Start by marking “Das geheime Haus des Todes” as Want to Read:
Das geheime Haus des Todes

Das geheime Haus des Todes

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Susan Townsend hat sich nie richtig in dem Londoner Vorort eingelebt, in dem die Frauen scheinbar keine andere Beschäftigung haben, als Klatsch zu verbreiten. Aber auch ihr kommt der Besucher ihrer Nachbarin Louise North verdächtig vor. Doch dann bittet Louise sie um ihre Hilfe, und Susan wird in Ereignisse hineingezogen, die ihr Leben schlagartig verändern …
Published 1993 by Honos (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Das geheime Haus des Todes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das geheime Haus des Todes

Vera VB
Een heel beklemmend boek waarin veel niet gezegd wordt dat beter uitgesproken zou worden.
Heather en Ismay, twee zussen wonen samen in een appartement, boven hen woont hun moeder en tante Pamela. Ismay denkt dat Heather als kind hun stiefvader in bad verdronken heeft. Sindsdien is hun moeder schizofreen, krankzinning, komt er geen zinnig woord meer uit. Tante Pamela verzorgt haar. Die tante is op zoek naar een man. Heather heeft een man ontmoed, en ook Ismay heeft in Andrew de man van haar leven
Kim
A woman is found dead in her home with a salesman thought to be her lover. The dead woman's husband and the salesman's wife appear to know one another. From the perspective of a divorced neighbor who is reluctant to get involved and a man who cares about the neighbor. I enjoyed this book and liked the fact that there wasn't a detective as the central character.
Stefania
Abbastanza scontato: vittime e assassini si indovinano già dalle prime pagine, l'unico elemento che resta un po' nebuloso fino a quasi la fine del libro è il movente.
Barbara
Ruth Rendell rarely leaves me unsatisfied and for me this book continued to meet her high standards.

Unlike some of her mysteries where I can still find myself wondering who has committed the crime till the final pages, in this story, like the police detective investigating the deaths, the hunch comes early as to who has committed the crime ... the 'joy' comes in having your hunch realised and in reading how the key players unravel the truth ...
Catherine Meza
Who could resist a book with the title "The Secret House of Death"? Not I, and I'm glad I didn't. A slender volume with plenty of twists and turns, all of the characters are solidly fleshed out (except perhaps the enigmatic police inspector, Ulph, but he is not important here), and the descriptions, as always, take me to London without the air fare. Solid Rendell, and that's saying something.
Linda Rowland
As I was shopping for the Inspector Wexford series I came across the first three of R.R.'s books. I had to get them and read them almost without stopping. They are short, about 200 pages each, and not a series. They remind me of the Wexford books more than the later novels.
Liz
Having read and loved Ruth Rendell’s Wexford mysteries, I decided to try some of her other books, and I wasn’t disappointed. In The Secret House of Death, you know from the start that the “affair” next door probably isn’t what the neighbors think it is. When the suspected lovers are found dead in what is ruled as a murder-suicide, many people associated with the pair have a piece of the puzzle, but only when they all come together can you see what really happened. This is an early Rendell, and b ...more
Teresa
Very few characters to get wrapped up in, so all the more suspenseful to learn the eventual truth of the mystery.
Abbey
1969, murder next door, in a nice neighborhood; femjep suspenser.

Death of a not very well-known neighbor leads to increasingly dangerous circumstances for a nice single mom, as events around her spiral down into darkness.

Lead character is far too wimpy for my taste even given the time period, but otherwise this is a well-plotted and well-paced tale of bad guys and bad tempers gone awry. Not her best, but this early work is entertaining.
Minnie
Het stille huis is een boek dat mij niet echt kon boeien. Heb er zelfs een ander boek tussendoor gelezen. Ik had al een teleurstellend boek gelezen van Ruth Rendell, maar op 1 ervaring kun je toch niet afgaan dacht ik? Maar ook dit boek vond ik niet de moeite en krijgt van mij **

Carolyn
The plot was incredibly predictable. I had guessed the denouement by the end of the first chapter and that NEVER happens for me. The book was slow as well.
Antonia
Ruth Rendell wrought a wicked plot here--she is a master of human nature, and this one does not disappoint. It is one of her older stories, but wow!
Lisa
not what you think it will be at all nor who you think it will be! cleverly crafted who done it in which all is not what meets the eye.
Rae
A very open neighborhood love affair ends up in murder. The question, as always, is whodunit? This is not one of Rendell's best mysteries.
David Zerangue
Fairly complex plot but not necessarily best delivered. Purely a mystery, not so much a thriller. Perfect airplane book.
Lisa
A good old fashioned English murder mystery. I enjoyed it. Though is was completely predictable.
Ann M
Good basic mystery and she writes well. A bit dated, sociologically speaking.
Annick Esselen
Ze heeft al betere boeken geschreven.
Teresa
Teresa added it
Dec 27, 2014
Lychee
Lychee added it
Dec 26, 2014
John Hannon
John Hannon is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Killer Dolphin (Roderick Alleyn, #24)
  • The Reaper
  • An Air That Kills (Lydmouth, #1)
  • Afgunst
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Erken mij
  • Innocent Blood
  • The End of the Pier
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)