Say Hello to Zorro!

Say Hello to Zorro!

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,552 ratings  ·  234 reviews
Mister Bud has a schedule. Things like wake-up time, nap time, snooze time, and shift-position-and-rest-some-more time are carefully planned. And everyone in his house follows his schedule. Then disaster: A strange dog comes home at make-a-fuss time and throws off the whole schedule! Zorro is his name. And he is bossy. Mister Bud and Zorro want nothing to do with each other—...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

karen
another great dog book from tommy!

this one tells the story of mr. bud, a dog who is very set in his ways: when he eats, when he is taken for a walk, when it is nap-time...

but then - OH NO - A NEW DOG MOVES IN!!

and this dog has his own opinions about how things are going to be.

can they find a way to live together? and share? and find compatible activities in which to engage?

probably. this is a kid's book after all.

but awwww

i love zorro. he is the really grouchy-looking pug on the left. do you see...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 09, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like dogs, kids who are about to welcome a new child into the family
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This story is incredibly adorable and very amusing. The dogs’ schedules are just about right and the doggie behaviors are captured well.

I could have done without the cat chasing, and a little bit more interaction between dog and human family members would have made it feel even more authentic. But it’s a really cute story. Kids who love and know dogs are likely to enjoy it and it would be a perfect book for families who are about to welcome a new child into the family.

And, yes, schedules are ve...more
Miriam
May 14, 2012 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Tommy
Shelves: picture
I would have liked to see a little involvement from their owner -- does anyone who has a pet not think that introducing a second animal could be complicated? And both dogs are in serious need of some training -- but otherwise it was very cute and an accurate portrayal of doggy behavior and routine. I'm looking forward to reading this with my niece.
Steph Sinclair

My kids and I really enjoyed reading this book. We've been in a slump recently reading Little White Rabbit over and over again, but I finally convinced my 3 year old to try one of her other library books out. She LOVED it.

Mister Buds has his routine down pack and one day it is all interrupted with a new addition to the family: Zorro. My daughter loved the reactions the two dogs had to each other. It was very comical. When Zorro climbed on the couch, hugged his toys close, and yelled at Mister Bu...more
Kathryn
Very cute and humorous story about Mister Bud, the one and only pampered pooch at his house where everyone knows to follow HIS schedule. When one day a new dog arrives to join the family, Mister Bud is not pleased. He doesn't want to share anything with Zorro! But, soon, he realizes that they have the same schedule, and that maybe it's more fun with two. Very charming and humorous, dog lovers will appreciate this story. It could also be a good choice for families with a new baby in the house as...more
Heidi
I love this! I think most of it is in the illustrations, which are simple but very telling. I love their expressions! Parts of this I think I get even more because I have lived in a home with a dog (or two). Very understated humor which I loved, too. I really enjoy the two dogs eventually getting along--most of the time (and a message is there should you choose to see it!). Very fun. Not quite a storytime choice since the children wouldn't be able to see the priceless and telling expressions as...more
April Thompson
I'm a stickler for a schedule, so I can completely understand the importance of them!

Simplistic book, with a great story and cute dogs.
Richard
I don't write a lot of reviews but I just have to say something about this one. What initially grabbed me was the illustration style - incredibly expressive characters and full of real action. Coming from a character designer for animation I can't say I'm surprised.

What really impressed me, and has had me showing this to a bunch of people, is the simplicity of the story and how true the dog relationships are between Mr. Bud and Zorro. I have seen the new dog/old dog scenario play out in my hous...more
Wendy
Wednesday Night Working with Celeste on the Kid's Floor! pt. 2

this book is adorable. If you're a dog lover/owner, go read this book. You'll find yourself inserting your dog into the story.

Mister Bud had it pretty good. Everything was just right. He has a schedule, and he does all the things that I'm sure 99.9% of all dogs love to do.

"THAT WAS IT. THAT WAS THE SCHEDULE AND EVERYBODY STUCK TO THE SCHEDULE."

UNTIL: Zorro appears.

My dog is totally like this ... and, so is my son, but let's stick w...more
Tasha
Mister Bud had a great life. He had his own bed, his own toys, his own dish, and best of all, his own schedule. His schedule had plenty of nap time, meal time, and walks. Everyone followed the schedule. Period. But one day, the schedule was interrupted when a stranger showed up. Zorro, a new dog, was moving in with them. At first it was tough and there were fights, but then both Mister Bud and Zorro realized that their lives were a lot better together. And everyone followed the new schedule. Per...more
Halley Todd
If you have ever wondered about what your dog's daily schedule is like, Bud and Zorro can tell you all about it. Bud was just fine being the only dog. He had his schedule, and made sure him and his owners stuck to it. One day, though, his schedule was interrupted. At greet and make a fuss time, a new dog came in with his owner! His name was Zorro. The two dogs did not get along at all. They each didn't want to share their own things with the other dog. However, one day, they discovered that they...more
Dolly
Jul 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story that depicts the importance of our daily routine and the disturbance created when a new member of the family arrives. The book has a simple narrative and fun illustrations. We enjoyed reading this story together. I also enjoyed listening to the elemetary school librarian read this book aloud to our youngest daughter's second-grade class. It's an entertaining book to read aloud.

This book was selected as one of the books for the July 2013 - Cats and Dogs discussion at the Pictu...more
Cheryl in CC NV
A little abrupt - relatively lots of time spent setting up the situation, very little time on the resolution of the conflict. You can't just wave a magic wand/ come to one realization and the rivalry will blossom into friendship.

I want there to be another book, with some fine-tuning of the r'ship between the dogs, and so we can see more of them. While the pictures weren't 'lovely' they were appropriate.

They also are apt in that they only show the owners' relevant body parts in each scene. Do you...more
June
Aug 08, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
A dog is very happy with life and his schedule, until another bossy dog is introduced. However, they discover that they have the same schedule and two can be more fun. Very cute, but I am not sure that the idea of a schedule is quite understandable for a young crowd. I might have to try it for my dog story time in August and see how it is received. 7/11

I tried this with my PJ Storytime since there were some older children, but it didn't go over big. 7/31/12

Used this year for Story Time. A few ch...more
Kylee Myers
This book is about a dog named Mr. Bud who had his own schedule that he followed day by day. It seemed that everyone followed the schedule. Then one day, his owner came home with another dog named Zorro. They didn't get along at first; they were both really mean to each other, and then they realized that they had the same schedule. All of a sudden, they became best friends, and suddenly their schedules became more fun!

This book, to me, has voice. It has voice of a dog with an attitude that doesn...more
Jamie
This is on the 2014 Monarch list.

What a gem! This was so fun. Mister Bud's schedule, Zorro's arrival, their conflicts, the resolution--what a great story arc. The text is funny and perfect and the art compliments & extends. This is as much a funny story about dogs as it is a parallel to sibling rivalry. I loved it and my boys did, too.
The illustrations in this book really shine and help tell the story of Mister Bud, who is the happiest dog until Zorro is introduced into the house. The expressions are absolutely priceless. Only later did I discover that Carter Goodrich was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has also designed characters Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Open Season and Ratatouille. Well, it definitely shows in this book.

The text of the story is wonderful but the expressions really drive the feud betwe...more
Suse
This was a day in the life of my dog. I loved it and thought it was an accurate portrayal of the day to day activities of your average house pet. Points for also being a potential useful tool for the "hey...I know you don't want one but you are getting a sibling" situations.
Apparently this is the story of my dogs, Zorro actually looks a small amount like Oscar. I wouldn't go so far as to say my dogs are now best friends though, more like room mates who share the same schedule.
Aimee Owen
Will the new dog in the house throw off Mr. Bud's tight schedule? Or will he make a new friend? Youngsters will love these two pups!
Kelly  Maybedog
May 16, 2012 Kelly Maybedog rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kelly by: Lisa Vegan
Cute story, really cute illustrations. I want a poster of the dogs sleeping together.
Rachel
Perfect story. I love the expressions on the dogs faces.
Rachel
Order Muppets and Chaos Muppets make the best friends. ;)
Sandy
Good ol' Mr. Bud. He had things just the way he liked them. He had his schedule just right. My favorite is number 4: Shift-position-nap-some-more time. And number 6: Greet and make a fuss time is pretty good too. Then Zorro came to live in Mr. Bud's house. How will they get along? There was trouble at first. Then something strange happened. And the greet and make a fuss time was much louder.

I just love Zorro and Mr. Bud. What great dogs. If you like this book you should also read Zorro gets an...more
Kristen
Feb 20, 2013 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers, children, children's librarians, storytime
There are many reasons to enjoy this book if you are a parent or child, or if you were once a sibling who experienced the addition of another sibling in your family. The pictures are clear and poignant, frequently entertaining by their own right. Some children might possibly enjoy "reading" this book without even learning the words written on the pages. The pictures tell the story well.

Most importantly, the pictures enhance the content of the story and add humor that I have not seen very often...more
Brunette Librarian
It’s always hard when your parents bring home a new sibling...or when your entire existence is upset with an addition that you clearlyweren't’t expecting. That’s exactly the situationthat poor Bud is in when his family brings home a new dog named Zorro!

Used to his schedule, Bud is a very particular pup. He knows when he sleeps, he has specific times for his outside excursions, and he greets his humans in a certain way. One day his family brings home a new dog who upsets everything he ever h...more
April
1. Rating: 4
2. A book review from Publisher's Weekly says, "This stylish exploration of canine sibling rivalry gains from Goodrich's (The Hermit Crab) understated humor, sharp eye for the nuances of domestic relationships, and talent for painting lumpy sleeping dogs. Mister Bud—a hound of indeterminate breed with an enormous, moist snout—has something even more important than possessions. "He had his own schedule. And everybody stuck to the schedule." When a small pug named Zorro shows up at "Gr...more
Cameron Crane

The Story: Say Hello to Zorro! is the humorous story of a dog named Bud, who has a very good life and a very strict schedule which consists of things like "Nap Time" and "Shift-position-and-nap-some-more time". Every day he wakes up and knows that things will go according to plan. That all changes when one day he runs to the door and is greeted by Zorro, the new dog. Bud is not pleased, but over time, begins to realize his schedule might be as good as before, and maybe even better.

The Rhythm: Go...more
Katelyn
The picture- story book, Say Hello to Zorro! by Carter Goodrich had a fun story line. This picture- story book is great for children ages 4-8 due to its simplicity. I liked how the illustrations went along with the story line, and expressed Bud and Zorro's facial expressions. I feel you could pair this picture- story book with teaching your children how it is important to get into a routine. Children, especially at a younger age, need routine in their daily lives to make it less chaotic! They wi...more
Allison Parker
Mister Bud has his own schedule, and he sticks to it, no exceptions. There's wake-up time, walk time, and nap time immediately followed by "shift-position-and-nap-some-more-time." But when a stranger named Zorro arrives at his home, trouble ensues. After some growling and snapping (mainly over toy sharing, or the lack thereof), Mister Bud and Zorro discover the uniting power of the shared schedule. It turns out that each day's activities might be even more enjoyable with a partner.

Dog enthusiast...more
  • RRRalph
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Cloudette
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Dog in Charge
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
Carter Goodrich has illustrated sixteen New Yorker covers and was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has designed characters for many other beloved animated films, including Brave, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, Open Season, and Ratatouille, for which he won the International Animated Film Society’s Annie Award for character design. A Rhode Island School of Design graduate, he has twi...more
More about Carter Goodrich...
Zorro Gets an Outfit A Creature Was Stirring Mister Bud Wears the Cone The Hermit Crab The Miner's Freedom