Start by marking “Unlucky for Some (Lloyd & Hill, #13)” as Want to Read:
Unlucky for Some (Lloyd & Hill, #13)

Unlucky for Some (Lloyd & Hill #13)

February 13th: what seemed like Wilma Fenton's lucky night, when she scooped her biggest-ever win at bingo, turned out to be the night she died at the hands of someone lurking in the dimly-lit alleyway leading to her flat.

And what seems to be a lucky break - there was an eyewitness to the whole incident - turns out to be a complication, for the man who saw the murder commi
Published August 1st 2005 by Pan Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky for Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky for Some

Damaskcat
Nov 06, 2015 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The joint winner of a Bingo prize is found dead in an alleyway not far from the Bingo club shortly after she left to walk home. Tony Baker, a journalist and broadcaster witnesses the murder. He had a huge success investigating a case of a serial killer which had the police stumped some years before and has made a name for himself making programmes about various aspects of crime.

Immediately after the murder Baker starts receiving anonymous letter apparently from the killer which provide informati
Kim
Apr 30, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I think this may be the last one from this author. I will really miss this series, there's not a bad one in the bunch. I'll miss Lloyd and Judy for a while.
LaurenD
Dec 20, 2016 LaurenD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New author, for me

Tried out a new author and glad I did. Great mystery writer.
Amazon wants eight more words but I'm done.
Nancy
Mar 05, 2017 Nancy added it
Jill Hutchinson
Oct 12, 2011 Jill Hutchinson rated it liked it
A good entry into the Lloyd/Hill series.....but not one of the best. The story concerns the seemingly unconnected murders which began as a suspected mugging for the bingo winnings of a local woman. Two more murders follow and there seems to be a connection to the gambling halls owned by one of the characters. Enter an insufferable television journalist whose claim to fame is the capture of a serial killer several years previous. He stirs up the proceedings and attempts to convince Lloyd and Hill ...more
Gary Van Cott
Jun 11, 2015 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is the thirteenth and sadly the last Lloyd and Hill book as the author passed away at the age of 59 in 2007. It is a shame that the series ends here as the personal and professional relationship of Lloyd and Hill had become more interesting in the last few books than it was through most of the early part of the series.

This book does share a common flaw with many of the books. There are many non-police characters and the author sometimes refers to them by their first names and oth
Andy Plonka
Sep 19, 2013 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
It's been a while since I read this series, but it's a good one, especially the interplay between husband and wife, detectives Lloyd and Hill. Although it seemed obvious from the beginning who the perpetrator was, there was enough doubt to keep you interested and the ending was not quite as expected.
Deane
Oct 24, 2015 Deane rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The last book in the Lloyd and Hill series....as usual a great story except I found the repetitive discussions between the detectives and the suspects rather drawn out....as if these conversations were "fillers" so the story bogged down a bit for me. Wonder if Judy did become the superintendent.....
FM
I wasn't going to add my British mysteries to Shelfari, but decided I should just so I would remember which ones I had read. I enjoy McGown's novels and they're hard to find in the library. I've enjoyed seeing how the characters have changed over the years. This particular one was good but not as memorable as some of her others . . .
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback

The thirteenth in the Lloyd and Hill series, and another good one. A devilishly complicated plot where I was convinced I knew exactly who the murderer was at all times, I just had a different suspect every ten pages. I don't think McGown's published the next book in the series yet, but I'll be watching out for the hardback.

Ann
Jan 21, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Charming murder mystery with Lloyd and Hill that contains full-blown compelling characters, lots of regional detail and keeps you guessing until the end. The satisfying solution is as complicated as the series of seemingly unrelated murders.
Claudia
Jan 14, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Masterpiece Theatre's Mystery series, you'll like this. It reads like a script of one of those movies. Good characters, enough red herrings and twists to keep you guessing, and Simon Baker (The Mentalist) would be perfect in the role of Tony Baker. Highly enjoyable read.
Lisa
Dec 21, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
my first Jill Mcgown. It was an ok read but I can't say it was the most compelling read ever.
Deb
Oct 26, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
Shonna Froebel
Jan 07, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Very good as expected.
Some interesting twists and turns. Good characters.
Bevjirwin
Sep 10, 2014 Bevjirwin rated it really liked it
loved it. just a well written british police procedural.what could be better?
Elizabeth F Mathewson
Good story

This is a decent mystery, very British, nicely told with too much reliance on passive voice. The book is a pleasant way to spend time by the fire. Read it.
Joanne Nugent
Jan 26, 2017 Joanne Nugent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best of Britain

As usual McGown's book was a pleasure to read. T was full of suspense and twists. It was also warm and friendly with humor and characters you felt you knew.
Miki
Feb 04, 2010 Miki rated it it was ok
I hate it when a book is so forgettable that I read it again...even though I didnt't like it the first time! Still don't.
Andrea Sachs
Sep 09, 2013 Andrea Sachs rated it really liked it
I really like her mysteries, and this was a good puzzler.
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Patricia Fiske
Patricia Fiske rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Johanna
Johanna rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Jeff Howe
Jeff Howe rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2017
kevin
kevin rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2017
Susan
Susan rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2008
Ellen Sneddon
Ellen Sneddon rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Alicia Anderson
Alicia Anderson rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Dark Undertakings (Drew Slocombe, #1)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • To Fear a Painted Devil
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)
  • The Bishop at the Lake (Blackie Ryan, #16)
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • A Likeness In Stone
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more
More about Jill McGown...

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)