Start by marking “The Fifth Sun” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Sun

The Fifth Sun

Winner of the 3rd Annual Miguel Mrmol Prize from Curbstone Press, Mary Helen Lagasse's The Fifth Sun is an inspiring story of an immigrant who struggles valiantly for a better life for herself and her family. The young Mexican woman, Mercedes, leaves her village to work as a housemaid in New Orleans. This fast-paced novel takes her through her adventures in New Orleans, ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Curbstone Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Sun

Greta
Aug 24, 2015 Greta rated it liked it
New Orleans stories have been of interest to me since my one & only visit to this fascinating city. The Fifth Sun is written from the perspective of a young Mexican woman in the early 20th century. Unfortunately circumstances have not changed very much in the last 100 years with regard to those who want leave their Mexican homeland for the United States.
Laila
Jul 20, 2008 Laila rated it it was ok
I only finished this because parts of it took place in New Orleans.
Paul
Apr 22, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
This novel is about Mercedes Vasconcelos, a young Mexican woman convinced that the road to a better life for her and her growing family passes through the United States.

Set in the early 20th century, Mercedes is used to poverty while growing up in Mexico. Armed with a name and address, she takes a boat to New Orleans, to make a better life for herself. Around this time, she has a child out of wedlock, and is told, in effect, don’t come home.

Life is hard in 1930s New Orleans, but Mercedes becomes
Sierra
Nov 29, 2015 Sierra rated it liked it
I had to read this book for school. It wasn't torture to read, which is always appreciated. It was a pretty enjoyable read, there were just a lot of things I didn't like about it. I'm never a fan of books that cover a big period of time like this one, because I always feel like I'm missing out on things. I also didn't like the random characters that would appear for a paragraph or a chapter, seemingly have no purpose, and then disappear again. That's very realistic to how life is, I realize, but ...more
Gianna Mosser
Jun 08, 2014 Gianna Mosser rated it really liked it
This historical novel feels entirely engaged with a collective experience and singular at the same time. Mercedes is a protagonist that Lagasse creates with an almost journalistic distance from her subject, which allows the reader to see into the darkest corners of human interaction.
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Judi
Judi rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Colleen Mooney
Colleen Mooney rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2009
Ti Davis
Ti Davis rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Wally
Wally rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2008
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2007
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2011
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Mark Bailey
Mark Bailey marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jan 19, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
620447
She is bilingual: American by birth, Latina by heritage. She received her degree from Tulane University, taught English Literature at private schools in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans.

Before turning to literary fiction, she worked as a freelance writer. Her stories having appeared in all major publications in and around New Orleans. Her articles ran the gamut of political, social, cultural, and
More about Mary Helen Lagasse...