Start by marking “Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)” as Want to Read:
Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)

Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,716 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
Twittercide: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper's brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Social Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Social Suicide

Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
56th out of 145 books — 843 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren OliverReached by Ally CondieSpell Bound by Rachel Hawkins
2012 Releases I'm Most Excited For
64th out of 269 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Apr 18, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it
Think you've heard it all? Think again! Twittercide... Death by Twitter? Not the worst way to go I suppose... *Eyes her Twitter suspiciously*

Yep, she is at it again; finding dead bodies is basically a regular pastime for our dear old Hartley. I adored her in Deadly Cool; she's still a fantastic protagonist in this sequel and I continue to love her attitude. Regardless of her wit, though, we clearly see some more maturity in her character. She is clever in her cunning ways, and knows when to stan
Wendy Darling
So fluffy and fun, it's ridiculous. :) Review to come!
Ariana
Mar 20, 2015 Ariana rated it really liked it
'Oh, fantastic amounts of fluffin' fudge.' ;))

This book is hilarious!
In fact there are no words to describe how much I enjoyed this book and how my face hurt from so much laughing. I don’t think there is one page in the whole book without a tiny little joke.

So, before starting to learn how to say 'hilarious' in at least 7 different languages, I will tell you what I liked about this book (and then, maybe you’ll tell the word for ‘hilarious’ in your language, and I’ll get to skip using google tra
Anushka
Social Suicide was as predictable as Deadly Cool , from the first page itself we had an idea who the killer was...so in the mystery department this book deserves maximum 3 stars. But I'll give it 4 for the narration, its just so hilarious.

I love love love the characters! Hartley, Sam and Chase have to be one of the coolest trio. All of them are so funny, sensible and stupid at the same time.
And holy fluffin' fluff Chase is H-O-T, I totally have a crush on that guy, plus Hartley and his dev
Anne
Oct 18, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok

Ehhhhhhhh.

The Good

Hartley and Chase have super-cute chemistry.
And some of Hartley's inner monologue is funny. Usually the stuff involving Chase...which brings us back to the super-cute chemistry thing.

The Not So Good

I get that for this to be a murder/mystery, someone has to die. I also get that our intrepid heroine needs to be involved in the resolution of said murder. What I don't get is why the author couldn't come up with some reason for Hartley to be 'on the case' that was within
Renu
Dec 28, 2012 Renu rated it really liked it
In the sequel to Deadly Cool we have a murder mystery, laugh-out-loud moments, Twittercide, crazy antics, and even some romance!

Hartley is now a member of the school newspaper. On her way to an interview with homecoming Queen-hopeful she discovers Sydney Sander's dead body in a pool, and it looks as if she's been electrocuted while tweeting...Twittercide. Once again, Hartley finds herself in the midst of a murder investigation...

I love Hartley, she is, in my opinion one the funniest YA heroines
Rachel (BAVR)
The second book in the Deadly Cool series features all of the fun humor and mystery I enjoyed in the first installment. And by all, I mean freaking ALL of the same things I enjoyed before.

This story followed a very, VERY close formula to the first (LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD):
- Girl is found dead.
- Hartley takes it upon herself to prove girl was murdered.
- Hartley comes up with lots of bad ideas and lies to adults AND authorities.
- Inconsequential flirting with Chase.
- More people get hurt.
- Hartley
Mitch
Apr 26, 2012 Mitch rated it really liked it
Anything by Gemma Halliday's always ridiculous fun, I've read a couple of her High Heels books and the first installment in this series, Deadly Cool, but Social Suicide is just on another level. There are plenty of sassy girl detectives, I mean there's an entire genre around them, reporters, interior decorators, dogwalkers, plus-sized innkeepers, confectionary shop owners, White House chefs, well, you get the picture, but Hartley Featherstone has them all beat in terms of sassy fun.

Seriously, wh
Jessie

This is a rant.
Warning: Spoilers Ahead

I can't believe Chase didn't make a move till the end of the book, I mean he was constantly hinting that he liked Hartley, but he just kept on making her appear all awkward by hinting a date that actually wasn't. I mean that scene was like, really awkward. And he didn't even apologize for misleading her. I know I won't ever forgive him for that if I was Hartley. Plus, why did he think Hartley would blame him for the whole thing, and what the hell is "So we'r
Maud
Aug 09, 2015 Maud rated it really liked it
The plot didn't feel as exciting for me but it took me a bit longer to figure out who did it. Really loved the plot and the character and the hints towards romance between some characters. I need more!
Rebecca McNutt
I've gotta stop reading these run-of-the-mill melodramatic HarperTeen novels. :-\

Social Suicide was in my opinion frankly very pointless. The plot was a mess, the Twitter thing was typical and confusing, the characters were shallow cardboard cut-outs with their entire minds on social media, and I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them. Now, to be fair, this is a YA novel and most young adults in this day and age are wrapped up in their stupid little electronic toys. Therefore, if
Mickey Reed
Sep 24, 2012 Mickey Reed rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2012
See full review here!

This is a hilarious murder mystery YA novel! The sequel to Deadly Cool, Social Suicide is funny, smart, and slightly irresistible. Hartley is crime-solving, super-reporting, downright hysterical main character filled to the brim with quips and curiosity. She's always in the middle of trouble, whether by accident or on purpose. Can she get to the bottom of a cheating scheme at her high school that leads to murder? Read on, readers!

Hartley has a lot to deal with in he
Abbie
May 29, 2013 Abbie rated it really liked it
I'll admit, I enjoyed the previous book more than I enjoyed this one but I still loved Social Suicide. It was witty, cleverly-written and kept me guessing until the last second.

So Hartley is on the school paper with her yummy crush Chase Erikson. She's assigned to write a story about Sydney Sander's cheating scandal. But just before they meet for the interview Hartley finds Sydney's eletrocuted body in the pool. It looked like an accident but Hartley knows there is always more to the story than
bekah
Jul 10, 2012 bekah rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Tabatha
Aug 06, 2014 Tabatha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This'll eventually be posted on my blog:

So.. I'll admit it, I've waited a few days (okay: ten, happy now?) to write this review. 'Why?' I hear you ask.. Because it was sofreakingepicandididn'twanttosoundlikesomementalpersonwhoisobsessedwiththisbookeventhoughireallyreallyambyrantingaboutitforhoursonendwithoutbreathingandendingupfaintingorsomthingequallyweird! And breathe..

*clears throat awkwardly*
Let me rephrase that: This book? In one word? Supercalifragilisicexpialidocious (yep, casually quot
Maria
May 10, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, e-book
I recommend Social Suicide.

*****

Well, i didn't laugh my pants off while reading Social Suicide. However, the fun was constant throughout the book. I chuckled time after time! I didn't even try to guess who the culprit was because i'd rather enjoy Hartley's wacky investigation on the murder. and I did. :)

Sam's a standout in this sequel. I lover her deadpans! and Chase... Ha! Even i will be as clumsy and assuming as Hartley was when it came to him. C'mon, Gemma Halliday, give me more Chase swoon m
Max Baker
Jun 19, 2015 Max Baker rated it it was ok
I bought Deadly Cool and Social Suicide at the same time, because I wanted to marathon the first two books in a funny YA mystery series. I did not buy them so I could read the same book twice, which is obviously what ended up happening. Social Suicide is essentially Deadly Cool without as much snark and far more teen drama then necessary.

This book picks up after an undetermined amount of time after the first one. Alarm bells immediately started ringing when the first chapter is essentially Hartl
i.
May 02, 2015 i. rated it liked it
Read my short review of both Deadly Cool and Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday on my blog
Mitchii
Is there a next book after this? Because I’m really, really afraid that it’ll become repetitive. And I’m scared that I might get tired of the same routine. And not even the humor will save it.

Tweeting while swimming? Deadly.

Thank goodness for the humor and the characters because if weren’t for these two I’ll find Social Suicide completely the same as Deadly Cool. So like the last time, there’s another dead student. Official news was that Sydney committed suicide. But Hartley knew better, she kne
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
I adore this series. It totally feeds into a more grown up Nancy Drew need I have. This series is fun, witty, and twisted. Gemma Halliday does a wonderful job keeping things moving and quick. I never once got bored with this novel, nor with its prequel. It’s great to grab a book and breeze through it in an afternoon.

Hartley is one of the best narrators I’ve ever read in a novel. Maybe it’s because she’s an intrepid reporter, maybe it’s because she’s a total smart ass, but I love her to pieces. S
Kereesa
Sep 05, 2012 Kereesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series.
Just as hilarious as the first one, Social Suicide doesn't fail to deliver an exciting, hilarious plot, wonderful characters, and a little, little bite of the romance we all know we're waiting to explode.

(view spoiler)

I'm not a big fan of delving into long-winded reviews for sequels, especially if I honestly don't have much to say besides fangirling! it was pretty awesome.

So yeah. This book? I lurves it. I also
Asmaa
After reading two emotional heavy books in a row, a nice light fluffy read was seriously in need; and who is better than Gemma Halliday and her Deadly Cool series to lighten the mood?

What I first noticed and mostly liked about the book was Sam’s attempt (which rubbed off on Hartley) to censor using alternate words like fluffing, and fudge, which reminded me a lot of:

Hartley Featherstone is still one of my most favorite female characters: she’s smart, funny, sarcastic, headstrong, and has that Ve
Thea Silayro
May 13, 2012 Thea Silayro rated it it was ok
If you've read Deadly Cool and liked it, then you might just like this too. If you've read Deadly Cool and wasn't exactly gobsmacked by it, I doubt this book will interest you. The thing is, Deadly Cool and Social Suicide are alike in so many ways.

In this book, Hartley continues her "Nancy Drew" escapades. She hears of the death of a popular cheerleader in school via electrocution. Everybody thinks it's suicide, but Hartley doesn't think so. Her detective instincts lead her to the belief that it
Marie
Jul 11, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant addition to this series.
Enjoyed it as much as the first- even though I will always prefer te first since it was the start-up and it's where we all got introduced to the charachters.

Unlike the first I was able to guess the killer correctly around half way through.
But it still was good enough to keep me guessing up until then.

The ending was also very satisfying! Chase finally manned up and asked Hartley out which just made me roll my eyes and and shout 'FINALLY' it was long ov
Navdha
When I want a fluffy, fun little read I know which author to turn to. Gemma Halliday's writing style can never fail to make me laugh even in the most inappropriate situations.

This book could have been better on so many levels. It was like any other chic-flick with no real twist. It couldn't have been more predictable. From the moment the book started with Sydney, I knew who was gonna die, or when Hartley was going to be attacked or how she was going to figure things out or who the real murderer
Isamlq
May 18, 2012 Isamlq rated it liked it
3.5/5

So here’s to sophomore installments that to meet the the standard the first one’s set. Social Suicide is just as funny as the first. It’s a very good mix of high school high jinks, crossed signals, as well as… murder and mayhem? One need not be surprised by how funny things could get with Hart on the case. Minus the distraction that Josh offered, Hart still made some funny calls, normally with BFF Sam at her side. But I still enjoyed the fluff this one offered. It was her over the top reac
Erica Alyson
Some spoilers to book 1 and maybe a little 2

Okay so I love this book but the stars are really about a 3.5 only because I just read book 1 and this felt like the same book to me just different crime and suspect but everything else was about the same. Examples below...
-A crime takes place and Hartley finds the body
-Cop on the seen is Riley
-She decided to find the killer with the help of Sam (Kyle Sam's boyfriend helped a little too) and Chase
-She looks and gets tips and that person ends up hurt
-Sh
Dec 27, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
After reading Deadly Cool - the first book in the series - I was convinced I would never be able to read about anything but Hartley and her great, funny, dangerous (well...kind of) mystery stories. I was so into her world and her character and her voice - it was amazing! So amazing that I had to preorder Social Suicide immediately, couldn't wait to start it and didn't want it to end.

Honestly, Deadly Cool and Social Suicide are amazing novels that make me laugh and forget reality. The perfect mix
Gabby
May 08, 2012 Gabby rated it really liked it
I wasn't a big fan of the last book, but this one seems to be far better than the first, I never realized how full of humor , quirky and cute this book is... I thought I have heard every internet slang there is but never have I encountered the word TWITTERCIDE! oh my! the main reason I've grabbed and read this book is because of the interesting summary and it mentioned the word twittercide? HAH! and I just really adore Hartly... reading her thoughts just made me laugh up until the last page of t ...more
Liss Bolado
Jul 17, 2015 Liss Bolado rated it really liked it
Honestly I think that the story is a little slow but it still is one of my favorite books! I can't wait for the last book of the trilogy
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable, #2)
  • Ghost Flower
  • The Dead Girls Detective Agency (The Dead Girls Detective Agency #1)
  • Wicked Little Secrets (Prep School Confidential, #2)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)
  • Glimmer
  • Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved, #3)
  • Fury
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Dark Eyes (Dark Eyes, #1)
  • Glass Heart (Cold Kiss, #2)
119376
Gemma had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up. She worked as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic, before finally selling her first book, Spying in High Heels, in 2005 and deciding to be a writer.

Since then, Gemma has written several mystery novels
More about Gemma Halliday...

Deadly Cool (3 books)
  • Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1)
  • Wicked Games (Deadly Cool, #3)

“The first thing I did was run. Okay, actually the first thing I did was scream, lose my balance, flail my arms in the air like some kind of uncoordinated bird, then slide down the side of the tree and land on my butt.

Then I ran.”
65 likes
“Mental face palm. Suddenly I wasn't sure there was enough room on the campus for both me and his ego.” 38 likes