Start by marking “Das geheime Haus des Todes” as Want to Read:
Das geheime Haus des Todes

Das geheime Haus des Todes

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Susan Townsend hat sich nie richtig in dem Londoner Vorort eingelebt, in dem die Frauen scheinbar keine andere Beschäftigung haben, als Klatsch zu verbreiten. Aber auch ihr kommt der Besucher ihrer Nachbarin Louise North verdächtig vor. Doch dann bittet Louise sie um ihre Hilfe, und Susan wird in Ereignisse hineingezogen, die ihr Leben schlagartig verändern …
Published 1993 by Honos (first published 1968)

Iblena
La ventaja de leer un autor desde sus comienzos es ser testigo en primera fila de cómo va evolucionando su trabajo y mejorando en el oficio de crear historias…comparándola con otros primeras novelas de Rendell –independientes de su personaje estrella, el Inspector Wexford- La casa secreta de la muerte, cuenta con un argumento mejor hilvanado y con personajes más creíbles.. Los culpables se conocen desde el principio y el interés principal radica en acompañar al protagonista a juntar las piezas p ...more
Kim
Feb 20, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-r
A woman is found dead in her home with a salesman thought to be her lover. The dead woman's husband and the salesman's wife appear to know one another. From the perspective of a divorced neighbor who is reluctant to get involved and a man who cares about the neighbor. I enjoyed this book and liked the fact that there wasn't a detective as the central character.
Stefania
Mar 05, 2013 Stefania rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, giochi-vari
Abbastanza scontato: vittime e assassini si indovinano già dalle prime pagine, l'unico elemento che resta un po' nebuloso fino a quasi la fine del libro è il movente.
Louise Culmer
Susan Townsend is a divorcee who lives next door to an unhappily married couple, the Norths. Louise North is rumoured to be having an affair, then she and her supposed lover, Bernard Heller, are found dead by Susan. it is presumed that Bernard shot Louise and then himself. But Bernard's friend David Chadwick suspects that things are not as simple as they seem., and sets out to uncover the truth. This is a reasonably interesting mystery, though Susan's role is mostly a passive one, david does all ...more
Barbara
Jun 09, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Rendell rarely leaves me unsatisfied and for me this book continued to meet her high standards.

Unlike some of her mysteries where I can still find myself wondering who has committed the crime till the final pages, in this story, like the police detective investigating the deaths, the hunch comes early as to who has committed the crime ... the 'joy' comes in having your hunch realised and in reading how the key players unravel the truth ...
Catherine Meza
Jun 23, 2014 Catherine Meza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who could resist a book with the title "The Secret House of Death"? Not I, and I'm glad I didn't. A slender volume with plenty of twists and turns, all of the characters are solidly fleshed out (except perhaps the enigmatic police inspector, Ulph, but he is not important here), and the descriptions, as always, take me to London without the air fare. Solid Rendell, and that's saying something.
Julie scott
Oct 15, 2015 Julie scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely the worst book I have ever read so very boring boring. I couldn't get into this novel at all the characters were dull and not à bit interesting just like the story it reminded me of the old English crime shows "Poirot by Agatha Christie and " Midsummer Murders".As the Fleetwood Mac song goes "Never Going Back Again". For me giving this novel 1is being generous ...more
Linda Rowland
Apr 25, 2014 Linda Rowland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was shopping for the Inspector Wexford series I came across the first three of R.R.'s books. I had to get them and read them almost without stopping. They are short, about 200 pages each, and not a series. They remind me of the Wexford books more than the later novels.
Liz
Nov 10, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read and loved Ruth Rendell’s Wexford mysteries, I decided to try some of her other books, and I wasn’t disappointed. In The Secret House of Death, you know from the start that the “affair” next door probably isn’t what the neighbors think it is. When the suspected lovers are found dead in what is ruled as a murder-suicide, many people associated with the pair have a piece of the puzzle, but only when they all come together can you see what really happened. This is an early Rendell, and b ...more
Teresa
Oct 13, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very few characters to get wrapped up in, so all the more suspenseful to learn the eventual truth of the mystery.
Kathleen O'Nan
This was the least favorite of the dozen or so Ruth Rendell books I've read so far. Very slow and too predictable.
Bruna
Nov 14, 2015 Bruna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giallo-classico
Ottimo giallo, con una soluzione tutt'altro che banale.
Joanne
Apr 29, 2015 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I want from a mystery. I was delighted to find a Ruth Rendell I hadn't read.
Eric Gittins
Dec 15, 2015 Eric Gittins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual a very good story teller.
Paul
Jan 31, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wishing Ruth Rendell a speedy recovery and read this oldie in honor of her. A decent compact tale with some nice characters.
Barnaby
I really didn't get on with this. It was readable and interesting to a point, I just couldn't motivate myself to continue picking it up (which is rare for a Ruth Rendell novel). She may be one of the best writers the English language has had, but this one wasn't of her normal standard (though of course, with an output of over 70 novels, she's allowed one or two not-so-great ones).

Date read: 31 August 2015.
Published by Penguin Random House through Arrow.
R.L.
Jan 31, 2015 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I had a hard time putting this book down. The story starts out with fine descriptions of what the various characters were doing in the course of daily life. This brilliantly helped to define the characters as they then faced trials that include murder and deception. The reader knows fairly early on what is what but Ms Rendell slowly unfolds the case as the different people within the story try to piece together what really happened. Well done.
Abbey
1969, murder next door, in a nice neighborhood; femjep suspenser.

Death of a not very well-known neighbor leads to increasingly dangerous circumstances for a nice single mom, as events around her spiral down into darkness.

Lead character is far too wimpy for my taste even given the time period, but otherwise this is a well-plotted and well-paced tale of bad guys and bad tempers gone awry. Not her best, but this early work is entertaining.
Carolyn
Oct 20, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
The plot was incredibly predictable. I had guessed the denouement by the end of the first chapter and that NEVER happens for me. The book was slow as well.
Antonia
Oct 30, 2013 Antonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Rendell wrought a wicked plot here--she is a master of human nature, and this one does not disappoint. It is one of her older stories, but wow!
Lisa
Sep 26, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not what you think it will be at all nor who you think it will be! cleverly crafted who done it in which all is not what meets the eye.
Rae
May 26, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A very open neighborhood love affair ends up in murder. The question, as always, is whodunit? This is not one of Rendell's best mysteries.
David Zerangue
Fairly complex plot but not necessarily best delivered. Purely a mystery, not so much a thriller. Perfect airplane book.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old fashioned English murder mystery. I enjoyed it. Though is was completely predictable.
Ann M
Good basic mystery and she writes well. A bit dated, sociologically speaking.
Peter
Sep 15, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterful.
Amanda Patterson
Aug 22, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Jess
Jess added it
Apr 30, 2016
Tricia Ebbs
Tricia Ebbs rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • An Air That Kills (Lydmouth, #1)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Making Things Better
  • Killer Dolphin (Roderick Alleyn, #24)
  • The Death Pit
  • Innocent Blood
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • Skinner's Ghosts
  • Killing Cassidy (Dorothy Martin, #6)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Puppet For A Corpse
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries and above all for Inspector Wexford.
More about Ruth Rendell...