Start by marking “Peter the Great” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Peter the Great

Jacob Abbott

Peter the Great (Makers of History #20)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by B&R Samizdat Express (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Peter the Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter the Great

Jean
Most of the reading I've done on Peter the Great has been topically arranged, so it's nice to read something presented chronologically for a change, and get the feeling of his life as a story. And it's a very engrossing story! Almost a fairy tale.

Still, only four stars because I'd heard most of it before, and there was only a very short chapter about everything that happens after the death of Alexi. And no mention of the stories surrounding Peter's death (however spurious they may be, they migh
Jeannie
This is another great history in a series of books by Jacob Abbott. I listened to this on Livervox. It was fast moving and gave a great back ground of the Russian people, and more of an understanding of who they are and the background that's made up their country.
Scott Harris
I was not terribly familiar with the story of the great Russian Tsar Peter prior to reading this collection and was impressed with his amazing conquests, notwithstanding his reign of terror. He was very clearly a force to be reckoned within both inside his kingdom and beyond. The closing chapters chronicling the sad episode with his son and the eventual passing of the throne to his wife Catherine are almost biblical in their aspects.
Thom Swennes
Peter the Great by Jacob Abbott is a comprehensive sketch of one of Russia’s best known sovereigns. The “Great” that has been attached to him is ambiguous and somewhat perplexing. He, as so many of his family, held their position with a strong hand and didn’t hesitate to use death and a liberal distribution of gore to secure it. True, he did do much to improve Russia and bring her on a more even footing with other countries of Europe but his methods were tyrannical to say the least. Thousands, i ...more
Phil Syphe
I read this bio of Peter the Great as I'm interested in history yet know - or knew - hardly anything about this famous Russian Czar.

I found the rivalry Peter had with half-sister Sophia at the early stages of his life to be interesting. It's a shame that Abbott details the latter stages of Sophia's life so early in the narrative, as when she "reappears" later on as a potential threat to Peter's reign, I know nothing will happen because the author has already stated what becomes of Sophia.

This wi
Katie
I'm no the biggest fan of old history books, but this was read pretty well! I'd say that its biggest strength was its smaller details. While not particularity plentiful, the small details this book contained did paint powerful pictures of Peter's personality (and later, Catherine's and Alexis's). The not-so-great of this book is mostly to be expected -- the book doesn't always give us the broader context. For example, though Peter is constantly at odds with traditionalists who oppose him, very f ...more
Sooz
i really have no idea whether this account of Peter the Great is considered a good one or not. i found it on the Gutenberg website and have been reading it a chapter at a time - mostly at work on my lunch break - and have quite enjoyed the authors dramatic flare.

"maddened by rage and by all the other dreadful excitements of the contest, press on furiously upon their flying and falling foes"

see? see what i mean? obviously Peter the Great provides great story fodder but there are likely historia
Terry
This was very interesting history. The book wasn't well written by today's standards, but it does go back to the mid-19th Century. It repeats itself occasionally and makes interesting observations, like the size of the US army being only 15000 soldiers. My how things have changed!

Abbott brings Peter to life. My own grandfather came from Germans brought to Russian to teach the Russians how to farm. He was a great man for a cruel despot and he transformed the empire.
seanc
This was possibly the wrong version to read. The writing style is simplistic, if not condescending, and the author repeats information he has already disclosed in previous chapters like it was new. Not what I would classify as quality writing, but it does give useful insight into the chronology of Peter's rise and reign.
Karen Miller
An important piece of the Russian history puzzle. Well written and free to my kindle reader! A well written shorter account. Peter really was the first of the significant Romanov Dynasty which would last until 1918. Details the cunning along with the cruelty that he used to strengthen and exploit his power.
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is interesting, particularly since I knew nothing about Peter the Great before I listened to this. I very much doubt I'll read anything else on the subject, because I didn't find it particularly compelling, but I'm glad I read it.
Michael Jones
actually not a bad way to become familiar with some of the history of Russia. I'm not sure how the Russians feel about it, but it gave me some idea of the sweep of the country before communism.
M
If you are curious abt pre communist russian history this book is a nice place to begin with and get an overview...a plain historical account and truly easy read...
Barry
Left me wanting to know more about the subject. I found the dated contemporary asides & comparisons fascinating.
Travis Anderson
Travis Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Fernanda Sylva
Fernanda Sylva marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Revanth Ukkalam
Revanth Ukkalam marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Torbjorn Toby Jorgensen
Torbjorn Toby Jorgensen marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Edna Rankine
Edna Rankine is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Du Nguyen Van
Du Nguyen Van is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Celeste Goldie
Celeste Goldie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Abbott was born at Hallowell, Maine to Jacob and Betsey Abbott. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1820; studied at Andover Theological Seminary in 1821, 1822, and 1824; was tutor in 1824-1825, and from 1825 to 1829 was professor of mathematics and natural philosophy at Amherst College; was licensed to preach by the Hampshire Association in 1826; founded the Mount Vernon School for Young Ladies ...more
More about Jacob Abbott...

Makers of History (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Makers of History: Charles I
  • Mary Queen of Scots
  • History of Alexander the Great
  • History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings)
  • Hannibal (Yesterday's Classics)
  • History of William the Conqueror
  • History of King Charles II of England
  • Queen Elizabeth
  • King Alfred of England
  • Xerxes
History of Alexander the Great Cleopatra History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings) Mary Queen of Scots Genghis Khan, Makers of History Series