.
Helena
Overwhelming and seemed a little dated. Not really what I needed.
Terri Lynn
Jul 05, 2011 Terri Lynn rated it really liked it
Mary Pride has both homebirthed and homeschooled her family just as I have so though she is a Christian and I am an Atheist, I have found her Big Book of Home Learning useful since the 1990's. This book was volume 1 of the redone Big Book of Home Learning which only got to the first volume but this book is quite useful, even to an Atheist like myself. She discusses methods of homeschooling, learning styles, and some curriculum choices as well as info on home school groups in all of the states an ...more
Dmreichle
Feb 13, 2015 Dmreichle rated it liked it
Good info although a bit too much in some areas, but you can skim over or skip that. It's also a bit dated as it was published over 10 years ago and internet resources have exploded in that time. It provided some good background on learning styles and approaches to homeschooling.
Dec 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book is full of ideas for homeschooling and provides an overview of several different methods. I kept a notebook beside me while reading this so I could jot down links, books, and curriculum that I would like to look into. The one thing that bothered me was the section about special needs children. The author believes that many children diagnosed with special needs actually have a character problem (or parenting problem).
Virginia
Although informative, much of this book seems dated. Also, I can't believe Pride thinks that Harry Potter is a bad influence. She is a bit too "Christian" - and in a really weird way.
Kristi
Jul 25, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it
Loved it! Learned a lot. Some of the information was outdated, but that's a-okay.
Rob and Lisa
Oct 16, 2008 Rob and Lisa rated it really liked it
Very informative
Sooy10
Sooy10 added it
Jun 20, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Kendra Rogers
Kendra Rogers marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Elaina Tuck
Elaina Tuck marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Jackie Moles
Jackie Moles marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Asma
Asma rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Evie
Evie rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Megan Bullington
Megan Bullington rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015