Start by marking “Tread Lightly: Form, Footwear, and the Quest for Injury-Free Running” as Want to Read:
Tread Lightly: Form, Footwear, and the Quest for Injury-Free Running

Tread Lightly: Form, Footwear, and the Quest for Injury-Free Running

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Praise for the work of Peter Larson

"Larson presents a wealth of balanced info on the raging debate over proper running form and minimalist running shoes." —Erin Beresini, Outside Online

“Peter Larson is both a scientist and a realist when it comes to running shoes, and that's a good combination.” —Amby Burfoot, Peak Performance Blog, Runner's World

Humans evolved over the mi
Published June 1st 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tread Lightly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tread Lightly

Todd Johnson
After the "Born to Run" audiobook I was itching for something more firmly rooted in reality. This was just that.

Most of the book is a pretty thorough literature survey on subjects like footwear, foot plant when running, arm swing when running, stride rate, and stride length, and all of their effects on injury and efficiency. The tl;dr is that you can run safely pretty much any way that's comfortable to you, as long as you ramp up slowly and build strength along the way.

(The authors do come dow
Jeremy
There are a lot of things in this book to like. The history of shoes is great, and the discussion of scientific studies on gait and footwear is a lot more interesting than it sounds. The last chapter is inexplicably devoted to the paleo diet, which seems really out of place in a book primarily about shoes and running form. Aside from that, there's a lot of fascinating stuff.

I'm giving this three stars instead of four because the narrator of the audiobook said "casual" when I'm 100% sure the aut
Mikey Sklar
Fun read. I learned a bit about running injuries and not to make a big fuss over shoes.
Sam-Omar Hall
A nice companion to "Born to Run," picking up where that book left off regarding: if humans have evolved to run long distances, why do runners seem to suffer so many injuries?

The book is half science - the science of running injuries, running shoes, running form,

and half lore - the history of running, persistence hunting, the evolution of running shoes, exceptional runners of the past.

It's all very readable and interesting if you're a runner. The discussion of running shoes was particularly enli
Lars J. Nilsson
I haven't read very many running books. In fact, I've only read three that I can remember, one being Christopher MacDougal's legendary "Born to Run", and Jason Robillard's excellent "The Barefoot Running Book".

And having read Robillard this book nicely fills in the gaps, fleshes out and in generally expands on the topic of barefoot running versus shoes, the history of running, the mechanics of running, injury prevention and so on. While Robillard is hard core barefoot, this book doesn't take an
Peter Leventis
As a runner, I spend some time thinking about how I can run more efficiently. Tread Lightly discusses, as the by-line suggests, "form, footwear and the quest for injury-free running". One of the authors is a former Anatomy professor, so he has a research/scientific/evidence-based approach to this.

After spending some time discussing the history of running and the development/evolution of the running shoe, the authors support a less-is-more approach to running shoes--i.e. they provide evidence aga
Katie
I picked up this book in the hopes of trying to figure out why I seem to be plagued with running injuries more frequently lately. Is it overuse? Or age? Maybe both but honestly probably just age--groan. Anyway, this book is all about examining running injuries and their causes, prevention, and related myths (i.e. "barefoot running cures all ills". Not so).

This book was very well-researched, even though ultimately we don't know much of anything about running injuries. There were some interesting
Pete Murphy
May 13, 2013 Pete Murphy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People and looking for a neutral pros and cons book on things like barefoot running, diet etc.
I am just getting into running and have read a few books on the topic such as Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and Finding Ultra by Rich Roll however I found this book to be the best of the three I have read so far (I would still strongly recommend the other books mentioned).

However Tread Lightly by Peter Larson and Bill Larson is rather than being an inspiration or interesting story is more informative and full of running facts. I particularly liked the neutral way the two authors present f
Kent Say

It's hard to get the facts on where the state of the science in terms of running and injuries and how best to avoid them. This book covered the basis well...

Main take aways: we really don't have great answers yet. If you are a beginner and try to do too much too fast you are more likely to get hurt. A varied routine may help (i.e. not running on the same street, with the same shoes, etc). We have no clue in terms of why some types of shoes work for some people and not for others... try different
Doug Newdick
Tread Lightly is compulsory reading for every serious runner. Peter Larson has written a highly readable book about how to avoid running injuries. The beauty of this book is how it summarises and puts into a practical context the latest scientific and medical research on the mechanics of running and injuries. Avoiding fads the advice that Peter Larson gives is both practical and well-grounded. You are never given bare advice. Each time the latest research is explained and the advice is related t ...more
Barbara
Great book for new runners or long-time runners looking to increase their knowledge on the sport and on the shoes available in the market. When a consensus can't be made on a topic, such as the best foot strike to implement, they present all sides in a fair manner and criticize flawed arguments when necessary (e.g. the shoe fitting process at stores and marketing techniques used by shoe manufacturers to pigeon-hole runners in shoe types (i.e. stability shoes vs neutral vs barefoot)). I enjoyed t ...more
Erica
Full disclosure: I didn't actually read the whole book, both for time reasons (it was due back at the library) and also because a lot of the information just wasn't useful to me. I wanted tips on how to improve or change my form, and instead got a history on the evolution of humans as runners (hey, I already read Born To Run), or a thorough history on ALL types of shoes (interesting, but again, not why I got the book!). I started skipping to chapters that I thought might be more relevant and did ...more
Ta0paipai
It's less agenda oriented than "Born to Run," but isn't nearly as fun. "Tread Lightly" examines studies done on shoes, foot-striking, and stride length. While I left the book more educated than I came, most of my questions are still unanswered. But that is the case with running and injuries.
Dbfsee
I've been running 8Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons for years. I decided I wanted to start running full marathons now. This is a good book. Good information on speed, diet, running form, and running history.
Caitlin
The work presents a well-balanced and researched look at the proper footwear, the evolution of running and the cultural differences in running (for example, Kenyans run barefoot for transportation).

It could have use a little editing, as some themes were repeated; however, each chapter can be written independently of the others so it may be attributable to that.
Travis
Definitely for real hardcore runners who have been following the trends since 2009 or so. If you are an intense shoe geek you will like this book (you know who you are). Lots of info, very informative, got a little dry in a couple parts as the authors were giving you statistics like crazy - but some people love that stuff. Over all I think they did a great job putting in to place a lot of information without leaning to far one way or trying to sway the reader to try something that might not work ...more
Eric Schreiber
I really enjoyed this one - an easy read with lots of great detail, data, and stories about running. The authors cover many aspects of running - human evolution, the past ~100 years of elite runner history, the evolution of running shoes, how running stores work, cadence, stride, foot strike, upper body, nutrition - all kinds of good stuff. They don't take a hard stance and say one way is the only way, and they cover all kinds of interesting studies and research. I come away feeling much better ...more
Low
Jun 16, 2012 Low rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: running
This is not a manual or a step by step book on how to achieve the correct running form rather it's all of the knowledge that both the authors have garnered through out the years and it's presented that way. It was a fairly easy read, although initially I had to get over the fact the fact that they do not really make any recommendations or show you anything.

Will this book change the way you run ? Not likely but then you will know more about the current research that is going on surrounding runni
Robert Kosara
This is a great book with lots of good, well-sourced, current information. What it doesn't do is advocate a particular style of running, footwear, etc. It can seem a bit too neutral at times, but the authors do a good job of showing both sides of the evidence and in particular that there is little clear indication that any one thing is definitely better than the other. The only thing they clearly argue against is overstriding, though you can work on that whether you heel-strike or not.
Jonathan Grant
Interesting. Makes me want to read further about form.
Sarah Delacueva
Great book with lots of information about how humans evolved as runners and the history of running shoes. It discusses foot strike, gait, and form (and how there is no one perfect version of any of those things). The book is largely geared toward helping people figure out how to avoid running injuries. Super fun for me because for some reason I like to read about running. I also really enjoy the runblogger blog written by one of the authors (Peter Larson).
Štěpán
Skvělá kniha o běhání, asi nejlepší co jsem v životě četl.
Jill Will Run
Based on the title, I assumed that the book would have a really heavy-handed “minimalism, minimalism, minimalism” agenda. And I wouldn’t mind if it did, since I do tend to lean toward that direction myself. But the book presented multiple facets of running that were all very balanced and thoughtfully presented.
Beth
Coupled well with Born to Run and the barefoot minimalist shoe debate. Good data points I'm ready to try different shoes and no shoes (beach runs are shoeless and I know how good they feel) and let my natural pronation and wide Irish Peasant feet do what they were designed to do. Slowly and gradually. Injuries suck.
Jack
This book ranged between a 2 and a 4 for me, depending on the section. I definitely found some useful information, but somehow this book wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be.
Walter Higgins
A great read. Chock full of common sense advice for runners of all experience.
Abe
Great book to prepare for a half-marathon.
  • The Little Red Book of Running
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • The Cool Impossible: The Coach from "Born to Run" Shows How to Get the Most from Your Miles-And From Yourself
  • Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Never Wipe Your Ass with a Squirrel: A Trail and Ultramarathon Running Guide for Weird Folks
  • The Ultimate Beginner's Running Guide: The Key to Running Inspired
  • Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession
  • Lore of Running
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Move Your DNA
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Unbreakable Runner: Unleash the Power of Strength & Conditioning for a Lifetime of Running Strong
  • Complete Calisthenics - The Ultimate Guide To Bodyweight Exercise
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
Embedded: The Media At War in Iraq: An Oral History Return to Fitness: Getting Back in Shape after Injury, Illness, or Prolonged Inactivity Patriots Act: Voices of Dissent and the Risk of Speaking Out The World According to Gore: The Incredible Vision of the Man Who Should Be President 1,001 Pearls of Runners' Wisdom: Advice and Inspiration for the Open Road (1001 Pearls)