Start by marking “Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling: A Practical Homeschooling Book” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From taking the plunge to tapping into the myriad homeschooling resources, parents will discover:
-- The ten essential steps to homeschool success
-- Curriculum options organized by grade level, religious preference, and Educational philosophy
-- Help for homeschooling both challenged and gifted children
-- Inspirational vignettes about successful homeschooling
-- Resources fo
Published June 1st 2004 by Harvest House Publishers

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling

Rebecca
i'm looking at homeschooling, or alternative forms of education as i'm not thrilled with the school district we're in.
while this book has some good information, great definitions, it left a bad taste in my mouth with its quite literal holier than thou; anything from the government is of the DEVIL attitude.

while i understand there is a definite Christian movement in homeschooling, and even though I am a Christian, this book was not written for me. The impression i got from this book was that i
Lyn
Mike called this book, my "telephone book" about homeschooling. At times it read like a telephone book! A lot of what I read I have heard or read other places but for me reading it a second time really helped me to understand more of the different teaching/learning options in homeschooling. The one part that I did not like was that the author's sentiments about government involvement in homeschooling was infused in many parts of the book. But it is titled, Mary Pride's complete guide to homescho ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who are interested in homeschooling or already are homeschooling
Shelves: my-books-read
This book is VERY good. It lists so many different resources, advice, different homeschool methods, and ideas. This was the first book I read when I was interested in homeschooling my children. It caught my eye so much and gave so much information that I decided to homeschool!
Amy
This is a great source of information to get started homeschooling. It is only one opinion though, so I found that I agreed with some of her methods and not so much on others. It really gave me the confidence and knowledge that I need to get started homeschooling.
Kristy Powers
This book will be helpful if you agree with all of Mary Pride's opinions and beliefs in terms of religion and the function of parents (i.e., parents should protect children from all knowledge that is not biblically-based: an example of dangerous material is mythology).
Carrie
A great starting point for someone who is planning to start Homeschooling. It explains the different styles of homeschooling, gives curriculum suggestions, and ideas for avoiding beginning mistakes.
Catherine
Lots of good information, but I disagreed strongly with much in the chapter preaching about avoiding charter schools and involvement with local government.
Kerri Simpson
I was looking for helpful information because Im considering homeschool my young one. This book actually gave me some of the information I was looking for. While just talking about your homeschooling experience is nice its not the stand alone information Im looking for. This book had both. I was homeschooled but I still want information and resources before I begin. This book helped alot.
Helena
Overwhelming and seemed a little dated. Not really what I needed.
Terri Lynn
Mary Pride has both homebirthed and homeschooled her family just as I have so though she is a Christian and I am an Atheist, I have found her Big Book of Home Learning useful since the 1990's. This book was volume 1 of the redone Big Book of Home Learning which only got to the first volume but this book is quite useful, even to an Atheist like myself. She discusses methods of homeschooling, learning styles, and some curriculum choices as well as info on home school groups in all of the states an ...more
This book is full of ideas for homeschooling and provides an overview of several different methods. I kept a notebook beside me while reading this so I could jot down links, books, and curriculum that I would like to look into. The one thing that bothered me was the section about special needs children. The author believes that many children diagnosed with special needs actually have a character problem (or parenting problem).
Virginia
Although informative, much of this book seems dated. Also, I can't believe Pride thinks that Harry Potter is a bad influence. She is a bit too "Christian" - and in a really weird way.
Kristi
Loved it! Learned a lot. Some of the information was outdated, but that's a-okay.
Rob and Lisa
Very informative
S
S added it
Dec 12, 2014
Mary Krueger
Mary Krueger marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Lorrie
Lorrie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Bassam Salem
Bassam Salem marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Heba Albaba
Heba Albaba marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Deborah Travis
Deborah Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Alaa
Alaa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Cindi
Cindi added it
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality All the Way Home: Power for Your Family to Be Its Best Schoolproof The Big Book of Home Learning Volume 1 Getting Started: Introduces All Major Home School Methods and Answers Your Most Frequently Asked Questions The Child Abuse Industry: Outrageous Facts and Everyday Rebellions Against a System That Threatens Every North American Family