Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)

Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,937 ratings  ·  311 reviews
Twittercide: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper's brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big...more
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
60th out of 142 books — 839 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren OliverReached by Ally CondieThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 Releases I'm Most Excited For
66th out of 272 books — 350 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Think you've heard it all? Think again! Twittercide... Death by Twitter? Not the worst way to go I suppose... *Eyes her Twitter suspiciously*

Yep, she is at it again; finding dead bodies is basically a regular pastime for our dear old Hartley. I adored her in Deadly Cool; she's still a fantastic protagonist in this sequel and I continue to love her attitude. Regardless of her wit, though, we clearly see some more maturity in her character. She is clever in her cunning ways, and knows when to stan...more
Ariana
'Oh, fantastic amounts of fluffin' fudge.' ;))

This book is hilarious!
In fact there are no words to describe how much I enjoyed this book and how my face hurt from so much laughing. I don’t think there is one page in the whole book without a tiny little joke.

So, before starting to learn how to say 'hilarious' in at least 7 different languages, I will tell you what I liked about this book (and then, maybe you’ll tell the word for ‘hilarious’ in your language, and I’ll get to skip using google tra...more
Anushka
Social Suicide was as predictable as Deadly Cool , from the first page itself we had an idea who the killer was...so in the mystery department this book deserves maximum 3 stars. But I'll give it 4 for the narration, its just so hilarious.

I love love love the characters! Hartley, Sam and Chase have to be one of the coolest trio. All of them are so funny, sensible and stupid at the same time.
And holy fluffin' fluff Chase is H-O-T, I totally have a crush on that guy, plus Hartley and his dev...more
Anne

Ehhhhhhhh.

The Good

Hartley and Chase have super-cute chemistry.
And some of Hartley's inner monologue is funny. Usually the stuff involving Chase...which brings us back to the super-cute chemistry thing.

The Not So Good

I get that for this to be a murder/mystery, someone has to die. I also get that our intrepid heroine needs to be involved in the resolution of said murder. What I don't get is why the author couldn't come up with some reason for Hartley to be 'on the case' that was within...more
Renu
In the sequel to Deadly Cool we have a murder mystery, laugh-out-loud moments, Twittercide, crazy antics, and even some romance!

Hartley is now a member of the school newspaper. On her way to an interview with homecoming Queen-hopeful she discovers Sydney Sander's dead body in a pool, and it looks as if she's been electrocuted while tweeting...Twittercide. Once again, Hartley finds herself in the midst of a murder investigation...

I love Hartley, she is, in my opinion one the funniest YA heroines...more
Rachel (BAVR)
The second book in the Deadly Cool series features all of the fun humor and mystery I enjoyed in the first installment. And by all, I mean freaking ALL of the same things I enjoyed before.

This story followed a very, VERY close formula to the first (LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD):
- Girl is found dead.
- Hartley takes it upon herself to prove girl was murdered.
- Hartley comes up with lots of bad ideas and lies to adults AND authorities.
- Inconsequential flirting with Chase.
- More people get hurt.
- Hartley...more
Mitch
Anything by Gemma Halliday's always ridiculous fun, I've read a couple of her High Heels books and the first installment in this series, Deadly Cool, but Social Suicide is just on another level. There are plenty of sassy girl detectives, I mean there's an entire genre around them, reporters, interior decorators, dogwalkers, plus-sized innkeepers, confectionary shop owners, White House chefs, well, you get the picture, but Hartley Featherstone has them all beat in terms of sassy fun.

Seriously, wh...more
Jessie

This is a rant.
Warning: Spoilers Ahead

I can't believe Chase didn't make a move till the end of the book, I mean he was constantly hinting that he liked Hartley, but he just kept on making her appear all awkward by hinting a date that actually wasn't. I mean that scene was like, really awkward. And he didn't even apologize for misleading her. I know I won't ever forgive him for that if I was Hartley. Plus, why did he think Hartley would blame him for the whole thing, and what the hell is "So we'r...more
Mickey (I'm A Book Shark)
See full review here!

This is a hilarious murder mystery YA novel! The sequel to Deadly Cool, Social Suicide is funny, smart, and slightly irresistible. Hartley is crime-solving, super-reporting, downright hysterical main character filled to the brim with quips and curiosity. She's always in the middle of trouble, whether by accident or on purpose. Can she get to the bottom of a cheating scheme at her high school that leads to murder? Read on, readers!

Hartley has a lot to deal with in he...more
bekah
(view spoiler)...more
Tabatha
This'll eventually be posted on my blog:

So.. I'll admit it, I've waited a few days (okay: ten, happy now?) to write this review. 'Why?' I hear you ask.. Because it was sofreakingepicandididn'twanttosoundlikesomementalpersonwhoisobsessedwiththisbookeventhoughireallyreallyambyrantingaboutitforhoursonendwithoutbreathingandendingupfaintingorsomthingequallyweird! And breathe..

*clears throat awkwardly*
Let me rephrase that: This book? In one word? Supercalifragilisicexpialidocious (yep, casually quot...more
Zahra
For all those non-patients of middle-book-syndrome like this one, can I get whut whut?

WHUT WHUT.

Haha. That was your daily dose of cheesy brought to you by my comedic self, you're welcome and goodnight everybody!

Well anyway. That was also pretty good! See, I just don't even know what to say lol. I've RUN OUT OF THINGS TO FREAKING SAY, GUYS. I mean, I guess I could just name all the things I liked about it:

1. The humor that actually made me laugh out loud
2. Chase
3. Hartley
4. Sam and her crazy shir...more
Erica Alyson
Some spoilers to book 1 and maybe a little 2

Okay so I love this book but the stars are really about a 3.5 only because I just read book 1 and this felt like the same book to me just different crime and suspect but everything else was about the same. Examples below...
-A crime takes place and Hartley finds the body
-Cop on the seen is Riley
-She decided to find the killer with the help of Sam (Kyle Sam's boyfriend helped a little too) and Chase
-She looks and gets tips and that person ends up hurt
-Sh...more
Maria
May 10, 2012 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, e-book
I recommend Social Suicide.

*****

Well, i didn't laugh my pants off while reading Social Suicide. However, the fun was constant throughout the book. I chuckled time after time! I didn't even try to guess who the culprit was because i'd rather enjoy Hartley's wacky investigation on the murder. and I did. :)

Sam's a standout in this sequel. I lover her deadpans! and Chase... Ha! Even i will be as clumsy and assuming as Hartley was when it came to him. C'mon, Gemma Halliday, give me more Chase swoon m...more
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
I adore this series. It totally feeds into a more grown up Nancy Drew need I have. This series is fun, witty, and twisted. Gemma Halliday does a wonderful job keeping things moving and quick. I never once got bored with this novel, nor with its prequel. It’s great to grab a book and breeze through it in an afternoon.

Hartley is one of the best narrators I’ve ever read in a novel. Maybe it’s because she’s an intrepid reporter, maybe it’s because she’s a total smart ass, but I love her to pieces. S...more
Jenny
Rating: 3.5/5

Social Suicide is a cute follow up to Gemma Halliday’s young adult debut Deadly Cool, drawing us laughingly back into Hartley’s world as she stumbles across yet another dead body and takes it upon herself to play the inexperienced and somewhat inept detective. Though the humor and the fun relationships between Hartley, her best friend Sam, and high school newspaper bad-boy editor Chase are light and entertaining, this installment does seem to read a touch younger than the first book...more
Kereesa
Just as hilarious as the first one, Social Suicide doesn't fail to deliver an exciting, hilarious plot, wonderful characters, and a little, little bite of the romance we all know we're waiting to explode.

(view spoiler)

I'm not a big fan of delving into long-winded reviews for sequels, especially if I honestly don't have much to say besides fangirling! it was pretty awesome.

So yeah. This book? I lurves it. I also...more
Asmaa
After reading two emotional heavy books in a row, a nice light fluffy read was seriously in need; and who is better than Gemma Halliday and her Deadly Cool series to lighten the mood?

What I first noticed and mostly liked about the book was Sam’s attempt (which rubbed off on Hartley) to censor using alternate words like fluffing, and fudge, which reminded me a lot of:

Hartley Featherstone is still one of my most favorite female characters: she’s smart, funny, sarcastic, headstrong, and has that Ve...more
Thea Silayro
If you've read Deadly Cool and liked it, then you might just like this too. If you've read Deadly Cool and wasn't exactly gobsmacked by it, I doubt this book will interest you. The thing is, Deadly Cool and Social Suicide are alike in so many ways.

In this book, Hartley continues her "Nancy Drew" escapades. She hears of the death of a popular cheerleader in school via electrocution. Everybody thinks it's suicide, but Hartley doesn't think so. Her detective instincts lead her to the belief that it...more
Marie
Another brilliant addition to this series.
Enjoyed it as much as the first- even though I will always prefer te first since it was the start-up and it's where we all got introduced to the charachters.

Unlike the first I was able to guess the killer correctly around half way through.
But it still was good enough to keep me guessing up until then.

The ending was also very satisfying! Chase finally manned up and asked Hartley out which just made me roll my eyes and and shout 'FINALLY' it was long ov...more
Abbie
I'll admit, I enjoyed the previous book more than I enjoyed this one but I still loved Social Suicide. It was witty, cleverly-written and kept me guessing until the last second.

So Hartley is on the school paper with her yummy crush Chase Erikson. She's assigned to write a story about Sydney Sander's cheating scandal. But just before they meet for the interview Hartley finds Sydney's eletrocuted body in the pool. It looked like an accident but Hartley knows there is always more to the story than...more
Navdha
When I want a fluffy, fun little read I know which author to turn to. Gemma Halliday's writing style can never fail to make me laugh even in the most inappropriate situations.

This book could have been better on so many levels. It was like any other chic-flick with no real twist. It couldn't have been more predictable. From the moment the book started with Sydney, I knew who was gonna die, or when Hartley was going to be attacked or how she was going to figure things out or who the real murderer...more
Isamlq
3.5/5

So here’s to sophomore installments that to meet the the standard the first one’s set. Social Suicide is just as funny as the first. It’s a very good mix of high school high jinks, crossed signals, as well as… murder and mayhem? One need not be surprised by how funny things could get with Hart on the case. Minus the distraction that Josh offered, Hart still made some funny calls, normally with BFF Sam at her side. But I still enjoyed the fluff this one offered. It was her over the top reac...more
Gabby
I wasn't a big fan of the last book, but this one seems to be far better than the first, I never realized how full of humor , quirky and cute this book is... I thought I have heard every internet slang there is but never have I encountered the word TWITTERCIDE! oh my! the main reason I've grabbed and read this book is because of the interesting summary and it mentioned the word twittercide? HAH! and I just really adore Hartly... reading her thoughts just made me laugh up until the last page of t...more
 May
Feb 15, 2012 May marked it as to-read
Deadly Cool was amazeballs! Hartley Featherstone is quite the Veronica Mars.
I love YA murder mysteries ( What can I say? Something about young people killing each other just gets me) and they are really hard to come by so when they do I snap up 'em.
I mean what with the the entire population gobbling up paranormal romance which I can't and won't read anymore, there are few books left in the YA territory I actually look forward too.
This book is one of them. I mean, it can't get cooler than Twit...more
Franz Megan
This is fluffin' amazing and fudgin' hilarious. :DD Can't stop smiling or laughing while reading this. And when Chase and Hartley were together, I was like...

glee excited gif Pictures, Images and Photos

I like their kind of romance, they are developing with each other.
I REALLY HOPE there will be a third book :D
Emily
I loved this book, it only took me two an a half hours lol. Although personally they said dude and mental face palm way to much, if I hear the word dude one time in the next month it will be way to much. Also I wish Chase and Hartley's relationship would've picked up faster. Overall great book.
♥ ĸαяα ♥
2.5 / 5 stars -

Painfully predictable, but it was exactly the sort of fluff I needed. (:
Nick
Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

Deadly Cool was one of my favorite books of 2011. With her sarcastic and witty attitude, Hartley Featherstone charmed me! Social Suicide was one of my most anticipated books of 2012 and when I finally got the book, I was honestly very excited. The cover of the book only heightened my interest. Look at how pretty it is ! Needless to say, Social Suicide wasn't one of those books with a deceiving cover.

Hartley Featherstone is back ! She's now working for T...more
SPF9: Sun-Proof F...: SOCIAL SUICIDE by Gemma Halliday 1 7 Jun 12, 2012 03:05PM
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2)
  • The Dead Girls Detective Agency
  • Ghost Flower
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Decked with Holly
  • A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)
  • Torched
  • Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)
  • Glimmer
  • 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
  • Smart Girls Get What They Want
  • Purity
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • 7 Clues to Winning You
119376
Gemma had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up. She worked as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic, before finally selling her first book, Spying in High Heels, in 2005 and deciding to be a writer.

Since then, Gemma has written several mystery novels...more
More about Gemma Halliday...
Spying in High Heels (High Heels, #1) Killer in High Heels (High Heels, #2) Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3) Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1) Alibi in High Heels (High Heels, #4)

“The first thing I did was run. Okay, actually the first thing I did was scream, lose my balance, flail my arms in the air like some kind of uncoordinated bird, then slide down the side of the tree and land on my butt.

Then I ran.”
59 likes
“Mental face palm. Suddenly I wasn't sure there was enough room on the campus for both me and his ego.” 37 likes